Start by marking “Jeremy: Evil Has One Name - A Horror Novella” as Want to Read:
Jeremy: Evil Has One Name - A Horror Novella

Jeremy: Evil Has One Name - A Horror Novella

An eleven year old schoolboy shouldn't find his life complicated. Jeremy does.
Jeremy is a normal young boy. His father is a successful business man, and often spoils the boy with lavish, expensive rewards to compensate for their lack of quality time together. His mother is a socialite who feeds off her husband's healthy income; she spends more time at the salon than with
Published December 12th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Jeremy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jeremy

Start your review of Jeremy: Evil Has One Name - A Horror Novella
Mort
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad, but nothing really memorable for me here.
I will give the author another shot in the future.
Andrew Lennon
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First things first, a quick disclosure. I have worked closely with this author on other projects. Please note that this in no way reflects on my review. If anything, this would make me more critical on his work.

I loved this book, part 1 in a brilliant coming of age drama, a powerful story of a neglected child who is bullied at school, until one day something happens and it changes him.

Part 2 is all out crazy, the contrast from part 1 is so great that they blend together perfectly. I don't want
J.C. Brennan
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Evil is unspectacular and always human. It shares our bed and eats at our table.”
~W. H. Auden
What does evil look like?
Would you recognize it if it stood before you?
Now think of what it would take for you to cross the thin line between good and evil?
Jeremy is an ordinary eleven-year-old boy. He doesn't cause problems, is shy, and get good grades. But he is continuously ignored by his wealthy parents, given gifts instead of attention. When he begins to get bullied at school by much bigger boys
The Grim Reader
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great novella.

A very decent novella from Matt Hickman about a boy who is bullied at school. The boy, Jeremy, is involved in a fight and wakes up in hospital after the incident forever changed. Some good character development and a well-paced read-Jeremy works well right up until the crazy ending. I liked this quite a bit. Hickman didn't rush to the crazy stuff, but kept the narrative flowing and interesting. The ending was brutal and its always nice when loathsome characters get what they
Mandy
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jeremy. Oh Jeremy...
What a fantastic solo debut from Matt Hickman, this was such a page turner for me...very intense and emotional.
I rarely write reviews (this is only my 3rd) and never will I right away. A book has to linger with me until the words form and I find myself making notes. Then I just have to give the kudos.
This book is basically 2 parts, part 1 is drama. Gut wrenching drama. Jeremy is only 11 years old and from an upper class family. What should have been a childhood of privilege
Shadow Girl
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jeremy is a pretty normal eleven year old, but things are about to change.

His parents are virtually absent in his life, and his home is a lonely place to be. He doesn’t want for material possessions, all he really wants is his parents time and affection.
Instead they spoil him with expensive gifts to compensate for not spending any time with him. His dad’s priority is his work, and he is rarely home – working late or off on another business trip. His mom considers him to be nothing but a
christina cooper
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Is Jeremy Evil?

This was quite an interesting read, I spent most of it feeling very sorry for poor Jeremy. Then something happens that puts Jeremy into a coma...Could Jeremy have developed a way to implement coercive persuasion? During a coma it is common to experience sleep disruption, reorganization of brain chemistry, aggression and definite personality inconsistencies...
Whatever it is that happened to Jeremy, you don't want to meet him but you DO want to read his tale by M. Hickman.
Nev Murray
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Matt Hickman certainly seems to have a talent for this writing lark. It’s not just all about the horror stuff either. He builds good characters and gets you inside their heads from the outset. He clearly defines between the good and the evil and can write both equally well. I reckon I might pick more up from this fella."

See here for the full review:

Jeremy

Chrissy Sandoval
matt Hickman has hit it out of the park with this book. Kids are creepy enough but Jeremy takes it to a whole new level. The ending leaves you wanting so much more. Matt has a great future ahead of him.
 Reading Divergence
Well-done! I didn't at all expect the twist!! Author Hickman makes the story very vivid (especially in the visions) as well as very visceral. The twists alone would make a great story, so it's doubly exciting. I very much anticipate Matt Hickman' s next--and future-project.
Dawn
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eleven-year-old Jeremy is a smart kid. He gets good grades in school and has a couple of close friends. What many people don’t know about him is that he’s bullied in school and lives a life filled with neglect from his parents. He’s an only child so other than his friends, he has no one.

After one of the bullies attacks Jeremy and his friend outside of school, Jeremy is hit by a car and ends up in a coma. When he wakes up, he’s changed, and not in a good way.

If I’m perfectly honest, this isn’t my
Keith Chawgo
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Interesting novella from New horror author

Matt Hickman is a name to watch in the upcoming new breed of horror that is arising. His attention to detail and character development is exceptional for a new author.

The novella starts every well building scope and plot development are very strongly establish. The book does suddenly shift gears and might have been able to handle this in novel form. Saying that, it does in no way take away from the main pleasure of the story, just a way to improve.

