Start by marking “God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School” as Want to Read:
God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School

God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School

Two young Harvard MBAs on the fast track to wealth and power, tell their story of Gods transforming power and offer a look at joyful and radical generosity they call INFINITE GIVING. As lifelong Christians, both Greg Baumer and John Cortines tithed regularly. But they didnt give much thought to the intersection of faith and money until 2014 when, in the rather unlikely set ...more
Published February 1st 2016 by Rose Publishing (CA)

To ask other readers questions about God and Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God and Money

Start your review of God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School
David Huff
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first thing that intrigued me about this book was that the study on which it is based took place at Harvard --- not known to be a bastion of evangelical spirituality. That said, the authors did a fine, comprehensive job presenting the Biblical case for generosity; even to the point of becoming "radical" givers themselves.

They begin with a thorough look at what the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, has to say about money, wealth and giving, followed by seven core principles of Biblical wea
Marissa
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Honestly one of the best books I have ever read. Not only does it have great spiritual examples and personal anecdotes, but John and Greg lead such lives of examples and are true servants of God and His Kingdom. If you are a person of faith and don't always feel the fulfillment of a Christ-lived life, or seek success but still feel empty, read this book! It'll change how you think about wealth, success, and your life's purpose
Stacy
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so challenging! I really enjoyed it & will ponder its assertions & suggestions for a long time. ...more
Phil Kline
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Early chapters are very basic for anyone familiar with basic financial theology, but the rest of the book is unique, offering windows into the way individual Christians exercise generosity and providing practical ideas and frameworks for money management - based on the idea that it's not "how much should I give?" but "how much do I need to keep?"

Not all ideas will be applicable or helpful to all people, but the discussion itself is a fresh addition to a topic that doesn't get much non-general a
Betsy Ray
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really transformed my thinking on giving and generosity . My favorite quote was ...a faithful reading of Scripture leads not to the question “How much should I give? “but rather to the question “How much do I need to keep?” The book doesn’t make you feel guilty for wanting to save for college or retirement, yet challenges you to think about how much is enough and reduce our earthly possessions by giving to kingdom causes while we are living. Note: this is not a “how to” book on getting ...more
Ben Snyder
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well written book that challenged my thinking around radical generosity and a foundation on which to build my relationship with money. I appreciated the foundational approach of Scripture as well as the significant time spent on practical application. The book does use examples of primarily upper class earners, but it was inspiring to these levels of radical generosity. The principles are widely applicable in the Christian community, but the experience of many of the examples is not normative. O ...more
Grant E. Dawson
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE book to read if you want to know what God says about money and how we should live in light of what He has said.
Will Pareja
This is an excellent book. Thoughtful.
I read it during a time of more deep pondering of radical discipleship especially financial. I wouldn’t call this a primer on generous living but more so an intermediate but very practical book. Other books like those by Randy Alcorn might better prime the potential reader of this book.
The first third of the book feels like a discussion among high earning, wealthy Christians. It’s beneficial but you might get the sense of ‘I don’t really fit in here much’.
Starson A
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic reading for those who believe that money and resource can be used and must be used for more than personal need.
Kristyn Dees
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read to help shape a healthy, Biblical, and relevant view on money, wealth, giving, saving, and spending. One of the better things I've read in awhile.
David Sharp
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this hoping for some fresh insights on stewardship. I can’t say there was anything groundbreaking. Shortly after God saved me, he began revealing the many layers of sin wrapped up in my relationship with money. He’s not done with me yet, but by his grace I am not the man I once was. One benefit of reading this book is that it has stirred in me a renewed desire to not become complacent I want to take some of the principles that the authors set out and apply them more precisely in the final ...more
Kevin Cullis
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed reading this book it had a tons of views that I had not considered before and will digest over time. However, the frequent emphasis that "God owns everything" was a sticking point with me. I'm reminded that Job 1:3 said, "HIS POSSESSIONS also were..." and it did not say in the plain text, "Job was a steward of God's possessions." In Job 1:9, "Hast Thou not made a hedge about him and HIS HOUSE and ALL THAT HE HAS...".

However, like a parent who gives a toy to child, if the child mi
Marty Hu
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it was very real. I felt like the writers had roughly the same background as I did and struggled with a lot of the same problems. They responded by honestly trying to understand what real people do. I could empathize with a lot of what they mentioned in this book. The authors also write in a very analytical way that resonates well with me.

Giving is a challenging practice to absorb. Part of this is because a lot of generous givers remain unknown, so it can be hard to obs
Shaun
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best financial books I've read, and definitely gives a different perspective on how to view money.

All the advice here is rooted in the Bible's teaching of money and wealth, mixed in with examples of how different people in the business world and the authors themselves have become a blessing to their communities after realizing that the money they earned is not really theirs, but God's.

