Start by marking “Stranded” as Want to Read:
Stranded

Stranded

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  627 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews

Badly battered by an apocalyptic storm, the crew of the Arctic Promise find themselves in increasingly dire circumstances as they sail blindly into unfamiliar waters and an ominously thickening fog. Without functioning navigation or comm
Published October 4th 2016 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Stranded, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Patti
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chris Berko
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not impressed. Pacing issues, disjointed in many areas, and absolutely no reasonable explanation for anything that happens. A real letdown for me as I had been looking forward to this one.
Frank Errington
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review copy

We often hear the words "eagerly awaited," but generally it just doesn't apply to me. However, I can honestly use these words to describe Bracken Macleod's new novel, Stranded. I first heard about this book at NECON (a retreat for writers and fans, held in Rhode Island, each July). When I saw the cover and heard the synopsis, I knew I'd have to add this to my TBR list.

"The Arctic Promise was headed in a bearing for the northeast Chukchi Sea, carrying supplies for the OrbitOil drilling
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/12/15/...

If Dan Simmons’ The Terror and The Fold by Peter Clines had a lovechild, I’d like to think the results would look a lot like Stranded. At first this book reads like a suspense-thriller with heavy shades of paranormal horror, but then we get a twist around the halfway point that arguably plunges it into sci-fi territory. And that’s when things starts to get really wild and interesting.

The story follows the crew of the Arcti
Nicholas Kaufmann
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I blurbed this! Here is my blurb in full:

"STRANDED is the work of a master storyteller at the top of his game. You'll smell the ocean air, hear the waves as they slap against the hull, and experience the white-knuckle terror of trying to survive in the face of the unknown. If Bracken MacLeod can't scare you, you're already dead!"
Glenn Rolfe
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stranded by Bracken MacLeod is a frozen tale that is, at times, part survival (ala Ronald Malfi’s The Ascent or William Golding’s classic, Lord of the Flies), while also adding in equal parts the cinematic mystery and paranoia of the Twilight Zone, The Mist, and John Carpenter’s The Thing. All of which I love.

We start off with MacLeod’s protagonist, Noah, getting his butt handed to him by just about everybody on board the frigid supply ship, Arctic Promise. We are very quickly introduced to my f
John McIlveen
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
STRANDED is the story of Noah Cabot, a seemingly hapless deckhand aboard the Arctic Promise who must contend with an unprecedented amount of bullying and distrust from his peers, and from Brewster, the ship’s captain. Brewster has ties to Noah, and a grudge so deep it could transcend realms.
A series of misfortunes unfold, starting with a devastating storm that claims one of the crew and leaves the Arctic Promise icebound, lost, and with no means of communication. Soon follows a mysterious ailmen
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Artic Promise - 2.5 stars...

I have a huge thing for books with cold weather settings like the Artic or Antarctica so I've been really excited about reading this book. Unfortunately though it wasn't as enjoyable as I was hoping for. The first half was very slow and lacking in suspense, and it took me all week to trudge through it. The second half had a lot more action but I didn't care for the (view spoiler) plot turn the story took. The ending also wasn't very
The Grim Reader (Beavisthebookhead.com)
I have been a fan of Bracken MacLeod since his novella ‘White Night’. I loved his novel ‘Mountain Home’, and have been waiting patiently to see how ‘Stranded’ came out, especially since I read the blurb from Jonathan Maberry.

‘Stranded’ is a supernatural horror novel and it’s one of the best novels I have read in 2016. One of the great things about this book is its pacing. From the opening scenes where we are thrust into an arctic storm to the sudden sicknesses of the crew members, MacLeod’s deli
Lisa
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, review-copy
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2017/0...

3.5/5 Stars

No book has ever made me more afraid of the cold and ice and than Stranded. Seriously, the setting for this book brings a new and frightening definition to the word freezing. It also presents an interesting reading experience via a twist that comes about halfway through the book. The first half is a gripping thriller. One that will make you feel the frigid harsh world of the arctic.

Weather and circumstances batter t
Ruiner
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
First it was the blurb that got me interested:

"In the spirit of John Carpenter's The Thing and Jacob's Ladder comes a terrifying, icebound thriller where nothing is quite what it seems."

Well... that's promising.

Then I read about the setting of the book which is a stranded ship in the middle of nowhere. Nowhere in the most literal sense of the word surrounded by ice and endless horizons that all look the same. That's my bag already and the perfect setting for what is to come.

Author, Bracken Mac
Michael Hicks
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stranded is the type of book that made me glad to be reading it indoors, in the known security and confines of my home, where I was nice and warm and comfortable, and had a nip of whiskey or Irish Mist to help keep the chills Bracken MacLeod was generating at bay.

Caught in an arctic storm, the ship Arctic Promise is thrown off-course from its destination and lost in the fog. Soon enough, the ship finds itself embedded in ice. In the distance, the flat horizon is broken only by the hump of an odd
The Behrg
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of horror stories set against the backdrop of a frozen winter land. Add to the setting a story that delves into the psychological, with a simmering suspense that slowly dials up, and you'd think I would have loved this one.

Not sure if it was the characters feeling a little wooden, only playing a single note, or if the style of writing was what kept me from really sinking in, but I constantly felt on the outskirts of the story rather than being drawn into the middle of it.

Lately,
Chris
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mixing elements of the supernatural and perhaps mild scifi, Bracken Macleod presents a tense, gripping thriller about a maritime supply ship stranded in ice while bringing much needed goods to an oil drilling platform. The men are worried because their communications equipment has failed and no one knows where they are. As the deadly elements and sudden isolation begin to wear them down, a mysterious illness beset them, and the bizarre hallucinations of shadowy figures lurk about. And soon the s ...more
Andi
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Mindi
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This is just my type of novel. I love survival stories. Characters who are lost in the woods, washed up on a deserted island, or beset on a ship in the Arctic, equally draw me in immediately. I have always loved stories about people struggling to survive in the elements.

