Start by marking “Visions and Shadows (Vaalbara, #1)” as Want to Read:
Visions and Shadows (Vaalbara, #1)

Visions and Shadows

(Vaalbara #1)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
This book is no longer available.

How do you sleep while your planet is dying?
Where would you turn to when your world turns on you?
Have you lived a life worthy of being selected as a chosen one?
Or… were you one of those who treated me like a freak?
Where you one of those who lived a selfish life?
I can only take ten from this dying world.

My name is Alchera and I have to
Kindle Edition, Special Edition
Published September 29th 2009

To ask other readers questions about Visions and Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visions and Shadows

Conny
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first review of a book and this one really deserves it. The first thing I have to say is that I honestly bought it because I've read that the character Ryan/Raighne is based on Ian Somerhalder, which I adore as an actor and as an human being. I've been afraid that the story might be some teenie-crap but here's the truth:

I love this book. I've devoured this book. I couldn't stop reading it once I've started and I have literally have lived every single word written in it.

I cannot even c
Amy Lignor
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aislinn is our heroine - Ryan our hero. Yet, all readers should know that those are the names that will only be spoken in the normal, everyday world of high school. Aislinn is famous for her sarcasm. In fact, this writer found her to be a soul mate considering that sarcasm (as Jon Stewart has shown) is really the language that America best understands. Aislinn is normal, per se, but she has always felt like there was something far grander out there for her that she could feel in her soul, yet co ...more
Pamela Lilley
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. Loved this book so much. Not really sure where to start. A fantasy adventure romance, that takes you between Earth and Vaalbara. It follows 18 year old Alchera and her family in her quest to build a new world. A beautifully written book that makes you wish with all your heart that the world we live in today was a better place. There is of course the love interest, her super hot guardian Raighne, and the sexual tension between them both is palpable, will they, won't they? Wonderful story t ...more
Johann
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not yet had the privilege to read the entire book, although I was honored to see some insights. So for me to comment on the book at this stage would be unfair.

However I have got the enormous privilege of knowing Michelle the author as a friend. I admire her work, her passion and excitement when sharing this project. I remember the first time she told me about it. Although it was via Facebook I could feel the energy and excitement.

The author of this book is an extraordinary person, and th
Rickie Shaver
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished, Loved it I was sucked into it immediately and couldn't put it down!!! I have to say I have not wanted to read a book so much since twilight. The character dynamic did not turn out exactly the way I would have done it but either way the book rocked! Curious to see what her next book will be like.
Conny
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
I'm looking at the world with different eyes ... this book makes me think a lot.
Dan Wright
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst I don’t try and give away too much in my reviews, in terms of important plot points and that stuff, in order to do a rounded review, I will be mentioning some plot points. So before I start, just beware that this review does contain some spoilers.

Aislinn is a young teenage girl that is kind of an outcast in her society – what with no real parents to speak of and with a rather disturbing talent of being able to see into the future. She thinks that her luck is in when she meets a handsome n
Bryanna
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Vaalbara: Visions and Shadows (Vaalbara #1)
Author: Michelle Horst
Website: http://michellehorstauthor.wordpress....

Rating: 4.5/5

Vaalbara: Visions and Shadows is a spectacular young-adult fantasy novel that combines danger, mystery, romance, and thrill into a fast-paced, action-packed book. Ms. Horst is a brilliant author who brings that magical land of Vaalbara to life bursting with vivid colours, images, and much more to meet the eye.

Aislinn Calder the main character is a beautiful six
Eva Patricia Erkinger
What can I say about this book...?!
First of all, I fell in love with it as soon as I started the first lines. A good friend of mine intruduced me to VVS and I thought I could give it a try. Now I'm happy she did.

