Start by marking “Rich and Poor” as Want to Read:
Rich and Poor

Rich and Poor

Who hasn't, at one time or another, considered killing a billionaire?

Following on the critical success of his novel Polyamorous Love Song (BookThug, 2014; finalist for the Fence Modern Prize in Prose and one of The Globe and Mail's 100 best books of 2014), Canadian writer and performer Jacob Wren picks up the mantle of the politically and economically disenfranchised in Ri
Published April 13th 2016 by Book Thug

To ask other readers questions about Rich and Poor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rich and Poor

Start your review of Rich and Poor
Richard Derus
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.75* of five

"If you are a billionaire it is because you have done evil in the world." It's so simple, isn't it, when reduced to those terms...seems like a self-evident truth, now doesn't it? By the end of this novel, I wasn't at all sure of that.

My 4-plus star review is live at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Jacob Wren
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

A fable of not knowing how to change the world and perhaps learning how to do so in the process.

"Rich and Poor is art in resistance, a work that dares to remind us of our capacity for revolutionary love..."
- Jade Colbert in The Globe and Mail http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/b...

"Like Wren’s other work, this book is essentially not so much a call to action as a call for the reader to step away from apathy and to take seriously, however briefly, the most radical of positions."
- J. C. Sutclif
Tom Thor Buchanan
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Made me want to burn things complicatedly to the ground.
Ana
Class-war as seen through the eyes of the billionaire and the poor would-be assassin. I don't generally like switching POV's or first person narration, but they are so well done he so I highly recommend this book.
Dylan Jones
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jacob Wren always seems to write from a feeling of political malaise, but in that feeling he’s able to find so much beauty and possibility. You’re left feeling that everything is still possible.
GP
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
just received a text that says ‘Rich and Poor slaps’
Nom Chompsky
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-ish, can-lit
I like Jacob Wren’s writing. This is the second book I’ve read by him, the other being Polyamorous Love Song—which could very well be my favourite “novel,” or was certainly my favourite at one time.

Rich&Poor is a bit odd. It’s theatrical, in a way, with these extended monologues, but it’s very grounded, doesn’t need that liveness to come alive that much theatre requires. I actually listened to this as an audiobook, so, I was somewhere in between a reading and a performance, but Wren’s voice (whi
Jiny S
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really, really like the premise of this book: an unapologizing, self-made billionaire and the obsessed ex-pianist attempting his assassination. The first part of the story is so alluring that I could not put the book down. There were some things that happened a bit too fast, which is not necessarily a fault. It was an enjoyable read, and the only complaints that I have are that it was too short and finished too abruptly.
John Machata
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Sometimes, oftentimes fiction is more poignant than non-fiction.
Grady
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
‘There are no individual solutions to collective problems’

Montreal based performance artist and writer Jacob Wren writes and thinks and expresses and challenges so well that he is an artist that simply cannot be ignored: he should be on everybody’s mind right now – in the post election mind-bending chaos of attempting to adjust to the concept of the ascendency of the very questionably qualified President elect. Jacob has seen this situation in his other books.

To get the gut level message of his
Jen
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this book. It read quickly, because of the way it's written: the story is not "fleshed out" into scenes but rather described, somewhat secondhandedly, by the two main characters. Nonetheless, it is in first person, so one gets quite a close look into the minds of both rich CEO and humble worker. The development was well-paced, and the ending felt quite satisfying.

I only left off one star because at times, the particular structure of this book left me wishing that there were
David
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book followed me around all day.
Reid
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything I liked about Polyamorous Love Song, minus some of the things I didn't.
YlangYlang

• Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • The Imperfect Disciple: Grace for People Who Can't Get Their Act Together
  • The Largesse of the Sea Maiden
  • The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • Homesick for Another World
  • Dead Mom Walking: A Memoir of Miracle Cures and Other Disasters
  • Nitro Mountain
  • Forest Primeval
  • Brian Jones: The Making of the Rolling Stones
  • Permission
  • The Final Days of Jesus: The Most Important Week of the Most Important Person Who Ever Lived
  • Ong's Hat: The Beginning
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
Jacob Wren makes literature, collaborative performances and exhibitions. His books include Polyamorous Love Song, Rich and Poor and Authenticity is a Feeling. As co-artistic director of Montreal-based interdisciplinary group PME-ART he has co-created performances such as: En français comme en anglais, it's easy to criticize, Individualism Was A Mistake, The DJ Who Gave Too Much Information and Eve ...more

News & Interviews

“If we make a union in these fields, is there anything we can do to ensure it doesn't become corrupt? Or that later it doesn't only look after the people who work here, we just look after our own, and everyone else can fend for themselves? We need to fight for ourselves, here and now, but we also need changes so large and impossible they encompass the entire world.” 7 likes
“{T}here are millions of books published every year exposing the world's corruption, and the corruption of the world only increases. Each book, in its own way, has teeth but nothing to bite into. No clear way to attack. There are also millions of books pushing for things to remain the same, or teaching you how to make money at the expense of others. Everything balances out, but the balance is so deeply imperfect, always tilting further and further towards the worst.” 2 likes