Start by marking “The Dead Boyfriend (Fear Street Relaunch, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Boyfriend (Fear Street Relaunch, #5)

The Dead Boyfriend

(Fear Street Relaunch #5)

Shes dying to go out with him

Caitlin has never had a real boyfriend before. When she starts seeing Blade, she throws herself into the relationship with fervor. She ignores her friends, who warn her that Blade may be a phony and that she is taking the whole thing too seriously. Caitlin is smitten. She doesnt care if she loses her friends. All she wants is Blade.

When Caitlin
Published September 27th 2016 by A Thomas Dunne Book for St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Boyfriend, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Dead Boyfriend (Fear Street Relaunch, #5)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
3.5 Stars

*I won this book in the GOODREADS FIRSTREADS giveaway*

***Mild Spoilers***

I love Fear Street, I read them like crazy growing up and I'm hoping I still have some old books in boxes around here. This one was good and made me think of my old crazy old school books where I yell at everyone in the book because they are being stupid.

I liked the end and I didn't like the end.

1. B/C that ending would be so cool if you take out your thoughts of "it can't work that way."

2. B/C there is no way
Amber
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
Caitlyn is a 17 year old High School girl who has fallen head over heels in love with a boy named Blade. It is only when she runs into Deena Fear who puts a curse on her that her life has now changed for the worse. Can Caitlyn escape the Nightmare that is Deena Fear? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good and scary read as well as my second book I have read from the new Fear Street series. Fans of the old Fear Street novels will enjoy this book that will send shivers down your
Patrice Hoffman
I want to be fair in rating this book. R.L. Stine was the go-to author of my childhood. I think the moment I was introduced to Fear Street and the Goosebumps series, I was hooked. As a preteen, these novels were intense. They invoked a fear like none of other for me. Stine's The Dead Boyfriend could possibly have done the same for me during those days. But, now that my reading has matured, I can't quite seem to recapture that feeling.

Caitlin finds the boy of her dreams up until he becomes the
Attack Salmon
Wow by far the best Fear Street Relaunch book I have read so far.

Of cuz me , a 21 years old almost adult who have read books 10 times more fucked up and gruesome would not easily be scared by Fear Street Novels that mainly targeted towards teens. bUT, not like I would lose sleep over it. This book actually took me by surprise a few times.

The story is crazily childish yet addicting and throw in the signature Fear Street cliffhanger ending. I am not dissapointed
Latasha
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
** i recieved an ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review**
lol wow!! back in the day, when I was a preteen & young teen, I was all over those fear street books. I saw a contest for this one and whoa! I won. so this is the first fear street book I've read in well over 15 years. if there was any typo's or mistakes in the book, I didn't notice them.
so, we have Caitlin and from what I can tell, she doesn't date much or watch any reality tv. she meets Blade and falls fast. real fast.
Kisses♡••
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Nothing surprised me. I have read too many RL Stine books to be surprised by now. It was a little too crazy though. I was expecting better and it was fake a lot of times. However I loved to go back to Fear Street and hear about the crazy stories that I previously read about. I can never get bored of the descriptions. 2.75*
Emma
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good! It was very creepy but you never saw what was coming next! I recommend this book to people who like creepy stories.
Anthea
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was ok

A full review is available on my blog!

This book was sent to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not going to lie to you, there were some parts of this book that completely freaked me out. I've only just discovered Stine's Fear Street series and although it's not exactly my cup of tea, they do keep pulling me in. They're good.
Lissa Rice
*3.5* Full Review and rating will be up at Boundless Book Reviews
Lexie
Jul 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT DID I JUST SUBJECT MYSELF TO.

OH GOD.

OK.

Let's do this.

