Start by marking “God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School” as Want to Read:
God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School

God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School

Two young Harvard MBAs on the fast track to wealth and power, tell their story of Gods transforming power and offer a look at joyful and radical generosity they call INFINITE GIVING. As lifelong Christians, both Greg Baumer and John Cortines tithed regularly. But they didnt give much thought to the intersection of faith and money until 2014 when, in the rather unlikely set ...more
Published February 1st 2016 by Rose Publishing (CA)

To ask other readers questions about God and Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God and Money

Start your review of God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School
David Huff
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first thing that intrigued me about this book was that the study on which it is based took place at Harvard --- not known to be a bastion of evangelical spirituality. That said, the authors did a fine, comprehensive job presenting the Biblical case for generosity; even to the point of becoming "radical" givers themselves.

They begin with a thorough look at what the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, has to say about money, wealth and giving, followed by seven core principles of Biblical wea
Marissa
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Honestly one of the best books I have ever read. Not only does it have great spiritual examples and personal anecdotes, but John and Greg lead such lives of examples and are true servants of God and His Kingdom. If you are a person of faith and don't always feel the fulfillment of a Christ-lived life, or seek success but still feel empty, read this book! It'll change how you think about wealth, success, and your life's purpose
Phil Kline
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Early chapters are very basic for anyone familiar with basic financial theology, but the rest of the book is unique, offering windows into the way individual Christians exercise generosity and providing practical ideas and frameworks for money management - based on the idea that it's not "how much should I give?" but "how much do I need to keep?"

Not all ideas will be applicable or helpful to all people, but the discussion itself is a fresh addition to a topic that doesn't get much non-general a
Betsy Ray
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really transformed my thinking on giving and generosity . My favorite quote was ...a faithful reading of Scripture leads not to the question “How much should I give? “but rather to the question “How much do I need to keep?” The book doesn’t make you feel guilty for wanting to save for college or retirement, yet challenges you to think about how much is enough and reduce our earthly possessions by giving to kingdom causes while we are living. Note: this is not a “how to” book on getting ...more
Grant E. Dawson
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE book to read if you want to know what God says about money and how we should live in light of what He has said.
Will Pareja
This is an excellent book. Thoughtful.
I read it during a time of more deep pondering of radical discipleship especially financial. I wouldn’t call this a primer on generous living but more so an intermediate but very practical book. Other books like those by Randy Alcorn might better prime the potential reader of this book.
The first third of the book feels like a discussion among high earning, wealthy Christians. It’s beneficial but you might get the sense of ‘I don’t really fit in here much’.
Starson A
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic reading for those who believe that money and resource can be used and must be used for more than personal need.
Kristyn Dees
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read to help shape a healthy, Biblical, and relevant view on money, wealth, giving, saving, and spending. One of the better things I've read in awhile.
David Sharp
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this hoping for some fresh insights on stewardship. I can’t say there was anything groundbreaking. Shortly after God saved me, he began revealing the many layers of sin wrapped up in my relationship with money. He’s not done with me yet, but by his grace I am not the man I once was. One benefit of reading this book is that it has stirred in me a renewed desire to not become complacent I want to take some of the principles that the authors set out and apply them more precisely in the final ...more
Kevin Cullis
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed reading this book it had a tons of views that I had not considered before and will digest over time. However, the frequent emphasis that "God owns everything" was a sticking point with me. I'm reminded that Job 1:3 said, "HIS POSSESSIONS also were..." and it did not say in the plain text, "Job was a steward of God's possessions." In Job 1:9, "Hast Thou not made a hedge about him and HIS HOUSE and ALL THAT HE HAS...".

However, like a parent who gives a toy to child, if
Marty Hu
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it was very real. I felt like the writers had roughly the same background as I did and struggled with a lot of the same problems. They responded by honestly trying to understand what real people do. I could empathize with a lot of what they mentioned in this book. The authors also write in a very analytical way that resonates well with me.

