Start by marking “The 10 Myths of Teen Dating: Truths Your Daughter Needs to Know to Date Smart, Avoid Disaster, and Protect Her Future” as Want to Read:

Few topics are more difficult for parents to discuss with their daughters than dating and relationships.  Due to their lack of knowledge about the world their teens face coupled with the scant dating information they received as teens, many parents feel ill-equiped to guide their daughters through the minefield that is teen dating.

In The 10 Myths of Teen Dating, this fathe
Published September 1st 2016 by David C Cook

To ask other readers questions about The 10 Myths of Teen Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 10 Myths of Teen Dating

Start your review of The 10 Myths of Teen Dating: Truths Your Daughter Needs to Know to Date Smart, Avoid Disaster, and Protect Her Future
Brittany
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I will need to re-read a few times in order to fully process all that is in it. I was impressed with the way the book was set up and by the co-writing of the father and daughter team. Although the author is a Christian and he does make a couple of references to a few Christian beliefs that he personally holds, this book is not written from a “religious” point of view. Instead the authors have used experience that they have gained over the years as educators in the public scho ...more
Lydia Howe
Why I Choose this Book:

The premise sounded interesting, although it wasn't something I especially wanted to read. I have been curious about the subject though because I know a lot of teens who date and the rational behind it never made complete sense to me. Then I found out that the author of this book co-wrote it with his daughter, and that impressed and intrigued me. And, after watching a short interview with them, I was like "Hey! I want to read this!" and so I did.

What I Thought About this
Rob Haug
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Full disclosure: I know Dan Anderson (though not well). He was one of my daughter's teachers (and one of her favorites).
The best word to describe this book is "practical". Dan (and his daughter) use their breadth of experience to impart some practical wisdom on the issue of dating, specifically for daughters. Though their experience is the primary source material, Dan has done some valuable research to support his arguments.
This is a Christian book, and will be most well received by Christian re
Natalie Walters
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An invaluable book that I wish would've been available before my daughters approached the dating age. This book is written from two perspectives-that of the father who will never be ready and that of the daughter who's always been ready (so she thinks). Although co-author Jacquelyn is grown now, she provides an insight into some of the very honest thoughts going through a girl's mind during the dating years. As a mom of two older teenage daughters, some of it I knew (through painful experience) ...more
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
THE 10 MYTHS OF TEEN DATING is a thorough and resourceful guide for parents on opening up discussions on dating with teenage daughters. Full of statistics and actual experiences, it gives a solid base as to what teens believe and what they should know. If you're looking for something to help you as a parent broach this topic with your daughter, this is the perfect segue.

I found this book to be very informative, especially reading it is a mother. I also thought it was honest and straightforward.
Nicki Olsen
*My Thoughts*
I was actually surprised by what I found in the pages of this title.
The book was well written, factual, and was laced with just enough Biblical truths to be appropriate for non-Christians as well as believers.
Daniel's experiences in a school setting for 20+ years gave him valuable insight into the subject, and his daughter was a great addition to the book.
Overall, a pleasant read with some valuable information, great for moms of teens or teens to read.

____________________________
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THE 10 MYTHS OF TEEN DATING is a book I wish my parents would've read when I was a teen. I made so many mistakes in dating it isn't even funny. He "loves" me, but he "loves" her and is dating both of us. Verbally abusive. Controlling. Oh, and the dating cycle, breaking up and getting back together, over and over and over.

I am having both of my teen daughters read this book with me and we are discussing it. I think this is invaluable information and I will keep it for my tween daughter to read s
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading parenting books because although I consider myself a good parent, there is nothing that prepares you for the lack of confidence you will feel on some days. My kids are now teens and it reminds me somewhat of the toddler years when testing independence was a big transitional stage.

So the minute I saw this book I thought I could use some advice as my daughter is now 15 and the topic of dating has come up because some of the older teens she is hanging out with are dating and gettin
Charity Andrews
Oct 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Teen Dating. Something that none of us parents are sure we are ready to deal with, right? So, in theory, this should be a great book giving us lots of wisdom and insight.

WRONG

I can not even tell you how angry I was when I read this book. This book is an exact picture of what Christianity has turned into and it disgusts me to my core.

Let me clarify. The Bible IS enough. There is not even one problem you will encounter in life that the God has not shown us how to deal with. Even as I read through
Sherry Lynn
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-growth
And I Thought ...
Practical much needed resource for parents! A book every parent needs to read.
The book is filled with realistic personal stories.

