Start by marking “The Body: Being Light in Darkness” as Want to Read:
The Body: Being Light in Darkness

The Body: Being Light in Darkness

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  642 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
A newly released special edition of the life-changing classic from Charles Colson.Once every generation, a book comes along that defines debate, shapes attitudes, and changes society. The Body is such a book.

Because its message is so powerful and timeless, The Body -- winner of the 1993 Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion and the ECPA Gold Medallion as Book of the Yea
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1992 by Word Pub Audio Cassettes (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body

John
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover of our most recent church directory shows a picture of our church building. It's a nice building, but using that picture sends an unfortunate message: This is our church.
It's not. "Our" church is the people pictured inside the directory.
Charles Colson and Ellen Santilli Vaughn, in "The Body," are writing about the church, and they make it clear from the outset that the church is the people of God. It's not an institution; it's certainly not a building, or a "campus."
They also make it c
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in 1992, but its message is relevant for today. Chuck Colson emphasizes that the Church is not a religion or a building, but a community of believers around the world. Theology is mixed with testimonies of how God builds his church even under the most adverse circumstances. His message includes such quotes as "The church hs been entrusted with the truth in an age that knows not truth. We've been entrusted with a message of hope in an age that puts its home in temporal toys ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I actually read the earlier edition first and then got the newer one. This is a look at the Christian Church and the things we have in common rather than the things that seperate us.
Cecelia Lester
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A close Christian friend gave me this book. What she might not have known is that I used to read his books. This one has a lot of history in it. I learned about circumstances that the Eastern Europeans faced as they overthrew their oppressive government through the unity of God's people. He explains the concept of a Biblical worldview. I had to put the book down for a while. But when I returned to it, everything became easier for me to understand.
Mallory
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
When one becomes a Christian, what follows? Is it an individual pursuit, a private and personal faith? Or is there a larger, grander involvement at stake? What does it mean, what does it entail to be part of the body, the church? In his easily accessible style, Chuck Colson dives deep into what it really means to be living as a Christian today. I love that he sprinkles in stories from throughout history to quickly draw you in. Although the current issues he wrote about in the '90s are not exactl ...more
Biographyguy
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God certainly works in mysterious ways. I have always felt, since becoming a Christian, that my calling was to become a pastor. I really was mentally preparing myself for whatever God had in store for me.

All of this started for me when I began to read my Dad's theology books as he is a pastor. The first one I read was Chuck Colson's The Body. It is twenty years old now, but its' call to be a witness in times of darkness is even more relevant in the digital and internet age. On so many community
Ingrid
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was wonderful. I understand it was a updating of the book he had written earlier. So the one I read was called "Being the Body". It was co-written with a woman named Ellen. The book was structured in a way that made it exciting to read and poignant. The true stories are told in detail well researched and are about things and events that I had heard of but knew little about. They then reflect on the lessons learned and the application for individual Christian living for our time. Some o ...more
Elijah Abanto
Problems aside, this would be a very good book. If I would recommend this book, I think I'll do to those whose doctrinal beliefs would not be shaken, especially about ecumenism. Colson's reference to Catholicism and other denominations are many, and all with great approval. He really believes they are Christians. He believes the Universal, Invisible Church, and it reflects throughout the book. Without a strong doctrinal foundation, you would be swayed easily.
Anyway, I have so much positive to sa
John
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book Chuck makes an extensive review of where the 20th century church is, how it arrived spiritually and where it should be biblically. Throughout are many stories and antedotes that drive home real examples of the body operating as it should in todays culture.

A wonderful historical perspective of the fall of communism is also included with stories from a number of Eastern Europe countries and the struggles that they went through, beginning from approximately the 2nd World War on thro
Steve
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too sanctimonious. Christians of all stripes worship God in the way that they believe pleases him the most. If you're a Byzantine Orthodox or a Pentecostal, you worship that way you believe is the best. It doesn't mean you're right or wrong, because no one knows. Oh, lots of people think they know. They're SURE they know, and they love to tell everyone the "true way". If we really knew, we would all worship the same. But we don't. To declare certain people as "apostates" really rubs me the wrong ...more
Philip Esguerra
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent analysis of the state of the church today. It opens my mind about the church role in affecting change from without and within. The part of the church in communist eastern Europe is worth the time reading. I will read more of Chuck Colson's book.
Thomas Kidd
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this back in 1992 or 1993, it challenged me to see the church in a totally different way. While I might have now "matured" beyond this basic primer of narratives showing us what the church should be, I will never forget the influence it had on me.
Barbara
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-studies
The church is the body of Christ. I especially liked the stories of Eastern Europe and Christians standing up to communism. The final chapter about a man on death row who comes to know Christ is heartbreakingly beautiful.
William E.
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time through on The Body. The authors are not harbingers of doom, but rather reveal to the Church in America what everyone outside the church sees. This is an encouraging volume with practical direction form becoming what God intended for His Bride.
Andy Daugherty
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly an amazing book. I believe every Christian minister should read this book. Every church volunteer should read this book. This is one of those books that has a profound affect on your walk. It is definitely in my top 10 favorite books after the Bible.
Glen
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colson is always a thoughtful and well-researched read. This was a treatment of prescient issues on the essence of the church, the believer's participation and what it means to be Christ's body in the world. The footnotes are always beneficial to read as well.
Robi
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a memorial to Chuck Colson who went to be with the Lord this year. He was the epitome of someone redeemed by God and transformed into a new person. This book will haunt me and spur me on to live for others--to live outside myself.
Valerie
Sep 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This is a good book but admittedly I didn't finish it. It didn't seem to fit my season appropriately. I did enjoy what I read though.
Mona
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, well written guide to peace and progress in the Christian church. I would recommend for anyone whether it be pastor, laypeople, or church member. Excellent!!
Sandie
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a difficult read for me.. A deep subject that is covered well.
Nick Woodall
Awesome! Brilliant! A great read for any thinking person.
Pete Bartel
Pretty good book about what the Church is and should be. Lots of real life examples.
Timothy La
There is No-Better reading...I have read this book 4 times and preached it's material...
Brent Barnard
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost always like Chuck Colson. Here he's promoting both holiness and the unity of the church. Excellent.
Patti Hertzog
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't necessarily agree with all of Colson's doctrine, but I've read the book twice and been so convicted.
Melody
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed the first chapter so far.
Dayo Adewoye
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, apologetics
A brilliant book that reminds the church that her first duty is to be 'the Church.'
Eric
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A look at the Church in America, also compared with int'l scene, how morality seems to be failing in our society - As good/better on second reading - First read 1994
Jud
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1992, it's a little dated (there is a newer version out called "Being the Body") and not without flaws, but this book should serve as a wake-up call to the church.
Mary
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it a long while back but remember it being a good book.
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
  • Answers to Tough Questions Skeptics Ask About the Christian Faith
  • Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life Journal
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception
Almost 40 years ago, Charles W. Colson was not thinking about reaching out to prison inmates or reforming the U.S. penal system. In fact, this aide to President Richard Nixon was "incapable of humanitarian thought," according to the media of the mid-1970s. Colson was known as the White House "hatchet man," a man feared by even the most powerful politicos during his four years of service to Nixon.

W
More about Charles W. Colson...