Worst. Fear Street. Ever. There's over 150 books in the series and off shoots. So that's saying something.
Alex
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I am absolutely loving the Fear Street revival!! This story is kind of all over the place but I loved the ending!
Nancy
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Such a fun read!! Took me back to my preteen days when all I read was R.L. Stine. I have to say his writing is still so enjoyable to read! 👍 ...more
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free advance copy of The Dead Boyfriend from the publisher in a Goodreads giveaway. Like most of my generation, I grew up scaring myself silly with Fear Street novels. I was never an avid fan (Christopher Pike every day), but I read a handful here and there, and its among my greatest book regrets that I got rid of all my garage sale-salvaged copies. I believe my reasoning was lack of shelf space in moving from one house to another, but thats a terrible reason. Naturally, one is ...more
Elle's Book Blog
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
Release Date: September 27, 2016
Genre: YA Horror

:: 4 Pretty Little Stars ::

When I was younger my "go-to" books where R.L. Stine's Fear Street series. I am sure many readers will say the same thing. Anyway, when I saw this book up on netgalley I got super excited because it has been YEARS since I have read anything by Stine. So, did this book meet my expectations as a total fan girl? YOU BET! R.L. Stine still has the same writing style, the same types of stories, and evokes the same sense
zainab
**I was provided with an eArc via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Me after finishing this book:

When I saw this book on NetGalley, I immediately requested it. My childhood was filled with Fear Street and R.L Stine's books only. And then I watched a lot of R.L Stine Haunting Hour. My most favourite episode is that red dress one (creeeeepy!) and that bloody Mary (?) one.

It's really hard for me to write about this book without giving much away. But, I won't write the spoilers here.

So,
Peach
RL Stine can do no wrong. Its bookish logic, friends.

I havent read RL Stine in years (I was crazy about the Goosebumps series in middle school. That creepster trilogy was my equivalent of bookish Cracker Jacks), but I feel like hes a writer who people never tire of, like Meg Cabot or Sophie Kinsella. Anytime Im welcomed back into one of their books, I feel like a kid again.

Caitlyn lives a mostly average life in her town of Shadyside. But when she and her friends happen upon the local burger
Aneta Bak
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Caitlyn thought it was love at first sight. Blade was perfect, tall, handsome and very fun. There was nothing more Caitlyn could ask for, until he randomly cancels a date and Caitlyn finds his car with a random girl in it. Following the car, she sees the two enter a night club and when she confronts Blade, he tells her that she was nothing to him. Heartbroken, Caitlyn follows him home where a huge fight starts, and a blade comes out.

I absolutely LOVE this book. I was a huge fan of R.L. Stine
Andrew Farley
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: This is the first Fear Street book I have read, and I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Now that I have gotten that out of the way...

I am disappointed, and R.L. Stine should be too.

Garbage, completely garbage. Not only do I think the story was no good, but the writing was bad as well. I used to read the Goosebumps books when I was younger. Getting this book excited me because I hadn't read R.L. Stine's works in so long. Now I am beginning to question whether middle school
Donna
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is definitely a meh Fear Street book. The characters are just too much over the top, the plot itself is way too far-fetched, and it wasnt that enjoyable. Or even really all that creepy.

None of the characters in THE DEAD BOYFRIEND are all that well-developed. Theyre all pretty much parodies of people. There are the two best friends who hang out in the background and act concerned. Caitlin, the main character, who has really weird reactions to things that show shes a bit of a psychopath but
Escape into a Booksite
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
*3 Stars*

ARC kindly provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't too fond of the last R.L. Stine re-vamped Fear Street novel that I read a few months ago (no# 3 of the Fear Street Relaunch), but I have always loved R.L. Stone books and even watched the recent Goosebumps movie, so I just had to give this one a go anyway.

This was your typical Fear Street novel, with the weird person from the Fear family and a wild plot with strange things happening.

It was a lot better
Kelly Hager
The Fear Street books are a huge part of my childhood and I've mostly loved the new ones. They're not scary (at least, not to me) but they're really fun.