I didn't know what I should expect from this story. I think the sum isn't telling you anything about the actual story, but it's fascinating how a young girl named Aislinn/Alchera became such an importaint character. She is definetly young in her way, but such a grown up in others. She n
Sarah Baethge
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like end of the world books
Shelves: reviewed
Vaalbara: Visions & Shadows by Michelle Horst is an exciting tale that focuses on the 18 year-old Aislinn as she comes to realize that nothing about her life is quite the way she has long accepted it to be. Aislinn is an interesting character who finds herself with no past, at least not until she was found alone at the age of 13. She has no close friends (unless you count an imaginary platypus), an incurable stutter, and a general dark outlook on life. Unexpectedly, one day she finds hersel ...more
Frank Tibbetts
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vaalbara: Visions and Shadows, is one of the most beautiful, imaginative books I have ever read!
Misfit, Aislinn, cannot seem to find her place in the world as we know it. Obsessed with the safety and security of her waterfall, it is the only place that she can be at peace. Although she can read palms and write poetry, she is considered a freak.

One day, a handsome young man by the name of Ryan appears at school and he is immediately taken with Aislinn, whom everyone alienates. As the two seem de
Liza
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You read the book. You step back. And you look at life differently from this moment on.

This book shut me up-- while reading and after reading. Vaalbara gave me a breath of fresh air. I felt the vivid descriptions. Michelle's way with words are amazing and you can really read how much she put her head on this while making the story.

Vaalbara is a new world I left my heart in. I have totally felt every detail that Michelle has worded this book. I love how the characters were made into life. First
Dana
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What to say about a book like this???

I never wrote a review on a book, but this one deserves 6 stars instead of those possible 5 stars and because of this I write a review.
Wow, this book took me far away to Vaalbara and when I close my eyes I'm sill with all those wonderful characters I fell in love with!
Aislinn/Alchera is a very disarming person and I shared all her tears, sorrows and laughter with her. And of chourse I loved with her! Raighne was our hero, our light in the dark, our... everyth
Rachel Marks
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally, I tend to go with YA paranormal romances but occasionally I step out my comfort zone and read something different. I heard about Vaalbara: Visions and Shadows from a fellow blogger. Just from her description of this YA Fantasy I was excited to read it. In all honesty it has been a long time since I have been fully captivated with a book like I was with this one.

What I think I loved most about this book was how vivid the world was the Michelle Horst created. With the actual descriptions
Melissa Cheslog
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Captivating! Action Packed! Exciting! Beautiful! Suspenseful! Well-Written! I absolutely loved this book. I was instantly drawn into this story of Aislinn a teenage girl trying to get through high school when suddenly there is a new boy in school and he is interested in her. She has been known as a "freak" since being found in the woods five years before. The town psychic predicted that she would one day save people and be a hero. She has been a loner with no friends living in the basem ...more
Robyn
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So happy that I follow Ian Somerhalder on Twitter, or else I wouldn't have even known about Vaalbara. What had me curious in the first place was an article in which the author of Vaalbara, the lovely Michelle Horst, said that she based Ryan/Raighne off of Ian Somerhalder. And as a huge fan of his, I felt obligated to investigate =) And I am so glad I did.

