Start by marking “The Wishing World” as Want to Read:
The Wishing World

The Wishing World

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
In the Wishing World, dreams are real. You can transform into your own hero, find wild and whimsical friends, and wield power as great as your imagination. But Lorelei doesn't know about any of that. All she knows is that a monster took her family.

It happened during a camping trip one year ago. Hiding inside the tent, she saw shadows, tentacles and a strange creature. By t
Published October 25th 2016 by Starscape

Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

I received this E-ARC via the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was excited to read this book. But when I started reading it I couldn't help thinking how convenient it was that the main character didn't get kidnapped along with rest of her family.

Still recommend.
Hannah
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

At first this book seemed a little bit weak, and I was confused at how the Wishing World worked. However, as the book continued I began to really enjoy it, and the ending was wonderful and very sweet.

UPDATE:

This was a quick read for me. The writing style and easy plot allowed me to speed through the story, though this isn’t a bad thing.
At first I felt that I was actually reading too quickly, and that I wasn’t truly understanding
Anna | mybookishdream
My full review!

This book was an enjoyable read, but nothing too special.

I enjoyed the world building and the writing style. But I found the characters and plot lacking. I found the beginning confusing as well.
Robin
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One rainy night during a camping trip with her family, Lorelei is left behind while a giant tentacled creature abducts her parents and her younger brother Theron. A year later, she remains unable to accept her family's disappearance. Rebelling against the kindly uncle and aunt who have taken her in, she sneaks back into her parents' former house the night before its new owners are supposed to move in. There she finds a portal to a bizarre world where the wishes of certain imaginative children ca ...more
Harker
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The premise of this novel attracted me because the wish fulfillment aspect has always been appealing. Even with the vast amount of power that you would think comes along with that gift, it's never as simple as it appears to be. When Lorelei has to use her newfound abilities to save her kidnapped family from the Ink King, a mysterious creature that has the same powers she does, it sounds like I a
Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

The Wishing World is an exciting children's novel full of magic and adventure. The story is rife with fantastical beasts and monsters of all kinds, and the setting is a place where dreams and wishes can come true. Some of these are more like nightmares - like when Lorelei's (our main character) family disappears into thin air. Lorelei is a great lead for the book - she's smart, strong, a loving daughter and sister, and determined to find out what happened that night - no matter what. I
Vellum Voyages
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it

3 helms

Please follow me on my blog :) Review originally posted on Vellum Voyages

I REALLY REALLY wanted to like this book & almost feel guilty that I didn’t. I just couldn’t get into it, as the story felt confusing with lots going on. It definitely has all the right elements for a children’s book: magic, creativity, good vs. evil, an important quest etc. but it fell short for me. I felt like there were plot holes, some events didn’t make sense or weren’t explained enough & the book felt f
AK Mama Reads
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a fast paced journey through a land of fantastical creatures that I would have absolutely loved to call home as a child.  Though written with a middle grade audience in mind, I felt completely engrossed and grew attached to the characters as an adult. Grace is a wonderfully human protagonist, facing the unknown with a mixture of fear and bravery, not letting defeat enter her realm of possibilities lest she be overtaken with grief once again.  Far too often we discount the young as ...more
Andreia Nuno
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally published on NetGalley.

Loved it! Simple plot, the writing is perfect and the pace of the story is just as good.

I really connected with the main character, Lorelei, a young girl with a very strong determination with the single objective of saving her family back after they are kidnapped on a camping trip. Her frustration and her growth really is the phase that all teenagers go through and it's amazing how much she grows and learns on her journey.

If you think that you h
A
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
**I received a copy of this story from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review**

This was an interesting story.
Enter Lorelei who has lost her parents and her brother in one day, or rather one night.
She's the only one who hasn't stopped believing that they are still somewhere and that they can be found.
Her determination leads her straight into and through another world where she has to decide if she'll choose what she wants or if she'll destroy the world she's found.

Starting off, Lorelei is an
Brooke Dilling
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of this book. And Wow. It's really fantastic.

A fantasy story about a girl searching for her family. It talks of being true to yourself and growing up. Part "A Wrinkle in Time", part "Peter Pan". As a kid, I loved books like "The Dark is Rising" series...and this book ranks right up there.This is a story kids will love to read again and again... I think it hits book stores this October. Add it to your book lists now.
Heidi
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy fiction is unique in that it opens the door to other worlds and other possibilities. The ideas expressed in such stories are only limited by one's imagination. And children have an ability to use their imaginations in such creative ways. The basis for this book revolves around that idea. The Wishing World that Lorelei enters seeking her missing family revolves around the dreams of children. When Lorelei realizes that her parents are imprisoned by the Ink King within the boundaries of thi ...more
Darby Karchut
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Wishing World by Todd Fahnestock is such a rollercoaster of a ride! Imagine A WRINKLE IN TIME meets INDIANA JONES. Lorelei, the main character, really steals the show. I love her blend of courage and fear and her fierce love for her parents and brother. In fact, it’s refreshing to read a middle grade book where love of family is one of the central themes.

