Start by marking “The One Man” as Want to Read:
The One Man

The One Man

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  9,557 Ratings  ·  1,450 Reviews
1944. Physics professor Alfred Mendl is separated from his family and sent to the men’s camp, where all of his belongings are tossed on a roaring fire. His books, his papers, his life’s work. The Nazis have no idea what they have just destroyed. And without that physical record, Alfred is one of only two people in the world with his particular knowledge. Knowledge that cou ...more
Published August 23rd 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The One Man, please sign up.
Diana It's an awesome book. The images that you would already associate with this content are there, but nothing more untoward than that. You already know…moreIt's an awesome book. The images that you would already associate with this content are there, but nothing more untoward than that. You already know the living conditions were abysmal. You already know--or should--that there were gas "showers" and crematoriums, You will appreciate the work of the resistance, the courage, strength, and dignity displayed in desperate situations.
(less)
Emily Murphy I would start with The Nightingale or All the Light You Cannot See. They are not quite as heavy as this one. This book is excellent, but intense.

Jennifer Masterson
All the stars!!! Every single one! This was absolutely wonderful! "The One Man" is a novel that I will never forget! This book is part historical fiction and part thriller. The story grabbed me from the very beginning and never let go! This is very suspenseful and fast paced. At times I was holding my breath! It is a race against time!

The novel takes place during WWII. It's about a rescue mission to find and rescue one of the only scientist with the knowledge of making the atomic bomb, Professor
Norma * Traveling Sister
Wow! This book definitely deserves 5 ***** stars from me!!!!! This was an absolutely amazing Historical Thriller that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish!!

THE ONE MAN by ANDREW GROSS was an absolutely riveting, exciting, haunting, and suspenseful read with a solid plot that grabbed my attention from the very first chapter and had me on the edge of my seat in anticipation of that oh so exciting climax! I was extremely excited after reading this book that I had to share my excitement with my
Diane S ☔
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 What a fantastic thriller, though it takes place in one of the most terrible and in the most horrific circumstances, ever created by man. Decided to give psychological thrillers a rest and return to police procedural and historical thrillers, and am so glad I did. I love this author, once met him at a book fair, and after reading Britany's review, (thanks, friend), knew I had to grab this one.

A rescue mission to find and bring out the one man who can shorten the time needed to complete the m
PorshaJo
Wow! What a ride. I can't believe this is my second 5-star book so far this year. But this book deserves 5 stars. I read some reviews on this last year and added it to my massive to-read pile. I tend to gravitate to books about WWII. But it sat there.....until I saw that the audio version was narrated by Edoardo Ballerini and it was moved to the top of my list immediately.

During the war, there was a race to develop an atomic bomb. The US wants to rush and be the first, to win the war and to stop
Elyse
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm spent....completely drained.
Emotional - riveting and suspenseful.

Reading this novel felt like watching a big epic movie.
A WWII thriller on steroids!

FANTASTIC historical thriller-chiller!!!!!

*There are several stellar reviews......I need a review break and a nap!

Dem
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, war, ww2
4.5 Stars >

A fast, compelling, and compulsively readable historical thriller. This is one that had me reading into the early hours of the morning and I hated parting with these extremely well formed and mostly likable characters.

Set in 1944 Alfred Mendle is held in Auschwitz prison camp., Alfred is a brilliant professor who's knowledge is required to in the race to make the first atomic bomb. While scientists all over the world are working on different formulas and equations, there are only
*TANYA*
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
PHENOMENAL!!! The anguish I felt, my heart was pumping tenfold. I haven't read anything like this in a very long time, my adrenaline was soaring through the roof!! This book completely engrossed me. RIVETING from beginning to the very end!
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book description:

Poland. 1944
Alfred Mendl and his family are brought on a crowded train to a Nazi concentration camp after being caught trying to flee Paris with forged papers.
He is instantly separated from his family. He has knowledge that others will want, but they burn everything he has.

Thousands of miles away Nathan Blum routinely decodes messages from occupied Poland. He already escaped the Krakow ghetto as a teenager after the Nazis executed his family.

This book has compelling characters
Phrynne
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
Although this book is shelved the most as historical fiction it is quite definitely a thriller as well! I sat on the edge of my seat the whole way through and sometimes had to put the book down a while just to release some of the stress!
The book is mostly set in Auschwitz during WW2 and there is plenty of historically accurate detail about the way people lived and died in the death camps. The fictional story is set into this background and comes across as almost believable, especially as the au
Linda
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I hardly have enough strength left to write a review, after finishing this book late last night. Not only did I give up three hours of sleep to finish it, because I could not possibly rest, without knowing how it ended, but the storyline was emotionally and physically draining. This book was 400+ pages of racing against all odds.

