Start by marking “Tag, You're Dead” as Want to Read:
Tag, You're Dead

Tag, You're Dead

Six young people play a dangerous Game of Tag in public, chasing through the crowds, streets, and buildings of Chicago. This secret, one-of-a-kind, wildly expensive Game offers a macabre twist to the childhood version...if you get Tagged, you get Dead.

Three "Its" have their reasons for buying a place in the Game. Surgically enhanced Brandy is obsessed with destroying a nat
Published July 5th 2016 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Tag, You're Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tag, You're Dead

Start your review of Tag, You're Dead
Veronica ⭐️

Three young, rich, spoilt teens pay their way into a deadly game of tag. They are It.
They have chosen Runners. People they despise for no other reason than they are prettier, smarter or more talented than them. The Runners have no choice in the game. They must run or be killed. But they each have their own skills that will come to the fore in this deadly game.

I loved this Young Adult suspense thriller. It was easy to read, the language was age appropriate, the characters were well devel
Trudy Budzinski
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book free through NetGalley.

Wow....Just wow. I haven't gotten any work done since the day I opened this book!!!!! This book has great flow. I love a book that doesn't skip around and just goes from A-Z., TAG, YOU'RE DEAD did just that!!!!! It has a few main characters, but it is written so well that you know exactly who you are reading about. It just keeps you hooked all the way to the end. If the Hunger Games and The Purge had a baby, it would be TAG, YOU'RE DEAD. The suspense
Raven and Beez
[Note: Thanks to the author, I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.]

This young adult thriller was an interesting read. It’s basically about a game of tag where if you happen to be the unfortunate person who is tagged, you’ll end up dead. Yep, just a tiny upgrade to a classic game.

There are a lot of characters in this book. On on hand we’ve got the rich brat Brandy, the untalented basketball player/rich brat Robert and the genius and rich Charles, these three ar
Meredith Tate
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

Backstory: I've been stalking the publication progress of this book since I first read the pitch for it in a writing contest a couple years ago. Yes, I'm pretty shameless when it comes to books. So I was so excited when, after years of wanting to read it, I saw it available on NG to request! But with all that built up waiting, that always comes with an upcoming release I want to read, comes some pretty hefty e
Michelle Hauck
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Tag, You're Dead is a fast-moving thriller with a big cast of teen-age characters. Three Its have paid for a game of lifetime to chase human prey to a home base in Chicago. Two paid for the elite package to tag their victims dead if they can get within 20 yards before reaching safety. The victims Amanda, Laura, and Tyrese all start out in the dark about what is happening, dragged from their lives by the rich Its out for excitement or revenge.

The game never slows down from there as the frightened
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tag, You’re Dead has a very interesting premise, reminiscent of The Hunger Games but using modern technology, it’s a rip-roaring read. I was so surprised, and drawn in so completely that I started and finished it in one day!

This book was brilliantly written, with some extremely interesting characters. What struck me about Tag, You’re Dead is that while it may NEVER actually happen, it is something that could happen, in that it is delivered in a plausible way.

The characters that are thrown into t
Ann Parker
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book... It's one of those YA that works for adults as well. Would love to read more in this series (assuming it is a series)...
Gina
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Tag, was a game that the teenagers played that you sign up for online. There were several packages to choose from when signing up. One package resulted in death. The ones that initiated the game are called Its and the Runners are being chased. A message is sent to the Runners saying that have to participate in the game. If the Runners are caught they lose, if the Runners win the Its are chased. It's a deadly game of cat and mouse where the runners are in fear of their lives. 6 young people are p ...more
Rebecca
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed on Becca's Books.

First of all, I'd like to thank the author J.C.Lane for getting in contact with me in regards to reading and reviewing Tag, You're Dead. I absolutely loved the premise of this book. It sounded exciting, fresh and not forgetting incredibly creative. I'm certain I haven't read a book quite like this one before and I couldn't wait to see what was in store for me. I loved the look of the cover and the blurb had me wondering how, exactly, the author would deliver
Karsyn
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received from NetGalley for my honest review.

