Start by marking “The Twelve Dogs of Christmas (Andy Carpenter, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Dogs of Christmas (Andy Carpenter, #15)

The Twelve Dogs of Christmas

(Andy Carpenter #15)

Defense lawyer Andy Carpenter usually tries to avoid taking on new cases at all costs. But this time, he’s happy—eager, even—to take the case that’s just come his way. Andy’s long-time friend Martha “Pups” Boyer takes in stray puppies that the local dog rescue center can’t handle, raises them until they’re old enough to adopt, and then finds good homes for them. Not everyo ...more
Published October 18th 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Dogs of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Dogs of Christmas

Brenda
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Early on in this, I thought it was a typical Andy Carpenter book. Nothing wrong with that because I like these books. Now that I've finished it, though, I think it's one of the better ones in the series. I was so taken with this book that I read it in just a few hours. It's not a long book, even at 328 pages, because it's small-ish in size.

Martha Boyers, better known as Pups, has taken in puppies and their moms for decades which eases the burden on local shelters. She is a character in more ways
Jaline - (on partial hiatus)
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: xx2018-completed
The guest stars in this novel are twelve adorable puppies and Andy and Willie bring them in to Tara’s Foundation, their canine rescue facility. The woman in her late 60’s who had housed them previously has been charged with the murder of her neighbour who filed a complaint with the zoning board about too many pets in her home.

Her real name is Martha but everyone calls her Pups as she has been rescuing dogs for decades. Her husband was killed in a “wrong time, wrong place” murder a couple of year
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: The Twelve Dogs of Christmas is a Christmas mystery written by David Rosenfelt. It was published on 10/18/16 by Minotaur Books, an imprint of St. Martin’s Press, paperback, 336 pages. The genres are mystery, fiction, Christmas, and Dogs. This book is part of An Andy Carpenter Mystery and it’s the number 15th book.

My Experience: I started reading The Twelve Dogs of Christmas on 1/9/18 and finished it on 1/15/18. This book is absolutely an awesome read! I love how charming and witty Andy i
Carrie
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Andy Carpenter who is a defense lawyer with a new case that he thinks is going to be an easy win during the holiday season. His new client, Martha “Pups” Boyer, has spent years rescuing puppies, raising them until they can be adopted and can be put into good homes. Now however she has been reported to be against the zoning laws for keeping so many animals in her home.

What Andy didn't expect taking on this case though was for the body of the man who made the complaint to turn up. Pups had loudly
Liz
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Witty.
Thrilling.
Heartwarming.
Fun.

You can depend on these books for all of the above. Plus, dogs.
Don
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If, like me, you have been following the Andy Carpenter series, you'll know exactly what to expect from this little gem of a book, an intriguing mystery with snappy dialogue and all the characters you've come to know and love.

Pups Boyer (whose real name is Martha) earned her nickname by taking in stray dogs, often up to 25 at a time. As the book begins, someone has filed a complaint against her for violating a town ordinance which says that people cannot keep more than three animals in their ho
Judy Collins
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

David Rosenfelt returns with his favorite series, following (2016) Outfoxed (Andy Carpenter #14), with THE TWELVE DOGS OF CHRISTMAS (Andy Carpenter #15).

One heck of a legal thriller with plenty of mystery, suspense, wit, skill, detective work and a little Christmas cheer!

Andy Carpenter does not like to spend the pre-holiday period on a case- in fact, he tries to work as little as possible.
Betty
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, e-books
I needed a light and relaxing read when this book appeared on my self. What could be better than dog story, the cover was charming. While I found a weak point, I cherish the book. Pups is well known as she takes in pregnant dogs until the litter born and raised the puppies until they are ready to find homes. Andy decided to take a case defending Pups from a zoning charges. He succeed only to confront with a murder charge against Pups. As Andy searched for answers he found a deadly reason for sei ...more
Ellen
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Twelve Dogs of Christmas by David Rosenfelt. An Andy Carpenter mystery.

