Start by marking “Christmas in Paris” as Want to Read:
Christmas in Paris

Christmas in Paris

Hughes will fill your heart with the sights, sounds, and flavors of new love, glamorous fashion, and decadent holiday cuisine.

Isabel Lawson is standing on the balcony of her suite at the Hotel Crillon as she gazes at the twinkling lights of the Champs Elysee and wonders if she’s made a terrible mistake. She was supposed to be visiting the Christmas tree in the Place de la
Published October 4th 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Christmas in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas in Paris

Start your review of Christmas in Paris
Brandi
Dec 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is what I get for picking a book based on a pretty cover. (And a pretty concept.) I was looking for something sweet and Christmasy to put me in the Christmas mood. But this story was ridiculous. The characters were bizarre and very thinly drawn, and nothing they did actually made sense. I will say the ending was better than I expected based on the rest of the book. But that's not saying much at all. Shame on Barnes and Noble for putting this on the recommended Christmas reads shelf.
The Lit Bitch

This book reminded me of a Hallmark or Lifetime channel chick-flick. It had all the cliches (bordering on sappy) and that whole whirl wind romance feel to it. Normally I am not a fan of cliche romances as I prefer a more brooding story thick with angst for the main characters but this book sounded so charming…and honestly who can resist Paris at Christmas time? So I decided to give it a go.

It’s hard not to love a book that’s all glitz and glamour from the very beginning…..swanky Paris
Alina
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Christmas in Paris is a delightful and jolly Christmas theme novel!

What do you do when you break your engagement days before Christmas? An ambitious Philadelphia finance woman, Isabel Lawson decides to come to the city of light and love. And during her first night at the hotel, she meets her suite neighbor Alec, children’s illustrator, whose gorgeous fiance left him a week before their wedding.

Days go by and hopeless romantic Isabel and heartbroken Alec build a friendship. They explore Paris, a
Chris
Nov 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
The characters in this holiday story are the most shallow people you will ever meet. But it's Paris at Christmastime, right? Though the author also takes great care to name-drop as many expensive sights, restaurants, designers, gourmet food, and Parisian tourist sites and neighborhoods as possible, the beautiful city somehow still feels remote and cold. The plot is both nonsensical and predictable. Formulaic romance is fine but the reader has to care about the characters and these two people are ...more
Kerry
Nov 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
This is quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. No characterization, no motivation, no sense of reality--just horrible.
Pam Jenoff
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can think of no better way to get into the holiday spirit than to curl up with this fun and cozy story of a woman from Philadelphia who has called off her wedding and is spending what-would-have-been-her-honeymoon alone in Paris trying to figure out what comes next. Humorous, romantic and bittersweet.
Kelly Gombert
Nov 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
As a novel, this book fails spectacularly.

The heroine, three days before what must be an extremely expensive Christmas wedding, has decided to call it off because he has suddenly decided to eschew his corporate life and become a farmer. OK, I can understand that she would break off the engagement. However, there are no tears, no calling of girlfriends, no dramatic showdown. Nope, all is good. She's still happy-go-lucky, no cares in the world. And so she jumps on a plane to spend Christmas, alon
Lesa
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
If I had ever read any of Anita Hughes' novels before reading Christmas in Paris, I might have known what to expect. I was enticed by the idea of Christmas in Paris, and star-crossed lovers, thinking it would be a lovely story. Oh, it has a happy ending. Don't get me wrong. But, there's a little too much luxury and brand name-dropping for my taste. I'm sure others will feel as if they were pampered when they read the book, though.

Isabel Lawson's dream honeymoon to Paris at Christmas was not supp
Andrea
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you need a beautiful Christmas fairy tale- this is it. Gus is the best character Hughes has ever created. You just love him when you read this book!

And, Christmas in Paris- need I say more?

I felt swept away by this book and the characters. It would be a perfect Christmas time movie!

