Start by marking “Moo” as Want to Read:
Moo

Moo

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  6,253 ratings  ·  1,067 reviews
Fans of Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech’s Love That Dog and Hate That Cat will love her newest tween novel, Moo. This uplifting tale reminds us that if we’re open to new experiences, life is full of surprises. Following one family’s momentous move from the city to rural Maine, an unexpected bond develops between twelve-year-old Reena and one very ornery cow.

When Reena,
Published August 30th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Moo, please sign up.
Kawaii Potato I get it to know because I read the book and cause you guys said it Thank you

·  6,253 ratings  ·  1,067 reviews

Kellee
It all revolves around a cow. An ornery, wonderful cow that helps a girl find home, a woman find closure, a boy share a passion, and a family settle down. Fans of any Creech work, though especially Love that Dog, will love her word play and imagery in this novel in verse/vignettes.
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

THIS BOOK
The truth is that this book was
A M A Z I N G.
Displaced children are a common theme in a lot of
middle grade novels but this one was special.
And not just because it is Sharon
C
R
E
E
C
H
(although she really knows what she is doing)
Two children are taken out of their metropolitan setting and forced to
Adapt to a more rural one.
They are out of place, outside of their comfort zone
Yet they adapt. And they make

Brandy Painter
The story here is fine. I guess. Incredibly predictable and cliché, but there's nothing terrible about it. The characters are fairly stock with little development. There is definitely emotional manipulation at the end to tug on your heartstrings and make the book feel important. Yawn. The worst thing about this book is its atrocious formatting. It is a "blank verse" poetry novel, which is often used as a blanket way of covering all sorts of linguistic sins. This could be the textbook example of ...more
Krista Regester
As fellow reviewers have stated : the parts written in verse were probably better left out. I think I enjoyed this more because I listened to it instead of using a hard copy. Being able to hear the hard accents used and the voice of Reena gave it a better experience.

Did I think I would hear the word dung used so many times? no.
Donna
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story about change, neighbors, and finding strength in strange places.
Reena narrates this heartwarming story about one city family's move to rural Maine. There, Reena and her brother Luke are volunteered to an old woman who owns a few animals. Not knowing what to expect from this cranky woman, Reena and Luke come to love the farm and especially the stubborn cow, Zora. As they slowly get to know the older woman, they also learn what life on a farm entails. At the end of the story Reena refl
Angela Juline
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful...I love Sharon Creech and I will be buying this for my elementary library.

Favorite verse from the book:

Sometimes I had to
close my eyes
to rest them from
all the new everythings
pouring in.
Evi
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-caudills
It was a cute book, but not really until literally the last 45 pages. I didn't especially enjoy this one, but I'm giving it 2 stars because it was worth it in the end. So um, read this if ... well, I guess read this if you enjoy reading about steamy cow poop...
Claire
Mar 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I guess the ending was good....though it was not exactly my favorite book :(
Destinee Sutton
I wanted to like this, but I found it boring. It reminded me too much of Defiance. Both books are about a kid who meets an eccentric old lady with a cow. The old lady helps the kid see the world differently. Thanks, magical old lady! Thanks, cow!

I think the blank verse/concrete poetry/creative typography stuff will appeal to fans of, like, Geronimo Stilton? I wasn't impressed by it. It seemed somehow lazy for a writer as talented as Creech. Like, let's write "drip" like this:

d r i p
r
i
p

and, oh,
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in showing farm animals
3.5 stars. This was a very fast read, as it was partially written in verse. It tells the story of a 12 year old girl from the city whose family decides, almost on the spur of the moment to move to rural Maine. In that process her family befriends an eccentric old lady with a farm who lives nearby and both the girl's life, Mrs. Falala's life, and indeed the girl's whole family's life is changed as a result. It was at times, funny and touching too. If you're interested in cows as show animals, you ...more
Patrick
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to this newest Creech novel for some time. It didn't disappoint. Beautiful writing. The format was fresh and unique. I'll be looking at cows in a whole new way.
Myles
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a very quick read but I have held onto it for so long because I've been preoccupied with other books that I've picked up beforehand. Moo had a very stereotypical way of portraying Maine but in this case, it wasn't bad. The book starts off with 12-year-old Reena living life in the big city. Her parents want to escape the craziness of the city and want to settle somewhere where it isn't so busy so in the car, they come up with ideas and Reena yells "Maine!"Her family ends up moving to Maine ...more
נєииу ♠ ¢συят σf ¢яσωѕ ♠
Again, too much random scatterings of words for me. It's a very light, easy read, but the plot just felt sort of overused by similar books and... not special, I suppose.

