Start by marking “Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella” as Want to Read:
Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella

Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  808 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
From the author of The Three Little Javelinas comes a Wild West retelling of the classic Cinderella fairytale, perfect for fans of Little Ree by Ree Drummond, Prince Cinders by Babette Cole, Cinder Edna by Ellen Jackson, and Red Riding Hood as retold by James Marshall.

Once upon a time, there was a sweet cowgirl named Cindy Ellen, who lived with the orneriest stepmother wes
Published April 26th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 2000)

The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeCinder Edna by Ellen JacksonAdelita by Tomie dePaolaYeh-Shen by Ai-Ling Louie
Cinderella Stories
107 books — 316 voters
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisEast of Eden by John SteinbeckMisery by Stephen KingGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith
Wicked Women
108 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS. I admit I am not much of a wild west gal, but the idea for this retelling intrigued me. I thought it was pulled off fairly well, and should definitely appeal to girls who aren't really into the "princess" tales. Cindy Ellen impresses her "prince" by winning ribbons in the rodeo! I wasn't wild about the illustrations, and a few time I wanted to groan with the cliches ("Meanwhile, back at the ranch...") but overall it was a cute renovation of the classic tale.
RLL22017-Mary
Cindy Ellen is a story based off the original Cinderella story. A western girl becomes a step sister to two mean sisters. The step mom and step sisters make her do everything because she's better than them. Cindy Ellen wants to go to a rodeo and her fairy godmother grants that wish for her, just as Cinderella's fairy godmother granted her wish to go to the ball. She dressed up in an appropriate outfit for the rodeo and went. After winning the competition at the rodeo, Cindy Ellen wants to go to ...more
Tessa Duncan
Cindy Ellen is a cowgirl who loves going to rodeos. Her stepsisters would never let her go, until she got a fairy godmother. Cindy wins the rodeo and gallops off before meeting the prince. She sees him the next night at the dance, but still he never gets her name. When she leaves her boot spur behind, the prince goes on a mission to find Cindy Ellen.
Taylor
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
This is no ordinary Cinderella story. You may have think you’ve heard the fairy tale of cinderella before but Susan Lowell puts a twist on it like you’ve never heard before! Between the imagery, similes,and laughs, Lowell recreates Cinderella with a Western twang that will have you laughing throughout. Read along and see how Cindy Ellen and her wild Western self soon find the perfect cowboy, with a little help from her very country fairy godmother.
I would use this book in my classroom when talk
Bridget
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is based of of Cinderella but with a western twist. Cindy Ellen's father remarried a crabby lady with two bratty girls and they treat Cindy like crap. When the richest rancher announces that he will host a three day rodeo and the winners reward is a large sum of money. Cindy Impresses everyone with her rodeo skills and on the third night at the dos-se-do she twirls the night away with the ranchers son. Midnight rolls around and she runs off and one of her diamond spurs falls off instea ...more
L11_Page
I did not care for this traditional tale of a wild west version of Cinderella. Every character seemed to be illustrated to look alike - male and female. The connection between Cindy Ellen losing her diamond spur as she runs away and Cinderella losing her glass slipper is almost too corny for me. Intended for ages 4-8, I might use it in my classroom for a compare/contrast lesson, possibly with a Venn diagram. There are so many other versions of this story with substance, such as Cinder Edna and C ...more
Mrs. Wynn
Goodness, did our kindergarten friends LOVE this book today. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for a book where I can give characters crazy accents--and this one fills the bill. Crank out your western fairy-godmother and Texas wicked stepmother accents. Yee-haw, a fun-filled romp through the Cinderella story, western version!
Emily A
This story is a spin off of the traditional take of Cinderella set in Mississippi. Cindy's dad is a rancher and married a mean second wife. The step sisters were mean to her despite Cindy being a good cow girl. They made fun of her and called her names. The highlight of the book is the appearance of the Fairy God mother. She's a funny, fast-talking pistol whipper who convinces Cindy to go to a Rodeo. Here, she mets the ranchers son, Joe Prince who is impressed by Cindy's riding abilities. She th ...more
Grace Lucchese
The book is cute spin off of the original cinderella story. Cindy Ellen is a sweet girl that experiences her father getting married to a mean woman with two mean daughters. Sweet Cindy Ellen faces the brunt of her new step mom and sisters and finds herself doing all of the chores on the ranch while her sisters do nothing. Just to her luck a wacky fairly godmother shows up to save the day and sends her off to an important rodeo where she fancy's Joe prince, the rich rancher's son. But as the fair ...more
Laura P
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
Cindy Ellen is a Wild West take on the traditional fairy tale, Cinderella. It is the story of a girl named Cindy Ellen who takes first place at the rodeo and steals the heart of Joe Prince. Young readers will find the way the fairy godmother talks to be humorous and different. This is a picture book which I use as a read aloud in a first grade classroom. It's a great story to read while reading the traditional version and noticing similarities and differences. My students typically complete a Ve ...more
Kat
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only picked up this book because as a child I believed that my mother’s full name, nickname Cindy, was Cinderella. I was crushed to discover otherwise. This turned out to be a darling book with so cute reimagining. Ironically the “ball” is a rodeo followed the next night by a square dance. My mother had a square dance for her wedding reception. I wonder if there is something she’s not telling me?
Natalie Hoist
Personally, I did not like this book at all. It was too hard to read because it had a lot of western accents in it that were confusing and it did not flow well. It was suppose to be a spin off of Cinderella but did not do a very good job of retelling it. However, this could be a good book to have in your classroom and compare it with other Cinderella books and do a compare and contrast type activity.
Liliya Rubanenko
A spin the classical Cinderella story set in the west. Cindy Ellen is a cowgirl living with her stepmother and stepsisters. When she decides to go to a rodeo, her fairy godmother helps her out with a little bit of magic. In the end, Cindy wins first place in the rodeo and marries Joe Prince. I would use this book when talking about different cultures and how we can all relate to each other using various Cinderella stories.

