Start by marking “Cutting Through the Darkness” as Want to Read:
Cutting Through the Darkness

Cutting Through the Darkness

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
I am broken.
I am trapped in a sea of darkness with no way out.
I found him when I was at my worst, wondering if life was worth living.
He is everything I am afraid of.
Tall, handsome, strong.
He tries to piece me together and make me whole again.
But, I'm too broken, too lost.
I want to live, but fear consumes me.
There is a darkness that lingers no matter what I do.
ebook
Published June 28th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Cutting Through the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cutting Through the Darkness

Coco.V
Jul 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝FREE on Amazon today (7/16/2018)!💝

Blurb:
***WARNING***
This book does touch on some sensitive subjects, such as abuse and rape, and may contain triggers for some people. It is not meant for readers age 17 and under.

I am broken.
I am trapped in a sea of darkness with no way out.
I found him when I was at my worst, wondering if life was worth living.
He is everything I am afraid of.
Tall handsome, strong.
He tries to piece me together and me whole again.
But, I’m too broken, too lost.
I want to l
Jessi
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cutting Through the Darkness lives up to its title. This book deals with some very dark issues. The author wrote a very compelling story dealing with ways to deal with grief and our dark sides. Kat has gone through more in her short life than most people could handle. She deals with her pain by cutting her self. Her best friend Jess introduces her to Derek in hopes that he can help her finds different ways to deal with her pain.
I enjoyed this book and the story line/love story was great. The on
Tanaka K
Shelves: arcs, bdsm, short-reads
"When I’m in that place, there is only one thing that helps.  Only one thing that helps pull me from the darkness that threatens to take me from the living to the dead."

Cutting Through The Darkness is an emotional,raw and heartbreaking story written by Ivy Love. It is a story that truly makes you feel sad and even makes you cry a bit. Thus is my first book written by Ivy Love and I truly enjoyed. The book itself captivated me and I was really amazed at how devoured it.

Cutting Through the Darknes
Terra James
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me say first this book was extremely sad, but it had a lot of love and happiness in it. Kat and Jess both struggle with their past. The darkness threatens to consume them. They find two men who help them learn to fight it, without doing harm to themselves. They are set on a path of self destruction from an early age. Kat finally find her happiness with Derek and he makes her life worth living again. Ian has done the same for Jess.

There is a tragic turn in this book. It made me cry. I screame
Elizabeth Clinton
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ivy Love has written a book that is Emotional, Raw, Heartwarming , Heartbreaking and A Book that will have you reaching for the tissues without a doubt.
Kat a young woman who has overcome so many traumatic issues from her past but still struggles with some darker issues that she never thinks will go away. Jess her best friend who always has her best interest introduces her to the one man who might help her get through it all.
Derek a attorney but also a Dom feels that Kat is a woman worth helping
Maria Weeks
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a super read on a sensitive subject and I was totally hooked within the first few pages.

Kat's story was on a subject I have little knowledge of and is, I would imagine, quite difficult to write about, but it was done with heart wrenching beauty.

Ivy delves into Kat's mind and describes her thoughts, feelings and pain in such a way you find yourself turning the pages and hoping that this young, dark soul finds her way back to the light.
She meets Derek, who fights his way to the route of h
L.J. Sexton
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an emotional ride. The author truly poorer her heart into this story.
I really could identify with the struggle of these characters. Each of these Characters, Kat and Jess's stories rip my heart out!

I highly recommend this book. I give it five fabulous stars.
Tyi
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Darkness

I don't know what to make of the ending... Don't get me wrong. I loved the story but the ending was WOW. The author didn't paint a pretty picture especially when it came to Jess and Kat's lives. I hope there is more. I hope there will be another book for Ian. He sure as hell needs it.
Karen Voitik
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
>Book review - Cutting through the Darkness

>I am an independent reviewer. This is a standalone novel which may have a few triggers for some readers. Kat and Jess are roommates who are cutters. Jess meets Ian and finds another outlet for her issues, rather than cutting. Jess introduces Kat to a Dom, Derek, in a bid to help her stop cutting as well. On the surface, this book could be about BDSM and how pleasure can balance out pain, especially in a personality type that needs pain. Beneath t
Tiffany Landers
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! Ivy love blew me away with this very, very sensitive subject and a somewhat taboo subject of things only talked about in hushed tones in the corner of the room while everyone else is having fun.

