Start by marking “Strong Cold Dead (Caitlin Strong, #8)” as Want to Read:
Strong Cold Dead (Caitlin Strong, #8)

Strong Cold Dead (Caitlin Strong #8)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Texas Ranger Caitlin Strong returns in Jon Land's Strong Cold Dead, a thriller with heart-stopping action and a high-stakes terrorist plot

Published October 4th 2016 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Strong Cold Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strong Cold Dead

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
Strong Cold Dead is the first book Caitlin Strong book I have read, but I'm pretty sure it will not be my last. I'm actually quite sure about that since the first thing I did after finishing this book was ordering the first book. Lucky me that have seven unread Caitlin Strong books to read.

So, what was it that got me so enthralled that I just had to buy myself the first book? When it comes to books so are some so good that I feel right from the start that this is a 5-star book. And, this one fel
Sherry Fundin
Jon Land writes a great story and Strong Cold Dead is the latest in his Caitlin Strong series. These novels will stand alone, but if you are just starting the series, I would always recommend beginning at the beginning. Don’t want to miss anything, do you?

Politics and resentment create a hostile situation for Caitlin when she arrives on the scene of a riot, but that doesn’t stop her from taking action. And…that is only the beginning.

Jon Land’s Caitlin Strong novels are always on my reading list.
Dave Edlund
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Caitlin Strong is one bad-ass Ranger! Reminds me of the Blaine McCracken novels Mr. Land published a couple decades ago. Good pace, plenty of action (I like that), characters that are well-developed. Who could ask for more?
The Real Book Spy
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
See this review and more at www.TheRealBookSpy.com

Set in the heart of the Lone Star State, Caitlin Strong is a lone-wolf Texas Ranger who fears nothing and trusts her gut above everything else. Unfortunately for Caitlin, though, her way of doing business has worn thin on her superior officer, Captain Tepper, and others.

More than ever before, Caitlin is receiving pushback for actions and tactics. At one point she’s even assigned to a desk in an effort to keep her out of trouble until things coo
Russell
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Strong Cold Dead by Jon Land
reviewed by Russell Ilg
“Nobody goes beyond this point, ma’am,” is the first thing Caitlin Strong is told in Jon Land’s superb and sensational Strong Cold Dead. And I probably don’t have to tell you what she does next in the eighth book featuring the stalwart fifth generation Texas Ranger.

A gunfighter and loner hero in the frontier sense bred of the classic Western, Caitlin is no stranger to breaking the rules or gunning down bad guys. Strong Cold Dead features a weig
Anita Lock
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One woman the Texas law enforcement does not want to contend with is Caitlin Strong. A lone ranger who comes from a distinctive generation of Texas Rangers, Caitlin is a "genuine force of nature," marching to the beat of her own drum regardless of legalities. Caitlin receives an anonymous tip about her friend's son, who is protesting against oil drilling at a Comanche reservation. Caitlin is aware that the protest is a mere symptom of greater problems in connection with the reservation. Wary of ...more
Joan
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this is the eighth book in the Caitlin Strong series, I've not read the earlier ones yet thoroughly enjoyed this novel.

Caitlin is a Texas Ranger, the fifth in her family line. She is something else. She has unique insights into a situation and follows her intuition. She'll often run into trouble with her superiors but always manages to see her way through.

Caitlin receives word that the son of her friend is part of a protest at a Comanche reservation. She soon suspects there is much more t
Sandra Pitaniello
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jon Land is a new author for me. I decided to read this book after I read a review of it in our local newspaper. This book turned out to be a GREAT read. Since I finished this book I found out it is the eighth book in the Caitlin Strong series. The ninth book will be out sometime in (2017). I am looking forward to reading all of them.

I found this story riveting. It is fast paced, with several threads. There are murders, creepy, scary things happening on the reservation, all the people in a rest
Kathleen Kelly
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Strong Cold Dead Caitlin Strong is one of those women that I love to read stories about, strong, smart and vulnerable. Caitlin is a Texas Ranger, as was her father, grandfather and great grandfather before her. In Strong Cold Dead, Caitlin must help in figuring out who the bad guys are and stopping them before the world as we know it is destroyed.