And now I just want to live in Maine even more and learn to speak like Zep.
Sara Grochowski
In elementary school Sharon Creech was one of my favorite authors and, to put it simply, she's still got it. MOO is a sweet story about a young girl whose family leaves the big city, relocating to Maine. Before she's even had a chance to settle in, Reena's parents have promised their grumpy, elderly neighbor that Reena and her brother will help volunteer three days a week, doing chores. Despite Reena protests, she of course comes to love the farm, her neighbor, and participating in the local fai ...more
Sandra
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-readers
How do you fall in love with a black and white cow? Why, read *Moo* by Sharon Creech, of course! Reena’s family dares greatly to uproot from the city to move to the countryside in Maine, where they meet an eccentric old lady named Mrs. Falala at her farm. Reena and her little brother Luke are asked to help her tend to her animals, against their free will, as she seems both odd and rude at the same time. They get to know Mrs. Falala and Zora, the stubborn, defiant cow, and unlikely friendships en ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I liked this simple novel in verse the more and more I read of it. Twelve-year-old Reena and her family move from New York City to a seaside house in Maine, and experience the culture shock/pleasures of a semi-rural and slower-paced life. They're coerced into helping an old Italian lady, Mrs. Falala, tend to the animals on her farm, and to prepare her cow, Zora, to be shown at the local fair. The relationship between Mrs. Falala and the children grows closer as they get to know each other. I lov ...more
Jason  Lu
So Good finally finished!
Tammy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a charming story and a really quick read. A "fish out of water" story with good characters, dialect, and cows. Having spent my teen years living on a dairy and hog farm, I was able to identify with the situation, and I also grew to love cows and the whole livestock-showing world. That's not the main focus of this story, though. Inter-generational relationships are not as common in our world as they used to be, and former city-dwellers recently transplanted to Maine struggle with getting ...more
Meredith
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mock-newbery
I was not moved at all by the major event at the end of this book, which tells me that characterization and pulling in the reader emotionally was not done well. Although I did sympathize with Reena and am glad my parents didn't randomly sign me up to do chores for strangers.

The different fonts here and there were not necessary - they either should have been used a LOT more, or not used at all. The "poetry" was not poetic.

Stick with Love that Dog!
Amanda  Schreiber
Sharon Creech fans will not be disappointed in this humorous & "moo-ving" story. Creech is a masterful & lyrical writer that tells the story of a family's move to Maine. They must overcome new challenges such as adapting to small town life & training of an ornery cow. Perfect middle grade read for fans of Love that Dog! I did find the story a little long & was thankful for the white-space to help break up the story!
Alexis Jackson
Merp.

Moves quickly, very predictable. Felt more attached to Zora the cow than the other characters.
C.J. Milbrandt
Reena's family makes a massive life-change by moving from the big city to a small town in Maine. Over the summer, Reena and her little brother Luke help (crazy) old Mrs. Falala with her (bizarre) animals. Charging pigs and shoveling dung. Lonely moos and blow-drying belties. Farm boys and fairgrounds and flutes. And the trauma of realizing where hamburger comes from.

A mix of prose and short-burst poetry, capturing the emotion of many scenes in order to paint them. Much sibling love and family c
Samriddhi
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book, I liked how the author used a different format than what most authors use. When something happens in the book the author makes it look like what is happening with her words. It's hard to explain. But anyways, the book actually was pretty short and there wasn't a lot of detail in this book but it was still fun to read.
Aryana Parmar
This book was good, but if it had been longer and explained the relationships in more detail, I think I would have liked it better. But, if you like cows and barns and weirdly formatted books, then this one's for you.
Reese
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Moo was not very interesting until the end. The ending was very good and full of details!
Harper
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was a great book about friendship
Megan Lane
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Big heart.
An extra star for the origin of this specific copy, haha.
This was darling. Unexpected. Whimsical. Such imagery. I can picture everything like it was a movie or something. I love that.
Also, Zep, aw. That was cute.
Ahh. Thanks.
MOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pini
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first verse novel and I actually really liked it. It's about a girl, Reena, and her brother Luke, whose family moves to Maine from New York City. Although it's a very different style of writing, I was able to get a feel for how Reena (the protagonist) felt. Verse gives a different feel to the book and can often be more expressive and paint a more vivid picture than prose.
Johni
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a good book. but the ending is very sad.

• Garvey's Choice
  • Save Me a Seat
  • Fly Away
  • Mountain Dog
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • Maxi's Secrets: (or what you can learn from a dog)
  • Ebb and Flow
  • Blue Birds
  • Free Verse
  • Knockout (House Arrest, #2)
  • Unbound: A Novel in Verse
I was born in South Euclid, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, and grew up there with my noisy and rowdy family: my parents (Ann and Arvel), my sister (Sandy), and my three brothers (Dennis, Doug and Tom).
For a fictional view of what it was like growing up in my family, see Absolutely Normal Chaos. (In that book, the brothers even have the same names as my own brothers.) Our house was not only full of
“I was sitting in the backseat with my brother, Luke, a seven-year-old complexity. Sometimes he acted as if he were two, and sometimes twelve. He was full of questions and energy and opinions except when you wanted him to have any of those things.” 0 likes