Start by marking “Onslaught: The War with China--the Opening Battle (Dan Lenson, #16)” as Want to Read:
Onslaught: The War with China--the Opening Battle (Dan Lenson, #16)

Onslaught: The War with China--the Opening Battle

(Dan Lenson #16)

Onslaught chronicles Captain Dan Lenson’s latest challenge as the U.S. Navy struggles to hold Taiwan, Korea, and Japan against a massive Chinese offensive. The prize: domination of Asia and the Western Pacific.
As the United States’ computer, satellite, and financial networks are ravaged by coordinated cyberwar attacks, China and its Associated Powers begin to roll up and
Published December 6th 2016 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Onslaught, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Onslaught

Larry
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The last couple of years have been marked by China's increasingly bold actions in the South China Seas and in the approaches to China from the Pacific. Power's 15th Dan Lenson novel ("Tipping Point") described the onset of the war that could result. The 16th, "Onslaught," describes the beginning and escalation of that war.

Dan Lenson holds the rank of Captain, USN, is a Medal of Honor recipient, and commands the AEGIS missile cruiser "Savo Island." He is a deeply introspective officer who has tak
David
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The author has returned Dan Lenson where is belong, aboard a US Naval Ship at sea in action! I personally have not cared for the character of the NIC Agent, nor all her thought processes. The Rapist I had long ago fingered and the author gets weak when going away from his Naval Seamen and Officers which is his great strength! We know we are going to be left with another novel to come with our valiant, but worn down Captain, his crew and heavily damaged ship needing a lot of ship yard time to rep ...more
Steven Muhlberger
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it

David Poyer's publisher sent me a proof copy of this book in hopes I would comment on it. I was a little hesitant since it is a "big war" story, and such books tend to be a bit on the fantastic side, and their authors often seem to be motivated by a smug confidence that they know better than their readers how things really work.

I very quickly became impressed with David Poyer's most recent naval adventure novel. Not necessarily because he knows more about the modern navy than I do, there's no d
David McCaleb
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Poyer is an excellent author and master of the Naval thriller. Very well written.
Warren
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Power strikes again

As we continue to follow the interesting career of Dan Lenson (one that would have any other on the beach with no career) the Conflict with China over various islands, Taiwan, and anything else China thinks they have a right to, kicks off.  On top of everything going on…Dan has to deal with dubious orders, coalition forces (with different agendas – no surprise), a non-committal Chain of Command (including a soft and conflicted political arm), a rape investigation, and a PITA t
Lewis McIntyre
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a serious book for people who want to understand the seriousness of modern warfare, a war that the US may not win. Ripped from the front pages of today's newspaper, this pits Dan Lenson, CO of the Aegis cruiser USS Savo Island against an enemy at sea fully the match for the US, who has spent decades preparing for this moment... not to mention, enemies at home, ready to undercut commanders in the field at every step. I can vouch for the technical accuracy.
Laura Poppenwimer
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A new battle begins with China as the aggressor. They open with a nuclear blow that wipes out a carrier group and kills 10,000 sailors and marines. This is a battle that seems to be hopeless and ends with the outcome in doubt. This leaves you hanging for the next in the series to see how the war progresses.
Nooilforpacifists
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: naval-fiction
I don’t care for “alternative universe” or “future” naval fiction, but Poyer painted Captain Dan Lenson into a corner—no way he was going to advance to Flag rank with his record—so the author invented a war with China. This is the first of three (I think) books that, as usual, spends time on the parallel advancement of Lenson’s and his wife Blair’s career advancement.
Tom Mahan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad naval battle yarn, with an interesting look at a power grab in china that leads to a breakout of hostilities. Also interesting to see how our allies react as well. Only problem is this is the first in a series of three books to tell the China vs. US conflict. One well done longer book would have been better IMHO.
Kevin Collett
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the first book of the series I have read.

It’s a very solid book and I don’t think I’ve missed anything too important from not reading the earlier books, as far as I can tell anyway.

The writing is nicely paced and action sequences are compelling.

I will be reading the next book(s) in the series.
craig hurdle
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok book to read

I got lost in the storyline kept on reading it got better I would say I am maybe interested in the storyline to keep on reading the storyline of more of the books they are ok I have read two of the books now.
Don
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan does it again.

Dan Lenson captain, is a star in his future? Following his career has been exciting. Hearing his inner thoughts has been very interesting. Cannot wait for the next chapter in his life.
Glenn Dyer
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Poyer's book arrive on the door step, nothing else gets read until I'm done. Dan Lenson is a hero. Poyer's books drip with naval authenticity and he nails the Washington DC political intrigue perfectly. Do yourself a favor and start the Lesson series from the beginning.
David Cross
Way too technical

I'm a retired senior and the book has way too much technical information for the average reader. I enjoy reading a book that has an ending. This did not.
Mike
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting Techno thriller!! Will definitely read the next in the series.
Daniel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Poyer gives us another Book in the Tense China vs USA series of his
Chuck
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good realistic action thriller
Johnny
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardback
As usual, Daniel V. Lenson's attention to honor leads him into a very tight situation. And left out to swing in the wind...
Mike Mildon
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
good book but you want to start the series first
Chris Nardo
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done for a future historical fiction series. Very realistic war scenario with China.
Marianne
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Lots of technical jargon in this book. But what saved it for me was the interweaving of two different sub plot lines with all the navy speak that kept my interest. Very interesting premise
David Rubin
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the third in the series of war with Dan Lensen as captain of a cruiser operating in Asia. It involves the opening bouts in the war with China. All the themes and subplots from the previous books are involved here, at least one of which is drawn to a conclusion. Navy SEALS and their activities constitute a parallel narrative in this book.

As we have come to expect, Poyer's writing is a blend of the highly technical and the interpersonal in a dramatic and tension-filled environment.We
Julia
larry oveson
Jan 24, 2019
Rudolf  Graef
Jan 26, 2018

• The Iceman (World War II Navy, #5)
  • Opening Moves (Red Gambit, #1)
  • Fatal Thunder (Jerry Mitchell, #5)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • The Battle of the Crater
  • Harm's Way
  • Cold Shot (Kyra Stryker & Jonathan Burke, #2)
  • The Art of War (Tommy Carmellini #6; Jake Grafton & Tommy Carmellini Universe #16)
  • His Father's Eyes (Justis Fearsson, #2)
  • A Bad Day at Fort Bragg
  • Red Tide: The Chinese Invasion of Seattle (Occupied Seattle, #1)
  • Pegasus Down (Donovan Nash #6)
  • A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan
  • Lethal Sky (Marika Hartmann #3)
  • Afgantsy: The Russians In Afghanistan, 1979-1989
  • Invasion: New York (Invasion America, #4)
  • Bomb Hunters: Life and Death Stories with Britain's Elite Bomb Disposal Unit in Afghanistan
  • Helix Wars
Aka D.C. Poyer.

DAVID CHARLES POYER was born in DuBois, PA in 1949. He grew up in Brockway, Emlenton, and Bradford, in western Pennsylvania, and graduated from Bradford Area High School in 1967. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1971, and later received a master's degree from George Washington University.

Poyer's active and reserve naval service included sea duty in the Atlan

Dan Lenson (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Med (Dan Lenson, #1)
  • The Gulf (Dan Lenson, #2)
  • The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3)
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5)
  • China Sea (Dan Lenson, #6)
  • Black Storm (Dan Lenson, #7)
  • The Command (Dan Lenson, #8)
  • The Threat (Dan Lenson, #9)
  • Korea Strait (Dan Lenson, #10)