I received a review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Toni
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
"You're what?" said Isabelle's mother. "I'm calling off the wedding," Isabelle said calmly. "It's one week away!" shrieked Isabelle's mom, not calmly. Isabelle was aware of all the nasty details of calling off a wedding like hers, one week before the actual date. Her parents lived along the Philadelphia "Main Line" so it was no small affair. However, she just couldn't just give up the career she loved, and worked hard to attain, and go off with Neil, her bridegroom-to-be, and run his grandparent ...more
Bev
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Piepie
Thank you, Netgalley, for this arc!

I had never read Anita Hughes before. I loved her beautiful descriptions of everything -- what the characters wore, what they looked like, what they did in Paris, and of course, what they ate! Mmm yum!!

I thought Isabel, a financial analyst, had her head in the clouds far too much and didn't have any common sense. Alec, a children's book illustrator, however, I loved - I liked his snark and sarcasm!

I found this book easy to put down but once I picked up reading
Beth
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I tried. I could not finish this book - only made it 30% through and gave up. The characters were shallow and the story lines were all over the place. Two stars for the beautiful description of Paris at Christmas.
Christine (KizzieReads)
This was supposed to be a lighthearted Christmas read, but instead it was an unrealistic book about rich people who have way too much money. Their biggest decisions was what restaurant to eat in that night or to stay in their $1000 a night hotel suite and order room service. The characters had no personalities. They were just the same person over and over.

Isabel was fickle, a female character who did not know what she wanted. She had no sad or upset feelings over the ending of her engagement to
Bethany Clark
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was ready to get in the holiday spirit and Christmas in Paris did just that. I loved the attention to detail when describing Paris and the sites and the smells. I really felt like I was there and it will now be added to my bucket list! I have all the respect in the world for Isabel not letting her trip (or honeymoon ) go to waste. After she broke off her and Neil's wedding she really needed a little time to regroup. What better place to regroup then the city of love. Her suite was TO DIE FOR a ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
When Isabelle calls off her wedding 3 days before the big event, nobody seems very upset. She realizes that they have grown apart, do not have much in common and she doesn't love him the way a wife should love her husband. Resigned to spend Christmas with her parents, she is surprised when her ex-fiance calls and tells her to use the honeymoon reservations and go to Paris. They will just go to waste otherwise. She agrees with this logic and off she goes. Now this is a romance novel, a Christmas ...more
Frances Kantner
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
I feel like I need to write this review, in case any of my contacts on Goodreads see that I read this to completion and decide to give it a try. Please, don’t. I was looking for a light and easy holiday story, and wow, was this book ever heavy on the lightness. The character development is confusing, the plot is nonsensical with leaps and bounds of logic. I stuck around for the French fashion and food, but the rest was very hard to read when my eyes were rolling so frequently. Sorry to be so neg ...more
Amber
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how thoroughly Hughes can transport me to places like Paris and make me feel like I’m right there in the heart of it all. CIP gave me all the feels, and was a perfect weekend getaway.
Kelly Schnorrbusch
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is probably great if you dream of high priced hotel suites, fancy meals, and you already have a working knowledge of Paris. Since none of the above are applicable to me, this book just felt insipid. and everything is "lovely". maybe I've watched to much All I Want for Christmas because Ethan Embrey is my homeboy, but you never say lovely. It's the mark of the jerk. What can I say? I was duped by the cover.

Isabel is a financial analyst from a wealthy Pennsylvania family. Days before he
Jonathan Arrowood
Dec 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
More garbage from Anita Harper. I cannot stress how bad this book is. Ridiculous characters, patented Anita Harper name dropping and a trite, uppity nonsense plot that made me eye-roll and cringe regularly. SPOILER ALERT- there are white dinner jackets, so if you didn’t get enough In Christmas in London, there are plenty more where that came from! And don’t get me started on Gus the dog. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2016, romance
"Christmas in Paris" is the story of Isabel and Alec. Both of them are recovering from broken relationships. Both of them are recovering from broken relationships and broken hearts. Both of them end up in the same hotel in the center of Paris in the middle of winter. This book explores finding love after loss and being open for whenever the opportunity arises.

