Start by marking “Houdini's Last Trick” as Want to Read:
Houdini's Last Trick

Houdini's Last Trick

(The Burdens Trilogy #0)

A 2015 FINALIST for the JukePop/Black Hills Press Summer Writing Project Harry Houdini has a talent unlike any other-and it isn't magic. The world's most famous illusionist has escaped death countless times because of his supernatural ability to see potential outcomes. But his secret talent is about to be revealed.

When a man on the run seeks out the magician for help from
Published December 8th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Houdini's Last Trick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Houdini's Last Trick

Start your review of Houdini's Last Trick
Bonnie Dale Keck
Short Story Prequel to The Sixteen Burdens gotten free thru giveaway or thru one of my book sites, not sure what genre would be considered or what genres is probably more to point as there is a mix of elements, but definitely entertaining. The Sixteen Burdens is where the story actually picks up around 10 years later, and will definitely try to remember to get that one as well, and it is on kindle unlimited where this one is not.

The world's greatest magician has just one chance to pull off an il
Éric Kasprak
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing; that would be my one word summary of this book. Great writing, flawless pacing, original setting with many historical (Hollywood stars) characters and a truly fun story would be the long version summary. Harry Houdini, Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford are all characters that are part of this wonderful story, masterfully weave by a seriously talented author. This is one of the most fun and interesting historical fiction I have read. Highly recommended.
Elisa
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It sounds kind of silly if you want to summarize the plot: Harry Houdini gets a McGuffin from the Pope and, to protect it from "the Beast" he enlists the help of Charlie Chaplin. If you get past the historical inaccuracies and deploy a considerable suspension of disbelief, this book is a lot of fun. Plus, Houdini is one of the coolest historical figures ever and the funny dialog wouldn't disappoint Mr. Chaplin. Very entertaining.
Constantino
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Houdini, I don’t always believe in the supernatural. But…

“‘Maybe it’s not supernatural,’ Bess said. ‘Maybe it’s simply natural. The way I see it, your gift and the gifts of others are what we all should be, and it’s the rest of humanity that has fallen short.’”

This prequel to The Sixteen Burdens doesn’t disappoint. As someone who doesn’t usually read YA, I appreciated the fact that the characters in this book are more mature. The complexities of love and relationship explored by Khalaf in t
CallMeSensei
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whilst reading The Sixteen Burdens, I definitely found myself wanting to know about the Harry Houdini of David Khalaf's imaginative world. Houdini was one of my favorite historical figures when I was a little girl (I wanted to be a magician at one point!) and so it was fun to explore his back story and how it leads up to the story in The Sixteen Burdens.

Harry Handcuff Houdini has the Burden of introspection. He knows every nook and cranny of his body and can see the outcomes of possible events
J. L. Thurston
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like in a magic show, "Houdini's Last Trick" has surprise and flare on every page. I'm excited to read on with "The Burdens Trilogy." David Khalaf is a very talented writer who made this story play out just like a movie in my mind.
Readers will enjoy this story if they enjoy historic fiction and adventure. I can't wait to show it to my nephew who is a major history buff and also fascinated by magicians.
Dyanne Koppenhoefer
I had read The Sixteen Burdens and wanted to read this prequel. I am so glad I did! It made Sixteen Burdens even more interesting. Houdini's Last Trick is a fun read and hits all of the things I enjoy in a book: historical fiction, young adult, mystery. I am looking forward to reading the other books in the trilogy.
Emmy
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible new historical fantasy spin on Houdini and religion.

I didn't know what I expected when I started reading it, but I wasn't expecting a tight story, with a solid plot and memorable characters!

An author and series to watch for!
Sarah Elizabeth
This started out good, but I lost interest as it went along. It was well written though.
Nancy Morrow
Jan 16, 2020
Patti
rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2018

• Vampire's Kiss (After Dark #2)
  • Witch Slapped (Witchless In Seattle, #1)
  • Bewitching
  • Cozy Mysteries : A 20 Book Box Set Collection
  • The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet
  • Declutter Your Life: How Outer Order Leads to Inner Calm
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain, #2)
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain, #3)
  • A Plain Cookery Book for the Working Classes
  • The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain, #5)
  • The Return of the Great Brain (The Great Brain, #6)
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain, #4)
  • Misadventures of a 1970s Childhood: A Humorous Memoir
  • Guys and Dolls and Other Writings
  • Kiki & Jax: The Life-Changing Magic of Friendship
  • The Great Brain Does it Again (The Great Brain, #7)
  • The Great Brain (Great Brain, #1)
  • The Provident Prepper: A Common-Sense Guide to Preparing for Emergencies
Want to read Houdini's Last Trick, the first book in David's historical adventure series for free? Get it here!
________________________________________

David Khalaf was born in Orange County, California. He studied journalism and creative writing at the University of Southern California, and wrote his first full novel, a futuristic social satire, right out of college. It's still sitting on a shelf