Start by marking “SHORTCUTS: Track 1 (Science fiction and fantasy stories from Aotearoa New Zealand)” as Want to Read:

This volume collects together the six novellas that make up the first SHORTCUTS series.

Writing on the theme of strange tales of Aotearoa New Zealand, seven Kiwi authors weave stories of people and creatures displaced in time and space, risky odysseys, and even more dangerous discoveries.
Featuring:

Lee Murray and Piper Mejia‘s odyssey through a dystopic future: Mika
A.C. B
Paperback, 1, 271 pages
Published by Paper Road Press

To ask other readers questions about SHORTCUTS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SHORTCUTS

Angela Oliver
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
From indie publishers, Paper Road Press, we have the first in what will be, hopefully, a series of anthologies: "Shortcuts: Track 1". This instalment offers up a collection of fine speculative fiction from a selection of New Zealand authors. The tales are diverse and engaging, long enough to immerse and engage the reader, but short enough to devour in a single sitting.

We begin with "Landfall" by Tim Jones, a chilling near-future tale. New Zealand has become a distant haven for refugees escaping
Nettie
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I have a love hate relationship with New Zealand fiction, mostly I hate "NZ fiction the genre" because it's always trying to convince me that its something special when it isn't and doesn't need to be. Every so often I read something that changes my mind very briefly. In Shortcuts it was Grant Stone's The Last and The Pocket Wife by Ik Paterson-Harkness. The imagery in both was perfect, they had that touch of kiwi that makes them familiar even in the fantasy. Mika had potential but it made leaps ...more
Mike
A mixed bag.

I think I most enjoyed Tim Jones shortish thriller of the future in which some measure of compassion still exists and I.K. Paterson-Harkness‘ Pocket Wife where a husband tries to hide his adultery from his wife, who, because of the technology, is able to 'see' and 'feel' him far more than he wants her to.
These two stories were tightly written, and came to satisfying conclusions.

Lee Murray and Piper Mejia‘s Mika took a bit of a Mad Max approach, though without the devastation of th
Marie
Dec 14, 2015
Rachel
Dec 22, 2015
Tim
Dec 30, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Maree