It's so fascinating to me that we can live so comfortably in our modern houses with all the convinces and necessities we can buy, but if we make one wrong move on this planet and end up too far from civilization and all of the t
Matthew
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enthralling thriller with plenty of weird and supernatural tones. Full review to come.
Chuck
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
3-stars

MEH, pretty middle of the road horror book. I had hoped for a lot better.
Reece Smith
Oct 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Andi
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stranded is the second book I've read by Bracken MacLeod, although the first one hasn't been published yet, it was enough to make me realize that I didn't just want to read Stranded, I needed to. I will also need to read anything that he writes/publishes in the future. Stranded was definitely worth all of the hype and I happily have a signed copy on my bookshelf from when I met Bracken for the second time in person.

I'm sure by now everyone has told you the plot. I wouldn't be rehashing it, even
Nino
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kao što se zna, prodaja ove knjige u svijetu je gotovo nepostojeća, jer svi čekaju čuti upravo moj review... Hah!

Da sam ja Bracken MacLeod, ili, za prijatelje Kenny, komotno bih prvih 150 stranica sažeo u nekoliko stranica kao uvod i dalje nastavio normalno s pričom onog trenutka kad se ekipa, na ledu nasukanog brodića, u bezizlaznoj situaciji odluči na put do misterioznog objekta u daljini nadajući se skloništu od hladnoće.

Prvih 150 stranice mi baš nije nešto napeto, okej, upoznajemo se glavnim
Catherine Grant
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this in 2 days. Official review to follow, but the speed in which I devoured this should be telling.
Jonathan Maas
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I required a book like this after the brilliant The North Water. That tale was like a punch in the midsection, but after I recovered, I felt I could take this book on.

Another punch in the midsection, though more on the Twilight Zone side than The North Water, so that actually softened it.

This one might take me another few months to recover from - great tale, but exhausting.

Grade A tale from Mr. Mcleod, riveting from the start, and it keeps you with it until the last page.

Great antagonist in Cap
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

Stranded first caught my eye because of its gorgeous, haunting cover. Then I read the synopsis and I was totally hooked! I don't read much adult fiction, but when I do it's usually horror or survival stories. This one was an incredible mix of both that kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish!

This story is about Noah, a Merchant Mariner who is literally having the worst luck. He's a deckhand stuck with a captain who just happens to be the fat
Cheryl
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Abandoning this one at 25%. Poor character development and no feeling of suspense or forboding. Skipped through it to see if I'd like it further on, but it didn't seem to get any better. It's not for me.
Scott
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stranded is a hard one to review. I used to review albums, and every once in a while there would be one that was technically flawless, expertly performed, and skillfully written, but still left me unmoved. Stranded gave me that same feeling.

Bracken MacLeod is an incredible writer, especially considering this is his debut novel. He masterfully sets the scene for the book, and is able to talk the reader through some of the more technical details of the ship without falling in to jargon or losing t
John Goodrich
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. The prose is very clean, the situations are carefully set up, and then resolved in unexpected ways. The adventure is solid, the situation very strange, and the threat is constant without being exhausting or unrealistic.

The book also has a deep care for the characters it portrays, and everyone has an understandable motivation. Even the less sympathetic people are understandable in their choices, reprehensible as those choices may be. Very enjoyable.
Paul Anderson
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bracken likes to outline. Just kinda tuck that away for the moment. I’ll come back to it. (As an opening line, it doesn’t have shit on “Marley was dead, to begin with”, but it’ll do.)

In this claustrophobic novel, a group of men become stranded on their supply ship, midway to the oil-drilling platform they’re supposed to refill, after a mysterious storm brings on an even mysterious fog and, when the mist clears, leaves the northern-bound ship beset in an ice that appears to be the size of two-yea
Vegantrav
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
First, you think you're reading one type of novel. You're reading a story of adventure and survival set aboard a ship stranded in the sea ice of the arctic. Then, the author injects a completely unexpected element. You're still reading the same tale of adventure, but now something more is going on--something creepy and mysterious and baffling.

Now, you're eating this story up. All of these elements plus a cast of solidly developed characters--a couple that you really like and a few that you despi
Ralph Carlson
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fast moving, page turner of a book. Once started it is hard to put down. Of the 94 books I have read so far this year, this one just may be the best.
Erin
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
When I read the description for Stranded, I had a flashback to the hours I spent watching “The Deadliest Catch” and I hope this would be all the drama of that show in a novel. While there was zero crabbing involved, it did scratch a Deadliest Catch itch. MacLeod wrote the setting of the ship, the sea, and the ice with a voice that transported me there, even though I’ve never experienced any of those things in reality. There was enough description for me to feel immersed in the setting yet I didn ...more
Horror Aficionados : Book Discussion - Stranded by Bracken MacLeod (spoilers ahead) 1 12 May 18, 2017 08:55AM
the ending 2 20 Dec 09, 2016 08:57AM
Bracken MacLeod has worked as a martial arts teacher, a university philosophy instructor, for a children's non-profit, and as a trial attorney. His short fiction has appeared in several magazines and anthologies including LampLight, ThugLit, and Splatterpunk and has been collected in 13 VIEWS OF THE SUICIDE WOODS by ChiZine Publications.

He is the author of MOUNTAIN HOME, a novella titled WHITE KN
More about Bracken MacLeod...