Start by marking “Inkheart” as Want to Read:

Inkheart

(Inkworld #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  330,466 ratings  ·  11,247 reviews
Alternate cover edition: 9780439709101

From internationally acclaimed storyteller Cornelia Funke, this bestselling, magical epic is now out in paperback!

One cruel night, Meggie's father reads aloud from a book called INKHEART-- and an evil ruler escapes the boundaries of fiction and lands in their living room. Suddenly, Meggie is smack in the middle of the kind of adventure
Published June 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published September 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Inkheart, please sign up.
Drew Probably like 10-15 age range. However, I believe books have no "age" requirement, just a "want" requirement. I hope you enjoy the book!
Donna The swearing involves one word repeated in one part of the book. The word starts with D and ends with N and rhymes with DAM (water blocking thing).…moreThe swearing involves one word repeated in one part of the book. The word starts with D and ends with N and rhymes with DAM (water blocking thing). Some people are very upset by that but I´m more concerned with the F work or others like that. I let my son read it and he loved it. There is no real romance or making out. It is an adventure story but there is a man that holds a knife to people´s throats. There is mention of blood and dead roosters being left to frighten people. The bad men also use gasoline to burn things or to scare people into obeying the main bad guy. (less)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
11,581 books — 77,512 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
54,696 books — 190,059 voters

More lists with this book...

·  330,466 ratings  ·  11,247 reviews

Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them.
Magic, this book is pure unadulterated magic.

Meggie and Mo (her father) are a pair. They're two peas in a pod, they're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, they're ice cream and sprinkles. No matter what - they are together.

Mo works as a book binder/restorer and Meggie is a full-time reader - she ready every single moment she's not in school.

When a mysterious man from Mo's past shows up on their doorstep, he packs up all of their
Jessica
I was very much looking forward to reading this, as it had very good word-of-mouth as a high-quality children's/YA fantasy that adults will also enjoy. And the premise, that characters can exist in the "real world" outside of books, or that real people can enter the world inside a book, is endlessly appealing. However, my local library is on the verge of opening a new wing with my overdue book fines on this, because I keep hanging onto it in the hope that eventually I will be able to finish read ...more
Dana
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Oy... I really wanted to like this book. I had such high hopes for it. It was one of those books that whenever my students saw me reading it they said, "Oh, I really liked that book! It was so good." So, I thought it would be great. It just wasn't. The story was nice. In short (very short): Meggie's father repairs books. Her mother disappeared nine years ago. After a mysterious visitor shows up at their house, Meggie finds out that her father has a secret. He can read characters out of books. Ni ...more
Patricia (theinfophile)
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of all things books
This book is everything I ever wanted. It's a book about a book and lovers of books. It's very self-affirming for me. Now I don't feel like a COMPLETE goober for 1) smelling books 2) learning Elvish or 3) bringing at least 5 books with me everywhere I go.

Note: just because I don't FEEL like a complete goober, does not mean I am not one.

"Inkheart" is the first in a trilogy. "Inkspell" is already out, and "Inkdeath" will be out in 2008.

You may not love "Inkheart" in and of itself; however, if you
Charlotte May
Honestly one of my favourite fantasy reads. I loved all the characters - even the villians! They were vivid, colourful, the world Cornelia Funke creates is absolutely extraordinary and if it were up to me I would live in the Inkworld for ever!
For anyone that likes a good dose of escapism, a book about books, a story that will make you laugh, cry and just generally never want to finish then this is for you!
5 stars!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Tintenherz = Inkheart (Inkworld, #1), Cornelia Funke
Inkheart (German title: Tintenherz) is a 2003 young adult fantasy novel by Cornelia Funke, and the first book of the Inkheart trilogy. Based on a 2007 online poll, the National Education Association named the book one of its "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children." Meggie, a girl at the age of 12, sees a stranger staring at her outside her window and tells her father, Mortimer (or Mo, as Meggie calls him) about it. Her father invites the strang
Ann
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of great stories and detailed plots and characters
Recommended to Ann by: Katie! Thanks again!:D
What a great story!
This is quite the page-turner! I was driven to read more by both the action/adventure and the plot/conclusion. Both are excellently written! Funke’s style of writing (and indeed the translation made by Anthea Bell) makes for a smooth and beautiful read.
Wonderfully drawn and very detailed characters fill this book from cover to cover, each character being unique and complete. The story is told from multiple viewpoints, which adds another interesting dimension to the story and p
Kirsty
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oof... it took me 12 days to finish this book. Not like me at all.

