Start by marking “The Utility of Boredom” as Want to Read:
The Utility of Boredom

The Utility of Boredom

A collection of essays for ardent seamheads and casual baseball fans alike, The Utility of Boredom is a book about finding respite and comfort in the order, traditions, and rituals of baseball. It's a sport that shows us what a human being might be capable of, with extreme dedication--whether we're eating hot dogs in the stands, waiting out a rain delay in our living rooms ...more
Published April 2nd 2016 by Invisible Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Utility of Boredom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Utility of Boredom

Leesa
Apr 05, 2016 added it
Shelves: blurbed
BLURBED IT/LOVED IT: "Baseball is a welcome obsession of mine, a comfort. Reading The Utility of Boredom by Andrew Forbes fed that obsession beautifully, warmly. It glows. He writes of baseball as sanctuary, baseball in both general terms and specifics—from the feeling of walking into a ballpark on a summer day to Vin Scully’s perfect description of a cloud. He invites us to get on our tiptoes and peek over the fence, smell the grass, hear the crack of the bat. He respects the slow-glory of the ...more
Clare
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This collection is uneven, as many are, but the parts I liked I liked a lot. Great writing, and especially the essays on the Blue Jays of 1992 WS and last year's run appealed to me on an emotional level.
Natalie
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Excellent! Proper review to come, Craig.
Ian
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended if you enjoy your sports writing a little more poetic and philosophical.
Gregory
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
There isn't a bad essay in here.

There is a lot of charm, nostalgia and love in here. There is a lot for readers who don't watch baseball, there is a lot for readers who love baseball. We get to see a profile/love-letter to Ichiro, a father/daughter relationship and how it's maneuvering a love of baseball, and we also get to see a collective sense of loss within a Peterborough, Ontario bar as the Toronto Blue Jays are eliminated from post-season play. This is less about baseball and more about th
Neil Gaudet
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sure this is a book for baseball fans. And a rare one that isn't all about a single team or player. But it's also a well written masterpiece of literature. Small things like Marco Scuturo's foul ball become interesting. I enjoyed this book cover to cover. It was sadly too short. An instant baseball classic.
A.J.B. Johnston
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm no longer a passionate baseball fan—not since I was a kid—but I found this little book to be a terrific and thoughtful read. Thanks to my son, Colin, for suggesting it. The writing is clever and amusing, and sometimes poignant. Yes, it's about baseball, but it's also about the human condition. Kudos to author Andrew Forbes and the publishers.
Mylène
J'hésite entre donner 3 ou 4 étoiles... J'ai bien aimé les textes, mais j'ai trouvé le recueil en général assez répétitif. Les premiers textes étaient prometteurs, mais j'ai rapidement trouvé ma lecture redondante... Cela dit, l'écriture d'Andrew Forbes coule très bien. J'ai beaucoup aimé son style!
Marisa Carpico
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The sentiments here can get a little repetitive by the end, but this is a fantastic collection for baseball fans and non-fans alike. Beautiful prose throughout and a really sincere depth of feeling. Love that Forbes approaches the subject from so many angles and talks about the glory and pain of fandom as much as the sport itself. Will definitely be giving this to a few people for Xmas.
Darrin Davis
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Knocks it out of the park. :) Absolutely loved this book. Brought back so many sweet childhood memories. Excellent read.
René Paquin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courts textes sur le baseballl écrits par un passionné!
José Pedraza
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Una joyita que habla de baseball y la vida. Vale la pena si te gusta el baseball.
The Master
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Boring.
G-E
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un excellent livre, presque poétique, qui met en lumière toute la beauté de ce sport.
Marc
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Leave it up to a Canadian to publish a book that catches baseball in all its sadness and melancholy
Lance
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball, blog, history
No matter the genre or topic, a book that is a collection of essays or short stories will usually be a mixed bag with some good ones, some not-so-good ones and some that are so-so. That is not the case with this collection of baseball essays penned by Andrew Forbes. Each story is one that Forbes writes from the heart and expresses his love for the game of baseball and his favorite team, the Toronto Blue Jays.

Of the essays that talk mostly about the game on the field, his love of the Blue Jays sh
Jesse
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
A person i trust and admire once told me that even though I don't care very much about most sports, sports-WRITING should still be interesting to me, because it deals with all the aspects of great literature: fascinating characters, intriguing conflict, and universal truths. Forbes goes above and beyond delivering on all of these, presenting baseball--a sport I do actually love--as an existential project and baseball fandom as a phenomenological experience. This is a beautifully thoughtful and r ...more
Alex Abboud
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read for baseball fans. This collections of essays shares the author's personal experiences with the game, and how baseball has shaped his life. There is much I could relate to in the book; the author is about 5 years older than me, so I recalled many of the players from his youth he writes about. It felt like a light read at times, but I enjoyed many of the stories contained within.
David Leach
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Superb short collection of personal essays on baseball as a sport and as metaphor for pretty much everything.
Frederic Lajeunesse
Apr 19, 2016
Tim Hamilton
May 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Forbes's first book, the story collection What You Need, was shortlisted for the Danuta Gleed Literary Award, and named a finalist for the Trillium Book Prize. He is also the author of The Utility of Boredom: Baseball Essays, and the forthcoming Lands and Forests (April, 2019). Forbes lives in Peterborough, Ontario.