Start by marking “Houdini's Last Trick” as Want to Read:
Houdini's Last Trick

Houdini's Last Trick

(The Burdens Trilogy 0)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A 2015 FINALIST for the JukePop/Black Hills Press Summer Writing Project Harry Houdini has a talent unlike any other-and it isn't magic. The world's most famous illusionist has escaped death countless times because of his supernatural ability to see potential outcomes. But his secret talent is about to be revealed.

When a man on the run seeks out the magician for help from
Published December 8th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Houdini's Last Trick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Houdini's Last Trick

Aidan
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much fun to read! The characters fun to read, there was foreshadowing to the first book, and it was all around an amazing read. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Short Story Prequel to The Sixteen Burdens gotten free thru giveaway or thru one of my book sites, not sure what genre would be considered or what genres is probably more to point as there is a mix of elements, but definitely entertaining. The Sixteen Burdens is where the story actually picks up around 10 years later, and will definitely try to remember to get that one as well, and it is on kindle unlimited where this one is not.

The world's greatest magician has just one chance to pull off an il
Elisa
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It sounds kind of silly if you want to summarize the plot: Harry Houdini gets a McGuffin from the Pope and, to protect it from "the Beast" he enlists the help of Charlie Chaplin. If you get past the historical inaccuracies and deploy a considerable suspension of disbelief, this book is a lot of fun. Plus, Houdini is one of the coolest historical figures ever and the funny dialog wouldn't disappoint Mr. Chaplin. Very entertaining.
Constantino
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Houdini, I don’t always believe in the supernatural. But…

“‘Maybe it’s not supernatural,’ Bess said. ‘Maybe it’s simply natural. The way I see it, your gift and the gifts of others are what we all should be, and it’s the rest of humanity that has fallen short.’”

This prequel to The Sixteen Burdens doesn’t disappoint. As someone who doesn’t usually read YA, I appreciated the fact that the characters in this book are more mature. The complexities of love and relationship explored by Khalaf in t
CallMeSensei
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-collection
Whilst reading The Sixteen Burdens, I definitely found myself wanting to know about the Harry Houdini of David Khalaf's imaginative world. Houdini was one of my favorite historical figures when I was a little girl (I wanted to be a magician at one point!) and so it was fun to explore his back story and how it leads up to the story in The Sixteen Burdens.

Harry Handcuff Houdini has the Burden of introspection. He knows every nook and cranny of his body and can see the outcomes of possible events
J. L. Thurston
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like in a magic show, "Houdini's Last Trick" has surprise and flare on every page. I'm excited to read on with "The Burdens Trilogy." David Khalaf is a very talented writer who made this story play out just like a movie in my mind.
Readers will enjoy this story if they enjoy historic fiction and adventure. I can't wait to show it to my nephew who is a major history buff and also fascinated by magicians.
Dyanne Koppenhoefer
I had read The Sixteen Burdens and wanted to read this prequel. I am so glad I did! It made Sixteen Burdens even more interesting. Houdini's Last Trick is a fun read and hits all of the things I enjoy in a book: historical fiction, young adult, mystery. I am looking forward to reading the other books in the trilogy.
Emmy
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible new historical fantasy spin on Houdini and religion.

I didn't know what I expected when I started reading it, but I wasn't expecting a tight story, with a solid plot and memorable characters!

An author and series to watch for!
This started out good, but I lost interest as it went along. It was well written though.
Nancy Morrow
Benjamin
Dec 24, 2017
Amber Hansford
Jan 01, 2016
David Khalaf was born in Orange County, California. He studied print journalism at the University of Southern California, where he served as editor of the Daily Trojan newspaper and held court on the patio outside Carl's Jr. He later went to graduate school at USC for creative writing. He has been a waiter longer than he cares to remember.

David wrote his first full novel, a futuristic social sati

The Burdens Trilogy (1 books)
  • The Sixteen Burdens