Reflection questions end each chapter allowing the parent/reader to contemplate and ready themselves to discuss the content with his/her daughter. Here are a couple of examples . . .
From Chapter 1- Myth1-If I Had a Boyfriend I would Be Happy.
Questions-What have you taught your daughter about where happiness is found?
From Chapter 4- Myth 4- Sex Will
Karen
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this aloud to my 18-year-old daughter - great advice throughout the book, easy to read, nothing new from my perspective, but teens tend to at least outwardly act as though advice will be received more if given from a source other than parents ;) Definitely recommended for any teen girl (who might possibly learn a bunch) or her parents (who are possibly smarter, wiser, and more experienced than they look).
M.watts
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having a daughter who is dating, I was really interested in the topic. However, as I read I thought about her ex-boyfriend and how he had believed the same myths and made my daughter uncomfortable with his too much too soon thinking. Wish the author would write one for boys as well! Well done and great advice!
Liam K
Feb 04, 2021 added it
I read this book and it seems to me that it is a very cool description of myths and dating in adolescence. Nowadays it is very fashionable to meet online and it seems to me that on the site https://www.teendatingsites.com.au you can find the very online dating service you dreamed of. There are reviews for the best sites. ...more
Denise
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was interested in reading The 10 Myths Of Teen Dating: Truths your daughter needs to know to date smart, avoid disaster, and protect her future by father-and-daughter team Daniel and Jacquelyn Anderson because I have two daughters. They're not quite dating age yet (they're nearly 11 and 8, respectively), but I want to prepare early so I will be ready when the time comes. The back cover says:

"There's no greater moment of panic in a parent's life than when their daughter begins to date. Due to t
Jalynn Patterson
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Few topics are more difficult for parents to discuss with their daughters than dating and relationships. Due to their lack of knowledge about the world their teens face coupled with the scant dating information they received as teens, many parents feel ill-equipped to guide their daughters through the minefield that is teen dating.

In The 10 Myths of Teen Dating, this father and daughter team combines the latest scientific research with poignant, personal stories to help parents en
Rachel Valentine
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I literally JUST finished this book.  Okay, well I skipped two chapters, because its nearly midnight and I have AT LEAST 12 years until I need to read about this topic.  But, as usual, I digress.  It was really, really good!

Although I don't intend for my children to have dating relationships, at least while living under my roof, but more of a heavily chaperoned courtship situation when they decided they are ready to marry in the next couple of years, this book was AMAZING!

The authors live in
Melissa
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because, even though we don’t allow my daughter to date yet, she does talk to boys and text with them. Recently a boy stopped talking to her because she couldn’t date and that “made it complicated.” Uhhh, yeah, because teen dating never is complicated (hear my voice dripping with sarcasm).
Anyway, after I laughed a bit I found this book and purchased it. It was well worth it.
Daniel and his daughter, Jacquelyn, keep it real. They don’t shy away from tough subjects and speak t
Michelle Jinnette
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I was reading this book or anytime she would spot it laying on the kitchen counter, my teenage daughter would roll her eyes and just make a disgruntled noise. Hannah was embarrassed because I received this book after she started dating her boyfriend. Since I very rarely dated in high school, I want to help my beautiful daughter safely navigate her through the teenage dating years and beyond. This book was very helpful in giving me insight to current teenage dating practices, thoughts and i ...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having two daughters on the cusp of the teen years, I must admit to a certain amount of fear and trembling as I contemplate the reality that they are not that many years away from - gasp - dating! To the rescue come father-daughter team Daniel and Jacquelyn Anderson, offering up their collective wisdom to help parents guide their daughters through the teen years. The book is broken up into easy to ready chapters, and can either be read in one go or taken one chapter at a time. I thought the auth ...more
Vanessa James-brooks
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LeAnne Klopfenstein
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a "real world" presentation of teenage dating life, from people who know teens best--high school teachers. We parents may want to think we know it all because we remember our teenage years, but it is extremely helpful to have the insights of Daniel & Jacqueln Anderson (who are father & daughter), who have spent years teaching high public high school. Both authors are Christians, yet they make it clear this book is a wonderful resource for any parent who desires to see their daughter ...more
Crystal Carney
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The 10 Myths of Teen Dating" Daniel Anderson & Jacquelyn Anderson is a great resource guide for parents to talk to their teens about dating. I have three girls the oldest is 13 and thankfully she has no desire to date whatsoever right now. She's more focused on school and eventually art school, but I have a feeling this book will come in handy when my younger two are teens. This book is full of statistics and actual experiences. This book is honest and straightforward & touches on the consequenc ...more
Wendy Ross
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I like that The 10 Myths of Teen Dating is written in an easy, conversational style, and that there are discussion questions at the end of each chapter. Although I no longer have a teen daughter (she's 23 now), I have friends with teen daughters with whom I might share this book.

Now, I'll be on the lookout for one for teen boys!
Heidi Ciravola
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Have a daughter? I highly recommend this no nonsense book on how to navigate the teen dating years.
Jamie Meyer
Feb 24, 2017

• The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • The Five Love Languages of Teenagers
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Girls with Swords: Why Women Need to Fight Spiritual Battles
  • When God Becomes Real
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself
  • Under Cover: The Promise of Protection Under His Authority
  • Sacred Privilege: Your Life and Ministry as a Pastor's Wife
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • The Power of Having Fun: How Meaningful Breaks Help You Get More Done
  • The Louder Song: Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament
  • The Grave Robber: How Jesus Can Make Your Impossible Possible
  • Dirty God: Jesus in the Trenches
  • The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are
Daniel Anderson hails from Madison, Alabama. In his spare time, he enjoys writing fiction while hoping for a better tomorrow.