A game of tag being played throughout Chicago. I LOVED this book! It was my kind of book, a game being played out with deadly consequences! It was very fast paced and kept me interested from start to finish. I disliked the players I was supposed to dislike, rooted for the players I was supposed to root for and wasn't sure about a few! I loved the personalities of all of them, they were so different and played the game differently.

The way the book was
Melanie
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgallery
Tag, You're Dead is a solid YA Mystery. It reminded me of the idea of the Running Man but with kids and of course its a slightly more serious game of Tag. What I enjoyed about this book was everyone was different, both the Tager and the Tagee (Is that even a thing?). Yes there were characters I disliked, but being told from different points of view helped me get a better insight into the story and their lives.

From the get go this book is full on action, I liked that it kept me interested and I c
Cathy Cole
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
J.C. Lane (AKA Judy Clemens) has written a fast-paced thriller with fascinating technology and appealing characters. It's easy to take sides here. Beautiful girl-next-door Laura, talented athlete Tyrese, and gamer extraordinaire Amanda are being chased by three spoiled brats who don't like being bested by anyone-- especially if they're not a part of the proper social class.

What really takes center stage in Tag, You're Dead is how Laura, Tyrese, and Amanda can possibly win the game with the deck
Heidi | Paper Safari Book Blog
Twisted game of tag for the rich and bored. Two pissed off entitled brats try to get their revenge on the people they think are holding them down. Another is just bored and looking for a challenge. So what do the rich and morally damaged people in this book do? They turn to a twisted genius who has created a game of tag so that people like them can get their revenge or die trying. In this game of tag either the target dies or "it" goes to prison. Its a fun, story with characters you can't help b ...more
Notthatcatwoman
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Copy received from NetGalley in exchange for honest review
I had high expectations from this book and they weren't met.
I know this was suppose to be a serious thriller about a game of life or death, but to me it just felt like a bunch of teenagers running around a city.
No offense to the author but it felt like they tried to achieve something intense, high-action, edge of your seat and mind-bending, but they missed the mark so much it felt like a dumbed down YA version.
Akahayla
This was a really good Young Adult thriller novel. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The best thing about this book is that it's a super fast read. Usually thrillers aren't like that and so by the time I reach the end I get frustrated.
Heather McDonald
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You can seen my review at www.readinglark.blogspot.com on 22 June 2016 ...more
Karen
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-copy
This is one of the first young adult mysteries I have read. It disappointed in several ways.

Although it is a murder mystery, the murder takes place at the end of the book. I thought we would never get there.

There is a constant change of POV throughout, sometimes the page is only a few sentences. Head spinning.

While the premise is interesting, it reads like a film script.

It took me a long while to get caught up in the "thriller" aspects. I was so distracted by the nasty characters.

I read a librar
Dane Divine
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, with lots of teeny chapters which made it really hard to find a moment to put down. I read it on the way to work and as soon as I got home.
Great characters. Brutal game. I felt so sorry for one of the characters, but I won't spoil it by saying which one.

Hetro/lovely-dovey ending, but that just seems to be one of the unfortunate norms in the genre, not really a criticism of this book. It'd just be nice if sometimes it ended a bit differently. (I could write this paragraph on the end o
Yoony
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Tag, You're Dead" is a thrilling multi perspective book based on today's setting.
This is such a great book since we are all able to relate to it (teens).
It starts off calm, then the ITS choose the runners and things turn into a chilling run away plot.
The end will leave you with goosebumps, and it's as unpredictable as the Hunger Games.
Get this book now and fall into the crowded and dangerous streets playing Tag.
Ashley
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being someone who picks books based on odd or entertaining titles or cover art that catches my eye, this book was a must read. Tag you’re dead?! Come on! Can you say awesome. Now would I want to play a deadly game of Tag myself? Probably not. But this book makes you feel like you’re playing along with the spoiled and selfish Its and the confused but clever Runners. It’s a quick read but doesn’t skip a beat. It hits the ground running and I enjoyed it from start to finish.
Krass
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original and varied fiction..I really very like.
Henry Windish
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite YA thrillers. The 6 main characters felt fleshed out and there reasons for playing (or not playing) the game fit. The whole idea of "the game" existing is so absurd that it works and the idea of it actually existing seems oddly plausible. I wish that we learned more about the referee and his life and such. The idea of kid controlling this all is strangely profound. I found that there were definitely charcaters that I liked more than others and the perspective would cha ...more
Sean Franco-Norris
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was provided by Poisoned Pen Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I gave this book a 3.5 out of 5 star rounding up to 4 stars.

