Start by marking “Mud (Chronicles of the Third Realm #1)” as Want to Read:
Mud (Chronicles of the Third Realm #1)

Mud

(Chronicles of the Third Realm #1)

Torn apart by war and abandoned by the gods, only one hope remains to save humanity. But the savior isn’t human at all.

Published March 1st 2016 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Mud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mud

Start your review of Mud (Chronicles of the Third Realm #1)
Justin
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MUD grabbed my attention from the first chapter, and held me through the underworld and back. As a reader I love feeling part of the character's growth throughout a story. With MUD you are along for the ride of lifetimes. If you like stories of gods and magic, havens and underworlds give this story a shot.....but remember to stretch because you'll have a couple of twists along the way.

Loved it.
Koeur
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it

Publisher: City Owl

Publishing Date: march 2016

ISBN:9780986251665

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 2.8/5

Publishers Description: Trapped by his Maker’s command to protect a mysterious box, Adem is forced to kill anyone who tries to steal it. When a young boy chances upon Adem’s temple, he resists temptation, intriguing the golem. As the boy and his sister convince Adem to leave the refuge of his temple, the group lands in a web of trouble.

Review: Contrary to the
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Full Review:
*I received a free eARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I really like books about uncommon supernatural creatures, so, when I saw this one had a golem as the protagonist, I jumped at the chance to read it.

The funny thing is, Adem is a golem, something that plays a huge role and has a major effect on the story, but he's one of the most human characters I've ever read about. This was definitely a character-driven book, which is what I like, and
Kathryn
This is a story of a golem. It's new. It's different. And it's something you won't forget. The author explains that she wanted something new and different to write about. Well she's done it. And it's an interesting story, imho, that takes you on a journey beyond your imagination.
M.L.S. Weech
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall a pretty interesting twist on classic Greek myth storylines. Interesting setup. It has some artistically stylistic things I think people will find hit or miss (you'll either like the style or not), but if you like Greek myths, you'll probably enjoy this.
Heather McCorkle
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A dystopian of a very different, very delicious flavor.
Bikram
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobookboom
Disclaimer.
I had requested and received audible version of this book for free from the author, in exchange for an unbiased review.

What I liked about the book -
This book has a great world building as an essential part of the story telling and that works really well for it. I got drawn in very early on and was heavily intrigued by it. The characters are well written too and kept me engaged. It was entertaining overall.

What I disliked about the book -
There's way too much monologue, if you ask me.
Kim Megahee
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. EJ drew from a lot of different myths, legends and religion to construct a world different from all the rest. I didn't know what to expect, and she surprised me with an unusual hero - a golem. I was pulled in from the beginning and I really had a hard time putting the book down to get some real work done. That's what I want from a book.
The only thing that kept the book from being a five star (for me) was the existence of some typos. I think EJ should fire her
Audrey
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book, though not a favorite. It has an intriguing story. Adem is a golem. Tasked with protecting a box with unknown contents. He is then approached by an angel who wants him to bring him back a soul from the Underworld.
Elesha
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Mud has great world building and I liked that it was about a golem, a creature you don't often see. His desire to belong is something we can all relate to at times. I really enjoyed the climax and ending of the book. Though this book is a complete story, it the start of something bigger.
B. Hughes-Millman
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-books, magic
When I first saw the cover, I wasn't sure I would like this one. Then I read the blurb and the first chapter and I couldn't wait to begin reading. This is a book that has an alternate mythology with a Hobbit or LOTR feel. At least that's how it was for me. And this main character, although he is called a Golem, he is nothing like the one in the two aforementioned books. He is controlled by a box, yes, but this box controls him to protect it and it's contents to the death. Because of this, he is ...more
Amanda Shelley-Masters
This book was given to me by the Author In Exchange For an Honest Review.

E. J Winstrom is a brave and exciting author! I loved this story and couldn't put it down from the min I picked it up! her world is dark, creative and full of the mysterious and the hopeful. I have never read a novel about a Golem before and it captured my interest from the start, Golems being a creature of evil and usually black spells and soullessness, the character of Adam really surprised me with his compassion and his
Amanda Shelley-Masters
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by the Author In Exchange For an Honest Review.

Steve Roach
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything I love in a fantasy book. It has a rich, deep mythology behind it, one that I can't wait to find out more about. There is an intriguing world, and the plot is full of pleasant twists and turns. But mostly, I loved the characters. The protagonist is a deeply flawed but likeable character who is pulled by strings he can't see or understand to do terrible things. Some of them he knows are terrible, some he doesn't find out are terrible until it's too late, but through it all ...more
Christine Karmelreads2665 W.
Received this book for an honest review.

Adem is a golem created as the protector assassin of a box. He is unaware what is in the box. He has grown weary of killing all that come for the box.

Miriam is the sister and trainer of the child who will lead in the Third Realm War.

Jordan is the child of the prophecy that will guide the people who worship the Three.
This book is not a quick read. If you like a story with good build up and background on characters you will enjoy this book. This book is just
Yelena Casale
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A striking story of a golem's epic quest, a dark journey that allows him to grow and transform into something he desperately wants - a creature with a soul. Adem's relationships with a boy he saves, Jordan, and the woman he may or may not save, brings him closer to his desired state, even as he travels to the Underworld to fulfill the command of another. This novel brings very unique twists to paranormal creatures such as angels and demons and the dystopian world Adem dwells in. A very strong ...more
Daniel Sytsma
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MUD was absolutely marvelous! I just finished it and loved every second of it. Any waking hours where I was not able to read it due to work or other obligations were a struggle. It frustrated me to no end to not be able to just sit and binge read those incredible chapters of eloquent verbiage. I look forward to your next book and the others to follow.
Em
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this one in a single sitting. Wenstrom's writing draws you to the edge of your seat and holds you there until the final page. Her characters become your friends (and enemies) and her world feels real. I will be adding this author to my list of favorites.
Heather McCorkle
A dystopian of a very different, very delicious flavor. A tortured soul without a soul must find a way to help not only himself, but the whole of humanity. If you love dystopian and uncommon supernatural beings, this is definitely for you. Loved it!
Tim Haynes
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! She painted a vivid world with well developed characters and action that played like a BluRay in my brain. Can't wait to get "muddy" with the next installment in the series.
Jackie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eden is trapped into taking care of a special box and orders to kill anyone who tries to take it. A young boy wanders into the place and he can't seem to harm him. The boy and his sister convince him to leave and now the troubles begin. A great story, well worth reading
Julia
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by a friend and was an entertaining story with well-developed characters. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Kailey
Steve
May 17, 2016
JEFF JARRETT
Dec 10, 2016

• Blood King (Spirit Seeker, #1)
  • Chasing Destiny
  • Tides of Time (The Legacy #1)
  • Love in Hiding (Love Beyond Danger, #1)
  • Time Limits (The Marc McKnight Adventures, #1)
  • A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #3)
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Gotta Read It!: Five Simple Steps to a Fiction Pitch that Sells
  • Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful
  • Pulling Strings
E. J. Wenstrom is an award-winning fantasy and science fiction author. Her debut novel, Mud: Chronicles of the Third Realm War, was named FWA's 2016 Book of the Year. When she’s not writing fiction, E. J. drinks coffee, runs, and has long conversations with her dog. Ray Bradbury is her hero.

Get a FREE novella when you join E. J. Wenstrom's email list: http://ejwenstrom.com/rain/

Chronicles of the Third Realm (2 books)
  • Tides (Chronicles of the Third Realm #2)