That said, I was not a huge fan of this one. The plot started out solid (Caitlin is dating a seemingly perfect guy...until he's not. He ends up dead--not a spoiler; it's literally the title!--but now he's back) but got increasingly silly. And the ending was a cheat.
Tiffy
I've been an R. L. Stine fan for many years so I was thrilled when I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. It's been years since I last read one. However, this book brought back a nostalgia of reading his books when I was younger. I dived right into this novel and let it suck me into the crazy plot. I devoured this book in 2 days. In Stine fashion this book delivers suspense, thrill, plot twists and an unexpected ending.
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I used to read Fear Street books back in the 90's and I really liked them and I don't think I read this one back then so when I saw this one was available to review I had to read it.

I read this in 2 nights and I did like it .

The Dead Boyfriend is well written. It kept my attention.
Amber
R.L. Stine had one heck of a fear street comeback! R.L. Stine will never cease to amaze me. I have been reading his books since I was 12, and I am happy to say I still love his books.

This book was very dark, and had plenty of unexpected moments. Never was I expecting a twist this crazy at the ending of the book. But I can tell you I finished the book with a smile of amazement.

This book had all the creepy aspects one could want in a fear street novel. I can't say much more without spoiling the
Nikki Barrett
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I grew up on R.L. Stine and was stoked when word came out about the Fear Street relaunch. Not sure if it's my tastes are different or if the books are just different, maybe a combination of both. I liked it, didn't love it. But that's okay. I'll still read more of Stine. It's pure nostalgia. I had so many Fear Street and Goosebumps books growing up. Out of most of my childhood books, those are the ones still on my shelves in my library/office. This one had some creepy moments, and while I should ...more
Key White
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: purchased
Bri
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-fiction, horror
This was a quick, enjoyable read. Despite a few inconsistencies, R.L. Stine still managed to creep me out, all these years later! The story was outrageous, and the ending wasn't predictable (at least not to me, and I try to stay a few steps ahead). Stine is a strong writer, and his works are haunting and told with precision regarding the placement of the twists and cliff-hangers. Excited to read more of this revamped series.
yalini
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Totally loved it!!! What an unexpected twist! It was so cool! Really enjoyed this and I just loved the thrill and excitement!
.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Like Woe × ¨*:
Late on this one but I loved the Fear Street series back in my early teens and even though not all of the Fear Street books are the best, I can't wait to go back to Shadyside.
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

The Dead Boyfriend has such a gorgeous cover and when I first heard about it, I thought it sounded amazing! Plus, its freaking Fear Street ! I had high hopes for this one, though I dont know why since the relaunch, overall, has been pretty meh.

I really loved the premise of this book--a boyfriend back from the dead to haunt his girlfriend because she killed him after she saw him with another girl? Oh my gods YES PLEASE! So yeah, the premise was great and the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Around the Year i...: The Dead Boyfriend, by R.L. Stine 5 24 Aug 01, 2016 08:43AM

• Welcome to the Dark House (Dark House, #1)
  • Return to the Dark House (Dark House, #2)
  • The Forgotten Girl
  • Annie's Rainbow
  • The Queen of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #0.9)
  • Dark Side of the Rainbow (Dorothy Must Die, #0.8)
  • Annie's Life In Lists
  • Yours and Mine
  • The Stubborn Father (The Amish Millionaire #2)
  • Middle School's a Drag, You Better Werk
  • Things Seen from Above
  • Beginners Welcome
  • The English Son (The Amish Millionaire #1)
  • The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus: A Novel About Marriage, Motherhood, and Mayhem
  • Charles
  • Fool for Love (Sweet Dreams, #222)
  • Hell Hound

R. L. Stine

Fear Street Relaunch (6 books)
  • Party Games (Fear Street Relaunch, #1)
  • Don't Stay Up Late (Fear Street Relaunch, #2)
  • The Lost Girl (Fear Street Relaunch, #3)
  • Can You Keep a Secret? (Fear Street Relaunch, #4)
  • Give Me a K-I-L-L (Fear Street Relaunch, #6)