Start by marking “Mr. Ridley” as Want to Read:
Mr. Ridley

Mr. Ridley

(The Whipping Society #1)

HE'S ALL BONES AND SHE'S ALL SUNSHINE.
Meet Mr. Ridley.

BOOK 1 of 3, one man and one woman bent on one passion of making the other writhe.

LONDON, ENGLAND - 1830
Criminals fear the iron fist of justice he delivers. Scotland Yard will do anything to get their hands on his mind. Whilst women? They crawl in the hope of becoming his. But only one woman is about to hold his body an
Published February 28th 2017 by Delilah Marvelle Productions, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Ridley, please sign up.
Delilah Marvelle February 28th :) An excerpt was just posted to my website, so it's official!
Delilah Marvelle Yes! It'll hit all digital stores Feb. 28th. An excerpt just hit my website, so it's official! :)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

This was so wonderfully fresh, non-cookie cutter that I reveled in it. How has this author escaped me before??? Like I said in an update, the hero is left of center and the almost gothic tone with bdsm threads bubbling under the surface (I fully expect them to see daylight in the next book in the series), is not going to be for everyone. If you usually like books I do, abandon your friends and family to go out, buy this book, and cocoon yourself for some uninterrupted reading time.

*I w
Sam (AMNReader)
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sam (AMNReader) by: WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
3.75 really fucking weird stars.

Here's a great review of this book, which got me to read this dark Gothic Sherlock-y kinda BDSMy but with no sex novel.

It's weird. Really fucking weird. The writing doesn't drag it down, it was actually quite clean and oddly upbeat. Even funny. There's a few stylistic choices I'd have preferred to go without. Things like: "allllllll"
Or saying 18 is the new 30.

Still the story is engaging. The characters are great, and this i
Delilah Marvelle
Feb 18, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
My dearest Readers,
I am about to do something crazy and it is my hope that you embrace my madness. After struggling with two characters and a world that was far too big to fit into one book (I was hitting almost 1,000 pages...!!!), I decided one book simply wasn't going to be enough because these two refused to let me give them up.

Unlike most historical romances where the hero & heroine's love for each other stops at a mere one book, this first full length book is the beginning of many (Thi
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Delilah Marvelle’s books. She’s always willing to push the boundaries of conventional romance, as she does in her new, The Whipping Society Saga . As mentioned in the cover blurb and Ms. Marvelle’s note, the story unfolds over three books. Usually, I prefer books to be complete in themselves with a definite ‘Happy Ever After’ but, once I started reading Mr. Ridley, the story was so compelling and the characters so intriguing that I just can’t wait to read the next instalment!

Ridley’s lif
Nicole Laverdure's Reviews
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sinfully provocative and emotionally powerful! 6 stars

Beautifully written, by talented author Delilah Marvelle, Mr. Ridley is a sensual and emotional masterpiece! I think it's one of Ms. Marvelle's best yet! Omg, she has outdone herself! It’s so captivating with a touch of darkness! It’s also the amazing introduction to The Whipping Society, the saga of a hero and heroine that will follow in three books.

Her first book tells the story of Evan Oswald Ridley, a tormented man in many dark ways, who
Jujubee
So Deliciously Different, So Darkly Devine

Mmmmmmmister Ridley.

I have been a big fan of Delilah Marvelle for quite some time. Her smexy romance historicals never fail to entertain all my senses with intelligent, witty, and enlightened dialog, searing passions, and characters of strength and vulnerability. Goddess, I loved this beginning story of Jemdanee and Ridley, with all his dark quirks and her inherent kindness and hope...I fell down that rabbit hole with my whole reading heart! Well done, d
Jaci
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before I start a review of this book I have to let you know that some the subject matter in this book is not for the faint hearted. I have read every book that Dellilah has written. I think it is safe to say that I consider myself her #1 Fan. That does not mean I cannot be critical of her writing. I will always be honest, I think this helps the author and the book I am reviewing. That being said this book was exceptional on many levels. Delilah writes at such a level that shows she respects her ...more
Linda
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Jemdanee makes the trip from India to London, on her guardians request, to maybe, just maybe, be able to continue her education, she didnt expect to find herself in the middle of havoc.
But as a foreigner shes very easy to blame.
As luck will have it Mr Ridley can help. But will Jemdanee be able to accept his help?
And how will this end?
First in a trilogy, historical romance/suspense and fluff in a great combo.
Cant wait to see more from this couple!
Disclaimer; I was given a free copy in exc
Shannon   The Romance Addict!
*I want to Thank Mrs.Marvelle for a free book in exchange for my HONEST Opinion.

It's been a while since I read a 5 star book. This one is it for me. I HATE cliffhangers/series but this book/books are going to be worth it, I can feel it. I love Delilah Marvelle writting style. This book is a Historical Romance but it also so much more. I dying for the next book. I can't wait to see what Jemdanee "Kumar" will do or how she will make him crawl. I started this book this afternoon and read straight
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, fiction, romance
4.5 stars. "Mr. Ridley" is the story of Jemdanee, a young woman who knows what she wants. Originally from India, she finds herself in danger and arrested in England and teams up with our titular character, Mr. Ridley. Neither one is prepared for the other and what they'll bring into each other lives. Filled with rich characters, romance, and deep, dark secrets, this is a thoroughly exciting opening to a new trilogy! There is so much to love about this book!

The characters really make this book. J
Eileen Dandashi
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Arresting quotes in Mr. Ridley by Delilah Marvelle

Don’t lecture me. I’ve seen too much of life and I am what I am because I am.

Few will ever point out their own flaws, but I will be the first to admit I carry the greatest one of all. I deny myself nothing and regret everything.”

In real life, sometimes the chance of amounting to anything in a world that offers nothing is contingent on believing in something.

