Start by marking “Wrath of Betty (Willful Child #2)” as Want to Read:
Wrath of Betty (Willful Child #2)

Wrath of Betty

(Willful Child #2)

From New York Times bestselling author Steven Erikson comes a new SF novel of devil-may-care, near calamitous, and downright chaotic adventures through the infinite vastness of interstellar space...

The continuing adventures of the starship A.S.F. Willful Child. Its ongoing mission: to seek out strange new worlds on which to plant the Terran flag, to subjugate and if
Published November 1st 2016 by Tor Books (first published October 18th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Wrath of Betty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrath of Betty

Start your review of Wrath of Betty (Willful Child #2)
Bradley
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whereas the first Willful Child was a harrowingly wicked and smart loving/parody of Star Trek with an episodic feel barrelling down to the eventual discovery of Tammy's origins, the Wrath of Betty feels more like a movie tie-in.

Which is only fair, considering the title.

Fascinating references include time travel to Comicon in 2015 to find the missing Krill, dark universe hijinx with women commanding all the battleships, (including a female doppelganger for our favorite insane MC), and plenty of
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/11/04/...

UPDATED: Sci-Fi Month Giveaway (US/Canada) for 2 copies of Wrath of Betty running 11/4/16-11/13/16 https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/11/04/...

Calling all Starfleet personnel: if youve ever found yourself hankering for a homage or parody of your favorite sci-fi franchise, you might just want to take a closer look at this humorous space opera by Steven Erikson of Malazan fame. While its true I dont usually go for spoofy books
Ivan
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Rather disappointing. I liked first book but this one didn't work for me. Humor misses more that it hits for me but the bigger problem was constant criticism of modern society.Does Erikson have a point on all those criticism? Yes but every spoof turns into one critique or a another with the same point over and over again. Every episodic adventure blended together in my mind and hour after finishing a book I have trouble remembering individual adventures.

Every good joke and pun got lost in ton
Bob
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Willful Child: Wrath of Betty by Steven Erikson is what I would call in-your-face narrative humor. This is less a book of ideas, and more one of puns, jokes, double entendres, and other clever wordplay. While there is a loosely structured plot behind it all, the story is completely secondary to the humor.

This is a book that's almost exhausting to read. Erikson packs a joke or a pun into almost every single sentence. Names are entirely ridiculous, dialogue is over-the-top cheesy, and the action
Drew K
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book takes place in space. The book is about captain Hadrian Sawback of the AFS Willful Child. Overall there isn't much of a main plot, the book is basically a bunch of short stories taped together. There is a theme of them trying to save humanity, but it usually gets pushed to the back. This book is basically one big joke, and is a knockoff of Star Trek, specifically the episodes where they destroy a planet's government and leave its inhabitants to fend for themselves.
Overall I thought
Clay Kallam
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Steven Erikson, the author of the grim and gritty Malazan Book the Fallen series, has gone in a completely different direction with his two Willful Child books. Both Willful Child (the first), and Willful Child: Wrath of Betty (Tor, $25.99, 352 pages) are both a homage and a sendup of Star Trek, and though Wrath of Betty isnt quite as consistently hilarious as volume one, its still got more than a few laugh-out-loud moments.

Captain Hadrian Sawback and the crew of the Willful Child are out to
Patrick St-Denis
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was extremely curious about Willful Child when it was announced that Steven Erikson would be publishing a Star Trek spoof. God knows I've never been a Star Trek fan myself, but I was looking forward to reading Erikson's homage/parody. Considering how fun and humorous the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas have always been, such a spoof promised to be hilarious. And Willful Child was just that!

So when I received a galley of the sequel, you can be sure that it went to the top of the pile!
Jeff
Mar 16, 2019 added it
The Willful Child series of stories by Steven Erikson is the funniest shit I have ever read.

The funniest shit.

It seems like low-brow slapstick comedy at first glance, and it is! But, it's also very intelligent humor as far as I'm concerned. Erikson makes fun of pretty much everything, and a page doesn't go by when I'm not laughing, many times out loud. This book is just a blast to read, and I look forward to re-reads from time to time.

