Start by marking “Pushing Up Daisies (Agatha Raisin #27)” as Want to Read:
Pushing Up Daisies (Agatha Raisin #27)

Pushing Up Daisies

(Agatha Raisin #27)

When Agatha Raisin left behind her PR business in London, she fulfilled her dream of settling in the cozy British Cotswolds where she began a successful private detective agency. Unfortunately, the village she lives in is about to get a little less cozy. Lord Bellington, a wealthy land developer, wants to turn the community garden into a housing estate. When Agatha and her ...more
Published September 20th 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Pushing Up Daisies, please sign up.
Annie As Heather, I am a fan of the series and recommend to read them in the correct order as it is easier to follow the plot. They could be read…moreAs Heather, I am a fan of the series and recommend to read them in the correct order as it is easier to follow the plot. They could be read individually as a "cozy mystery" but you would loose all the savour of following the everyday life in the village! 27 is coming out on the 20th of September! I already read the first chapter as a preview and it promisses to be a great one too! Good reading, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.(less)
Irena Small eyes, like a bear's eyes -- they occupy relatively small percentage of bear's face . There were places when they were referred to as "small,…moreSmall eyes, like a bear's eyes -- they occupy relatively small percentage of bear's face . There were places when they were referred to as "small, bear like eyes". My guess is that if you look at M. C. Beaton's photo, you'll see the eyes in question.(less)

Jaline
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xx2017-completed
Lying somewhere in the range between cozy mystery and crime suspense, the Agatha Raisin series is great, undemanding entertainment reading.

Twenty-seven books ago, Agatha Raisin left her PR job in London to take early retirement in a small village in the Cotswolds. She is irascible, very rarely graceful unless she puts on her heels (forcing a certain amount of necessary grace short of falling on her fanny), with an acerbic sense of humor, and the tendency to get mad crushes on any single male who
Bam
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
*3.5 to 4 stars.

I recently picked up The Witches' Tree, the 28th in the Agatha Raisin mystery series, from the new book shelf at the library and realized I had somehow missed reading number 27. Gasp! Thankfully my library had a copy of Pushing Up Daisies on the shelf. I wouldn't want to read them out of order, after all!

Agatha Raisin is such a hoot! At fifty-three, she is single, lives in the Cotswolds and runs her own detective agency. In this outing, Agatha is hired to figure out who killed Lo
Una Tiers
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to see all the characters (this is the 4 part). The set up and resolutions are without much meat to them. People are ALWAYS home and not too busy to talk to Agatha. Many of the things are not reasonable. I think she crowded the book with characters and murders without a benefit to the reader.

Did James have anything to do with naming the cats?
Susan Johnson

Agatha Raisin is really an unpleasant person but there's just something about her. She is abrupt, selfish, too outspoken, knows no boundaries and is not very nice. She is also smart, witty and, deep inside, wants to be loved. She's always on the hunt for a man in her life apparently not realizing her attitude is a major drawback. There's something about her as she has friends and loyal employees.

When the local Lord wants to sell the town's garden allotments to a real estate developer
Heather
RE-READ UPDATE 7/21/16

First Review (6/25/16):
This is the first book I've read from the Agatha Raisin series and I think that maybe it wasn't the best one to start on. The mystery was ok, the pacing was fine. There wasn't really anything I could fault, but there's nothing I can really praise either. This felt very much like a "meh" read for me. I honestly don't think I'll remember reading it in six months time. Heck, I finished it two days ago and I'm already forgetting it. The best thing about t
Bad Cookie
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was okay, but the story was choppy and someone should have done a better job of editing.
Ionia
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Aggie. How I love thee. I even named my pug after you. Not to say you have wrinkles.

Agatha Raisin may not be getting any younger, but she just keeps getting better. If you, like me, have been following this series for a long time, then you will know what I mean when I say I couldn't wait to get a fix. I've missed my Raisin.