Martha "Pups" Boyer has been fostering puppies for years just until they're old enough to be adopted. Her home is filled with the sound of tiny paws and soft barking that is until she's charged with murder. It seems that she has been reported with harboring more dogs than the legal limit allows. The neighbor who reported Pups is found murdered.
Andy takes on Pups case with relish, but did he realize he may be taking on mo
Freda Malone
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've finally caught up to the latest in the Andy Carpenter series, which was my goal for the New Year. The Twelve Dogs of Christmas was a crime mystery involving an old lady, Martha 'Pups' Boyer. Several decades of tradition taking care of new born puppies before separating them from their mother and adopting them out, gets not just a letter of complaint by a neighbor, but the complainant ends up dead after the hearing, the gun being the same gun that killed her husband 18 months previously. The ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Twelve Dogs of Christmas is the fifteenth book in the Andy Carpenter series by David Rosenfelt. I do not know how I missed this author as I enjoyed the story immensely and will definitely have to go back and read more in this series. I found this novel to be a lighter John Grisham story. My only problem with reading this book without the others is that the characters were not fleshed out and I did not really get to know them. I am sure this was done in previous books so I will have to rectif ...more
Heather
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Ok, ya'll. I'm not a fan of gifs in reviews, but damn it, some times you just need one.
So, this pretty much sums up this book for me:

Ugh. This book, guys.... For me, this was definitely the most emotional of the Andy Carpenter series. Now, partially it was because, after a month of reading the entire series, this is it. I'm caught up. Now I have to wait Lord only knows how long till the next one (is it too soon to do a re-read of the series? I'm only half joking). But also the story itself very
Dad
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
David Rosenfelt wrote in this book a line that Laurie was reading a book by David Rosenfelt and touted him as a great author. Well, as a follower, I simply cannot disagree. He writes with wit, sarcasm, and a true talent for combining the practice of criminal law with great storytelling. This is the 15th book in the series and had the right focus on character development and plot developments that left me turning all 300 plus pages until it was finished. Two thumbs up for bringing a freshness to ...more
Quillracer
Rosenfelt has taken another step away from the ‘Andy Carpenter saves the world’ storylines that dominated several earlier books in the series – a step toward more realistic storylines in my opinion. Here, Andy’s defense of a woman accused of violating zoning laws quickly morphs into defending her on a triple murder charge.

However, he still hasn’t brought dogs back to the prominent roll they played in the first books in the series. He also hasn’t quite recaptured Andy’s wry view of the world. It’
Jim
I thought this series had faded a bit with the last couple of books, but this one was very good. Very typical of the series & a fun story. There were enough twists to keep it interesting & all the normal characters showed. If you like the template, this is one of the better ones.
Lynn Cahoon
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lawyer protagonist with a dog centered plot. Really enjoyed the character development.
Passenger B.
This Holiday Crime novel started out quite turbulently and with a lot of humor as it pertains to the first chapters.
And then...there was a very abrupt and drastic change of pace that by page 85 had convinced me to stop reading.
I understand the necessity of background information, character introduction and having to set the scene but for me personally this was just a bit too long-winded to enjoy.
I will always fondly remember the hilarious and brilliantly witty court scene though!
LJ
First Sentence: “You looking for work”

As much as defense lawyer Andy Carpenter tries to avoid taking on new cases, anything involved with dogs is a case he can’t turn down. Martha “Pups” Boyer has been reported by her neighbor, Randy Hennessey, to the city for violating the pet-limit zoning law. Andy thinks defending Martha will be simple until Randy turns up dead and Martha is the prime suspect. Even then, Andy has no idea just how dangerous this case may be.