Sure, it's NOTHING like the Malazan Book of the Fallen
Robert Freeman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I regret that I have but five stars to give. Willful Child: Wrath of Betty is an incredible sequel to the very good Willful Child. I enjoyed every second of this.

The book follows the same pattern as the previous in the series, splitting the stories into multiple TV-like episodes with an overarching arc that provides the fireworks for the final act. Within this framework, the seemingly incompetent but perpetually successful Captain Hadrian Sawback drags his crew of misfits through harrowing
Vinay Badri
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
Exhilarating, exciting and exhausting, book 2 packs even more on Captain Hadrain Sawback's plate including a jealous captain (Captain Hans Olo), time travel and multiverses all of which are handled with panache, elan and a good deal of flying by the seat of the pants.

While book 1 was a simple beast, book 2 tries to outdo it at every turn, packing in a lot more concepts and ideas making it a less easy read. There are times when you just had to take a break and times where you had to go back to
Fantasy Literature
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars from Bill, read the full review at FANTASY LITERATURE

Disclaimer: just so you know, some of the books we review are received free from publishers

If youre going to parody a TV series, as Steven Erikson did with Star Trek in Willful Child, then you cant stop at just one book, can you? Think of all those other episodes ripe for the plucking! And so were back for more interstellar hijinks with the crew of the Starship Willful Child and their erstwhile leader Captain James T, er, Captain
Metaphorosis
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, 2017-rev
reviews.metaphorosis.com
1 star

Remember when you read that one book, and it had some really funny lines? Or maybe it was even a book that was funny overall? (Say, Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide, or Pratchett's Nation.) Imagine someone took just the funny lines and made a book out of those, and made it a parody of Star Trek to boot. Wouldn't that be funny?

In a word, no. While some of Erikson's lines and situations are funny, the book as a whole is unreadable. Even individual chapters are unreadable. I
Michael
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Hardcore Trek fans who like long-form comedy
Recommended to Michael by: Continuing the series
This book was an improvement on the previous entry in the series.

I found myself quite engaged during the Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home sequence, where we saw 2015 Earth through the eyes of the crew. The satire here was easier to pick out because it wasn't filtered through the lens of an already fictional world. I especially liked the dig at people who didn't "get" Verhoeven's Starship Troopers.

I felt the satire of Trump/Americans early on in the book was a bit on the nose, as was the Walmart
Bogdan Capitanoiu
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wochen ......

What is this book?
Watch an ep. from the latest 2017 Star Trek series and one from the latest of Seth McFarlen: Orvile. This sits just in between

Is it any good?
I rated it 5stars sure its superbly inventive, original, familiar but then still challenging and surprisingly as consistently unpredictable.

What makes it so special? Worth the rate&words
Feels like a short novella written by the best of them (that you are yet to discover). Its funny in the 50to50 ratio vs the
Matthew
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
They're back! I'm so glad this got a sequel. I honestly don't understand why people don't love this book and its prequel.

Wrath of Betty is a better book than the first, I suspect because Erikson has figured out what he wants to do with the series. Now what he wants to do is make an uproarious satire of both space shows like Star Trek and just a satire of the mid-2010s.

This second book more than the previous one is set up in an episode format (TV series pretty please?) where for a chapter or two
Karl Schaeffer
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This book looked like it would tick all the boxes: sci fi, homage to Star Trek, witticisms... This book is an homage and a lampoon of Star Trek. The author spares no effort in skewering any and all aspects of the beloved show. With love, mind you, with love. He goes for the easy ones as well as the hard ones. For example, Doc doesn't have a tricorder, he had a pentacorder... It would appear that the author has some strong opinions, because he also takes every opportunity to lampoon various ...more
Pavlo Tverdokhlib
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, humour
The adventures of the AFS "Willful Child" and its captain Hadrian Sawback continue. The evil Klang aliens are trying to surrender to him in order to undermine the Affiliation's economy via sabotage; his rival captain Hans Olois plotting with the Affiliation's higher-ups to arrange for his disgraceful demise; and a bunch of temporal agents are watching him throughout time and space, causing varius screwups in the timeline.

