Start by marking “A Kiss Before Dawn” as Want to Read:
A Kiss Before Dawn

A Kiss Before Dawn

(Dawn #1)

Country girl Chris Martel has struggled all her life to form strong, lasting relationships. For Chris, love, compassion, and trust are critical. In their absence, she has turned to her dog and her horse for the emotional fulfillment she craves. Then along comes Mary Jo Cavanaugh.

Fresh out of veterinary school, Mary Jo inadvertently antagonizes Chris with her overconfident
Published September 1st 2015 by Bedazzled Ink Publishing (first published February 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss Before Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss Before Dawn

Jo reece
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've mixed feelings about this book. I loved the story, and you can feel how well the 2 main characters bond together...

....but... did we need all that violence at the end? holy shit balls! Don't get me wrong, I love a good psychopath/ lunatic read as much as the next person.. but it didn't mix well with this story. The book could have easily worked without that chapter near the end... I've given it a 4 star ( decided to ignore that that particular chapter , but if I had to rate completely it w
Pin
A nice romance with two well-defined and likable main characters, some very good secondary characters (especially Frances), lots of interesting information about horses and dogs with a few well-developed animal characters. I really liked this debut novel which doesn't feel like a debut, so I will definitely check out the next book from Laurie Salzler.
Lexxi Kitty
I received a copy of this book free from the author

This is the third book that I’ve read by this author, all of the books falling within a series called ‘Dawn’.

I read this series kind of weirdly – I read the middle one first – the one that followed a different set of main characters than those that populate the first and third books in the series. Hmms, that was confusing. The main characters in the first book pop up in the second, but aren’t the main focus of that book, and then take back the
Amber
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me by surprise...When you read a lesbian novel, you except certain ups and downs and certain endings.....I learned more from this book...about horses...about relationships...about life....than I ever expected...I only want to learn more...to experience more...I look forward to Laurie's next book....I have also had the pleasure of meeting Laurie and her wife, Linda....They both are so true and honest and so in love....If you have to read one book in your life, please read this one. ...more
Kennedy
Enjoyed this story very much. Mary Jo and Chris have very different personalities but what they do have in common is a love of animals. Really liked how they stood by each other in very different ways.
Pam Sloss
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"On your Wordpress page you describe yourself as a “novelist, outdoor enthusiast, animal lover, dog trainer”. I know your Acknowledgement indicates the humans are fiction but for those of us who follow your musings and FB, Chris Martel has those same wonderful attributes for nature and animals. A Kiss Before Dawn was an excellent debut novel. I really enjoyed the interactions between Mary Jo and Chris as they dealt with past issues plus developed a relationship strongly encouraged by great suppo ...more
Val
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read for the most part. And what lesbian doesn't love reading about horses and dogs? FYI: There is scene in this book that's difficult to read about and it could be a trigger for someone who's been assaulted sexually or otherwise.
Terry Baker
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Martel is a loner. She is more comfortable with her horses and dogs than she is with people. She has one friend, an eighty one year old widow, Frances Cook. When Chris requires a woman’s company, she heads out to the lesbian bar in Rochester. Chris has never had a real relationship. She has too many issues from her past and has a problem trusting people. For Chris to be able to love, she has to learn to trust, which isn’t an easy thing for her to do.