This book will teach you to change your mindset from "how should I give" to "how mu
Jon
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual, sfpl-audio
They make some good points, and I like their overall framework for generous living. However, there are a lot of assumptions the authors make about their audience and the way their audience thinks. Being someone who used to think along those lines, I can follow it, but I find it frustrating. I'm not sure whether they chose to write this way intentionally because of their target audience, or whether they themselves can't see outside their subculture. Either way, it doesn't actually invalidate thei ...more
Judy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book does a wonderful job of helping readers evaluate the foundations of their relationship with money. It challenges Christians to move beyond cultural norms and goals and to lean into the abundant life of radical generosity that God invites us to live. I particularly loved the vision of making major financial decisions (spending and giving) with the input of godly community. The authors cover this subject in as comprehensive a way as I’ve ever seen it covered. I recommend that every Chris ...more
Derek Meiss
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I would have loved to have written. Studying the Scripture, using God's Word as the clear and ultimate foundation for what the authors' so clearly to crafted to shine the light on the topic of money . . . so well done. They pose hard questions, provide a framework that can be incorporated as little or as much by practically anyone who could read a copy (regardless of financial well-being) and demonstrate their own vulnerability by sharing their challenges and successes in practici ...more
Marianne
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cortines and Bauer challenged my view of giving so much through their diligent research of scripture, examples of how servant-hearted giving has shown itself in the lives of every day people, and then an update on where they are now after having written the book and applied what they’ve learned. One of my favorite tangible takeaways is being asked the question not how much should you give away, but how much should you keep? You never know what’s on the other side of obedience.
Scott Wozniak
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a look at the biblical approach to money--how it is useful servant and a horrible master. It's a call to a larger purpose in life, one that requires faith to trust in God. It didn't have anything new for me, but I've read and studied this topic quite a bit. So, if this is a new study area for you, this would be a great book to read. But if this is not a new topic for you, then you may want to look at other resources.
Kayla Hollatz
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book will totally change your perspective from a Saver (like me) or Spender to a Servant mindset. It was convicting in all the right ways. There were a few parts that were a bit dry and redundant, but overall this is a really great book filled with many truths. I love how much they used scripture to back their claims.
Trevor Atwood
This is an excellent, humbly-written book using your money as a servant, rather than a mere spender or saver.

Been looking for a book like this for a long time.

It’s greatest weakness is that it tends to speak the language more for people making 6 figures. But, don’t let that scare you away. The principles here are scalable and solid.

Excellent work.
Cheryl
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that has helped me see financial stewardship in a whole different light. It challenges how as servants of Christ, we should carefully weigh the savings vs giving decision according to the priority of the needs around us. Instead of asking how much should I give, perhaps the right question is: how much do I really need to keep?
Eric
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I enjoyed this book. I felt it was practical and gives solid biblical pinning to our finances and wealth. I liked the intent of the authors trying to decide how much is enough but it’s hard to see how a working class family would be able to achieve this type of wealth accumulation.
Steven Willis
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good. I didn't love how it was organized honestly. Great principles though. Although this is very similar to Randy Alcorn's "Money, Possessions and Eternity" in that it's similar content, only written to my age group, I prefer Alcorn's book.
Abby Shea
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing perspectives and research (both biblical and secular perspectives--that surprisingly agree on the topic of generosity) about how to live in the world but not of it in terms of our finances. I highly highly recommend!!!
Jeremy
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little book on how to think about personal finance from A Christian worldview

Concise (<200 pages) but manages to be fairly thorough in its treatment of personal finance from a distinctly Christian perspective. Great resources referenced for further research as well.
Greg
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really changed my thinking on generosity. The main point, It's not how much I need to give its how much do I need to keep.
Alisha
Good book. This is just what I was looking for. #LearnMoreDoMore2018
Kathleen
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written from a perspective outside my income bracket, but I’ve found the concepts helpful all the same. Recommended!
Jessica A
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Redundant

• Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Plan for the World
  • The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human.
  • Make it Happen: Surrender Your Fear. Take the Leap. Live On Purpose.
  • Unoffendable: How Just One Change Can Make All of Life Better
  • Letters to the Church
  • The Lifegiving Home: Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story
  • A Spirituality of Fundraising
  • Lessons from a Sheep Dog: A True Story of Transforming Love
  • Queer Eye: Love Yourself. Love Your Life.
  • The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith
  • Lioness Arising
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose

News & Interviews

“God desires that we use His gifts of provision for our own enjoyment, in addition to serving others.” 0 likes
“Scripture includes over 2,000 verses on wealth and money for a reason: our handling of wealth is critical to our relationship with God! Randy Alcorn said it best: “God sees our finances and our faith as inseparable.” 0 likes