Giving is a challenging practice to absorb. Part of this is because a lot of generous givers remain unknown, so it can be
Judy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book does a wonderful job of helping readers evaluate the foundations of their relationship with money. It challenges Christians to move beyond cultural norms and goals and to lean into the abundant life of radical generosity that God invites us to live. I particularly loved the vision of making major financial decisions (spending and giving) with the input of godly community. The authors cover this subject in as comprehensive a way as I’ve ever seen it covered. I recommend that every Chris ...more
Jon
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual, sfpl-audio
They make some good points, and I like their overall framework for generous living. However, there are a lot of assumptions the authors make about their audience and the way their audience thinks. Being someone who used to think along those lines, I can follow it, but I find it frustrating. I'm not sure whether they chose to write this way intentionally because of their target audience, or whether they themselves can't see outside their subculture. Either way, it doesn't actually invalidate thei ...more
Marianne
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cortines and Bauer challenged my view of giving so much through their diligent research of scripture, examples of how servant-hearted giving has shown itself in the lives of every day people, and then an update on where they are now after having written the book and applied what they’ve learned. One of my favorite tangible takeaways is being asked the question not how much should you give away, but how much should you keep? You never know what’s on the other side of obedience.
Kayla Hollatz
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book will totally change your perspective from a Saver (like me) or Spender to a Servant mindset. It was convicting in all the right ways. There were a few parts that were a bit dry and redundant, but overall this is a really great book filled with many truths. I love how much they used scripture to back their claims.
Steven Willis
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good. I didn't love how it was organized honestly. Great principles though. Although this is very similar to Randy Alcorn's "Money, Possessions and Eternity" in that it's similar content, only written to my age group, I prefer Alcorn's book.
Eric
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I enjoyed this book. I felt it was practical and gives solid biblical pinning to our finances and wealth. I liked the intent of the authors trying to decide how much is enough but it’s hard to see how a working class family would be able to achieve this type of wealth accumulation.
Abby Shea
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing perspectives and research (both biblical and secular perspectives--that surprisingly agree on the topic of generosity) about how to live in the world but not of it in terms of our finances. I highly highly recommend!!!
Jim Horton
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New thinking required!

Love the research, stories, and practical applications. All Christians should read this to truly understand generosity and God’s word on money.
Greg
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really changed my thinking on generosity. The main point, It's not how much I need to give its how much do I need to keep.
Kathleen
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written from a perspective outside my income bracket, but I’ve found the concepts helpful all the same. Recommended!
Jessica A
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly impactful.
Maysheen
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mental Note. Discuss this book with future husband for our finances!
Emartinez
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Relatable. Practical. Vastly interesting and altogether inspiring. This book is an overarching story and collection of worship and trust that makes you - no matter where you are financially - want to be deeply faithful with little and much. Both idealistic and material.
Elizabeth Fosson
Apr 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
OMG! First, I seriously hope Harvard Business School is not teaching people to speak in absolutes!

The author(s) need to determine who is the audience here!! Seems this is for the non biblical Christian... He continually is telling the Christian they “should” be a “giver” if they are a “Christian”... however, no scripture or theology to back it up... lots of references to the reasoning of other religions or non religion reasons for giving... not mentioning the reasons that maybe political social
Alex
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has really changed my perspective on money management.

Like anyone else interested in personal finance, I have read Dave Ramsey and Robert Kiyosaki. Although they can provide the basics of personal finance, they cannot add the enhancing qualities of personal money management and put it all together like this book does.

The ideas discussed here have helped me to put my income and worldly possessions into perspective as well as coming up with a practical plan to give money to charities.
Jeff G
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
insightful, transparent, personal and practical. Helpful ways to think about personal wealth and spending limits...what the authors call Personal Wealth and Spending finish lines. How much is enough?

The authors don't simply present their own views on money. In fact, they start with looking at Scripture. They also talk with a number of godly, wise folks and share their perspectives.
Clayton Keenon
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
5 stars for readers who are wealthy/upper middle class

3 stars for those who are not

• Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • True Faced: Trust God and Others with Who You Really Are
  • Be the Dad She Needs You to Be: The Indelible Imprint a Father Leaves on His Daughter's Life
  • Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids
  • John Wesley
  • A Theology as Big as the City: The Case for Natural Law
  • Your Legacy: The Greatest Gift
  • Gospel Coach: Shepherding Leaders to Glorify God
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?
  • The Art of Spiritual Writing: How to Craft Prose That Engages and Inspires Your Readers
  • On Critical Pedagogy
“God desires that we use His gifts of provision for our own enjoyment, in addition to serving others.” 0 likes
“Scripture includes over 2,000 verses on wealth and money for a reason: our handling of wealth is critical to our relationship with God! Randy Alcorn said it best: “God sees our finances and our faith as inseparable.” 0 likes