Start by marking “Sun, Sand, Murder (A Teddy Creque Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Sun, Sand, Murder (A Teddy Creque Mystery #1)

Sun, Sand, Murder

(A Teddy Creque Mystery #1)

As a Special Constable, Teddy Creque is the only police presence on the remote, sun-drenched island of Anegada, nestled in the heart of the British Virgin Islands. In all his years on the job, Teddy has never considered the possibility that he might have to address an actual crime on his peaceful island. That is, until he receives a hysterical call about a dead man on the ...more
Published September 13th 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Sun, Sand, Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun, Sand, Murder

Aisling
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally charmed by the island of Anegada and the Special Constable. Wonderful characters and island descriptions, masterful surprise and great plot. No surprise this one a First Crime novel award.
Fred Forbes
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Knowing that I am a big fan of the Virgin Islands, having been there on sailing and scuba trips, my brother-in-law recommended this book when he came across it. One island I was not able to visit was Anegada where this story takes place since one needs to have a professional guide along to navigate through Horseshoe Reef which has caused hundreds of shipwrecks over the years.

I did know, that unlike the other Virgin Islands, this one is not volcanic in origin and is low and flat, similar to the B
Neila
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book, but it sounded interesting. I thought maybe it would be a bit like "Death in Paradise," the BBC television show. It isn't at all, but the story was riveting just the same. I thought I had it all figured out, but I wasn't even close! I enjoyed it so much that I told my husband that it's HIS next book. Keyse-Walker deserved his Best First Crime Novel award.
Maureen
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Surprise !! This book was well written mystery. I had my doubts when I first got it so pleasant surprise. I loved the island setting. I would love to read the next book when it comes out.
Phair
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Wasn't sure I could like a mystery featuring a black constable on a minor island of the British Virgin Islands that was written by a white guy from Ohio who gave no indication via author note of any particular experience in that part of the world or its local culture. I was wrong. My scepticism rapidly melted away as I came to know Special Constable Teddy who, despite a few flaws was interested in seeing justice done in the face of the indifference and incompetence of his superiors. The twist at ...more
Victoria
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley, St. Martin's Press and Minotaur Books for the ARC of this mystery. It was a pleasant diversion and I enjoyed the main character, sort of a sad sack guy that can't seem to get ahead who of course comes out okay at the end (not a spoiler, it's that kind of story). I thought that parts of it were too "tell me" instead of "show me", where long explanations of the backstory were written out. Overall, it was enjoyable and I would probably read another with this main detective char ...more
Samantha
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I loved the beginning of the book but as it went on and on I found the stereotypes of women and police to be boring. The wife, the mistress, the coworker all so predictable and poorly done. The plot was good - but not good enough to cover up the character disaster.

The main character was written quite well though, which makes me think the author spent most of his time on him and no one else. If you can overlook stereotypes, this book is good. Gotta love a good Murder mystery.
Christine
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book kept me guessing through the entire plot. Well written , gripping mystery
Caleb
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully entertaining contemporary murder mystery/treasure hunt. Keyse-Walker's characters lean off the page with ease, and the pacing of his story set me on the edge of my seat until I fell right into the words. Definitely worth a peek for fans of modern detective tales, and I will be reading his future works.
Matthew Wilson
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this. As an aspiring mystery writer myself, I was interested in seeing what kind of story won the St. Martin’s Minotaur/ Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Competition. Of the seven published winners, this one sounded most interesting to me. It has a great setting that Keyse-Walker illuminates skillfully, and Teddy Creque makes for an intriguing protagonist. My hat is off to Keyse-Walker for a nice debut.

There are two things I'd like to comment on in more detail (no spo
Joanne
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This fun little thriller was a great read. Based on a fictional little backwater island in the British Virgin Islands, it's the story of an inexperienced auxiliary police man caught up in an unexpected wave of violence.
Teddy Creque has served the island for 20 years and never reported a single crime. Suddenly there is a vicious murder, followed by an equally vicious assault, all while Teddy is agonizing over a heated love affair with a local pilot while he feels guilty for cheating on his wife.
Helen Hoke
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I do not normally read mysteries but since this one won the Minotaur Mystery Writers First Crime Novel Award, I was intrigued. I was definitely not disappointed. The main character, Teddy Creque, is a likable guy who you tend to root for. The author gives a fabulous verbal description of the Island of Anegada. I was awarded by an ending that was totally different that I had visioned, which made me pleasantly surprised. This is a quick, enjoyable read which I highly recommend. I am looking forwar ...more
Michael Jordan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found myself immersed in this novel for two main reasons: the unique and well-developed character of Teddy Creque and the author's ability to skillfully evoke the rhythm of island life. This is a book meant to be read on a sandy beach, with a cool beverage in hand. That the novel won the Minotaur/Mystery Writer's Award is no surprise. Looking forward to the next novel in the series!
Jim Duff
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the second book first but it didn’t matter. Keyse-Walker paints such a wonderful picture you can smell the salt air and feel the sand under your feet.
The characters are rich and interesting and the plot is excellent. The ending? Suffice to say I didn’t see it coming.
Give this book a try, I think you will enjoy the ride
Bravo Mr Keyse- Walker
Mark
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
On August 12, our mystery discussion group reviewed "Sun, Sand, Murder" by John Keyse-Walker. Serving for years as a special constable in the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force, Teddy Creque has never had to deal with any serious crime on the small, remote island of Anegada, where he was born and raised. His attention is split between his other three jobs and his complicated family life. Then visiting biologist Paul Kelliher is found dead on a remote beach with a gunshot wound to the head. The BV ...more
Wendy J.
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
So many times have I read the first book in a detective series and then never been inspired to go on to the second one. Not so with Teddy Creque -- I am going to head directly to the library for the second in the series.

