Start by marking “Managing for Happiness: Games, Tools & Practices to Motivate Any Team” as Want to Read:
Managing for Happiness: Games, Tools & Practices to Motivate Any Team

Managing for Happiness: Games, Tools & Practices to Motivate Any Team

A practical handbook for making management great again, "Managing for Happiness" offers a complete set of practices for more effective management that makes work fun.

Work and fun are not polar opposites; they're two sides of the same coin, and making the workplace a pleasant place to be keeps employees motivated and keeps customers coming back for more. It's not about gimm
Published June 27th 2016 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Managing for Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing for Happiness

Start your review of Managing for Happiness: Games, Tools & Practices to Motivate Any Team
Ștefania Ioana Chiorean
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really cool and direct approaches with several examples to be followed with the team.
Susanna Rautio
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Jurgen Appelo's Managing for Happiness has a great message: the feelings of joy and happiness are essentials for the productive teams and organisations.

Basically, Appelo's Managing for Happiness is just extra add to the long row of business books celebrating lean and flat business culture. In the open-minded cultures like Finland creative workers have already adapted agile ways of work. However, in some more traditional working cultures Appello's ideas have been seen more radical.

Today Dutch Ju
Mariusz
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: merapar, paper, agile
Very nice book, really inspiring by many examples described.
Yury Lytvynenko
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most of the critiques of this book are related to the fact that it is mostly a recap on previous ones (Management 3.0 and #workout). It might be the case, but for a person that didn't read those (me), this one is actually a precious source of practices I can use in my everyday work right away.
And they're backed by literature, often of scientific kind, which is important for me.

André Gomes
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book, fun to read, full of great ideias to teams and managers.
Pi
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books in organization psychology and management. I highly recommend it.

The author presents 2 concepts of disruptive idea: how organisations run organically and how the human mind works under the working environment. And both concepts are the way to ultimate goal, Self-organization, Dream of many managers.

Many people believe that organisations run like an airplane, CEO as a pilot who controls everything in the cockpit from all dashboards he has. The others are compositions
Geoff Battle
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Managing for Happiness is a well presented book full of wisdom. I've been around the block in management and this book contains, to be honest, not a lot of new techniques - however if fully deserves a high rating, because what it does do, is reinforce great behaviours and provide a great steer on moving from what you know, to what you should do. Many managers receive training, which without repetition to embed it, or guidance on-site, frequently diminishes as habit takes back control. Here's a l ...more
Łukasz Woliński
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, books
I got this book from my workplace, where we have a shelf with books about agility, management, leadership and the like, which we can borrow freely. The first time I saw the title I thought the book's contents would be some kind of touchy-feely mambo-jambo: that we’re supposed to smile all the time or hold hands or something like that (I’m from Poland, people here are more like the Grumpy Cat, complaining makes us happy, not smiling ;)) Then I saw the author’s name (I’ve been already reading Mana ...more
Szymon Kulec
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The management is to important to leave it only for managers.
That's the best summary and introduction to the new wave of management described and presented by Jurgen Appelo. The book is full of many practices of improving your workplace. Some of them may be treated as games, some will provide meaningful exercises uncovering previously unknown facts. On the meta level, this book is inspiring to experiment with engagement techniques.
It's encouraging, well-written, optimistic set of tools everyon
Angel Castro
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management, agile
This book is quite fun and offers a good set of practices and games that can make your management work more pleasant. It's a book completely focus on people, and if you're an agile practitioner, probably this book is going to expand your bag of techniques.

I read this book in almost no time, and I enjoyed it too much. It's not academic at all, and focus on the real thing. The author wants to help you solve a problem, and not to tell a long story.

