Start by marking “I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark” as Want to Read:
I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark

I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark

Get to know celebrated Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg—in the first picture book about her life—as she proves that disagreeing does not make you disagreeable!

Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has spent a lifetime disagreeing: disagreeing with inequality, arguing against unfair treatment, and standing up for what’s right for people everywhere. This biograp
Published September 20th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Dissent, please sign up.
N I'll echo Erica and also point out that there is a Young Reader's Edition of The Notorious RBG that might be good. (Obviously this is way late now for…moreI'll echo Erica and also point out that there is a Young Reader's Edition of The Notorious RBG that might be good. (Obviously this is way late now for the original poster, but perhaps it can be helpful for someone else.)(less)

Start your review of I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark
David Schaafsma
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
RIP, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 9/2020

I Assent to this Book!

I am watching my ten-year-old daughter read this book, and I smile, with some pride and hope for the future. At certain points she reads out what were even for me surprising details: RBG was one of only 9 women in her law school class of more than 500. RBG saw signs, growing up, that read: "No dogs. No Jews."

This is not surprising to me: "Boys were expected to grow up, and do big things in the world. Girls? Girls were expected to fin
Dylan Teut
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved how this book made a point that even though she often disagreed with Justice Scalia, they were still quite good friends. A great message that we can disagree on things and not hate each other. But the book is also so much more than that.
Kristen
"Disagreeable? No. Determined? Yes."

I've always been a fan of RBG, so I really enjoyed reading this book. When I think powerful female, RBG always comes to mind. This book definitely reflected that through the life events that the author chose to focus on.

What was striking, and most definitely dismaying, was the prejudice RBG faced being Jewish. Not only this, but she also dealt with resistance for simply being a woman in a "working man's world". The book also touched on the time period -- "whi
Theresa Alan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like most people who care about what’s happening in the world and aspire to live in a more just society, I’m a huge admirer of Justice Ginsburg. The discrimination she faced as a Jewish female was appalling. She was one of nine women and 500 men in her class, and despite tying for graduating first in her class, she had trouble finding work because women were supposed to stay home with their children.

What Ginsburg has accomplished is awe-inspiring. I bought this for my six-year-old niece, and sh
Dov Zeller
RBG is one of those folks who has a Clark Kentish librarian look even when she's in full-on superhero mode. I suppose that's true of a lot of heroes (they don' wear spandex and capes when they're fighting for justice.) But when I think back to some of the early superhero comics I think, well, Ginsburg could easily have been one of the models.

In any case, this is a great little window into Ginsburg's history and family life, adding some humor into the mix, making her more than just a hero, but a
Stephanie Anze
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Disagreeable? No. Determined? Yes."

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a force to contend with. The second women to be appointed to the Supreme Court (after Sandra Day O'Connor), she is primarily known for being the "Great Dissenter" of the court. Ginsburg made a name for herself since high school. Attending college at Cornell, Harvard and Columbia Law School Ginsburg often outshined her mostly male classmates but still struggled to get hired. Why? Because she was a women. Well Ginsburg did not let that sto
Donalyn
Don't miss the author's note with additional information about RBG.
Julie
"Disagreeing does not make a person disagreeable. In fact, it can change the world!"
Danielle
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Terrifically told and boldly designed. (Love the detail that it all started with reading in the library for RBG.)
Cheryl
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bravo; well done. Lots of information, but engagingly and accessibly told. Even more in the appendices, including photos. A little too simple, I think, for the 10-11 year olds who are usually assigned, iirc, a biographical research report, but maybe a good introduction for them, and definitely a worthy read for any young non-fiction fan.

I especially liked that the book pointed out how prejudices and limits affect all, not just those directly targeted. And I liked the bit about how she and Scalia
karenbee
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't going to review I Dissent because I'm trying not to "cheat" in this year's GR challenge but my 7-year-old daughter asked to read it TWICE, which is unheard of these days unless a book involves wars amongst the stars or Lego ninja, so I wanted to add to the sky-high ratings. When I brought it home, it got a hard pass because both of my younger kids thought the cover looked boring -- I love the cover, but our tastes diverge at times.

About a week later, my 7-year-old asked if we could read
Stacy Fetters
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
"Her voice might not carry a tune, but it sings out for equality. Step by step, she has made a difference... one disagreement after another."
I received a special tote bag at BEA for this book and now it's one that I carry all over the place with me. So, having that bag made me anxious to read this book.
What a fantastic way to get history out to kids. It's not only great to learn about the history of equality and the good fight of RBG, but all those delicious vocabulary words are flowing freely t
Snooty1
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
********1000 STARS*******
I wanted to start my year out with a book that would be inspiring to me!!!

I read this to my kids...and started crying 3 pages in. My oldest daughter took over for me and hearing her read this book to me...made me cry even more. I seriously started recording her reading it because I knew I wanted to remember that moment forever.
To say that Ruth Bader Ginsburg is my hero doesn't feel like I'm giving her enough credit. What do you feel for the person that fights battles so
Queen Cronut
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting picture book about Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG) and her fight against social inequality and prejudice. Although it doesn't go into great detail about RBG and her court cases, it definitely shows the mark she left on America and the addition of the author's note in the back was a nice bonus for extra information. Highly informative but very engaging with boldly colorful designs.
Emma
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another title that would fit this book perfectly: "nevertheless she persisted".

I loved everything about I dissent and I wish I could get a copy for all the kids I know!