Teddy is a wonderful narrator and protagonist -- humble, dryly humorous, and such an underdog that you can't wait for him to solve the crime and get some respect! Life on Anegada seems so simple and uncomplicated that it's actually fascinating. I was running to the internet to se
Beth
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of a holiday gift of the Mystery BooklyBox. I have not finished a novel in several years (started many, but nothing but graphic novels could hold my attention through the minutiae of daily tasks). But this book changed that. I love this writer's style and it reminds me very much of Lawrence Sanders' McNally books (before he passed on and Lombardo ruined the series). Reading this book, I felt like I learned about a new place, I loved the quirks of the characters, and ...more
Megan Green
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really love "cozy" mysteries and don't often step too far outside of that subgenre when choosing mystery novels. I fell in love with Agatha Christie books in middle school and never looked back. But I'm glad I picked this one up because even though the title sounds a little silly, and even the premise seems like it might not be that great, this was an enjoyable read, the plot twists were great, and I didn't want to put it down until I found out what was really going on!
Renjay
Dec 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Pretty average. The story had potential when the murder victim turned out to not be who he had claimed to be but I found it quite boring (could be cos I'm not a fan of beaches and the story is set on islands). Teddy the main character/detective wasn't even on the case which is odd for a murder mystery story. The author spent a lot of time describing the surroundings. The killer wasn't who I thought it was so I guess there was a slight "twist" but overall I recommend to give this book a miss. It ...more
Andy Plonka
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: src
Quite well written with the main character more flawed than he thinks he is. Set in the British Virgin Islands with none of the glitz of the Caribbean.
Margaret
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery

Different kind of mystery. Interesting location. Somewhat off the wall. Good plot.
Belinda M
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting mystery. I had my suspicions which were validated though in a surprising way.
Leslie
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book
Karen
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read on island!
Reynolds Darke
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well done mystery set in the British Virgin Islands.
Robin
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A terrific story by a first time author. Though I typically do not read mysteries, the characters drew me in, as did the atmospheric setting,. A perfect "beach read", and for me a welcome change of pace. I look forward to John Keyse-Walker's next book!
Seema Rao
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
An obvious mystery about a stereotypical place that just felt blah.
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B01C2TAAI8
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
Rating: 4.75 Stars

I received a copy of "Sun, Sand, Murder" from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Publisher's Description:

As a Special Constable, Te
Cathy Cole
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is something about Teddy's homelife that made me wonder if I was going to like this book, but John Keyse-Walker swiftly drew me into his story by bringing the people and the tiny island of Anegada to life. The landscape, the weather, how the people live, the food they eat... everything combined to put me right on the beach with them. I love it when that happens.

Teddy is not always a likeable character, but he's always interesting. For twenty years, he's had it relatively easy. His wife mak
Bill Donhiser
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Special Constable Teddy Creque has an interesting adventure on a small island in the caribbean. This first novel from a new writer is a riveting murder mystery thet is enjoyable and fun to read. I look forward to more from John Keyse-Walker
Loved the book, but have a few quibbles 1 1 Jul 27, 2018 10:31AM

• Dark Reservations
  • The Cold Kiss
  • Speaking of Murder (Milan Jacovich, #19)
  • Hard Currency (Porfiry Rostnikov, #9)
  • Gone In Seconds (Kate Hanson, #1)
  • I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Meat
  • Mystery Cats: Felonious Felines from Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine
  • Three to Get Lei'd (A Tiki Goddess Mystery, #3)
  • Moscow Noir
  • Frames (Valentino, #1)
  • Stick a Fork In It (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #2)
  • Fogland Point
  • The Ragtime Kid
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Walking Into the Ocean (Peter Cammon Mysteries #1)
  • The Copper Peacock and Other Stories
  • Last Days in Shanghai

A Teddy Creque Mystery (2 books)
  • Beach, Breeze, Bloodshed (A Teddy Creque Mystery #2)