Start by marking “Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)” as Want to Read:
Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)

Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones

(Skippyjon Jones)

Holy guacamole Skippyjon Jones is crazy-loco for dinosaurs The kitty boy enters (via his closet) the land of dinosaurs in search of the fabled "Skipposaurus." Instead he runs into his old "amigos, " the Chimichango gang. When a T-Mex threatens the pack, it's El Skippito, the great sword fighter, to the rescue. With yips and yowls, he drives the big baddie away, so all the ...more
Published October 18th 2007 by Dutton Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones

Carmen
Nov 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE ON EARTH
Recommended to Carmen by: A six-year-old
This news made the Chihuahuas go insane-o around the rim of the volcano, singing:

"Ding-a-ling, ding-a-long, ding-a-lito,
(clap clap)
You are such a silly Skippito,
(clap clap)
You know what dogs think:
If it's good it must stink!
Plus it's great for the old snifferito!"
(clap clap)

Sigh. I made a huge mistake in telling a soon-to-be six-year-old that I would read her a book. Any book she wanted. "What was the worst that could happen?" I innocently thought.

THIS. This book is the worst that could happen.
JSou
Dec 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-ya
Reading Bellsy's review* of another Skippyjon Jones book a couple weeks ago reminded me that I actually had one floating around the house somewhere that I'd never read. I think it was a dollar deal or in some other book bundle that I ordered from my son's Scholastic book order (man, I still love the shit out of those things), so I thought I'd give it a try and see if it would be just as bad. It was.

To be fair, I've never read any books in this series, but you would think that wouldn't be entirel
Rachel Holtzclaw
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i love skippyjon jones. i love dinosaurs. once again, everyone policing my goodreads goal, this is absolutely NOT cheating. thank u.
Kat
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic Plot: El Skippito Friskito wants to learn more about dinosaurs, so he heads into his closet to find his old buddies, Los Chimichangos and find some.

The formula for Skippyjon stories works incredibly well, and reading them out loud with my little guy is tremendous fun. Reading it aloud on the first attempt was a bit of a trick, as the Spanglish and fast pace sometimes create some serious tongue-twisters. The art seemed a bit less polished in this installment, but I've only ever read them vi
Kathryn
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the kitty boy
3.5 STARS. I didn't like this as much as the first Skippyjon Jones book--the story is all over the place, which is the point, I think, but I found it just a bit too odd. Perhaps because I was listening to the included CD as I read and my husband kept laughing from the other room and saying, "WHAT is THAT!?" ;-p Okay, I was laughing and thinking the same thing, though! ;-> At least it was hugely entertaining, though a few of the phrases were a bit odd and seemed sloppy rather than clever. I mu ...more
Caitlin
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything having to do with animals or dinosaurs and my son is all over it! This Skippy book is about both! He enjoyed singing and dancing to Skippito Bandito's songs and reading his adventures.
J-Lynn Van Pelt
Mar 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is part of the continuing Skippy series about the often in trouble kitty-boy. It has the conventions of the previous books--Skippy's random songs, a song by the chihuahuas, and English words with -ito added on to the end to make them sound Spanish wit a few real Spanih words thrown in (see my concerns about lingualism in my review of the first book in the series).

In this installment, Skippyjon Jones goes back in time to see the dinosaurs and tangles with a mean bull dog. The bright waterco
Philip
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Why would I give this song 5 stars? Especially if Jsou's review gave it 1 star?

It was the hype.

I've had this book on hold at the library since December 23, 2010. It had pages missing... I kept waiting and waiting... I waited so long the hold expired.

I just wanted to read that line, "he popped a pickle in his puss." ...no it didn't make any sense...

It lived up to all the hype in Jsou's review. All that hype and more.

Plus, another goodread friend, J-Lynn Van Pelt gave it 3 stars... so now we have
Tammy
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads, children
Everyone knows that Skippyjon Jones is crazy-loco for dinosaurs. He enters dinosaurland (via his closet again) in search of the fabled Skipposaurus. When a T-Mex threatens his doggy gang, the Los Chimichangos a/k/a "the dino dudes", it's El Skippito to the rescue! Cute book. Lots of fun rhymes and silly words. Even better if you can get your hands on the CD!
Summer
Loved this! We read it last night to Grayson & he watched Mike VERY intently when he read it. I giggled all the way through.
Emma
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best children's books ever because it is hilarious! If you haven't read this, and you like to laugh then you need to get your hands on a copy ASAP!
Amy
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Best Skippyjon Jones ever!! Absolutely hilarious.
Meg McGregor
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series-i-love
This little kitty has crawled right into my heart and has a permanent resting place there. I love Skippyjon!

The illustrations are wry and whimsical, the text poetic and lively, and it just makes me happy reading this to my little ones!

Skippy is a Siamese Cat who thinks he is a mighty chihuahua. His imagination has no limits and he is just the cutest little thing.