The title was what got me really curious what the book was all about. The title was perfect for this novel as well. The opening was really great and I just didn't want to stop. I was a bit frustrated, though. There were a lot of POV changing and every time I was emotionally connected to a character, the POV had been changed. That was one of
Dani
Wham-bam. This book was so insanely good.

At first, I thought it would be a black-market type of game that could be played by any willing to pay, but when the story started, some rich bitchacho was paying for the game WITH HER PARENTS. She and her folks were discussing the game and payments, and my mind was like WHAT THE HECK. Who pays for their child to try and kill a person!?

While it was still so very wrong, I had the tiniest bit of compassion for Robert. With the pressure and lack of encourag
Natalie
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found at: http://foldedbetweenthepages.blogspot...

What happens when you mix smartphone technology with a deadly game of Tag? Well, you get J.C. Lane's Tag You're Dead. In this debut novel, Lane introduces six teenagers: three Its and three runners. The Its have paid good money to chase...and kill... their runners, but if the runner gets to Home Base first, the game is reversed and It is in danger. Welcome to the Game.

Upon reading the synopsis for this novel, one might wo
Miriam
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, thriller
This game of "Tag, you're it!" has a evil side. When three teens contract with "The Referee" to chase three others of their choosing, the game gets ugly, especially when lives are at stake.

While the tension is real, and you'll get wrapped up in the action, there's a sense of horror at the nasty things people who have too much money can do to those who don't.

You'll be reminded of other books and stories, but as with most books, there's a twist at the end that will leave you stunned.

Look for a l
Georgiana Huizenga
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This young adult novel was a departure from what I usually read, but I found it fascinating. There are definitely similarities to "The Hunger Games" but instead of being set in a dystopian world it is set in the present day midwest. Much of the action takes place in Chicago. In some ways it reminded me a little bit of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" too. The characters are well drawn and the "runners" are sympathetic. Terrific read.
Amy Byers
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. I picked it up and had a hard time putting it down. Switching back and forth from the "Its" to the "Runners" kept me on the edge of my seat, until the very end. Best YA book I have read all year by far. The action of the Hunger Games with out the messy love story kept this book exciting from beginning to end, a must read!
Lance Wright
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-titles
This is a cleverly crafted novel of suspense based on the children's game of "tag", though this one has a deadly element to it. Briskly paced with well-drawn characters, both adults and young adults will enjoy the high intensity adventure these six teenagers are on. Highly recommended. Read our full review, here: http://www.mysteriousreviews.com/myst...
Robin Bennett
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend this for any YA fan who wants to read a book that dives into the plot from the first chapter. It genuinely is hard to put down - like Hunger Games in some respects but in the best tradition of a really good psychological thriller. Really good premise, you wonder why no-one thought of it before.

• What She Left
  • The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
  • Relentless (Tina Boyd #2)
  • Dreams from Bunker Hill (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #4)
  • The Plea (Eddie Flynn, #2)
  • Creep
  • A Happy Boy
  • Whispering Shadows
  • Highlander Untamed (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #1)
  • Rosshalde
  • Don't Breathe a Word
  • Say You're Sorry (Romantic Suspense, #22; Sacramento, #1)
  • Dehşet Gecesi
  • Senden Vazgeçmem
  • 25 Ağustos 1983 ve Diğer Öyküler
  • The Pastures of Heaven
  • Willnot
  • Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)