I've always been drawn to books about the Holocaust. It started while reading "The Diary of Anne Frank," as a young girl. All the ones I've read were based on individual
*Avonna
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I recommend this book highly for all lovers of historical fiction thrillers!

The One Man by Andrew Gross is one of my favorite books so far this year! I love stories set in the WWII era of history and then the author added twists and turns that have you constantly on the edge of your seat. I didn’t want to put this book down. I will warn you though, the last scene set in the past had me crying buckets.

This book has many threads of plot. You are shown the race to be the first to construct an atomi
Erin Clemence
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
During World War Two, a young Polish soldier escapes the work camps and enlists as an American soldier. When he is asked (by the President of the United States) to go back into Auschwitz to locate a “very important scientific mind”, he is given minimal details but agrees anyway. Knowing it is likely a suicide mission, Nathan Blum sneaks into the place he was so desperate to escape from, in search of a man he has never met in hopes of saving the world.
This is “The One Man” by Andrew Gross. Gros
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed The One Man! What a great idea for a thriller! For me it was an exciting, unique and an interesting historical thriller.

The One Man is a tale of one man, Nathan Blum, who is sent on a heroic and courageous mission to rescue one man, electromagnetic physics professor Alfred Mendl from a concentration camp. Blum was only given 72 hours to find and rescue Mendl. Blum’s determination to make a difference had me rooting even more for his success as he raced against time to complete h
Lori
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One word... Fantastic! I enjoy going in 'blind' to novels, mainly, so that I don't have any preconceived notions to influence my expectations... I only knew it had high stars from others. Boy, oh, boy, was it good. Easily in my top 5 books of the year. Fast paced with endearing characters, I highly recommend... especially if you like WWII fiction. 5 stars.
abby
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is part historical fiction and part thriller, and it completely blew me away.

America is in a race with Germany to develop the atomic bomb. If the Third Reich beats them to it, the consequences could be dire. But the Allied effort is lagging behind in their so-called Manhattan Project. What they really need is the expertise of a Polish physicist, Alfred Mendl. He's rumored to be one of only two people alive with the necessary knowledge to help build the bomb-- the other is working with
Wendy
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aug-16
The One Man, by Andrew Gross, has to be one of the best WWII books I have read.
It is the fictional story of Polish Jew Nathan Blum, an intelligence officer in Washington, D.C., sent by the American government to Auschwitz to break out a highly important Jewish physicist who may hold the key to speeding up the development of the atomic bomb.
There was no question in giving this novel 5 stars as I was totally captivated with this complex and emotional story. This historical thriller had my heart r
Archit Ojha
Take all my stars!

Set in the era of World War II, Auschwitz, The One Man is a Historical Fiction cum Thriller uses a slow burn of suspense to get under your skin and reside there.

Professor Alfred Mendl, a German scientist, posses the knowledge of making bombs which is so dangerous that it can make Atlas shrug. Nathan Blum is the man who is asked to throw the caution to the wind and rescue the professor. The time is ticking. He has no options but to complete the task at hand.

The best scares are
Fran
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Poland. April,1944. Two prisoners escape from Auschwitz with detailed maps and evidence of mass liquidation of "immaterial, frightened Jews". Aided by the Polish resistance, they make their way to Washington, D.C. with this documentation.

Professor Alfred Mendl is an expert in electromagnetic physics. His expertise is essential to the war effort. Attempts to smuggle him out of Nazi held territory have failed, Sent to Auschwitz, his life's work has been burned.

Nathan Blum nicknamed "the ferret" ha
Britany
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was my warm scone with a teapot steaming!! Pageturning goodness that I lapped up like clotted cream. A fast paced thriller surrounding... wait for it... the Holocaust/WWII (of which, I am obsessed with reading about). Ok-- just read that last part back and now I'm hungry.

This book was everything I'd hoped it would be and I could barely stand to put it down. A book that I found myself mentioning to everyone I came across, because I need people to talk about it with. The concept was geni
TamElaine
Bumping this one - because it's amazing...and deserves to be included in the Goodreads awards :) Also, because I just ordered a hard copy of it today for my Dad for his birthday - not waiting until Christmas - just too good.... Here's my original review below:

I talked to my husband about this book almost chapter by chapter. The book ended up on two lists - on my Christmas gift idea list to purchase for a few family members, and on my favourite books of 2016 list - While 2016 is only half way thr
Perry
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Holocaust Espionage: Exhilarating and Sophisticated
4.5

This novel is not only fiercely gripping and intelligent, it's keenly affecting with realistic characters. That is to say, it's a rare peacock that should enjoyed by the common reader as well as those seeking art in their reading.