There is only one god and one master of this universe we need to fear and his rightful na
Diane
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Wow! I don't know when I've read a story with such a dark, damaged hero. Mr Ridley lives in the darkness investigating the worst of the worst, solving crimes that Scotland Yard can't or don't care enough to solve. Working in that kind of environment encourages the demons in him. He feels those demons with coca leaves and limestone to get the jolt he needs to keep going.
Into this darkness comes 18 year old Jemdanee Kumar straight from India. Walking down the street, she is separated from her guar
Moriah
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Ridley is a unique title that is perfect for those that like darkness in their romance. The sexual tension and chemistry between Ridley and Jemdanee is amazing and just continues to build throughout the story. I enjoyed that Jemdanee is not your typical historical romance heroine but is instead half Indian and had a hard scramble childhood prior to her British doctor benefactor taking her into his home. Ridley reminds me in some ways of a dark version of Sherlock Holmes if he had been featur ...more
Jessie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm delighted that Delilah Marvelle has started a new historical romance series! She hinted about the whipping society in her School of Gallantry series and it's finally here!

With all of Delilah's novels, there's always twists. Our heroine is a bright, beautiful Indian lady arrested in London for a crime she didn't commit. Our hero is the only one who has the power to save her but of course it is really she who is saving him. The story is layered with historical information so you feel like you
LOU71
Mr. Ridley is the first book in The Whipping Society Saga. It’s a provocative romance story that begins in this first book but extends to books two & three. Hence, the Saga.

The author, Delilah Marvelle, has left a message on Goodreads that gives us readers an explanation about her series. She writes, “My dearest readers, I am about to do something crazy and it is my hope that you embrace my madness.

Unlike most historical romances where the Hero & Heroine’s love story fits into one book,
Caroline
It's Odd

It tries very hard to have depth, but the lack of actual physical contact is boring after 200 pages. Masturbating in different rooms has a very 1980's Elvira movie feel to it.

It also makes little sense. The guy is trying to kill himself, but then wakes up and thinks himself in love, as if he had some epiphany brought on by a botched suicide, but it isn't true. He knew before he took the drugs. His character is incongruent. He is selfish, but not selfish, self sacrificing and at the same
Amy Alvis
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Upon arrival in London, Jemdanee is arrested and thrown into prison. Days later she is rescued by the mysterious Mr. Ridley. He wants her help in solving a case. He takes her back to his place to clean up and rest before visiting the crime scene. Of course, living in the same place, they can't help but interact.

Ridley is a tortured soul, so even though he is very attracted to Jemdanee, he is not going to inflict his personality on someone so young. Jemdanee can't understand this, and feels like
Natasha
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
As expected, Delilah does not disappoint when it comes to story and character development. This story lets readers get to know Jemdanee and Ridley as a set up for follow up stories. Both characters are full of flaws, sweet moments and annoying tendencies but that's what makes them so human! I loved the set up in this book and can't wait to see where these characters go!
Kimberly
8/3/19 - free on Kindle
Toula
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is part 1 to a part 3 series . As each book the Delightful Delilia releases it gets better and better . She always outdone herself . No exceptions to this one . But be warned this book is not for the squeamish or faint of heart . There are some parts that show the below the surface of human nature . This is a true love story even though the cultures and the prejudices are there . Hero is Mr Ridley. Heroine is Jasmadeen . This story takes place in London during 1830. Dr Peter who brought Jas ...more
Tammy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent start to a new series. I was hooked from beginning to end. I loved Mr. Ridley, such and interesting character and an all-around entertaining read. I loved it and am looking forward to more in the series.
Toula
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jaimie Johnson Grippin
Intriguing

A little slow to start but once it got going i really got into it. Note i can't wait for the next one because i want to know how hard she makes him beg!!!
Sara
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kind of reminded me of Sherlock but with more romance. Highly enjoyed and really looking forward to future books.
Julie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
Here is wonderfully different historical from Ms Marvelle. Mr Ridley is an unusual young man, he's dark and seem to be in complete control his emotions, his immediate task is to secretly release a young Indian lady being charged for a crime she didn't commit. Through out the story we learn more about Ridley and the walls built around his heart, and Jemdanee who becomes more determined to break through those walls and save him.

The story doesn't end here it's only the beginning, but it's certainly
Ash P Reads
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how awesome this story is. Yes, it is very dark and morbid but it is oh so romantic. I just love the way Jemdanee is able to unlock every one of those "taalas" (locks) on Ridley's heart. I actually felt a little bit sorry for him but she just bulldozes her way through with her positivity and open heart. I'm not going to let loose any spoilers on this review so just pre-order or one-click this fantastic historical darkly romantic story now! I just can't wait for book ...more
Swati Pant
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Angie Jewel
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just reread both books that have been released. The characters in this book are so wheel suited for one another. For the second time I got lost in the way they interact with one another. I'm such a critic of the books I read and rarely find a book I seem worthy of 5 stars but I truly got wrapped up in these characters. You know a book is well written when your half way through it and they haven't even kissed and you don't even care because the book is just that good.
Kristel
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The premise of the book is highly unique and it differs much from your standard rimance novels. It feels gritty but the dialogues are written very well. The banter between the 2 protagonist is entertaining to read. It is a bit cruder than normal books and some of the things mentioned in the book might be shocking for those who are used to “tamer” books. I like that its a very unusual book, that both character are smart and it showed by how they spoke.
I spent my youth studying various languages, reading voraciously, and playing the pianoforte. I confess that here ends the extent of my gentle breeding. I was a naughty child who was forever torturing her parents with countless adventures that they did not deem respectable. Confined to my room on many occasions due to these misadventures, I soon discovered the quill and its amazing power. I scribe ...more

The Whipping Society (3 books)
  • The Devil is French