Start by marking “Playing with Fire (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Playing with Fire (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #5)

Read Book

Playing with Fire

(Daniel Jacobus Mystery #5)

The latest Daniel Jacobus mystery holds a mirror to the glittery facade of the concert world, delving into the multimillion-dollar sleight-of-hand of violin dealing . . . "
When an anxious phone call from obscure violinmaker Amadeo Borlotti disturbs Daniel Jacobus's Christmas Eve festivities, he and his dear friends Nathaniel and Yumi make light of it. A seemingly humble
Published September 1st 2016 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Playing with Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing with Fire

Fran
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Playing With Fire" is a whodunit revolving around music, murder and arson.

Daniel Jacobus, concertmaster, has lost his vocation due to sudden blindness. His senses of hearing, smell and touch have been heightened. He possesses an acute memory. On Christmas Eve, Jake receives a desperate phone call from a small-time violin repairman named Amadeo Borlotti. Borlotti wants to confer with Jacobus immediately despite a heavy snowstorm. Jake insists that the meeting take place on Christmas Day instead.
Danielle Tremblay
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystère, thriller
Daniel Jacobus, the blind MC of this story, seems to be a cross between Ebenezer Scrooge (the grumpy guy in the Christmas story) and Sherlock Holmes. Grouchy characters have always made me smile, unless they are also cruel, which is not the case of the main character. And since I do not really like unexpected visitors myself, I fully understand that he postponed Amadeo Borlotti's visit to the next day. But, as you surely expect, (view spoiler) ...more
Jeff Wong
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fifth Daniel Jacobus murder mystery related in some fashion to classical music and the stringed instruments related to its performance. This is a quick, relatively easy read that is entertaining. For fans of Elias’s first four books, I was a bit disappointed as this story seemed to be a little less twisting-turning than I perceived his first efforts were. Nonetheless, enjoyed it.
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, mystery, fiction
enjoyable
Natalie
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Parts were compelling, though I had a hard time engaging with this mystery. I just didn't like the main character much.
Megan Temple
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book I was a bit confused and not very interested but the more I kept reading the more I enjoyed it. I've never been one who is big into music and instruments and since this book was based around that it was kind of hard for me to get myself engaged into the book. Once the mystery started to unfold however it became more and more interesting with more players involved and was overall a very well written interesting book.

This book is about a blind violinist name
Linden
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Daniel Jacobus, blind curmudgeon and violin teacher, delves into the world of musical instrument theft, counterfeiting, and the accompanying insurance fraud with the help of friends Nathaniel and Yumi. The wintry new England setting provides the perfect backdrop for arson, murder, and music.
Carole
What a terrific story. It is quite believable. I too have been given different provenance for my bow. Who knows? This is one of his best books. Much better than the last Quartet story.
I think any string player might enjoy it.
John Shelton
Nov 02, 2016
KarnagesMistress
Sep 29, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Tammy
Mar 01, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Add Book to Series List 2 14 Nov 22, 2017 08:50AM

• Dublin Dead   (Mulcahy, #2)
  • Murder at the Library of Congress (Capital Crimes, #16)
  • The Dark Frontier
  • The House of Death (Alexander The Great Mysteries #1)
  • The Overwhelmed Brain: Personal Growth for Critical Thinkers
  • The Black Rose Of Florence (Michele Ferrara, #5)
  • Pets on the Couch: Neurotic Dogs, Compulsive Cats, Anxious Birds, and the New Science of Animal Psychiatry
  • Nights of Awe
  • A Frightfully English Execution (Inspector Singh Investigates #7)
  • A Black Sail (Coleridge Taylor Mystery #3)
  • Downsizing the Family Home: What to Save, What to Let Go
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2010
  • A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #2)
  • Una brutta faccenda (Il commissario Bordelli #2)
  • Year of the Hyenas (Semerket, #1)
  • The Grain Brain Cookbook: More Than 150 Life-Changing Gluten-Free Recipes to Transform Your Health
  • Fox Is Framed (Leo Maxwell #3)
  • Wheat Belly 30-Minute (Or Less!) Cookbook: 200 Quick and Simple Recipes to Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
Shhh! I'll let you in on a little secret. I've been leading a double life. My award-winning Daniel Jacobus mystery series is set in the dark corners of the classical music world, of which I am intimately familiar as a former violinist with the Boston Symphony, associate concertmaster of the Utah Symphony and as a conductor, composer, and teacher. The first novel in the series, “Devil’s Trill,” was ...more

Daniel Jacobus Mystery (6 books)
  • Devil's Trill (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #1)
  • Danse Macabre (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #2)
  • Death and the Maiden (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #3)
  • Death and Transfiguration (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #4)
  • Spring Break (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #6)