It
Becky Messer
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A powerful force in a small boy

This story is very well written. It builds up anticipation till the ending and the ending does not disappoint. I really enjoyed reading this story about a bullied boy who has a life changing accident. I found myself feeling really bad for Jeremy, then it's almost as if fate strikes and everything changes. Jeremy would be a great character to make a complete series with. I hope to hear more about him In the future. Also, I will be watching for more from this author.
Debbie Lyon
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first chance I have had to read Matt Hickman. After hearing so many good things about his writing. I was not disappointed.

This story flows very well. It's a rare breed of writer than can take several stories and weave them them all into one. Matt is that rare breed.

Maybe Jeremy is the next Hannibal. I'm not certain who would be considered more evil but I certainly hope to see more of this character in future stories.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book from beginning to end and
Frankie Yates
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent debut for Matt and I expected no less! He's an incredible author and 'Jeremy' was a gripping read, I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed the ending, there was a nice little twist which I didn't see coming and I was kept entertained throughout the whole book. A well deserved 5 stars!
Keith Norman
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matts debut novel follows an innocent quiet schoolboy who becomes the victim of the school bully who makes it his task to victimise Jeremy. That is until one day he is forced to fight back and that's where he changed forever. The second half of the book takes a dark turn and I didn't expect the sinister ending. A very disturbing yet enjoyable read. Great work.
Darren Dilnott
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Matt Hickman has to be congratulated for writing an absolute corker of a book. I read it in one sitting which is a rare thing for me. The storyline flowed seamlessly, and the fantastic characters, made this tale of evil a great experience. I look forward to reading more of his work.
Colin Buckland
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Builds up quite nicely from the introduction into Jeremy's miserable young life up to the point where hell is let loose is horrific bloody fashion. Finished in a way that clearly leaves the door open for a follow on or two, I hope.
Sharon
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Jeremy is one scary kid. This is fairly short story and left me wondering what is going to happen next.

I'm looking forward to the next adventure.
Jack Rollins
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always like to disclose any connections I have to the author of the books I review, and to remind you that when I read something other than in the capacity of an editor, I read and review in the capacity of a customer, who either enjoys it or doesn't. My writer friends know this, and I expect honesty from them and they can expect it from me. Matt Hickman and I have become friends via Facebook and are set to meet in person around Em-Con 2016. Matt has placed stories with my publishing house ...more
Michael
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There a lot of great horror novels coming out from across the pond and we can add Jeremy to that growing list. Matt's debut novella is the kind of book you read and it stays with you long after you finish it. It's brutal reality based horror that links together bullying and alienation to tell a story that is utterly terrifying and brutal. As you read it you're sucked into the story and you actually can relate to Jeremy and can understand how lonely he feels. We have known kids like Jeremy and ...more
Helen Lancaster Lancaster
Brilliant!!!

A great horror story that starts off so placid and ends so gruesome. Jeremy is being bullied in school and he has no one to turn to. His parents give him everything he wants except love. The bullying gets worse and eventually Jeremy and three of his mates get suspended from school. While on suspension he visits Samuel and the two lads hang out together. As Samuel is walking Jeremy home they meet one of the bullies who attacks Samuel. Jeremy gets panicked and tries to help by jumping
Joan
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This author has a great career ahead of him. I had read his short stories but this is Hickman's debut novella and what a debut. Jeremy is being bullied in school and due to a unfortunate meeting with his bully he ends up in a coma. When he wakes from his coma, he is no longer the same person. The new Jeremy is not someone you would want to meet. You just know terrible thing are going to happen There is graphic violence and sex in this book so if you are a prude or not a fan, don't read this ...more
M Rose
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: butterfly
Just...wow!! Directed to this author by Matt Shaw, another awesome find! I bought this & had it finished in one long sitting, only taking breaks to go smoke...and it took everything in me to put it down for those terrible 4 minutes....
Jeremy certainly got what a lot of us could only wish to have.
Gore, creepiness, good flow, great descriptions, a bit of sex...a perfect concoction for the horror/gore lovers.
Lynsey Farmer
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016

Jeremy is a really strong novella the plot and the characters kept me reading. Really enjoyed the character driven first section of the book I liked how the second part was utter craziness but it didn't lose sight of the plot. I'm looking forward to reading a full story from Matt to see what he has in store for us next
Jackie
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant

Its a crime to miss this story from Matt Hickman, the writing is perfectly chilling I am sure we have more great things to come from this writer. Don't miss out.
alice loader
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Well written and thoughtout book. Not too many typos which is refreshing. I hope this is the start of a new series. Highly recommended!
Kimberly
rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2016

• Scavenger Hunt
  • The Lost
  • Odd Man Out
  • Sleep Deprived
  • Sugar Daddy (Sugar Daddy #1)
  • What the Hell Did I Just Read (John Dies at the End, #3)
  • Wolf Hunt 3
  • This Book is Full of Bodies (The Shutter House Prequels #1)
  • Coconut Cowboy (Serge Storms, #19)
  • Offspring (Dead River, #2)
  • The Haunted Forest Tour
  • Last Orders (The Dublin Trilogy #3)
  • Postal