Start by marking “Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family” as Want to Read:
Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family

Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family

Sometimes parents wish there was a guaranteed formula for raising good kids--a certain list of rules to follow to ensure they'd have obedient children. But if moms and dads view their role through the lens of God's grace, they will see that the gospel must first shape how they parent before they can effectively shape their children. In this highly practical book, Paul ...more
Published September 30th 2016 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting

Start your review of Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family
Casey Bradshaw
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this one will live on my nightstand. It has such truth and encouragement. The last page sums it up well: "In every moment of parenting, the wise Heavenly Father is working on everybody in the room."
Nirupa Mathew
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Christian parenting book I've read

I love his gospel centered perspective on parenting! Although a bit repetitive, content was spot on and I was deeply convicted. I will revisit this book again and again. Excellent read.
Chad Warner
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Chad by: Shelly Perkins
One of the best parenting books I've read; maybe the best. Tripp explains how to deal with the heart issues that cause a child's misbehavior, because only a change of heart can lead to true, lasting behavior change. Tripp emphasizes how we must bring the Gospel into our parenting; to go beyond enforcing our authority and point to God's authority, and beyond that to His grace. There are hypothetical and actual examples to illustrate the principles.

Tripp comforts parents by telling us that our job
Calvinist Batman
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is by far the best parenting book I've read. It's more general ideas and not exact practices, but it's hard to read a page and not feel convicted. It has changed my parenting completely and I plan on reading it once or twice a year for the next 20 years. It's that good.

Update from 2nd readthrough:
Still amazing. 19 more years to go.

Update from the 3rd readthrough:
It's still amazing and humbling. I need this book in my life. Since becoming Presbyterian, I found myself agreeing even more with
Robin
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Classic Tripp on how the gospel should be what shapes and drives our parenting. Lots of helpful reminders that ultimately we parent out of being and knowing His parental love and authority toward us as Father.

The thing that irks me about Tripp's writing is that he is so repetitive (reminded me of the Dangerous Calling book). Maybe he was trying to drill the points home, but I felt it was unnecessary.

Besides that, I enjoyed it. The second to last chapter (Rest) spoke a lot to me that the Lord
Sara Larson
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although repetitive in certain parts, this book is the gospel-centered Parenting pep-talk I need every day. He is honest, direct and encouraging. I'll definitely reread this!
Stephen Escalera
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
If I had to give a one-sentence review on Paul David Tripp’s new book “Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family,” it would simply be “Read it.” I don’t think I resort to hyperbole when I say that this book is perhaps the best parenting book that I’ve ever read (and I’ve read a few). In it, Tripp is encouraging without excusing, convicting without condemning and emboldening without blaming. He writes with the heart of a pastor seeking to help those in his care.

Shane Lems
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Samuel Parkison
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. It has been tremendously helpful. Tripp is a master at identifying and subtle heart sins and clearly directing them toward the gospel. His writing does feel bogged down at times with all of his stories and illustrations. “Sally acted this way with her son,” “Billy never always threw a tantrum in the grocery store,” “Jamie couldn’t figure out how to get her daughter to spend less time on social media” and on and on and on. I felt free by the end to just skip large chunks to get ...more
Elise
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best parenting books I've read. To get the most out of it, I highly recommend reading it with your spouse so you can discuss the concepts and remind yourself of the many solid truths in the book. I don't re-read very many books, but this is one I will return to.
Claire Johnson
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this book enough. This was my third time through. I believe it's currently the best parenting book out there.
Jillian Vincent
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend to any parent. Will probably read once a year from here on out! Big takeaway: best tool for gospel parenting is understanding the gospel myself. Thankful for this reminder
Keri Higgins
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’d be willing to say this is one of the most important parenting books! SO good, helpful, & thought provoking. A little hard to read at times and kind of repetitive ...but totally worth getting through! A must read!
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book along with a group of women for our book club. I've read a handful of parenting books and there are some which really stand out as being Much Needed during various seasons of life. For me in my current season of life, this book hit the nail on the head for the instruction I needed.

If your kids are in the 8 - 12 age range and you are feeling a bit tired and confused by various changes, I especially recommend this book to clarify your thinking and straighten out missteps which I'm
Misha
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pros: Clear, the approach is not so much a how-to manual with helpful tips as it is working on the parent's heart for lasting foundational change, he makes his main points near the beginning when the reader is still paying good attention and then the rest of the book is more like backup for and expansion of the first few chapters, and he tells it like it is - kids are sinners, parents are sinners. It's really about dealing with the parents so that they can then deal with their kids, not about ...more
Lauren Denton
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I read this book over the better part of a year. It's the best book on parenting I've ever read, but it doesn't have any real-life application (as in, here's what you do in this or that particular situation). It's more about us parents realizing our need for God's guidance of us (and his grace, mercy, and forgiveness in our lives) so that we can then pour his grace and mercy out on our kids.

The best thing I read in this book was that we cannot change the hearts of our children. No matter how
Erin
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of parenting books, but this one jumps right into the top 5. That being said, I will admit it was a hard and convicting read because it felt like he was hitting all my parenting weaknesses (but in a beautiful, meaningful, important way). As another reviewer said, it's definitely more of a "why-to" than a "how-to." I took a lot of notes and will need to refer back to them on a regular basis.
I took off one star because it was repetitive and there are a few minor doctrinal
Ashley Bowman
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book on parenting I've ever read.