Genre: Traditional, Fantasy
Copyright: 2000
Katie
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lowell writes a fractured fairy tale version of the classic story of Cinderella by bringing her to the wild west. Many of the plot stays the same with evil stepsisters and an evil stepmother. The biggest changes to the story are the time and setting change which changes the vernacular used by the author. I think children from Pre-K to 2nd grade would enjoy this cook and could potentially be used as a lesson on the evolution of classic fairy tales.
Elizabeth Watkins
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edel-244
I thought this book was a good version of the Cinderella story, but it wasn't outstanding by any means. I would however use this in my classroom to relate other Cinderella stories and contrast how each are different in different cultures. The illustrations in this story were very bright and took up the whole page so children could really get into the story and visualize the text even if they have not been introduced into the wild west culture very much.
Haley Walker
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-l-307
This is a traditional literature book that tells the story of Cinderella in a western style. The magic, shoe, and sisters themes stayed the same through this new take of Cinderella. I wish more had been changed about the story. I would use this in a 2nd-5th grade class, and this book was published in 2001.
Hannah Achenbach
Cindy Ellen is a modern twist of the classic fairytale Cinderella. This new rendition of Cinderella is very creative and fun! I love that the setting takes place in the wild west and that all the characters are now cowgirls and cowboys. I would use this in my classroom library when discussing units about fairytales and folktales.
Tarin Cosby
This is another book that takes the classic Cinderella and makes a slightly different plot. The pictures were very well done. I think that this is a great book if you are trying to immerse children into a different type of culture or trying to find a book that children who own animals could relate to.
Myka Shetler
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit-18
Age: 3-4 grade
Genre: Modern Fantasy
I really liked this book. I love the traditional version of Cinderella and this book brings a new perspective of it. The new way of telling it is awesome. The western twist makes it fun and lighthearted. The twists on characters that we though we knew makes you appreciate this book and the original book even more.
Stevie Cupp
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
A cute retelling of the popular Cinderella. I enjoy the little twist on it, she goes to a rodeo instead of a ball, her godmother doesn't make her a dress but instead gives her a cool set of "duds". It was for sure a modernized story of Cinderella, and I'm sure a child somewhere would be able to relate to some of the trials that Cindy Ellen has to go through.
Evan Roberts
This is a modern twist on the classic fairy tale of Cinderella. This is about Cinderella but instead of a king and queen era, it takes place in the west which is a very interesting concept something I never would have of thought of before. I think this book is worth a read it really does a good job of rejuvenating a fairy tale we all have learned.
Sierra Wishard
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-l-307
Copyright: 2001

Genre: Traditional Literature

Comment: A western cinderella story that is not like the ordinary. Cindy Ellen has a terrible step mother and two horrible step sisters. However, her fairy god mother grants her the most amazing diamond spurs that she looses after winning 1st place at the rodeo.

Used: A great book to show cultural differences between the books of cinderella.
Keri Rohr
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cindy Ellen is a hilarious twist on the classic Cinderella story. It is a modern fantasy book for grades K-2. This book did nothing but make me laugh. I think that kids of any age would absolutely love this book.
Danna
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute little book with a Wild West twist in a Cinderella format. I love Cinderella stories and especially loved the Wild West Show character Cindy Ellen. Yes partner, my class did catch on to the Cinderella remake but still enjoyed the western lingo and colorful illustrations.
Sarah Brandt
I love this new take on the modern Cinderella. The way it is adapted is unique and makes it so more children are able to connect with the story.
Hayley Murray-Alvarado
Fable 2001
I love the western theme of this Cinderella inspired book! I would have this in my class library for girls who don’t see themselves as a princess, but more of a cowgirl!
Chelsie Taylor
This is a hilarious book about a western cowgirl version of the classic Cinderella. She brings lots of twists and turns to us and makes everyone laugh along the way.
Crosby Maierle
western version of cinderella. the pictures are the best. they seem dull and old looking. This wasn't my favorite book. But it was a funny book!
Margaret
Instead of a ball, there's a rodeo, and Cindy Ellen knows how to ride. This is cute. It's probably fun to read aloud with accents. I didn't love it, but I would definitely read it to children.
Brenna Shull
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I love this rendition of Cinderella! This story can be told in many ways from many different cultures. This story would be great to change up what a child thinks of when they hear "Cinderella." The kids could also learn something about the west that they didn't have previous knowledge of.
  • Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella
  • Bubba, The Cowboy Prince
  • The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story
  • Dinorella: A Prehistoric Fairytale
  • Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China
Her family has lived in the American West since Gold Rush days. She and her husband and their two daughters divide their time between Tucson Arizona and a ranch near the Mexican border.