And, it's the smartest thriller, espionage or otherwise, I've read since "I Am Pilgrim" a few years back. The author was inspired by his Polish pa-in-law to write this "Holocaust espionage novel," in which Dr. Alfred
Myrna
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Fantastic historical novel! A page turner that sucked me in and didn't let go till the end. The characters were wonderful too and I cared about them. Highly recommended! It would make a good movie.
Rhonda Ruff
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i cannot describe how much i loved this book I have read many ww2 books This one ripped my heart out but i had to keep turning pages So glad my friends on goodreads recommended it to me
Karen
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am convinced that bestselling Author Andrew Gross has written another chart-topper. This is a fast-paced and thrilling story, especially the second half, which was so suspenseful that I often caught myself biting my nails.

The Germans killed Nathan Blum’s entire family and he is living with massive guilt for not being there to save them. Nathan is now working as a junior analyst and translator when he is recruited by the highest level of government aka President Roosevelt for a top secret assi
Susan
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel begins with a daughter visiting her elderly, widowed father. She asks him to tell her about his life in WWII and so he recounts his history. This is a thriller set in the Second World War and tells of how an American Intelligence Officer (who had escaped Nazi Europe himself), Nathan Blum was convinced to return to Poland. The reason he was sent back was to rescue a Jewish physicist, Alfred Mendl, from Auschwitz. Mendl’s knowledge is essential for the Manhattan Project – the race to cr ...more
Aditi
“After the thing went off, after it was a sure thing that America could wipe out a city with just one bomb, a scientist turned to Father and said, 'Science has now known sin.' And do you know what Father said? He said, 'What is sin?”

----Kurt Vonnegut

Andrew Gross, an American best selling author, pens his exciting and intriguing new historical thriller, The One Man that revolves around an old dying man who narrates the story of his untold past about a braveheart who saved the future by risking
Dorie  ** Traveling Sister**
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While I wasn’t eager to revisit Auschwitz this book sounded too good to pass up. I’m glad that I read it, it’s a very special story, based loosely on facts that moved at a quick pace.

As everyone will know by the blurb, an American intelligence officer is sent in to Auschwitz to smuggle a scientist out. The Americans are in a race with the Germans to develop the first atomic bomb. The Manhattan Project is well underway but they feel that they need the Jewish physicist, Alfred Mendl, to finish th
Suzanne Leopold
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Genre: Historical Fiction/Thriller

The focus of this story is a man who escaped from Poland prior to World War 2. Nathan Blum is convinced by the US government to return to his homeland to rescue a man out of Auschwitz. The objective is Alfred Mendl, a physicist whose knowledge is crucial for the Manhattan Project.

This story moves quickly while Alfred is placed into Auschwitz and as Nathan breaks into the camp. This book centers mainly on the attempt to rescue Alfred and it's a quick suspenseful
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not my usual genre, but this was a fast-paced WWII thriller that I enjoyed immensely. Audio was outstanding.
Connie
4.5 stars. "The One Man" is an intense historical thriller set during World War II as the Americans race to beat the Nazis in building the ultimate weapon. Professor Alfred Mendl, a Polish Jewish physicist behind barbed wire in Auschwitz, possesses the knowledge needed to separate the uranium isotopes used in an atomic bomb.

Nathan Blum is experiencing survivor's guilt since he was the only member of his family to escape from Poland. He's working in the United States as a Polish translator for th
Play Book Tag: The One Man - Andrew Gross - 4* 8 16 Aug 29, 2018 05:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 3 20 Dec 08, 2016 06:17AM
Play Book Tag: The One Man by Andrew Gross - 5 Stars 3 30 Oct 22, 2016 11:40AM
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)
  • The German Girl
  • Woman of God
  • No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)
  • Damaged
  • The Wrong Side of Goodbye (Harry Bosch, #19; Harry Bosch Universe, #28)
  • The Whistler (The Whistler, #1)
  • Order to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #15)
  • Outfoxed (Andy Carpenter, #14)
  • The Colored Car
  • Sting
  • The Jealous Kind (Holland Family Saga, #2)
  • Ashes of Fiery Weather
  • World Odyssey (The World Duology, #1)
  • Rise the Dark (Mark Novak, #2)
  • Children of Wrath (Willi Kraus, #2)
  • The Good People
  • The End of Law: A Novel of Hitler's Germany
hubby, cook, dad, thriller writer (The Blue Zone, The Dark Tide, Don't Look Twice, and coming soon... Reckless). Love to hear from and meet my fans! Hope you enjoy the newest release RECKLESS, coming April 27, 2010.

Looking forward to sharing my bookshelf with you all, and hoping to get some new reading suggestions!

Become a Facebook Fan

Hope to see you on the tour...

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99