It’s also intriguing the way the author incorporated the concept that a person’s thoughts could shape their reality. What child (or adult,
Alicia (Tranquil Pages)
DNF

This was a book club read at my college, the adviser wanted us to read it. Not a lot of people liked it. It felt rushed and I had to go back a few times to figure out what happened and when it happened because of how rushed it was. The flow of the book was kind of choppy, the plot is great but there was too many plot holes that needed to be filled out. I hope his second book is better but I don't think I'll be reading that anytime soon.
Srosch
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the author, but the opinion is all my own.

I enjoyed this book very much, the imagination, the lore master and the creative characters kept me engaged from the beginning! I found myself trying to figure out what character I'd be in the world, stay tuned if I figure it out.
Chuck
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
DNF- I won this book From goodreads. It was not the book I thought it would be. Had trouble keeping my interest as the writing did not flow enough for me. This was an uncorrected advance reading copy so not sure if the story would change any on final print.
Tracie D'angelo
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Received as an ARC from NetGalley.

Lorelei lost her family. In one instant, they were gone. Her Auntie Carrie and Uncle Jone took her in to live with their family. Lorelei missed her family very much though and had to find out what happened to them. For a year Lorelei had been searching for her family and for answers and now her Aunt and Uncle were selling her house. The answers may be in there so she snuck back into her old abode. Right before her family disappeared, they were camping in the mou
Melissa Layton
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Let me ask a question. Who here wouldn't want to be able to make your wishes come true? Have all of your most imaginative creations come to life? To be able to wish something into being? I can tell you one thing, I most definitely would love that! In the Wishing World, our plucky young heroine can do just that, and she puts it to work in an attempt to rescue her family from a mysterious evil.

Lorelei is a strong, smart, and very imaginative 11 year old. She is determined to do everything she can
books are love
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received in exchange for a honest review.

This was a wild and fun ride. The imagination of Todd Fahnestock is incredible, amazing and perfect for this story or any story that you just want to get lost in and escape in the pages for fun entertainment with no angst. I look forward to getting this for my niece and having her be entertained and taken to a new exciting world. A world where you just want to escape and enjoy. See a girl who loves her family and does what is needed to get them back from
Narelle Richards
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in return for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book through every page and I can quite easily imagine a middle school student being captured by this tale.

Lorelei is not having a very nice life just at present. Her parents and brother disappeared a year ago taken by a mysterious monster while on a camping trip leaving her behind. Now her aunt and uncle, her new guardians, have sold her family home. She feels that she has on
Matthew
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Review copy provided by NetGalley

I was honestly a bit overwhelmed at times by this fantasy adventure, as I'm fairly certain I was supposed to be. This is the sort of story that plunges you headfirst into the adventure, and expects you to fight your way back to the surface at your own accord. This has a vibe similar to The Neverending Story, where an entire world hinges on the creative impulses of a few inhabitants, though they don't realize their own importance until the plot reaches a climactic
Jtimko
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lorelei awakens during the night to witness her mother, father, and brother kidnapped by a strange monster. In her search for them, she accidentally breaks into the Wishing World where she encounters talking griffons, a water princess, and cities made of sand. She discovers that she is a Doolivanti (a wish-maker) in which she can write her dreams into reality. She must face the monster in order to release her family from his clutches or risk being taken into his clutches too.
This story is base
Liana
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Wishing World is a great read for kids who like fantasy adventure, especially novels like Storybound, Inkheart, or The Wishing Spell series. It has a unique mix of serious themes and whimsical world building. Best of all it has a strong female lead in a genre that often falls short in gender representation.
Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland
Love the sister-brother bond. (As a big sister, I appreciate books where sister and brother take care of each other) Love the wacky cast of characters. Love how the MC matures. (What she does at the end is one of the hardest things we can ever learn to do as humans.)

This is a books to keep on the shelf for the family to share with younger readers. In particular, it would make for a good bedtime read (it DOES happen in the wishing world after all).

Full review to come.

Kris @Imaginary Reads
Mauzi
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I've read anything from the 8-12 age range, and I'd forgotten how lovely the books and world building can be. The Wishing World was a great story - Lorelei was the perfect protagonist for this book, and seeing Veloran through her eyes was fantastic. The plot was great, and that it didn't stick too close to the hero/villain archetypes was really well done, the other characters and creatures were so well described. I loved the ending, especially with how she ended up leavin ...more
Katarina
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed reading this book and think children and teens will love it.
It's filled with magical creatures, adventure, action and a great story.
Lorelei is awesome. She faces all situations as she discovers her powers and along the way meets many new friends, who help her.
This book is a great flight of fantasy, so original and fresh. It's a joy to read for readers of all ages, but I think kids will love it very much.
Anthonia
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lorelei is the main character in this tale. She does not know the facts about the wishing world, but she soon learns about it. She more focused on getting her family back from a monster that took them when they were on camping trip. The wishing world is a magical land full of mermaids, griffins, cities and other wonderful magical people. A must read.
Wensday
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I read this book straight through! The plot of the book is simple but original. This is a great fantasy book that relates to everyone that has ever dreamed..

Rose
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review to come...
Soup
rated it did not like it
Aug 10, 2016
TODD FAHNESTOCK won the New York Public Library's Books for the Teen Age Award for one of his short stories, and is the author of the YA bestseller Fairmist as well as The Wishing World. Stories are his passion, but Todd's greatest accomplishment is his quirky, fun-loving family. The Wishing World began as a series of bedtime stories for his children.
More about Todd Fahnestock

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)