Five stars to the author just for tackling such a difficult and sensitive subject.

**Warning**

This book may trigger those of you who have had experience with cutting, molestation, rape and more. I do not suggest this book be read by anyone who is under the age of 18, nor by anyone who is a cutter, as
Diane Holtry
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Words can not adequately describe the emotions that Ivy Love is able to convey throughout this book. She makes you feel each and every one to your very core. The topics dealt with in this book are dark but oh so real in this world that can be so cruel and ugly.
Through the eyes of hurt and pain something new pushes to take shape. Hope takes hold when other avenues are sought. Friendships and bonds are formed.
But as you approach the end, everything that you thought you knew will be revealed as hal
Juliana Ignácio
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book is very sad, but it's a very well written story. I missed to know a little more about the characters.
I liked the story's development, as Derek was able to help Kat get out of the darkness, but at the same time, I thought things happened very fast between them.
And about Jesse and Ian, I'd like to know a little more about their life together.
And the end, which twist! I still can't believe what happened, but I think it makes a lot of s
EroticaAfterDark (Lilith)

BDSM
Elizabeth Cash
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

Ok, let me rephrase that! HOLY WOW!

This is the first book I have read by Ivy Love, and I swear it broke me to pieces just to make me whole again. I absolutely loved this story, from beginning to end. Each chapter giving you more and more to look forward too. The back story of Kat is devastating and truly sad, but watching her transform and find a different outlet is just amazing. She finds happiness and love, which makes this heart breaking story worth the tears and totally worth the read.

I
Jackie Hawkins
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG This was an amazing book!! It was well written and kept me so interested I never wanted to put it down. I love that the chapters were written from different characters POV. You will never believe the ending!! Definitely suggest this book to all!!
Jenae (Jeni)
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very intense story, somewhat dark. Well written and I loved it, just wasn't expecting so much emotional turmoil in myself. Would recommend it to anyone who can handle dark, emotionally challenging books.
Shanene Wayne
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending

This book talks about real life and the truth about mental illness issues which are very serious but it shows that you can persevere through the pain and sometimes the darkness is a bitch to deal with
Carissa Janes
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is dark, dark, dark. I would rate it closer to a 3.5 than a 4, but there's a lot of potential with the book. The prologue opens with Jess telling us her background story, and she has had it rough. Then Kat starts telling us about her coping mechanisms to help her get through her rough times. Then the story begins...

The story mainly focuses on Kat and Derek. Kat and Jess were roommates, and Jess seemed to find something she was seeking at the Sugar & Spice club, and she thinks Derek
Ayekah
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! The title of this book makes the declaration of the story. The book opens and we meet Kat, self destructing and she is a cutter. She often refers to her "darkness", which read to me is the place she is at or dwells in inside.... someplace out of the light. We meet her best friend, Jess too who has her own history as well. Jess is now in a relationship with Ian, who she met at a BDSM club. Jess is so worried about Kat, she talks to Ian and his best friend Derek and Derek decides to intervene ...more
Juana Sperr
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two women whose lives were hell managed to find each other. What they have in common is cutting themselves. This stems from tragic issues that they each endured in their teenage lives. Jess has found a man Ian, who has helped her direct her cutting and the pain into another direction, which appeared to be working, from what Kat could see she looked happy. Jess knows that Kat is still having trouble, so she introduces her to Dereck, he like Ian is a experienced Dom. Derek and Kat have a great con ...more
Selena Lanovara-scott
Kat is Barely living Shes barely holding on to life. Being Raped is her first sexual experience on her bday. She couldnt handle the pain or the lies that would be told she was young and ran away from the only Person she had and know. Then to have it happen again on the same date is crushing. Running away from demons again landed her with Jess her only friend who also had secrets and pain of her own. Together they were supporting of each others demons but NOT helping in solving the pain. Till Jes ...more
Johnna Canter
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where do I start! Overall, it was a wonderful book. It is wonderfully written with a great storyline. It really taps into your emotions. Ivy does a wonderful job of getting you into the characters in the book. It is such a sad story. You hate to see this happen to anyone in their life. It just yanks at you heart. I love the way that Kat finally finds someone who she can open up to and talk too about what has happened to her in her past. I feel like there is so much more there that needs to be to ...more
Rebecca Austin
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-blood
Jess and Kat have been best friends since they were 18 years old and bonded over terrible childhoods and deep dark secrets.

