Start by marking “Spring: An Anthology for the Changing Seasons” as Want to Read:
Spring: An Anthology for the Changing Seasons

Spring: An Anthology for the Changing Seasons

(Seasons)

It is a time of awakening. In our fields, hedgerows and woodlands, our beaches, cities and parks, an almost imperceptible shift soon becomes a riot of sound and colour: winter ends, and life surges forth once more. Whether in town or country, we all share in this natural rhythm, in the joy and anticipation of the changing year.
In prose and poetry both old and new, Spring
Published February 18th 2016 by Elliott & Thompson

To ask other readers questions about Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spring

Start your review of Spring: An Anthology for the Changing Seasons
Amalia Gavea
It is Spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched courters - and rabbits wood limping invisible down to the shoe-black, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat- bobbing sea. The houses are blind as moles (though moles see fine tonight in the snowting, velvet dingles) or blind as Captain Cat there in the muffled middle by the pump and the town clock, the shops in mourning, the Welfare Hall in widows weeds. And all the people of the ...more
Jane
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I knew that spring was coming.

It isn't here yet. The weather is still cold grey and damp, but the evenings are getting lighter, I've seen other signs, and this lovely little book has me convinced.

It's a very lovely object: a pretty cover encases a sturdy little paperback, full of words printed on cream paper, and wrapped in a matching dust jacket.

And, as you may have guessed from the title, there will be another three volumes coming to join it over the course of the coming year.

I loved the idea
Rebecca
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although this was the first of the Wildlife Trusts anthologies published in 2016, I got a late start last year so am reading this as the final of four. In common with the other volumes, its a terrific mix of contemporary and historical writing, big names and newcomers, observation and reflection. Compared with the other books, it seems to have more about WT sites in particular, with a few pieces from current volunteers or former employees. I also noticed that theres a bit more of a focus on ...more
Paul
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spring is that time of year where we shrug off the dark nights and sullen weather and celebrate the light and the warmth of the sun as it floods through the gothic formwork of trees. Plants are waking up too, buds swell and then burst with fresh green leaves, the wanderers return from afar and there is the frantic race to find a mate. Those that have spent the winter gestating, are born, bring new life into the world. It is the season where change is most noticeable and for a lot of people most ...more
Kirsty
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2017, borrowed
As well as extracts from longer works, and the odd poem, there are quite a few original essays from different contributors strewn throughout Spring: An Anthology for the Changing Seasons. It is rather varied in terms of its range, and there were many pieces within, both old and new, which I very much enjoyed. Spring has been nicely curated, and feels like a fitting beginning to Harrison's quartet which revolves around the seasons. Spring is undoubtedly a charming and vibrant celebration of ...more
John
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A rather self indulgent read as I love this time of the year. This anthology has helped me to love it a little bit more. I'm looking out for additional signs of Spring, courtesy of this. I'm paying more attention to the tree buds, looking out for Spring visitors to the garden the birds returning from wintering abroad. Thomas Furley Forster's notes (1827) of when to expect them by specific dates are fascinating and fun. Gilbert White's recordings of his Spring moments, including the date his ...more
Mark Avery
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of writings about spring what could be nicer?

This book is one of four on the seasons. Are there really four seasons, I wonder? Im not totally sure that summer exists doesnt spring (March-June) just fade into autumn (July- December) and then there is a bit of winter (January and February), with some leeway at each transition and false starts, false finishes and just odd weather? But I do believe in spring and spring is wonderful.

In this book, published enterprisingly by The
T.E. Shepherd
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The calendar year may start in January in the depths of winter but for most, the year begins with Spring. This is the first in Melissa Harrison's stand-out series of anthologies based around the four seasons. I started reading it with the seasons, having started with Autumn which was outstanding. This one doesn't quite reach that level of perfection.

Like the other volumes in the series, Spring is a miscellany of poetry, prose, and nature writing by both contemporary and past authors. The format
Michelle Ryles
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
The cover of this book is absolutely striking in vibrant tones of green, perfectly evoking thoughts of spring, and I couldn't wait to look inside. It is so full of life with the tweeting of birds, gambolling of lambs, slithering of snakes and not forgetting the escapades of Timothy the tortoise. As the season unfurls throughout each page it epitomises the season of spring with the joy and hope of new beginnings.

There are excerpts from the classics interspersed with modern writing from
lauren
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nature-writing
Between a 2.5 to 3 stars.

It is more and more important today that we engage with nature physically, intellectually and emotionally, rather than allow ourselves to disconnect; that we witness rather than turn away, and celebrate rather than neglect.

Unfortunately this wasn't my favourite of the collection. I really enjoyed Autumn and Winter (probably because they're my favourite seasons, and the things discussed in those collections I could understand and appreciat), but Spring was a little
Lorraine Greenwood
Brilliant

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all these different views of the spring season from so many wonderful nature writers. Would recommend this to anyone interested in the changing seasons.
Helen
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Beautiful crafted prose and poems but ultimately not an enthralling read.
Kylie Norman
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some beautiful spring-time vignettes in here - the old and the modern submissions by writers in 2016. Beautiful! You just slip into spring with this.
Donna Boultwood
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have thoroughly enjoyed this series of books. I can see myself dipping in and out of them in years to come. A window into British nature and countryside.
Claire O'Sullivan
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
A lovely little book of snippets . Eclectic writing around nature. Read in the Scottish Highlands which undoubtedly enhanced my reading experience.
Lisa Bergin
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Like the winter book I wished there had been a little more poetry, but there were some interesting pieces in this book
Simon
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super collection of poems, notes, short pieces from naturalists and enthusiastic amateur nature writers.
As one would expect with a collection, some were wonderful, others a little dull.
Geraldine
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's unusual for me to read an 'anthology', because the word hints at poetry, and I'm not entirely comfortable with poetry in general.

This is one of four books, the other three yet to be published (you'll never guess what the other three are). I received it in late February and calculated that as there were about 60 articles, if I read about one a day that would take me through into mid-April.

This was an accidentally brilliant tactic of mine. The articles are actually grouped in a broadly
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: nature, non-fiction
Pretty good. Some of the passages were absolutely wonderful - the excerpt from "The Wind in the Willows", for example - and others were well-meaning but tedious garden rhapsodies. Spring is now Summer, and I didn't quite finish the book. Marking it as read, and will return to finish up and then re-read the good bits next Spring.

UPDATE: I finished this book the following Spring, as intended, and my previous impression still holds true.
Charlotte

• Fingers in the Sparkle Jar: A Memoir
  • The Wild Remedy: How Nature Mends Us - A Diary
  • The Lost Words
  • Foxes Unearthed: A Story of Love and Loathing in Modern Britain
  • Falls the Shadow  (Welsh Princes, #2)
  • The Travelling Bag (Kindle Single)
  • Nick Baker's Bug Book: Discover the World of Mini-Beasts!
  • This Green and Pleasant Land
  • Bird Therapy
  • How To Be Right… in a World Gone Wrong
  • Chris Packham's Back Garden Nature Reserve
  • Coastlines: The Story of Our Shore
  • Bright Young Things
  • Hunting the Hunters: At War with the Whaler
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • Faith
  • Voices in the Ocean: A Journey into the Wild and Haunting World of Dolphins
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
Melissa Harrison is the author of the novels Clay and At Hawthorn Time, which was shortlisted for the Costa Novel Award and longlisted for the Bailey's Women's Prize, and one work of non-fiction, Rain, which was longlisted forthe Wainwright Prize. She is a nature writer, critic and columnist for The Times, the Financial Times and the Guardian, among others. Her new novel All Among the Barley is ...more

Seasons (4 books)