Newly qualified vet, Mary Jo Cavanaugh D
Donna
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Seem like I had to wait forever to get this book. I was not disapionted when I finally got it. Lauries love of horses and the beauty of nature truly is brought out in this book. I could close my eyes and feel the energy and beauty. This book went far beyond the tipical woman meets woman falls in lust and live happily ever after. Becomming friends and learning to trust is a big part of this romance, making it fun getting to the lusty parts. looking forward to the next book by Laurie Salzler
Dide
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good 'discovering' love kind of novel. I have to confess though that I skipped some pages along the way especially the part were they discovered and started confessing their love for one another...I found it sappy to say the least. The part where Sky goes berserk well that does seem scary... but a nice addition I guess to the book.
Lynette Mae
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-crafted debut novel, visually descriptive and enjoyable. Well done.
Saxon Bennett
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved it. the vet scenes are cool and i learned a lot. i liked the nature descriptions and the characters were well-developed. great job!
Marie
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Technically it was all there. The drama, "unexpected love", but for me a lot of things just didn't click. The plot was very predictable and I could already say what would happen, maybe it was the point but it would be probably better for me if the things actually happened unexpectably rather getting the hints that something's about to happen.
The other thing that didn't sit with me was the lack of nights. Don't get me wrong, I don't need that from books that much, but I kind of expected that at
Ruth
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Martel runs a horse farm in Bristol, New York State. On the farm she has horses sent to her breeding and her own horses, Hattie, a Black Thoroughbred, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorough..., Ruby, a Paint Mare and Stetson, a bay and white Paint stallion, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American... . There is also Sierra, a quarter horse mare, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American... . Helping her are Cedar and Vagney the Labradors and Sadie, the Jack Russell.

Mary Jo Cavanaugh is a newly gra
Michelle
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
A Kiss Before Dawn is a beautifully told story by debut author Laurie Salzer. The plot is well developed, the characters are likable and easy to relate to and the pacing is good. One of the things that I liked best about this book was the manner in which Ms. Salzer allowed the readers to get to know more about the characters as the story developed. A Kiss Before Dawn offered a glimpse into the characters past, revealing that which had shaped the characters lives and did so in a way that it blend ...more
Loek Krancher
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have greatly enjoyed this book. I knew next to nothing about horses but Laurie has described it all so well and I'm glad I've gotten the chance to get acquainted with this world. The interaction between women and animals, the love for all the animals, it was so palpable and recognizable. As befits a good story, it was not only love but also much pain, sorrow and violence. Wow, what a beautifully written story and I look forward to the sequel.
Hazey
Exceptional debut novel this author has a wonderful understanding of horses, dogs and humanity. Her husbandry is reliably knowledgeable which for me made this book extremely readable.
The love story builds gradually and Laurie Salzler manages to blend in some wonderful characters to bring this story together with some shocks and surprises along the way.
Alicia
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just came across this author and must say I will definitely look into reading her other book as well. Love all the characters and how Chris and Mary Jo related to one another plus I got a glimpse into horse breeding.
Elisa Rolle
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2016 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: A Kiss Before Dawn by Laurie Salzler
This re-release is really a new book—tighter, better pacing, the same great storyline and enhanced chracters. Loved it the first time, love it now.
Simone
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do think that the characters were solid and well developed. Chris has a wall up and doesn't trust easily. I think the transition from that to trusting Cav was too smooth; would have liked a bit more angst. Scenery was beautiful and well described. Overall enjoyable.
Cindy Jones
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A loner learns to trust and love. Horses, dogs, and the great outdoors predominate in this wonderfully descriptive novel set in Upstate NY. It's not all sunshine and blue skies, however. Suspenseful ending leaves you on the edge of your seat.
J. Whitley
Laurie writes a good love story that keeps you interested. Her descriptions of nature and the horses are so well-written that you can almost hear the birds and smell the fresh hay.
Mellagirl
ISA SIMONET
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
A delicious debut novel, characters a little distant, detached. Cute book, unpretentious, to read.
Larry Garrett
  • Waking Up Gray
  • The Secret of St. Claire
  • Something So Grand
  • Hell's Highway
  • Storm Surge - Book Two (Dar and Kerry, #11)
  • Every Second Counts
  • Winds of Heaven
  • Hidden Truths (The Oregon Series, #2)
  • Pennance
  • And a Time to Dance
  • Small Packages (Shaken, #3)
  • Destiny's Bridge (Lex and Amanda, #1)
Laurie Salzler holds a degree in Natural Resources Conservation and Outdoor Recreation. She has worked with animals (wild and domesticated) her entire life, including several years spent in the veterinary field and equine industry at training and breeding facilities in New York, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. She is an avid outdoor enthusiast, whose activities include horseback riding, hiking, snowsh ...more

Dawn (3 books)