Throughout all this, Se continues to tell his satirical story, in a manner
E W
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved much of Erikson's Malazan series (see Midnight Tides and Deadhouse Gates in my all time favs list) so I was intrigued to see this sci-fi spoof on the display of new books at the library. Alas, I forgot that things that are funny in Erikson-land (see Bauchelain and Korbal Broach) do not amuse me. This book has no discernable plot by page 71 when I finally threw in the towel and the characters, what little sense exists of them, are awful. I can see the parts that are meant to amuse and ...more
Nick
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second in the Willful Child series is right on the same level as the first, lots of Star Trek references and piss takes, the odd jab at Star Wars (to which I'll never forgive you Erikson!!) and general geek culture as well as a few political and general cultural references.

The language is reasonably strong but its all very tongue in cheek and in most places completely mad. Don't expect flowing deep stories but do expect lots of action, madcap antics and completely pointless bits thrown in
Jez
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I'm just a moderate Star Trek fan, and found the first book quite entertaining, but this one had me laughing out loud on a regular basis. The great characters and brutal evisceration of all things capitalist didn't hurt, I guess ;)
One of my favourite author's side project let's him go wild skewering climate change deniers, consumerism, MRAs and the Right generally. With quick-fire jokes bombarding you into submission. What's not to love?
James Troxell
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Elysa
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Once again, Erikson delivers a hilarious parody of Star Trek. The crew gets into some ludicrous scrapes, and I laughed throughout the whole book. I read a physical copy instead of listening with the second book, and I will say I'm glad I'm returning to the audiobooks with the third book. The book is still enjoyable in print form, but MacLeod Andrews does such a phenomenal reading. He makes the story even funnier and gives each character a distinct personality.
Steve
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining book in the series, though things seem a bit more sedate in this book. The obvious Star Trek movie references are fun as are the Comicon references. It seemed to get a bit preachy in parts, which seemed odd for a book like this, but it didn't hurt the overall enjoyment of the book. I eagerly await the third installment.
Terri
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
These books are a hoot! I recommend the audiobook with narrator MacLeod Andrews. He brings each character's personality quirks to life and will make you laugh out loud - often! Enjoy! I wish I could give this 4.5 or 4.75 stars.
Tony MacDonald
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humorous departure from the epic fantasy we're used to from Steven Erikson - some very memorable characters and moments in both books of the series (so far), too. I thought it a nice light read and rather enjoyed Erikson's sense of humour.
Kieran McAndrew
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captain Hadrian Sawback leads his crew back in time to try and rescue krill from the past to save Terra from a strange alien shrimp.

This clever 'Star Trek' parody brings in elements from 'Star Wars', 'Babylon 5' and other SF stalwarts. Well worth reading.
Terje Bless
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, humor
Fun, fast-paced and easy read: but the over the top farcicality gets a bit tedious. It's Erikson putting Pratchett and Adams in a blender and turning it up to 11. Nobody should not read this book, but I can't think who I'd actively recommend it to.
Kevin Huff
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was hilarious. Very satirical, and openly critical of modern day society, in a funny in your face sort of way. Can't wait for the 3rd book.
Matt
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A self aware James Kirk in an absurdist version of the Federation is good, but only in small doses for now.

• Dancer's Lament (Path to Ascendancy, #1)
  • Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy, #3)
  • Deadhouse Landing (Path to Ascendancy, #2)
  • The Wandering Inn: Volume 1
  • The Silver Spike (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3.5)
  • Of Darkness and Dawn (Elder Empire: Shadow, #2)
  • Of Shadow and Sea (Elder Empire: Shadow, #1)
  • Crystal Line (Crystal Singer #3)
  • Killashandra (Crystal Singer #2)
  • Crystal Singer (Crystal Singer, #1)
  • Nerilka's Story & The Coelura
  • Dinosaur Planet (Dinosaur Planet, #1)
  • Shadowmage (The Spellmonger, #9)
  • The Red-Stained Wings (Lotus Kingdoms, #2)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • The Stone in the Skull (Lotus Kingdoms, #1)
  • Secrets and Spellcraft (Art of the Adept, #2)
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Willful Child (3 books)
  • Willful Child (Willful Child, #1)
  • Willful Child: The Search for Spark