Start by marking “Writers of the Future Vol 32” as Want to Read:

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Science Fiction & Fantasy Anthology and Advice to Writers 2016

You are about to meet:

YOUR NEXT FAVORITE AUTHOR

The 32nd edition of Writers of the Future may be the best new book yet! Brand-new adventure through space, time and possibility.

Along the way these new authors will introduce you to fascinating characters such as Nate, a very loyal companion—like most werewolves
Published May 3rd 2016 by Galaxy Press

To ask other readers questions about Writers of the Future Vol 32, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writers of the Future Vol 32

Akahayla
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great read! It really gives me the inspiration to write my own fantasy and sci-fi stories. Some stories were shocking, others had a unique humor, some made me teary eyed and some filled me with awe. Nonetheless I enjoyed them all and the illustrations that follow were perfect. They captured the story so well.

I never knew about this competition before and I happened to come across this book by total chance but I'm so glad I did.
C.P. Cabaniss
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
*I received a copy of this collection through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I am honestly not sure what to say about this collection. Fantasy is my favorite genre, and I've wanted to start reading more science fiction, and I like writing short stories, so I thought this would be a good fit. In some ways, I was right.

None of these stories really stand out to me over the others. There were a few that I found interesting and would probably read more from, but none of them really caug
Raven and Beez
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi

This was a great read. Basically it’s a collection of short sci-fi and fantasy stories written by new and budding authors. As I read through them I felt so motivated to write because telling a beautiful story in a few pages is a crazy-cool accomplishment that these amazing people did VERY well.

There’s nothing much to discuss when it comes to this book so I’ll just quickly mention some of my favourite short stories and why I liked them.

The first one is Möbi
Margaret Fisk
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

Reviewing an anthology is a difficult task, and I’ll admit I dragged my feet on this one. I read it back in July of last year, but in some ways, this adds a weight to my comments based on which stories unfold before my eyes from a note here or there, and which didn’t have that staying power. As with all anthologies, some of the stories worked for me and some didn’t. I prefer to focus on the ones that did as people’s tastes vary, though I’ll mention a co
Anna Tan
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, review-copy
Trying to read a book within two to three days isn’t a big deal for me. I was just defeated by fatigue and horrible formatting which made me want to tear my eyes out (though it is a digital ARC, so I can’t complain). The stories contained within Writers of the Future #32 are the best 3 of each quarter’s submissions for 2015, including 1 notable entry. I’ll try to summarise here my thoughts on each one.

The Star Tree (Jon Lasser) - Chiq collects star system cards, what he believes to be deeds to
Thomas
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The stunning cover for Writers of the Future 32 was created by Sergey Poyarkov and captures the imaginative worlds represented in this best-selling anthology series. Also included in this volume are full color reproductions of the artwork gracing each story. The Illustrators of the Future is an integral part of the annual Writers of the Future series. Represented here are illustrators extraordinaire Killian McKeown, Paul Otteni, Talia Spencer, Irvin Rodriguez, Maricela Ugarte Pena, Elder Zakirov ...more
Jaffa Kintigh
The annual Writer's of the Future contest in writing and art culminates in that year's anthology representing the 12 quarterly finalists in each of the categories. It also includes a few other inclusions from past winners and the anthology editor. The genres range from fantasy to sci-fi, urban fantasy to steampunk. And the winners are consistently very good.

My favorites of this year's winners each rate at 5 out of 5 stars. Jon Lasser's "The Star Tree" is an off-world, coming-of-age tale that see
Frank
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Writers of the Future is a compendium of new authors whose works noted authors have reviewed and thought to be examples of future good work. The stories cross multiple genres and for the most part are interesting crossing into steam-punk, hard science friction, fantasy, dystopian future, and horror. The volume is very readable and worth your time.
Alexander
Disclaimer: I got six stories plus the preview of one in exchange for an honest review. I won't go into every story in-depth as I only got six of the whole picture and I'd want to do that for the entire collection, but I'll just give you a general idea. The stories I read were The Star Tree by Jon Lasser, Cry Havoc by Julie Frost, Möbius by Christoph Weber, Freebot by R.M. Graves, Swords like Lightning, Hooves like Thunder by Kate Julicher & Last Sunset for the World Weary by H.L. Fullerton. ...more
Paula
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book for NetGalley.