This is the best book on parenting I've ever read. The author brings to light how the gospel is revealed and highlighted in parenting and demonstrates how and why grace should be at the center of our parenting strategy. It's also empowering to know that we as parents can't control or do what only God can do in the lives of our children, but what we can do is trust God and pray and try our best.
Jake Griess
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
READ THIS BOOK. Stop what you’re reading and read this book. You’re not a parent? Read this book. It is so so good. It’s all about the grace and mercy that God shows parents but is applicable to all believers.

I read it over the last 6 months because it’s so rich and full of parenting wisdom. I will absolutely read it again. It is potentially the best Christian book I’ve ever read. The author truly has experienced Gods grace and mercy and communicates it so well.
Elizabeth
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mom, parenting, acpl, favorites
Aside from the Bible, this is probably one of the best and most edifying books that I have read this year. Like looking at a diamond from every angle, each chapter demonstrates how the Good News of what Jesus Christ accomplished through His life, death, and resurrection applies to parenting. This book is convicting, encouraging, and challenging. I highly commend it!
Christa
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best parenting book I have read and will intentionally re-read. Not full of tips and tricks that may or may not work, rather full of gospel truth that will pierce your heart, give you hope and encourage you to offer to your children what has been so richly offered to you...love, grace, and mercy. Paradigm shifting.
Jenni Moeller
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the truths in this book, but it was more difficult keeping my attention about half way through. So glad I finished it, very encouraging book!
Andrea
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most powerful parenting book I've ever read. It has completely changed the way I interact with my son. Took one star away because it is very repetitive. But every Christian parent should read this.
Ross H
Excellent! Very helpful for seeing and standing on the theological foundations of biblical parenting. Highly recommend.
Rachel
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read on how to not only seek to guide my kiddos in the Truth of the Gospel, but myself as well. Amazing book!
Bethany
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands-down one of the best parenting books I've read.
Kristopher Schaal
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Every Paul David Tripp book I have read has blessed my soul; this book was no exception.

However, this also wasn't your typical book on parenting. Tripp explains the book's purpose on pp. 12-13: "This will not be a book of practical strategies for dealing with children at the various ages of their development. This book will not provide practical steps for dealing with the kinds of things every parent faces. This book is meant to be a reorienting book. It is meant to give you a new way of
Mary
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"It is vital to understand that God has called you to something deeper than to manage, guide, and control your child's behavior. God has called you to be an agent of his rescuing, forgiving, transforming, and delivering grace. You cannot allow yourself to settle for anything less." (149)
"I am convinced that without knowing it, thousands and thousands of well-meaning Christian parents are asking the law to do in the lives of their children what only the powerful grace of God can accomplish." (49)
Jeremy
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jeremy by: Nick Thiessen

This book is full of great principles for parenting. These are not detailed, step-by-step procedures but rather are grounded values to develop a gospel-oriented basis for parenting your kids. The basic premise is that both the kids and the parents need to understand that all of their problems that come bubbling up throughout childhood and adulthood are a result of a heart problem. This is not about obeying or disobeying a set of rules, but worshipping some “thing”, or things”, other than God.

Our

John Boyne
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paul Tripp's parenting book is a masterpiece and should be required reading for all parents, both brand new ones and those with adult children. Tripp writes beautifully by bringing us back to the original purpose of parenthood, which is to spread the gospel to our children. I think the most important incite that Tripp gives us is to remember that we don't own our children, God does, and he has called us to act as his ambassador to our children in order to represent Christ in their lives. Tripp ...more
Parenting is best when messy and involves others. 1 5 Aug 31, 2016 10:11PM

• Risen Motherhood: Gospel Hope for Everyday Moments
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full: Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Missional Motherhood: The Everyday Ministry of Motherhood in the Grand Plan of God
  • In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • You Who? Why You Matter and How to Deal With It
  • 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You
  • Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • Ploductivity: A Practical Theology of Tools & Wealth
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
Paul was born in Toledo, Ohio to Bob and Fae Tripp on November 12, 1950. Paul spent all of his growing years in Toledo until his college years when his parents moved to Southern California.
At Columbia Bible College from 1968-1972, (now Columbia International University) Paul majored in Bible and Christian Education. Although he had planned to be there for only two years and then to study
“in every moment when you are parenting, you are being parented. In every moment when you are called to give grace, you are being given grace. In every moment when you are rescuing and protecting your children, you are being rescued and protected. In every moment when you feel alone, you are anything but alone because he goes wherever you go.” 5 likes
“When you think your job is to change your child and you’ve been given the power to do it, your parenting will tend to be demanding , aggressive, threatening, and focused on rules and punishments. In this kind of parenting you are working to make your children into something rather than working to help them to see something and seek something. In this form of parenting, it is all about you and your children, rather than you being an agent of what only God can do in your children. Your hope is that you will exercise the right power, at the right time, and in the right way so change in your children will result. That process is profoundly different than working to be a useful tool in the hands of a God of glorious transforming grace, who alone is your hope and the hope of your children.” 4 likes