Start by marking “The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)

The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer #3)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,453 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In the tiny African nation of Eritrea, the American spy satellite Medusa has crashed but not before its sensors revealed an underground kimberlite pipeline, the telltale sign of a huge load of diamonds. The mine turns out to be King Solomon's Lost Mine, but with it is a tale of heartbreak---it was children who worked and died in the mine for 400 years, leading to many loca ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about The Medusa Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Medusa Stone

Sazid Shahriar
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
একদল খুজে কিমবারলাইট পাইপ,
আরেকদল খুজে সলোমনের খনি :3
Liked the book.
But liked the beginning most 💙
Michael
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book. The characters were shallow with little to no redeeming moral virtue. Most of the book focused on middle eastern politics and terrorist groups, which might be good if that is your topic of interest, but this was not the book I was hoping it would be.
Amanda
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Good adventure. Keeps you intrigued with a lot of action. Not necessarily believable, but that's not the point, right?!
Steven Allen
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Another great book in the Mercer series. Great action and suspense, with some great surprises and twists. Only thing that pisses me off is that Mercer comes off as a dick in the way that he treats women. He has these intense, brief affairs with a new woman each book, but then invariably Mercer leaves them for some new adventure. At least Mercer does not lie to the women, and they know going in that this will be a brief affair with no chance of permanence. Not sure how much of Mercer's woman issu ...more
Steve Rourk
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Very similar to a Clive Cussler novel, but with more geology. It trades some swashbuckling action for some cerebral exposition. There is plenty of action, though, particularly at the end.
Theresa
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These bad guys aren’t very smart. If they would just do some background research into Mercer’s history they would realize he’s not just a geologist and stop underestimating him. Just look at what he did in Hawaii and Alaska. Plus he was born in Africa. Hello! But to tell you the truth, I’m surprised at how well he does seeing how much he drinks. He’s an unashamed boozer.

I love Harry through this. The way he handled being kidnapped. I’m surprised they didn’t let him go.

Footnote: 1) Amazing that j
D.M. Dutcher
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
It starts out briskly, with an interesting premise. A spy satellite crashes to earth, but not before taking pictures of something in Eritea that a lot of people find interesting. A renowned geologist-adventurer soon finds himself in the thick of conspiracies trying to find what some believe to be a motherlode of diamonds, and other believe is much more.

Jack Du Brul knows how to get you hooked, but the book-killer is that the ending is incredibly weak. Not only is the secret a cliche, it's explai
Theresa
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I spent the entirety of this book trying to decide how many stars to give it; some times it is a two sometimes a 4. I wish more of the elements that made it a four were allowed to shine.

First of all I'm glad I read the reviews of the first two Mercer books so I was ready for Du Brul's obsession with rape. While no rape actually is described in this book, he drops the word or concept entirely too much.

Second the Valley of the Dead children-every time they started talking about that I wanted to th
Jack
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
this is the first of Jack DuBrul's solo novels that I've read (I've read several he co-authored with Clive Cussler and enjoyed them). I will be seeking his other solo efforts. This book centers on Philip Mercer, a geologist who has apparently had several other advetures (this is touted as his third). His best friend is kidnapped and he (Mercer) ends up being blackmailed into searching for a 'lost' diamond mine in Africa, aided by a mysterious African woman, he searches and finds the mine (which ...more
Jerome
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was an engrossing read. I hadn't realized that Jack Du Brul was such a good author in his own right. All I'd seen of him was the books he wrote with Clive Cussler for Cussler's "Oregon Files" series. I can see now why Cussler chose him. What kept this from a 5-star rating, were the noticeable occurences when he became repetitive, either in the characters' speech, or in descriptions, and what really did him no favors for me was the five times he call Marines, "soldiers". Overall, though ...more
Judy
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
After the previous book I read (dull, dry) I wanted to read something packed with action and adventure and this book delivered. It was very macho with all manner of death, gunfire, explosions, and testosterone filled adventure. Some of it was ridiculously preposterous and that made me sad; sad that it was in this otherwise good book and sad that I couldn't just look past it in this work of fiction.
Nigel
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Jack du Brul, but have read all the co authors he has done with Clive Cussler. I have to say I really enjoyed it great knowledge of the subject by the author and really well put together story strong characters. You can really see his influence in the style of the books he has written with Cussler I will definitely be reading more, suppose I should start with the first one.
Faye Bierbower
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This is definitely guy fiction. Swimming with excessive violence and everything you've ever seen in a cliché adventure movie, there's plenty of thrills here. The main disappointment was the line of romance threaded through the story, to make it more easily digested, I suppose. Recommended for a little escape from the every-day.
Luann
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This book was about 200 pages too long. This guy got out of more dangerous situations in one story than Mitch Rapp gets out of in 3 Vince Flynn novels. It had the potential be be a good book - the story was certainly interesting enough, but it fell short due to a lack of substance in any of the characters and going on much longer than necessary.
Doubt I'd read another book by this author.
Michael Johnston
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not great literature, but not a bad tale as these go. My only complaint was that the main character didn't go more than 25 pages without being in a certain death situation. It really wasn't a mystery as much as it was a how can he survive story. It was worth the diversion it offered, but I wouldn't recommend it for those in need of an enthralling, edge of your seat thriller.
Joe Ganzi
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found Jack Du Brul after reading his collaborations with Clive Cussler. This is the first of his solo novels that I've read and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It has all the action of a Cussler/Dirk Pitt novel with a bit more edginess. Cussler is one of my favorite authors but the PG rated stories get old after a while.
Tim Buck
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
A great example of DuBrul's knack for exciting tales in exotic locales, with a decent bit of science and history as well. The Medusa Stone won't be a classic, but it is well worth reading for a bit of escapism.
Susan Freeman
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. love the character of Philip Mercer and the good writing of the author, the writing flowing, story engrossing, and fast paced throughout the book. Looking forward to reading the next Mercer story.
Mark
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ditto to all Mercer stories
Kerry
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Published in 2000. Pretty good action/adventure, plot and characters.
Sajeev
Sep 25, 2007 rated it did not like it
Implausible
Shaft
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it
He can be a little too much of a hero sometime too arrogant in his belief. I like Phil and his friends but I hope the next book changes things up a little.
Chris
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Another thrilling adventure, I have read these out of order but still really enjoy Mercer's adventures.
Kassie
Feb 27, 2016 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Matthew
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
pretty formulaic thriller.
David Reynolds
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I like Philip Mercer the more I read him.
Rose Najera
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
The sex scenes were inprobable.
Ruth
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Good. Death defying action. Similar to Cussler - I guess thats why they collaborate now.
Jason
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I like the characters, but sometimes the suspension of disbelief in this action venture stories exceeds it limits - doesn't mean I won't read book 4 in the future :-)
Shannon
Mar 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery/thriller fans
Shelves: loved
Read this one with popcorn - it made me squeal like a big screen action movie. This is action/adventure fiction at it's best.
  • Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files, #4)
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • Dourado (Dane Maddock #1)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
Jack DuBrul is a New York Times Best-Selling Author from Vermont who writes techno thrillers. Recently, he has been co-authoring "The Oregon Files" novels with Clive Cussler, taking over from Craig Dirgo with the third novel.
More about Jack Du Brul...

Philip Mercer (8 books)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • The Lightning Stones (Philip Mercer, #8)