The major catch I could mention is that the Kindle
Lukasz Nalepa
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, read-work
Now, that is far better writing that Management 3.0 :) Nicely written, easy to read and packed full of nice things to try out. I had the chance to read most of the content when Jurgen published it in PDF during writing of this book, so it took me a while to get back to it and read it from cover to cover.
Definitely worth the time spent, but has it's drawbacks - I know that chosen format provided a lot of opportunieties to make it colorful and composed in the fun way, but it was really hard to li
Geert Hofman
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. It took some time before I could really start to read it, but once I got into the mood it read like an introduction to an engaging game. It all seems very actionable and I'm looking forward to try out many of the practices and principles in our new academic year with our team as well as with our students, adapting the practices where needed on the go and working with them to look for a good match where possible. Hopefully the real application will be as good as the read ...more
José Pereira
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book by Jurgen Appelo. It has a lot of games that makes easier to implement Management 3.0 in your organization. One of his previous books Management 3.0 brings its theory, and this one helps linking both theory and practice.
Another interesting part of this book is the experience brought by the community. When he was writing this book, he shared it with the community, who helps both on reviewing it and on providing more use cases.
I strongly recommend this book, which has a l
Richard Brenner
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile-books
A good book with some practical tools to play with in your work environment, given the right mindset is in place. It helps to facilitate teamwork and appreciate peers (kudo cards), explains how you can discuss delegation levels in a better way (delegation poker) and for example talk with peers about their motivational factors (moving motivators).
So far some of those tools helped me a lot in certain situations.
Tim Nowotny
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
One of the best change management books that I ever read. It offers a great mix of rough stroked change principles and very hands on practices to implement. I think it worked so well for me exactly because it kept things a bit vague. It‘s a book you read through with joy and have many ideas while doing that. I can imagine turning back to this book at a later time when I need inspiration.
Sergio Gago
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
It has some good pieces of advice scattered through a book that basically says 'if agile doesn't work for you it is because you are doing it wrong,' but then it doesn't provide specifics on how to make it work in a generic environment outside or inside the outlying cases.
While the concept of management 3.0 sounds interesting, it is difficult to fall into yet another dogma
Wojtek Erbetowski
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy every single book, article or book by Jurgen Appelo so much!

Managing by happiness is not as loaded with content as Management 3.0, but it leaves me with clear action points and ideas after reading it. I loved it!
Kristen
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was pretty uneven for me. Some of Appelo's advice struck me as totally ridiculous (the email feedback example) but some of it struck me as potentially useful, especially when it comes to his thoughts on rewards. ...more
Agustin
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. If you haven't read Management 3.0 I would recommend to start here since it's easier to read and shorter. Managing for Happiness it's more on the practice side of the scale. However if you really want to undertand the theory behind I highly recommend to also read Management 3.0. ...more
Stef
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
For the ones who are passionate about team management and are open to experiments, this book is a must read: it's fun to read, providing you lots of inspiration. ...more
Katie
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
reasons
Erwin Verweij
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Fun to read and easy to grasp. A lot of great tips and tricks and it explains the essence of M3.0.
Heli Järvenpää
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the fact that this book is full of practical tools to try. Many of which we have been experimenting at our workplace.
Phúc Võ
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
A good starting point for those have just jumped to management area as well as the experienced one seeking for work and fun. It provides tools, games, and practices to bring joy to work.
Bogdan
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really useful tools for modern management.
Kunal Gupta
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One thing that differentiates this book from other personal development books is the concrete actionable ways suggested here for improving different areas.
Rodolfo
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This books is very easy to read and it has great management tips and tricks that address common challenges. It is definitely Lean / Agile inspired. Great book.
David Khachatryan
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very useful book with a lot of practical actions.
Pablo Silva
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a amazing book. Despite the terms 3.0, 2.0, 1000.0 that people invented, his point of view about management is very modern and brings management for the 21 century!
Elsebasantiago
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great book

Any manager or emplee should read it. Work environments of today needs to change in a way that establish an safe and healthy place to develop your career
Goodreads Librari...: Please merge these 2 books! 3 23 Dec 22, 2016 08:09PM

• Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • Essential Kanban Condensed
  • Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
  • Le pays des autres
See top shelves…
***STARTUP, SCALEUP, SCREWUP. New book available in April 2019. Visit: http://startup-scaleup-screwup.com and stay tuned!***

With my company Agility Scales, I am inventing the future of organizational agility. Why are we wasting our time learning how to manage companies, when very soon computers will navigate us through our work-lives and help us to lead and manage our teams?

As a serial founder, su

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...