I liked the storyline. I love the fact that it is a book about books, and that is what initially made me want to read it. I read the blurb on the book and it sounded like a really fun read.

I was wrong.

The book was VERY long-winded. Whilst the plotline was good, and the characters were nicely built, the actual story dragged on most of the time. The best part of the book is the last few chapters, by which point I didn't care - I jus
Patrick
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Enjoyed it well enough. Interesting concept. Good execution. Struck me as a little grim for YA though.

By which I mean it's not something I'd read to my boy. (He's fiveish.) I might consider something like this for him when he hits 10 or so.
Hirdesh
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The best fantasy novel, I'ver read.
I was too much curious while reading that.
I just loved it.
The way writer moves the story.
Specially,3 ratings for character making.
Thanks Cornelia Funke.
Liz
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
1. Don't watch the movie. Please, don't watch it, the movie is nothing compared with the books!

2. This series is a must-read for all book-lovers, if you ask me...

A father who can awake characters from books just by reading and a daughter with equal abilities.
A series about books and reading. A series that offeres exciting adventures, lots of reading, love and friendship, danger, amazing characters and sympathetic villians...

What more does a true book-lover need?!
Right...Nothing!

This is one of
 Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader
Ah! A book about a magical book!!
How delightful!

Twelve year old Meggie lives in a small farmhouse with her father, Mo, as Meggie calls him, who repairs and restores books. Meggie doesn't think that 'bookbinder' describes the care and love her father takes when he's fixing books and prefers to say that he's a "book doctor." He has a plaque on the bookshop door that reads:
Some books should be tasted
some devoured
but only a few
should be chewed and digested thoroughly.

One dark and rainy night, a
Maia
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People against the world domination of FedEx
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, I'm at hundred pages, and I'm like: someone just kill that loser Capricorn, and then FedEx the rest of the gang home! PLEASE! I'll pay Preferred!
It goes like this: go here, go there, go back here, go back there, return to here, and so on...
Also, this story was kind of scary, which doesn't rate high in my book (pun intended).
The idea was excellent, but poorly executed.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
This is certainly for children and children who like fantasies and adventures and books and who are patient enough to read so many pages that sometimes you'd think you're just going in circles. The story is interesting enough to make me finish the first book but not enough to make me read its sequels.
Helene Jeppesen
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Attention: I read this book as a library book and I only just realised that the book I have is only part 1! So this review is going to be of the first half of "Inkheart".
This was a truly magical story that I know I would've absolutely adored as a child. It's about a love for books, and it's about how we - as readers - step into a fictional world, and how this fictional world can sometimes come true. I loved this story; especially the first 150 pages where the characters and setting are introduc
Kathryn
A wonderful, imaginative story. The characters are so vivid, the tale so engaging, the prose so poetic... A glorious tale for anyone who ever dreamed of being transported into the stories she reads, or of having friends from the tales brought into our world!

On her website, author Cornelia Funke says,
"I didn't suspect that this story would grow untill it could fill more than one book. I have dreamed for a long time of writing a story in which characters from a book come into our world. Which book
Patricija - ReadOff
First read: 2009 approx.
Second read: 2019.

When I first read this, I was 12. My English teacher recommended it to me. I am 22 now, as I am rereading this. I loved it so much. From the characters, the plot, the old fashioned writing. I'm reading the sequel now, as a part of my O.W.L.s and I love the sequel even more.

full RTC.

Queezle
Dec 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
I have no idea why people like this book. Where is the character developement, the intrigue, the plot? It's like a lump. After I read it, I thought back and couldn't even remember the storyline - it was too jumpy and mumbled. Not a good work of fiction.
bookczuk
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
My reading soul was battered and bruised, and a friend offered this book to me to help soothe the hurt. A lovely fantasy tale, with just enough villains and heroic folks to keep it balanced. You root for a happy ending and keep reading. Each chapter starts with a quote from a beloved children's classic, so you get to visit old friends on the journey through the story.