Land on the Comanche reservation is undergoing drilling, not oil as you would expect but something else. We learn about Caitlin's great, great, great
Carol Crigger
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The terrorist organization ISIS is after a deadly toxin that could be the ultimate weapon of mass destruction. The same toxin holds the potential to eradicate cancer. There is a frantic race to see who can get to it first, even as Caitlin Strong begins to assemble the disparate pieces of a deadly puzzle.
At the center of that puzzle is an Indian reservation whe
Sharon
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read - The author combines old world with modern world dilemmas. A strong story line with excellent imagery. A must read for those who love mystery and drama. Generations of story all pulled into one book. Wild west, Native tribes fight for their land, police action, and legends all in one neatly wrapped package here. The book kept me on the edge of my seat calling me to turn the pages. One of the best books I have read in awhile.

Well-done!
Deborah Hughes
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wild ride

Not disappointed in continuing series Caitlin Strong. It kept me on the edge of my seat trying to second guess what was going to happen next. I also love the bits of history in between chapters.
Charlie Newfell
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is hard to start with #8 book in a series, but this is the book that I purchased when I met the author at an event. But it did seem pretty easy to pick up the characters. There is a lot going on in this story! Multiple storylines over different time periods, but it all came together in an enjoyable read.
Amy
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popfiction, western
Another good addition to this series.
Eileen
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
It wasn’t a favorite. Generally I enjoy Jon Lands Caitlin Strong books but this one left me unimpressed
Tori
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
STRONG COLD DEAD was my introduction to Jon Land's tough as nails Texas Ranger. The fact that she's a woman just makes me love her all the more. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Michelle Lancaster
MYSTERY/SUSPENSE
Jon Land
Strong Cold Dead: A Caitlin Strong Novel
Forge Books
Hardcover, 978-0-7653-3513-5 (also available as an e-book), 352 pgs., $26.99
October 4, 2016

“Nature takes care of its own, Ranger, and we are its own.” —White Eagle, Comanche shaman

Texas Ranger Caitlin Strong is on desk duty after a dustup involving Mexican cartel apprentices in San Antonio, when trouble between a drilling company and Native American protesters sends her into the Texas Hill Country to investigate a mutilat
Vivian
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5-star read

History seems to be repeating itself with the Strong family front and center as representatives of the Texas Rangers. In the nineteenth century, Caitlin's great-great-grandfather, Steeldust Jack Strong, fought a legendary oil man to protect the autonomy of a Comanche reservation. Now Caitlin is fighting against a slimy oil man and an international terrorist group in order to protect her family and the same Comanche reservation in Strong Cold Dead by Jon Land.

Caitlin Strong is a Texa
Rebecca Lowrance
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Has anybody checked the science on this? Seems pretty bullshitty to me.

Plot holes galore.
Cheryl
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read

This is the first novel that I have read by author Jon Land and I sadly realized that I have been missing out on some exciting books!

This is the 8th in the Caitlin Strong series but easily read as a stand alone.

It is said that history repeats itself. In this novel, present day is compared to the Wild West, ISIS parallels Cowboys and Native Americans.

Caitlin Strong, 5th generation Texas Ranger, is the gutsy, intuitive, fearless, brazen, instinctive determined, and smart protagonist. My new heroin
Ray Palen
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read my 5-Star review this Friday on Bookreporter.com.
Kathryn Lane
May 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: finished
For such a lauded author, this book was a total disappointment. It had a protagonist who was totally unbelievable and it went downhill from there.
Sally
Feb 27, 2017
John Rumery
Jan 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jon Land is an American author of thriller novels and a screenwriter. He graduated from Brown University in 1979 Phi Beta Kappa and Magna cum Laude. He often bases his novels and scripts on extensive travel and research as well as a twenty-five year career in martial arts. He is an associate member of the US Special Forces and is an emeritus board member the International Thriller Writers. John cu ...more
More about Jon Land

Caitlin Strong (9 books)
  • Strong Enough to Die (Caitlin Strong, #1)
  • Strong Justice (Caitlin Strong, #2)
  • Strong at the Break (Caitlin Strong, #3)
  • Strong Vengeance (Caitlin Strong, #4)
  • Strong Rain Falling (Caitlin Strong, #5)
  • Strong Darkness (Caitlin Strong, #6)
  • Strong Light of Day (Caitlin Strong, #7)
  • Strong to the Bone (Caitlin Strong, #9)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Six Wakes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)