This is a definite example of the do
Melodie
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I DO love Andy Carpenter and crew, so was delighted to find a second offering in this delightful series for 2016! Don't let the title or cover fool you. It's VERY light on Christmas and is your typical Andy legal thriller. In this one Andy's defending the local puppy rescuer against a murder charge. She's a feisty older lady who doesn't take shit from anybody. You can never go wrong with a book from this series! Recommend!
Carol
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I continue to love these books even though I know there will be a good ending. I realized today that it doesn't matter that they follow a pattern; it's just so much fun to see how we're going to get to the (somewhat predictable) end.
Ed
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
#15 in the Andy Carpenter series. Lawyer Andy is quite wealthy and reluctant to bestir himself with legal issues. He'd rather spend his time with his two dogs and working with friend Willie at the animal rescue shelter they founded. His friend "Pups" Boyer specializes is rescuing puppies and raising them in her home until they are old enough to be adopted. She gets accused of murder and Andy jumps to her defense. The puzzle in this book is the motive for accusing her while she is dying of cancer ...more
Carolyn
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anyone expecting a cute Christmas story involving adorable, cuddly puppies will be surprised. Of course, the puppies are cute and cuddly, but this is a fast paced legal thriller and mystery involving a couple of murders, a complex land conspiracy, gang members,and a dying sharp tongued dog rescue lady who may have unjustly accused of murder. Anyone interested in legal trials and maneuvering should enjoy the complex plot, which is told with wit and humour.

I learned that there are many
Westminster Library
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What starts out as a small, simple case quickly turns into a complicated and intriguing book. This Andy Carpenter mystery introduced an interesting group of characters. Definitely an intriguing series that I will be reading more books from, I really enjoyed reading the latest novel in this series.

Find The Twelve Dogs of Christmas at the Westminster Public Library.
Susan
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Blatant attempt to sell a book at Christmas using holiday title and cover shot of four puppies perched in stockings.

Still, engaging mystery and some funny asides.

"I've got to tell you, I don't trust kale. Where's it been all these years? How come all of a sudden it appears and is everywhere? Anybody know a kale farmer? Why am I the only one who is worried about a weird plant that all of a sudden shows up? Has no one seen 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'? Or 'Little Shop of Horrors'?"

Mostly, I li
Viccy
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Martha Boyer, better known as Pups for her years of rescuing puppies, is charged with violating the pet limits in Paterson NJ. After being acquitted, Pups is then charged with murder, for allegedly killing Randy Hennessy, the person who complained about her dogs. Then, things become even more complicated when forensics show the gun used to kill Hennessy, was also used to kill Pups' husband, Jack , two years earlier. Andy Carpenter has to follow the clue to uncover who benefits from Pups' death.
Kalen
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really don't think mystery novels are for me. As soon as pups was charged with murder I kept asking myself, honestly how could anyone think she killed three people. It doesn't make any sense. I also don't like the formula of these types of mystery novels and if you read these novels you know what I am talking about.
terpkristin
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit of a return to form for Rosenfelt, not quite as much crazy as international terror plots and what not. This book was also less about the dogs, oddly enough, except as a plot device to have Andy know his client. Regardless, it was light and breezy and perfect for a summer read. I didn't even mind the self-referential comment he slipped in there about Laurie (Andy's wife) reading a book by "that great author" David Rosenfelt.
Bryan
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable Andy Carpenter story. You know what you are going to get going into it. There will be murder, dogs, and sarcasm. Luckily Andy has managed to keep the good things going. I thought this was going to be Christmas story, because of the title. Luckily, it is just a normal Andy Carpenter murder mystery story. If you liked the first 14 you should enjoy this one.
Fredrick Danysh
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
When Martha "Pups" Boyer is sued for having too many dogs attorney Andy Carpenter soon takes her case. She is then charged for the murder of the neighbor responsible. The murder weapon is found in her house and linked to the murder of her husband and a gang member two years earlier. Carpenter spends Christmas trying to prove her innocent. A heart warming use of dogs in the storyline.
Melanie Stockman
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a cute and fun read! Don’t normally read many books like this.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Sound and the Furry (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #6)
  • Gun Shy (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #3)
  • All Shots (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #18)
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Wary (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #6)
  • Hellhound Blues: A Brew & Chew Adventure
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak Mystery, #6)
  • Hounded to Death (Melanie Travis, #14)
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • A Mammoth Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #13)
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery, #1)
  • Terminal (Lomax & Biggs, #5)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)
“They’re an amazing group, as enthusiastic as any people I have ever met. Even Hike seems to perk up when they’re around. They’re in their eighties; I hope I’m that active when I’m in my fifties.” 3 likes
“She’s reading a thriller by David Rosenfelt, one of the great writers of our time,” 1 likes