A few passages helped assure me how much the author really does love books and all they represent. Meggie, tired and distressed at
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't say that I've ever read a book like this one before, and the idea of a power that allows people to bring fictional characters to life is something that I think most authors wish they possessed. I really liked this book, at first I wasn't expecting much from it but it turned out to be phenomenal.
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
As much as I hate to say it, but this book is really boring. I love children's books and read Harry Potter and His Dark Materials several times. Inkheart disappointed me. I never stop reading a book until I read at least 100 pages, to give an author a chance to develop a story. Unfortunately, I had to stop reading this book after page 150. It is extremely slowpaced and uneventful. It is surprising to know that kids actually have enough patience to finish and thoroughly enjoy this book. Maybe it' ...more
Celeste
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full review now posted!

Is there anything more magical than a book literally coming to life?

“Books have to be heavy because the whole world’s inside them.”

For Meggie, books have always been the hub around which her life spins. Her dad, Mo, is a book doctor, rebinding books that have seen better days. Books are what the two bond over, are what they decorate their home with, and are how they relate to the world around them. But Mo has never ever read aloud to his daughter, that she can remember, an
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite fantasy / middle grade books as it is totally gripping from start to finish and very fun to read. I loved the creative story and the characters.
Kelly Brigid ♡
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ah, what a great ending to a lovely book. It really is a shame I just left this sitting on my shelf for at least 3 years! :p
Ann
Alaina
This was such a fun audio to listen to while at work today!

Inkheart was, again, a pretty interesting and entertaining audio book. Even though it did get little boring here and there the multiple POV's definitely saved me from being bored to death at work. Mo and Meggie were simple adorable. I loved their relationship so much. Plus being surrounded by all of those books sounds like a dream come true.

One night, someone from her dad's past comes into their life. Dustfinger was a character that I co
Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-room, favorites
Inkheart is the best young adult targeted fantasy novel that I have read since the Harry Potter series. Cornelia Funke has crafted a wonderful, if a bit dark, storyline filled with colorful and memorable characters, both hero and villain. I liked the blend of modern day with fantasy in this story and having the magical element of being able to read characters out of their individual stories was brilliant.

The storyline itself moves along nicely as Meggie and her father, Mo, go on an adventure bot
R.F. Gammon
*shrieks*

That was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

A book about book appreciation! The brilliance of characters! One that acknowledges that yes, authors are weird, but we aren't wackos (at least not all the time)! One that deals with wonderful parent-child relationships and is just oh-so-beautiful. The prose, the characters...all of it. I have finally found a good book, y'all (and what are the odds that it would be in the middle grade section? *sighs* I'm about ready to give up on YA...).

Some m
Mike (the Paladin)
Excellent book (haven't seen the movie). A youth book, I looked forward to getting the sequels and grabbed them as soon as they were available.

Dropping back to add this.

I'm surprised how different tastes can be. I really liked this book (and its sequels)and was very surprised to see the negative reviews. I didn't find the book ever dragged and while I did find the characters annoying at times, it was within the context of the story and not as "annoyingly written characters".

For a youth book I'd
Francesca Stubbs
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this in elementary school and loving it! I’ll have to read this with my own son one day!
Books2Movies Club: * Inkheart - book and movie 2 10 Jun 06, 2019 09:25AM
It's okay.... 5 7 May 22, 2019 12:08AM
Floral Tea Cups B...: 'Inkheart' by Cornelia Funke 1 1 Mar 26, 2019 09:04PM
Does anyone else find this disappointing? 50 413 Mar 16, 2019 07:57PM
Clean Books for L...: INKHEART--- Chapters 1-5 13 12 Jan 23, 2019 10:06AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Inkheart [Jun 5, 2018] 21 41 Jul 04, 2018 08:53AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Speak
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Water Mirror (Dark Reflections, #1)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • Song of the Wanderer
  • Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2)
  • City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2)
  • East (East, #1)
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
  • Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4)
  • Dragon's Breath
  • Lady Friday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #5)
  • The Tenth Power
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Island of the Aunts
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.

Inkworld (3 books)
  • Inkspell
  • Inkdeath
66 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them.” 2855 likes
“If you take a book with you on a journey," Mo had said when he put the first one in her box, "an odd thing happens: The book begins collecting your memories. And forever after you have only to open that book to be back where you first read it. It will all come into your mind with the very first words: the sights you saw in that place, what it smelled like, the ice cream you ate while you were reading it... yes, books are like flypaper—memories cling to the printed page better than anything else.” 2190 likes