When Jess introduces Kat to Derek she hopes that he will help her climb out of her darkness and change her methods of coping with her pain.

But sometimes the darkness is just too overwhelming.

Wow - this was definitely a dark story dealing with some issues that are not covered much in society yet is a big problem with many people. I like how Kat and Jess have each other and t
Teri Donaldson
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very powerful book! Cutting is very real and Ivy Love really took great care with the subject and offered an interesting way to deal with it.
I was not that familiar with Domination until reading this book. It opened my eyes to a different way to find love.
This book dealt with some very raw situations and is not for the faint of heart. While a fairly quick read, it has left a lasting impact on me.
Without sharing any spoilers, I must say that I was moved to tears when nearing the final pages. Wh
Misty Walker
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very serious and sad quick read that touches issues a lot of people deal with. I felt like a whole new light was being shown on bdsm and maybe some therapies it could provide.

There was very sweet insta-love that I really reading. Derek seemed to be such a regimented man that was thrown off course.

I really wish that I had gotten more from the storyline. It is such an incredible idea with sooo much content just waiting to be told. I hope that there is a book 2 that can expand on some of the plot
Claudia
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book really touches some tough subjects. Jess and Kat are lucky to have each other for support as well as the men that help them through their struggles. I was surprised by the ending and wonder if there will be a follow up as to letting us know what happens next? A great read and introduction this author. I agree with some of the other reviews to that I felt that there is more to the story than was told and I do hope there will be a follow up as I can't see that the ending will go ove ...more
Belinda Visser
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cutting through the darkness is one emotional and sensitive read.
Kat and Jess are best friends with tragic circumstances pulling them into darkness which leads them to cutting and depression to deal with their emotional pain. Kat and Jess are on tragic paths until they meet Derek and Ian. These two amazing men have one mission and that is to bring light back to Kat and Jess lives and to deal with their emotional pain in a safe way.
I was gutted and in tears with the ending, it literally pulled my
Stacy Hahn
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cutting Through the Darkness was aptly named. This book follows two girls who had horrific pasts that led them to cutting in order to deal with their emotional pain. This brought them together as friends. It also led them to two amazing men who gave them a safe way to deal with their pain. This book has some very hot and sexy moments and some that will cut your heart out. This was a great book but may be hard for some to read due to the emotional and sensitive nature of this book. I'm hoping for ...more
Debra
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
What can I say this book was at times difficult to read. I loved seeing Kat open up to really letting go of her darkness .. Loved the fun side of Kat .. This book was true to self harming, I applaud the author at tackling such a difficult topic .. I'm saddened of the implied ending .. Love and acceptance is less hard to find with others , it's in our own soul that it's sometimes most difficult to obtain. We are our worst enemy !! Go Ivy for tackling this ❤
I hope Kat can make it thru
Misty Iputi
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The warning about covering sensitive subjects is there for a reason however it should also say tastefully done. This is a book that I personally had a hard time to read due to the warning as it scared me away. I read the book slowly and can say that the writing and the way Kat comes to life would make anyone wish there was a chance at happiness without the cutting.

I was given an ARC for a review.
I'm a proud indie author who in her spare time spends time writing about romance, murder and dipping her toes into dark romance & suspense.

Find me on Amazon: amazon.com/author/ivylove