Special mention for the artwork that made an already awesome book even better.
Mississippi Library Commission
Attention picture book biography fans! I Dissent is a must read for 2nd-5th graders. The book explores Ruth Bader Ginsburg's life and accomplishments in an easy-to-read style. Not only will kids learn a lot of synonyms for the word dissent, they'll also carry away the message that yes, their voice matters. Additional back matter rounds out the book perfectly.
Alexandra
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
this is a short picture book for kids all about the life of ruth bader ginsburg and how she came to be one of the 9 supreme court justices.

the illustrations are quite aesthetically pleasing and i'm sure lots of young girls will enjoy reading about how they can do anything they set their minds to etc etc

super feminist & girl power-y if you're into that sort of thing
Jillian Heise
Love, love, love!!! A fabulous picture book biography of RBG, with a great author's note at the end with additional biographical information. Great illustrations and a writing style that tells her life story highlighting the times in her life that things were unfair and she stood up against them. A must-have for any classroom.
Jackie
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this was so well-written that I had goosebumps and tears in my eyes as I finished reading this.
Richie Partington
Richie’s Picks: I DISSENT: RUTH BADER GINSBURG MAKES HER MARK by Debbie Levy and Elizabeth Badderley, ill., Simon and Schuster BFYR, September 2016, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-4814-6559-5

“Boys were expected to grow up, go out in the world, and do big things.
Girls? Girls were expected to find husbands.”

“For all the mothers fighting
For better days to come
And all my women, all my women sitting here trying
To come home before the sun
And all my sisters
Coming together
Say yes I will
Yes I can”
-- Alicia Keys, “Su
Memory Toast
A powerfully-written, picture-book biography. While I commend the author for her compelling prose and well-structured and justified main idea, I disagree (ironically) with the tone of the book. Having read two accounts of RBG in the court within the past year (Sisters in Law: How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World andMy Own Words) as well as having read and watched interviews with the justice, I don't think most of her legacy is about diss ...more
Maryc
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
The content was good regarding Justice G.'s life and accomplishments in the face of antisemitism and sexism; but the author started off with a really awkward couple of pages of "DISAPPROVED, DIFFERED, DISAGREED, OBJECTED, RESISTED, DISSENTED," etc. (yes in all caps) to tie in with the title. Then throughout the story, she forces these words in awkwardly, interrupting the flow. It is a picture book for young children, and I didn't love the cartoonish illustrations either. At the end, (for the adu ...more
Ms. Yingling
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Definitely purchasing this one, since it was everything I am looking for in a picture book. Nice introduction to a fascinating character that students need to know about. Lots of facts about her life AND the times in which she has lived, and there is a more informative section at the back covering additional information. This might take some hand selling, though, because of the somewhat forbidding picture on the cover, but I'm excited to get this one to older students who equate picture books wi ...more
Jackie Ostrowicki
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eva-and-me
Great mix of illustrations, typography/hand lettering and text showing how Ginsburg grew up and pushed the limits to become who she is today. Perfect book for a "strong girl" library.

Critic's review say:

"This bio of Justice Ginsburg is supremely inspiring, breaking down complicated ideas about the constitution, legal system, and issues of equality for young readers while celebrating Ginsburg's life."
Jan Carr, Common Sense Media

"There’s a new strong-willed young heroine in the world of children
Allison
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed the message about just because you do disagree with someone, doesn't mean you can't be friends. Fantastic biography!
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
Loved reading this one with my little one. Very powerful. Notorious RBG is exactly the kind of role model little girls need.
Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I admire RBG anyway but o loved this book because the author explained court, law, judges, etc in a great way. These topics were explained in a way that was not too hard nor too simplistic. I think my 4th and 5th graders will love it, even if they don’t know who she is (yet).
Jill
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author begins her story by showing, on one side of the 2-page spread, the future Supreme Court Justice, born in 1933, as a disputatious young girl. On the other, we see her as a much older disputatious justice. She writes:

“You could say that Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s life has been . . . one disagreement after another.

This is how Ruth Bader Ginsburg changed her life - and ours.”

She then takes us through Ruth’s childhood in Brooklyn, New York, in a neighborhood full of immigrants, who, while diff
Sunday
Gold winner of the CA Reading Association's 2016 Eureka! Award. Oh, the vocabulary students will learn from this book while also learning about an influential Supreme Court Justice!!! Even as a small child Ruther Bader Ginsburg DISAGREED, DISSENTED, PROTESTED, OBJECTED, DISAPPROVED, RESISTED, DID NOT CONCUR and PERSISTED. She was also DETERMINED to rise up in a male-dominated profession and make a difference in the lives of everyday Americans. Lots of room for discussion about how Ginsburg has s ...more
Samantha
An introduction to the life and work of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The writing is perfectly suited to its child audience and does a great job of using Ginsburg's formative influences to show how well suited she is to her job and how she forms the basis for her difficult decisions.

I really liked how the legal terminology is emphasized in text and artwork; it sets just the right tone for this story and also teaches some vocabulary along the way. I think the information presented i

• Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change
  • The Greatest Power
  • Ada's Violin: The Story of the Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay
  • She Persisted: 13 American Women Who Changed the World
  • The Next President: The Unexpected Beginnings and Unwritten Future of America’s Presidents
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality
  • Funny Bones: Posada and His Day of the Dead Calaveras
  • Miss Mary Reporting: The True Story of Sportswriter Mary Garber
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • Your Name Is a Song
  • The Youngest Marcher: The Story of Audrey Faye Hendricks, a Young Civil Rights Activist
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • Rosa