I have read several "Writers of the Future" anthologies and have always enjoyed and been very pleased by the quality of the writing and illustrations in the different volumes. This latest entry does not disappoint.

Writers of the Future is a contest begun in the 1980's by L. Ron Hubbard to find new science fiction/fantasy talent, heavily towards the science fiction end. This is more than being about fiction - it's about dreams and aspirations of the future. Idea
Daniel
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
It is so hard to review short story collections like this. Some of the stories in here, like "Images Across a Shattered Sea," and "The Jack of Souls," were 5 star fantastic. Absolutely loved them. Others, like "the Star Tree," and "Mobius" and "Squalor and Sympathy" were interesting and well written. Unfortunately, that is only 5 of the 13 stories that I would classify as "good." The rest were entirely forgettable, and in a couple of cases (The Last Admiral) really terrible. I don't want to not ...more
Amelia
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of stories

This was an good collection of stories ranging from ok to amazing I even looked up one of the authors so I could read more of their stuff. If you like science fiction or fantasy you will have a good chance of finding a new author to read.
Over all it is a pretty normal Science fiction and fantasy collection but with new authors and some amazing pictures. It is geared towards writers and artists with chapters on how to write and some hilarious ones at the end on art crit
San
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this a very mixed bag of short stories, most of them were not to my taste.
Also something went wrong with the formatting, I could not see the title for any of the stories.

Two of them really stood out were topic and atmosphere is concerned:

- The one about a girl who through a parasite appears beautiful/ trustworthy to everyone she meets.
- The one with the boy, who wants soo much to go out into the sun, but his parents will not let him, until he passes certain tests.

These I would like to r
James
Oct 26, 2016 added it
Got through most of these; most of these are new authors and I do see a lot of potential for them. Some pretty striking tales about genetics and if we need to change into aliens to better adapt to life on other planets. Lots of trippy stories like that, some great articles from professionals and Mr. Hubbard himself on how to put together a story and deal with editors. Cool artist advice on how to put your stuff out to market. A great contest. Can't wait for the next one.
Julie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This was mixed for me. I entirely skipped one story because I disliked it so much, but there were at least two that I thought were excellent. It felt like it averaged out to "like" rather than "okay". I enjoyed the way the illustrations were like a little surprise in each story. I love the cover art.
Nicholas Adams
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOTF 32: Review

As with issues of past years; some stories left me in awe due to their imagination; some left me in wonder due to their ability to draw me into another world. While others just put left me wondering what was it about the story that impressed the judges.
Randy Hulshizer
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Writers of the Future Volume 32 is another great anthology in the Writers of the Future contest series. Although I did not personally like every story in this collection (some I love, others I disliked rather strongly), they were all well-written and worthy of the time they took to read.
Ron
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am again amazed at the consistently good stories in this anthology. This book, the culmination of a yearly contest for new writers, is always great. I have read all 32 books in the series and have never been disappointed. I definitely recommend this and the previous issues.
Rob Bleckly
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone starting to read SF
So far, so good, except for the mandatory Hubbard story. In previous volumes, I found his articles on writing quite illuminating but if this story was submitted to the contest it wouldn't rate a mention Honourable or otherwise.

James
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I look forward to this release every year, some great stories from new voices in the world of Science Fiction and Fantasy. This year was no exception. While not every story is for everyone, they all have something to offer.
Calman Drysdale
Jun 04, 2016
Chris
Jan 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: One of my books is listed under the wrong Jon Lasser! 3 158 Aug 22, 2016 05:31PM
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa ...more
More about David Farland

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)