This book has the usual charming cast of characters, plus some new ones that spice things up a bit. Wherever Agatha goes, there seems to be trouble, as Bill Wong has poi
Karen
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This was not the usual, feisty Agatha that I've come to know and love. She has become a little soft and tired, leaving much of the detecting to Toni and Simon. Surprisingly, she seems to be getting younger and has taken to petting and playing with her cats. I missed some of the old characters. Gone are the long chats with Mrs. Bloxby, whose appearance has changed a great deal, and the shenanigans of Roy Silver. James is mentioned briefly. Thankfully, Charles is still present.

The book rambled a l
Grey853
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, mystery
It took three tries to get through this book. Agatha Raisin is probably one of the most unpleasant characters ever created for a cozy. She's everything I hate in a person and the fact that she's a successful business woman makes it even worse. She's self-absorbed, judgmental, and lacks empathy. People are to be used and to serve Agatha.

In this book she's investigating a murder, but I just wasn't that interested. The writing of this series has gotten more and more slack. This is definitely a thu
Enid Silver
The story was choppy and honestly to me it felt like solving a murder was just an afterthought slotted in when it's realised that nothing murder-y had been mentioned in 20 pages!
The characters were just replaying stereotypes set out from previous books rather than furthering their development and I swear the conversations between Aggie and the regulars were rehashes of scenes from earlier books.
Nothing new.
Meg
Oh, come on! I want Agatha and Charles together...Snakes and bastards!
Jules
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was fun to catch up with some of the regular characters. I do enjoy this series. I've been reading it for many years. It's definitely a series I recommend if you enjoy cosy crime.
Celine Godfrey
As I had been looking forward to this book for some time, I started it immediately it arrived even though I was half way through another book. I'm afraid to say I'm pretty disappointed with this one. It seemed very rushed to me or that not as much thought had gone into this one as previous books in the series.

I thought the last one, Dishing the Dirt was the best yet and that things were improving but this one has taken me back a step or two. Fast start, fast murder. At some points it just seems
Selah Pike
I really don't know how M. C. Beaton does it. The mystery is all over the place before it fizzles out (Agatha even thinks this), and the editing is *horrific*. Yet, it's imminently readable, and curmudgeonly Agatha is oh-so lovable.
Cyndi
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun. Beaton brought in tons of characters. Since I listened to it on cd I could just imagine the author rubbing her hands together and thinking, "How many voices can I force Alison Larkin to come up with? he he he."
Dec 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: a, cosy-mystery
This series continues to go downhill. Bad writing, bad editing and a plot which is a shambles. "Large" seems to be the favourite adjective in the first chapter: it's repeated no end of times.
Of no interest whatsoever.
Julie
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think reading this series is becoming more habit than anything. None of the characters have a redeeming quality. I would hate to live in Carsely.
Rachel Hall
Now in her twenty-seventh outing since taking early retirement and selling up her PR business in London for life in the Cotswolds village of Carsley, the incorrigible Agatha Raisin is still poking her nose in where it isn't wanted and lusting after unsuitable men. Her lack of diplomacy might not have made her popular but as her loyal best friend, vicar's wife Mrs Bloxby knows, her heart is in the right place. With her private detective agency based at Mircester thriving and a team of four detect ...more
Marilyn
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Agatha Raisin book and it will be the last. I wanted to like it. After all, it is a British mystery by a very well-known author (the Queen of Crime!) and I do love me a good British whodunnit. The fact that the author has written well over a hundred books (!) should have alerted me to something wrong. There is a lack of care and thought in the writing when one is simply churning them out.
The writing was jerky and felt rushed, the characters were laughably shallow and the plot w
Ken
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first foray into an Agatha Raisin adventures, I’ve been meaning to try these for awhile.
So when I spotted one in my local library, I felt it was worth giving it a try...

This is the 27th outing of the series, I was able to get a real sense of the cosy murder mysteries of these stories.
I practically liked the main character Agatha, a 53 year old singleton living in the Cotswolds.

The relationship with all the other characters was just wonderful. It’s the main selling point of the series
Krista
Maybe it's just me --- I haven't read an Agatha Raisin book in awhile since I'm caught up in the series --- but this book just seemed very choppy to me, maybe a tad too frenetic. Agatha was jumping all over the place mentally and physically. She is still battling the same old personal demons regarding her self-worth and her inability to find true love. I was prepared for that, and I keep rooting for her that she'll figure out that aspect of her life.