I especially am happy that little ones, who hear this, will be given an introduction to Spanish, in a very pleasing and memorable way!
Isabella Santana
Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones is the best book ever! This book is so good because it has a cute kitty, awesome puppies, and BIG dinosaurs. It has a huge T-Rex! Skippyjon imagines that he is a great sword fighter and adventurer. And his imaginings takes him to his pals, the Chihuahuas. Together, Skippyjon and his chihuahua pals come upon dancing dinos! It is hilarious. Dinosaurs can't dance! But, through Skippyjon's bravery and his loud bark, he scares the dinos into extinction and saves his ...more
Christin Hackman
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, children
Recommended to Christin by: Book I read to my cousin
Awards: #1 New York Times bestselling Skippyjon Jones series
Genre: Fiction, picture book
Age level: PreK- 2

Skippyjon Jones is a siamese cat with oversized ears who thinks he's actually El Skippito Friskito, a crime fighting warrior chihuahua. The book is about his adventure with dinosaurs. I love this book and actually have read it to family members and my students. I think it's a very creative story series. Kids love books that are exciting and fun.
Brooklyn
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
This book was probably my kindergartener's favorite out of the series. They are obsessed with dinosaurs, and love the Skippyjon Jones books! We did some call and response throughout the book, which they loved because they got to interact and "read" the book as well. Example: I'd say "boom boom" and they'd respond with "boom boom."
Milton Public
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
These books are all kind of crazy loco, and so they all have a tension between fun-weird and just weird. This one is comfortably fun and involves a dinosaur song and dance routine that may become part of your small children's joke routine.
Erin Craig
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
While I enjoyed the illustrations, I did not enjoy the story. I found it hard to understand.
Alistair Parker
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like fossils my favorite dinosaur in this book is a t.rex
Meredith Estes
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The first one is still the best. This one was enjoyable but some of the rhymes felt a little clunky. The pictures are still fun and my girls liked it.
Angela
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can only read these out loud to people. They are so much more fun when they are read out loud!
Emily Love
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good one! The addition of the neighbor dog is very cute.
Matt
May 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book sucked and the “Latino” accent was unnecessary and pointless.
Desi
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-reads
A small anecdote: my dad really did NOT like reading this book to JP. He just did not understand why it had to be such a mouthful!
Laurie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Evan
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
In this 4th installment of the beloved 'Skippyjon Jones' series by author/illustrator Judy Schachner, el Skippito finds himself once again making mischief in Mrs. Dolly Doohiggy's yard, this time digging up her dog Darwin's bones to glue them to his cat doll to create his 'Skipposaurus!'

When Mama Junebug Jones (who in this installment calls her little one Pickle Pants & Sugar Beet) orders him to return the neighbor's property, he instead goes on a journey through the imagination portal that
Andrea
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on my book review blog, The Overstuffed Bookcase. It was reviewed for a feature called Kiddo's Corner Reviews, where my 6-year-old son reviews books.

First Thoughts...

We read the book together.

Kiddo: "I like his bed."

Me: "So what is this book about?"

Kiddo: "It's about Skippyjon Jones digging with his bones, because he wants bones, because he needs bones. And he plays with dinosaurs because he likes dinosaurs."

A Bit More Detail...

Me: "What's your favorite part?"
Shawn Deal
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Skippyjon Jones is a very clever cat with a huge imagination. Often it thinks of itself as a dog, because seemingly dogs are free to have more fun. Wonderfully illustrated and with a good smattering of Spanish words, this is a fun book series. In this book, Skippyjon has come up with a bone from a dog and his imagination is launched in a tale about dinosaurs.
Liza
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Schachner, J. (2007). Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones. Dutton Children’s Books.
Gr. K-3. Skippyjon Jones is off to another adventure to find a Skipposaurus! As he enters the world of the dinosaurs through his closet, he meets his friends the Chimichangos and saves them from the T-Mex.
Curriculum: Most little kids like dinosaurs, so this would be a good book to use in conjunction with the study of dinosaurs and fossils, and what a paleontologist does. Kids could even create their own dinosaurs a
Hope L. Justice
I find it hard to read some comments, especially those that assume books are racist because they use common themes (stereotypes) and idiosyncrasies of another culture; however, this is offensive. If it was just spanish, and not spanglish for the sake of rhyming (I'd be fine with spanglish if they were commonly used words!). I have no problem with Chuahahas, it is a Mexican breed dog. Just because Taco Bell uses it, doesn't make it racist to say a Chuahaha is a Mexican dog. That would be like bei ...more
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • Pickles to Pittsburgh
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • Kat Kong
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble At the Yard Sale
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • A Day with No Crayons
  • Groundhog Gets a Say
  • The Big Elephant in the Room
  • Chicks and Salsa
  • I Broke My Trunk! (Elephant & Piggie, #14)
  • Benny and Penny in Just Pretend
  • Tacky in Trouble
"I was the last child and only daughter born to Edward and Mary Francis Byron on August 20th, 1951 in the city of Waltham, Massachusetts. My oldest brother Ted was very good at art and my middle brother Kevin kept me laughing with his funny stories.

Growing up we didn't have much money. My mother was very ill, and to make matters worse, I was extremely shy. All my teachers complained that "Judith n

Skippyjon Jones (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Skippyjon Jones
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble (Skippyjon Jones, #3)
  • Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice (Skippyjon Jones, #5)
  • Skippyjon Jones, Class Action