As a reader, I love nothing more than a story that "takes you there," where you can see and hear the characters and the world around them. That
Ladyofthelibrary
Well my dear Michelle you have out done yourself!! I fought it, I really did. I wanted to make this book last. At first it was easy to take in one chapter at a time. Meeting Aislinn and Ryan. Getting to know them everything. Then we get to Vaalbara and I still feel like I'm doing well. Little by little. About 50% of the way through the book.... Whoosh. Michelle Horst takes you on one hell of a ride!! Fast pace, colorful characters, and amazing emotion that just seeps through the pages. You want ...more
Gina
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent story filled with conflict, adventure and romance. I absolutely loved it. But, oh, the editing issues. Tons of misspelled words, misplaced or missing punctuation, and other grammatical errors made reading burdensome. I literally had to keep putting the book down because of the errors that made my head hurt but I would always pick it up again to see what would happen next. I hope the author continues writing but hires a decent editor for proofing in the future. She has great ...more
Amy Rogers
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute gem! I don't even know where to start. This isn't the typical genre of books that I normally read but I gave it a try. Wow! It truly blew me away! It touched my heart and became one of my all time favorite books! Michelle really hit the ball out of the park with this one! I fell in love with Alchera and Raighne! His commitment and their journey is like no other! Oh and I can't forget about Sid! Do not hesitate! Go and one click this gem and fall in love with such a amazing book and a ...more
Drika Bothma
I loved this book. It took you to a place where you can escape the real life and is an book that you cant put down. Kids and husband must get their own food if they want to eat. Unique outlook and nothing like any book that I have read and you get to live through the ups and downs with the characters.
Kristine Mcginnis
Everyone should read this!
This book really is amazing!! I was immediately attached to the characters and the overall story. Michelle Horst is an amazing writer and I can not wait until the sequel is re-released so that I can continue the story!
Andrea Gee-petronella
This book was Amazing. I am waiting on pins and needles for the second one! Every page in this book had me captivated and wanting more! Thank you for writing such an amazing story. This book got me thru a really hard time and that speaks volumes. Amazing!!!!!!
Kevin Breaux
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not read YA, Twilight or the likes. But I can tell when talent is arriving to the playing ground. This is a great start to a new authors career. I think lovers of YA will enjoy, so spread the word. I hope to see the author branch out to other genres as well. Congratz.
Jill S (Love Affair With Fiction)
Michelle horst's Vaalbara Visions and Shadows was a wondrous book that took me to a whole new world! Full review to come shortly.
Brittany Ozmore
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this story!!! Can't wait to read more! I'm giving it 4 stars because there was a lot of editing errors. If that was fixed I would give it 5 stars!
alicia mata
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Great characters in the book. it's like the ugly duckling story. you felt bad for the main character but you knew something good was going to happen
Nathalie Werner
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this very special book! I don't even know yet what to say... My mind is still dwelling in Vaalbara... I have no idea when it will catch up with me again. But I will try anway...

I loved Alchera/Aislin from the very first second... I suffered with her, I was happy with her, I cried with her and loved with he (Hello? Isn't Raighne one of the loveliest heroes ever???)... It's rare that an author can draw me into another character that much. But it wasn't just Alchera I was dr
MizzSandie
I only read the amazon sample of this, but that was enough to show me that this book is not for me. Writing is terrible and so far the story way too predictable and all the charaters are caricatures: freaky outcast with 'mysterious' powers ( why dont i care?), new extremely hot guy shows interest in freak girl, popular cheerleader girls dont like freak girl, and yadda yadda yadda and on it goes. Actually i am glad the sample wasnt longer: because whatever is to come storywise it doesnt make up f ...more
Michelle Picarella
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I must say, this is high fantasy at its finest. It is a rare gem to come across a modern publisher with such a pure fantasy core while being blessed with a gift for wording the story in a manner that makes you think you are reading one of the great authors of all time.
The love for nature- the total appeal of this book grabs a hold of your soul and refuses to let you go until you finish. I cannot wait to read what comes next from Michelle Horst.
Carrie
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Vaalbara Visions and Shadows is for FREE!!! 1 4 Sep 14, 2012 02:42AM
  • Tundra 37 (A New Dawn, #2)
  • Livian
  • Tortured Soul (Mercy's Angels, #3)
  • Starless Nights (Hale Brothers, #2)
  • Steamfate
  • Beasts of New York
  • Light (Dream Casters, #1)
  • I See You
  • A Thread in the Tangle (Legends of Fyrsta #1)
  • Gold Manor Ghost House
  • Nineteen (Love by Numbers, #1)
  • Limbo's Child
  • Pentimento
  • By Way of Autumn
  • Eville
  • Hoax
  • House of Shadows (House of Shadows #1)
  • Magnus Opum
Please find me under my new profile Michelle Heard.

This profile is no longer being used.

Michelle Heard is a Bestselling Romance Author who loves creating stories her readers can get lost in. She loves an alpha hero who is not afraid to fight for his woman.

Want to be up to date with what’s happening in Michelle’s world? Sign up to receive the latest news on her alpha hero releases, sales, and great

Vaalbara (3 books)
  • The Land of Shadows (Vaalbara, #2)
  • A Light in the Shadows (Vaalbara, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
“~ Faith lightens the path your shadowed mind has to walk ~” 16 likes
“Time…
Once it’s gone, it belongs to the past.
We do not hold on to the now, and
We do not treasure the future…
We keep receiving this present, but we never open and cherish it until it is too late.
Until it comes no more.”
6 likes