This is a fun romance. Isabel was an okay character. I really liked Alec. He's a children's book writer and illustrator. He has created a
Lekeisha The Booknerd
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*3.5 stars *
April
Nov 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Omg. I read Christmas in London by Hughes last year and thought I’d grab this one and “try again,” as perhaps my somewhat harsh review last year (of London) wasn’t fully warranted.

Lolnope. It was. If I could rate this one as zero stars I so would.

I can’t even with Hughes’ writing style. I got annoyed at the opening sentence and began mentally editing as I went:

“Isabel took a deep breath and thought Paris at Christmas was like one of the elaborate dollhouses she’d played with as a child.”

Okay so
Desiree reilly
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First i for got but i think the author gave me the book for review,
Now i cancel the weeding my mom about to shit her self you see Neil ask me to marry him we were in Manhattan. the wedding was all up and ready the invite were out and now i m cancelled
the dam thing.
Well i took the Honeymoon why not it was payed for, I am in Paris and in joying the sites of Paris and it was great.Well i was out on a patio and the door shut and i did not how to open the door so the only thing i was going to do ? We
Judy D Collins
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. 3.5 stars

Anita Hughes' CHRISTMAS IN PARIS is a magical story of two people meeting by chance in one of the romantic places.

Unexpected wintry magic from two broken relationships for a bit of indulgence. A Christmas holiday, luxury style, romance, and lots of surprises.

Isabel had always dreamed of a winter wedding with great bouquets of white and red, from Vera Wang to a Bentley waiting, with
Anna (bibliophiles_bookstagram)
Loved the setting. However, other than a lit Christmas tree on the Place de la Concorde out Isabel’s window, I kept forgetting it was Christmas. I actually had to stop and re-read a line saying that it was almost New Years...wait, what?! For Christmas to be part of the title, that detail was sorely missed. The title should have been “Recently and Tragically single in Paris.” Readers would have had a better idea what they were getting into.

Isabel drove me nuts, and I just couldn’t connect to her
Kelly
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
2.5 *s. I was looking for a light Hallmark kind of Christmas read. This one was definitely light, but the characters were just so shallow and over-privileged. Their behavior was so unrealistic for any adult. It just didn't give me that feel-good vibe that I was looking for.
Jessica
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Don’t waste your time. This book is great if you love cliché damsel in distress stories that go on for 150 pages too long. I’m not one to ever skim books but that’s what I did for the last half of this book. Glad I bought it as a bargain book!
Alicia Zaayer
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Started reading per a blogger’s recommendation but it was much more Hallmark movie cookie-cutter cheesy. The Paris scene was lovely. I was hoping for a real change in direction but it ended pretty predictable. Meh.
Hanna K
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
It’s like a Hallmark movie. Not horrible but ok.

• Let It Snow
  • Dear Santa
  • 25 Days 'Til Christmas
  • A Nantucket Christmas
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Christmas Bliss (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #4)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Christmas at the Island Hotel (Mure, #4)
  • The Christmas Shoppe
  • What Happens in Paradise (Paradise, #2)
Anita Hughes was born in Sydney, Australia. She attended UC Berkeley's Masters in Creative Writing program. She is the author of MONARCH BEACH, MARKET STREET, LAKE COMO, FRENCH COAST, ROME IN LOVE, ISLAND IN THE SEA, SANTORINI SUNSETS, CHRISTMAS IN PARIS, WHITE SAND, BLUE SEA, EMERALD COAST, CHRISTMAS IN LONDON and CALIFORNIA SUMMER, and CHRISTMAS IN VERMONT published by St. Martin's Press. ROME I ...more

News & Interviews

“If you don't have love, you don't have anything at all.” 1 likes
“This is Shakespeare and Company, it's the most famous bookstore in the world." She pointed to the shelves that reached the ceiling. "Surely you have something on the feudal system or the court of the Sun King?"
"All our books are in English, and there is not a great demand for works on the French aristocracy."
"That's the problem with Americans, they're only interested in themselves," she sighed. "I learned about the Civil War every year from the fifth grade, but I never studied the Wars of the Roses.”
0 likes