Start by marking “C is for Chimera” as Want to Read:
C is for Chimera

C is for Chimera

(Alphabet Anthologies)

This installment of Rhonda Parrish’s alphabet anthology series asks skilled storytellers to write around the theme of chimera. The resulting tales are part fable, part poem, part dream. But like any chimera, the parts make up a greater whole.

Blend reality with fantasy. Mesh science fiction with mystery. Mix history with what should have been. They are all chimera.

A shadow
Published April 19th 2016 by Poise and Pen Publishing (first published April 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about C is for Chimera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C is for Chimera

Start your review of C is for Chimera
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
[Note: I received an electronic ARC of this anthology, and both the editor and a couple contributors are friends of mine. Just FYI, in the interests of full disclosure.]

The thing I love about anthologies is that they're always such a mixed bag. And Rhonda Parrish does an especially good job of mixing it up with her alphabet anthologies. C is for Chimera invokes both the mythological beast and the Frankenstein's monster of modern science, and the stories cover everything from traditional folk sto
Elesha
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I quite enjoyed this book, though it took me a little longer to read. I was impressed with the wide variety of stories inside. Not all of them were for me, but they were all very well written. There is definitely something in here for everyone. The different ways the author used the theme chimera was amazing.

There are 26 stories in this anthology that range from fantasy to sci-fi to dark to hopeful to just plain weird (in
KV Taylor
Feb 09, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I have the letter "B" in this one! So excited!
Stephanie A. Cain
I was lucky enough to score an e-ARC of Rhonda Parrish's latest alphabet anthology, C is for Chimera, in exchange for an honest review. Releasing April 12, this book is a good showcase for Parrish's literary curatorship. I'm a huge fan of Parrish's anthologies, from Fae to Corvidae and its companion Scarecrow, so I jumped at a chance to review her latest. And while this definitely has a different feel than her Magical Menagerie series, her skilled editorial touch is still obvious.

First, I should
Tony King
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The latest "alphabet anthology" from editor Rhonda Parrish (Poise and Pen Publishing) takes readers into dark places. The opening stories deliver an oppressive atmosphere which leads into warrens where even innocent creatures such as butterflies are soaked in menace and terror. However, just as the stories seem destined to be as unrelentingly bleak as the monsters they describe, hope and even joy emerge.

It may be hard to to envision 26 stories about Chimera. By definition, a Chimera is one of t
S.L. Saboviec
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Note: I received a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a fan of Rhonda Parrish's anthologies, and, as always, this one is great. The format is like the previous two (A is for Apocalypse, B is for Broken), where each author writes a story around a word beginning with their given letter. What I really love is that the word isn't given until the very end. Sometimes the word is obvious. Sometimes not so much.

A couple of the stories left me scratching my head in confusion, but since there a
Shanlynn Walker
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of short stories, each with a running theme and different perspective of a chimera. It's a hard book to rate, mostly because some of the stories I would definitely give five stars, and others... not so much. I will say I really liked most of the stories, but there are a few that I couldn't get into very much. I gave it four stars because I did find most of the stories entertaining, and I love good short stories if truth be known. I found myself reading them during my br ...more
Caroline
I have to admit up front that I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review, but I don't think this affects my opinion. C for Chimera is an anthology of 26 short stories, one for each letter of the alphabet. One fun aspect of the book is trying to guess the title of each story as this only appears at the end of each story. The stories are well-written and bring out the idea of Chimera in unusual ways. Especially memorable is the shocker B is for Butterfly, the reworking of the Cinderel ...more
Beth Cato
Jan 15, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Not a review. Includes my story for "S."
Barbara.Tomporowskiyahoo.Com
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
C is for Chimera is the third installment in the Alphabet Anthologies by Poise and Pen Publishing. Edited by Rhonda Parrish, this anthology contains 26 stories titled with a single letter of the alphabet. That letter refers to a theme, image, character, or plot device within the story, pitting the reader against the author in puzzling out what the letter symbolizes before the final page where its meaning is revealed. While the symbolism was obvious in a few of the chapters, several left me guess ...more
Reb
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
[I received an electronic ARC of the book and I know the editor and one of the contributors, in interests of full disclosure, but that did not influence my review... especially since I didn't know the one contributor had contributed until I reached her story.]

C is for Chimera is the third book in the Alphabet Anthologies series (following A is for Apocalypse and B is for Broken), edited by Rhonda Parrish.

Starting with A and working all the way through Z, authors share a variety of stories all ba
Clive Tern
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading an anthology is like having a selection box of chocolates (a cliche, but only because it's true). You may not love every single story, but there's not one that'll be left unread. C for Chimera is like having a premium selection box. I was always going to zero in on Beth Cato's story (S), and wow it did not disappoint. My favorite was Laura VanArendonk Baugh's N. What I love about the collection is the varied styles, tones, and story constructions; you never have a 'didn't I just read thi ...more
Tabitha Lord
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rhonda Parrish’s Alphabet Anthology series had me at the first letter! Her latest installment, C is for Chimera, released this week, and maintains the top quality writing put forth in the first two. The chimeras in the collection, all creatures of mixed parts, are sometimes monstrous and sometimes wondrous. While each story has its own tone and style, together they bring the reader on a strange and fascinating journey.

You can read my interview with Rhonda Parrish - The Art of Anthology on BookCl
Sherry Ramsey
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016, ebooks
This imaginative anthology offers such a wide variety of stories, themes, and ideas that it's practically impossible to choose favourites. While the chimera is a unifying thread throughout the stories, the authors deal with the theme in stunningly different ways and interpretations. Although the flavour overall was a little darker than I might normally choose, I still enjoyed the stories and found them thought-provoking, and there is a broad mix of tone in the volume. If you like short speculati ...more
Megan
Sep 19, 2016
Amanda Cornell
Apr 12, 2016
Maureen
Feb 28, 2016
Alexandra
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Steve Bornstein
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Feb 05, 2016
Pete Aldin
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Mary Montgomery
Apr 27, 2018
Atrichia
Dec 14, 2018
Laura Baugh
Jan 11, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Rhonda
Jan 16, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Wulfwyn
Melissa Willard
Emma
Nora
Jan 20, 2016
Like a magpie, Rhonda Parrish is constantly distracted by shiny things. She’s the editor of many anthologies and author of plenty of books, stories and poems.

She lives with her husband and three cats in Edmonton, Alberta, and she can often be found there playing Dungeons and Dragons, bingeing crime dramas or cheering on the Oilers.

Her website, updated regularly, is at http://www.rhondaparrish.com

Alphabet Anthologies (6 books)
  • A is for Apocalypse
  • B is for Broken
  • D is for Dinosaur
  • E is for Evil (Alphabet Anthologies Book 5)
  • F is for Fairy