But the mystery(s) had her running hither and
Lisa Morin
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I have been a huge fan of this series for a long time. Every time I open a book featuring my favorite sleuth, Agatha Raisin, I know I am in for a wild ride.
This book did not disappoint me. It was full of the charm I look for whenever I crack open a new addition to the series.
As usual, Agatha feels empty in her life, microwave dinners and cigarettes aren't filling the void.
When a wealthy land developer is killed, his son hires Agatha and her firm to investigate his death.
Could his death be rel
David
Oct 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
what the heck happened to these books? I picked this up to see if what people said about the later Agatha Raisin books was true (that they're simply not as good), and BOY were they right. Agatha has become slightly Mary-Sue-ish and so much stuff is just plain contrived, like her asking the murder victim who will inherit if he dies before he gets murdered (this DOES NOT come about in any natural way, she just says it completely out of nowhere). what a disappointment. I hope that this is only a mo ...more
Damaskcat
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lord Bellingham is threatening to put up the rents on some allotments he owns so when he is found murdered no one is too surprised as he has also raised rents for all his other tenants. Agatha Raisin has been to see him just before he's murdered to try and persuade him not to put up rents and she is asked by his son to try and find his murderer.

Agatha visits the allotments on a pleasant sunny day and even finds herself attracted to the idea of owning an allotment and growing her own vegetables.
Gerry
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you retire please don't move to Carsley in the Cotswolds: the murder rate is far too high and, additionally if you are a male, there is every chance that Agatha Raisin will set her cap at you- so watch out! On the first point, even Agatha's friend Charles Fraith says at one point, 'You mean all those people bumping each other off is normal?' And on the second I lost count of how many males Agatha suddenly fancied, regardless of age, in this one but, ...more
Caila
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted to receive an advance copy of this Goodreads giveaway book from Minotaur Books...and even more delighted that it was by one of my very favorite authors.

As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed the latest Agatha Raisin. She's got tons of middle-aged angst, several bad habits and blunders her way through life and this latest mystery. Of course there's romance and sex (and lack of it) and one can't help but hope she'll find true love eventually. But where would the fun be in that? Nope, gott
Diane
I received this through the Goodreads Giveaway program.

The characters were quirky and none were totally admirable.
The plot was sufficiently complicated.

Unfortunately I didn't care for the writing style at all. There were very few page breaks to indicate a change in narrators or locations. The dialogue was staid and the reflections by the main character were tiresome.

I doubt I'll read another book by this author.
Carol
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mysteries
I love me some Agatha Raisin, but seriously? Snakes and bastards - I could have edited this one better myself! Between the cast of faceless characters, the meandering plot, the abrupt change of scenes, and the almost laughable fiasco starting on page 263 where Patrick and Phil's names are interchanged at least twice, I started wondering if Beaton is ok.
Suzanne
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
In this latest book, controversy over garden plots leads causes drama in the village, and when the grouchy landlord is found murdered, nobody mourns. Agatha is as feisty as ever in this installment, but she doesn't make quite as many silly decisions. I like the surrounding characters as well. These are fun, relaxing reads.
Tina
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good but I liked Blood of an Englishman a bit more. Still, not a bad read. Better than a lot of the other cozies out there.
  • The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering, #5)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Pagan Spring (Max Tudor #3)
  • Chains of Folly (Magdalene la Batarde, #4)
  • Murder Most Howl (Paws and Claws Mystery, #3)
  • Foul Play at Four
  • Cold (Alex Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • I Know What You Bid Last Summer (Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #5)
  • Check-Out Time (Pennyfoot Hotel #5)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Pumpkin Picking with Murder (An Otter Lake Mystery, #2)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Fogged Inn (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #4)
  • Murder in Midwinter (Libby Sarjeant, #3)
  • Murder in Grosvenor Square (Captain Lacey, #9)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)