Start by marking “The Six SIGMA Way: How Ge, Motorola, and Other Top Companies Are Honing Their Performance” as Want to Read:

Six Sigma was originally developed at Motorola in the 1980's and has become one of the most widely discussed and reported trends in business over the past two years, thanks largely to the phenomenal successes of the Six Sigma program at one of the world's most successful companies, GE.
Published May 18th 2000 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published April 27th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Six SIGMA Way, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jim Dubois
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Great information but it is a very dry,textbook style of book. If you make it bedtime reading material you will fall asleep and not retain anything. Best to read when you are alert and seeking information. Very process oriented.
Beth E
Jan 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
Painful. I thought the book would be more of a commentary on how these big companies embraced the process and what their bottom-line success was. Instead, this book was more of an owners manual on Six Sigma. Not at all what I expected.
Karleton Helfer
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This recommendation is based on having read dozens of books in this genre.

Read this book, it is a straight forward read.

See other reviews for details.
Brad
Dec 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is a group of summaries of how companies succeeded. It also has a summary of VERY general descriptions of the Six Sigma program, but without giving the reader any true wisdom.
Benjamin
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit better than the average business book about six-sigma in that it's not just a sales tool trying to convince you to implement it at your company, but also gives tips on how you can better use the techniques at companies that are already using the business model.
Jason Mesiarik
Pulled this down from the book shelf recently and re-listened to the audio CDs in the car - well worth it! So many lessons from Six Sigma to help other change management and business transformation efforts - including those upon which I am working.
Toni
Basic - into level for HS. This book is now outdated but even so, it lacks concrete data as it uses vague research.
Diana Muresan
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Dry material but great for diving into Six Sigma. Will be getting my certification soon, so this was a good teaser.
Omar Halabieh
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is THE reference on Six Sigma. The authors define it as "A comprehensive and flexible system for achieving, sustaining and maximizing business success. Six Sigma is uniquely driven by close understanding of customer needs, disciplined use of facts, data, and statistical analysis, and diligent attention to managing, improving, and reinventing business processes."

This work is made up of three major sections. The first part provides an executive summary of this system. The second part foc
Mckinley
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
"TQM on steriods."
5 step core competencies: identify key customers and processes, define customer requirements, measure current performance, analyze/prioritize/implement improvements, expand and integrate s sigma system
Jordan Ballam
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted more nuts and bolts rather than the more general overview that this book provided. It is clear that this was written by a consultant that also was looking to sell a handbook and be hired on by a company. If you are looking to improve your six sigma skills I would recommend looking elsewhere.
Randolph
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Ostensibly a "manager's book" for Six Sigma. which translates to: not much depth. This in turn translates to: teaches you to do nothing actually useful so don't waste your time here unless you want a long winded 40,000 foot introduction to GE Six Sigma methodology.

Another problem with Six Sigma is there are really two schools: Motorola and GE. The Motorola methodology actually teaches one how to use statistical principles to build better quality in, how to maintain it, and how to continuously im
Bob Wallner
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People with little understanding of change management
Shelves: 6-sigma, audible
My review is based on the Abridged Audiobook. I guess I may have been expecting something else. This book is a great introduction to people who have little or no experience with any kind of Continuous Improvement effort and the challenges they will face. This book did a great job of talking about cultural changes all Improvement efforts will take. In the audiobook; however, there was little explanation of what tools drive the Six Sigma Way. I like that the author did not put down other efforts s ...more
Curtis
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I listened to the abridged audio version. Based on that, I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe the book has more detail, but this audio version was full of summarized info that I could have gotten from a Wikipedia article.
Milo Vukelich
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. A good primer on 6-Sigma, how it works and, most importantly for me, how it works in service industries. I recommend it to anyone looking for a quick intro to the field.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
pretty sure i would never have read this book if it wasnt for me mistakingly believing i wanted to be an engineer. however, for a school book, it was pretty good.
Phyllis
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of the methodology
David Miranda
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lots of talk about how six sigma is great but I didn't feel like I got anything out of it that I can actually go apply.
Dax
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Well, it's pretty good for a six-sigma how-to. Whether six-sigma can live up to its promises is another question entirely.
Shawn Chase
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good book to give to your friends who want an introductory understanding of Six Sigma
Hardiansyah
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Help my project much ..;)
Alberto Lopez
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
A great business topic!
Matt Clem
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book, not just about Six Sigma, but about organizational and process improvement in general.
Katy Dickinson
A good introduction to Six Sigma statistics-based business improvement methods.
Hany Fahmy
May 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not worthy to waste time
Matthew Pierce
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you like business books, this is a must read.
Lianto Lim
Shavkat Alimov
Mar 27, 2016
Michele
Apr 22, 2012

• Lean Six SIGMA for Service: How to Use Lean Speed and Six SIGMA Quality to Improve Services and Transactions
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • The Age of Unreason
  • The Six SIGMA Handbook: A Complete Guide for Greenbelts, Blackbelts, and Managers at All Levels
  • Harvard Business Review on Advances in Strategy
  • Jack Welch & The G.E. Way: Management Insights and Leadership Secrets of the Legendary CEO
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Harvard Business Review on Leadership
  • The Power of Six SIGMA
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Harvard Business Review on Knowledge Management
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • The Breakthrough Company: How Everyday Companies Become Extraordinary Performers
  • Velocity: Combining Lean, Six Sigma and the Theory of Constraints to Achieve Breakthrough Performance - A Business Novel
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Harvard Business Review on Effective Communication
  • Leading Quietly: An Unorthodox Guide to Doing the Right Thing
  • Harvard Business Review on Entrepreneurship
Pete is a seasoned consultant in process improvement, organization change and Lean, Six Sigma initiatives – and is one of the recognized "experts" in the field. He has provided senior executive training and deployment consulting services in business improvement and Lean, Six Sigma efforts for such companies as GE Capital, Cisco Systems, Starwood Hotels, Honeywell, Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Adobe, G ...more