Start by marking “The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

The Lightning Thief

(Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  1,687,532 ratings  ·  52,704 reviews
Alternate cover for this ISBN can be found here

Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse - Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth ab
Paperback, First edition, 377 pages
Published March 1st 2006 by Disney Hyperion Books (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Thief, please sign up.
Juli Brom Yeah, pretty much everyone here is 100000000% correct, and by now you should have already read the book, but add to everyone here DUDE THE MOVIES…moreYeah, pretty much everyone here is 100000000% correct, and by now you should have already read the book, but add to everyone here DUDE THE MOVIES BRING SHAME TO EVERYONE'S RICE FEILDS AND COWS THAT MADE NO SENSE BUT STILL THE BOOK IS LIKE *AHHH FLOATS DOWN FROM OLYMPUS*(less)
Makenzie First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

But yes, definitely read the books! I'm a teenager and I read the books a few years ago, but to this day it's one of my all-time favorite series. Riordan is an amazing writer, and once you start his books, you can't put them down! He does a great job with combining mythology with the modern day, so the stories seem all the more realistic.

While the first book is projected towards a younger audience, it's still action-packed and captivating. As the series progresses, Percy, the main character, grows and gets older so by the final book in the series he's 16, so as he matures, the books get older as well.

I also recommend these books because Rick has a follow-up series, called the Heroes of Olympus Series, which is for an older audience. Some of the characters from the Percy Jackson series carry over, so I recommend reading the first series to better understand the second (and I definitely recommend reading the follow-up series because it's just as good, if not better than the first).

Hope this helped!(less)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
11,416 books — 77,217 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
54,351 books — 189,100 voters

More lists with this book...

·  1,687,532 ratings  ·  52,704 reviews

Ela
I'm slightly ashamed to say that I watched the movie before I read the book. But I'm even more ashamed that I watched the movie only to experience the hotness that is Logan Lerman.

But, come on! Someone tell me that this , is not hot:

Really. What did I tell you? (I do imagine that you probably won't read the rest of the review anf just stare at this gif instead, but that's no reason not to like my review! :D)

But, I really have to thank Logan. I really do. Because without his unfreakingbelieveabl
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A+ Writing
A+ Plot
A+ Characters
A+ MONSTERS

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I wish I hadn't watched the movie before reading it, because I felt like that ruined a bit of enjoyment of this book for me, but for the most part I had such a fun time reading this book and I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series.
Sasha Alsberg
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I need more......
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: It’s sugar and caffeine: a dulcet pop sonnet moved by rhyming couplets of worldbuilding and perilous confrontation.
Destinee Sutton
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Destinee by: The children of SPL
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Chiron looked surprised. “I thought that would be obvious enough. The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles.
As someone who has worked in Los Angeles, I can tell you that this is completely accurate.

While Harry Potter was spending his summers at the Dursleys, Percy Jackson attended Camp Half-Blood. This book has done the impossible: it has redeemed the name of Percy.

Yes, that's right, that snot-faced, lily-livered waste of air of the very same name from the Harry Potter universe. That n
شيماء ✨
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017

i feel like this is one of those books you would stock in garages for decades until your children come across them and are suddenly forced to humanize you for the conceivably interesting creature that you were, and thus ameliorating your relationship with them while they are inspired to dream

ummm can't wait to force my kids to read this tbh

'look, i didn't want to be a half-blood.'

(x)
Emily May
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2014
Were you a bit weird in school? Or are you still in school and think you're kinda weird? I mean, everyone is weird, but you know that I mean. Maybe you didn't fit in, maybe people thought you were a bit of a loser. Maybe you had learning difficulties, were a target for bullies, got into trouble a lot, maybe it seemed like your teachers just didn't like you. Maybe you sucked at reading and were even diagnosed with dyslexia. Or ADHD.

Well, don't worry. Truth is, you're actually most likely a child
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I just had to get the illustrated edition! It's so awesome! I will leave some pics below and I took them last night so they are not great shots. =)

There are A LOT more pictures as you can guess. Like I said, sorry about the darkish pics. I was taking them while laying in bed last night. Lol

Happy Reading!

Mel ♥

•••••••••••
First Reading

I am FINALLY getting around to reading this series.

I thought the movies were okay, I do wish they would remake them and make them better, like the books =)

Poor P
Samadrita
EDIT 09/06/2013:- That's it. I have had my fill of too many stupid, brain-cell destroying comments posted on this review in the past few months asking me to write a 'best-selling book' before attempting to take apart Rick Riordan's writing. As if the exclusive privilege of negatively criticizing a book is accorded only to published writers and not ordinary reviewers/readers.
I do have the right to record my feelings about a book in my review. And it's such a shame that I am actually being forc
Nick
Sep 11, 2016 marked it as to-read
I don't care if this is middle grade literature. I am starting this soon!
jessica
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is one of the most common books that pops up on my feed. no joke. i probably see this at least a couple times a week, so i finally gave in and read it! yay me! hehe.

i will admit, this is the first time i have read a middle grade novel since i was that age, but i have to hand it to rick riordan. this story is sooo unique, which is hard to do considering how many fantasy novels are out there for young readers. and i have no doubt that, if i had first read when i was a kid, i would have been b
Cara
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Recommended to Cara by: Gerson
Really is there something I could say that hasn't been said? Doubtful, but in utterly stupid human style I will write a review anyway attempting to tell people how cool this book is.

This is plainly an awesome idea. I had always wondered what happened to the kids of half gods/goddess and humans. Here's the story to quench your curiosity. Percy Jackson has been dumped around from border school to border school. He has never been quite like anybody else, but as the end of sixth grade approaches h
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
My inner child is absolutely devastated that I didn't read this series when I was a kid. Percy Jackson was one of those series that was always there, just on the periphery of my social conscious. I knew I should read it, but for one reason or another I gravitated to other things instead.

Thankfully, as an adult who likes reviewing books for fun in my spare time, I have absolutely no shame about reading the series now, even if it was originally intended for a younger audience. In some ways, I thi
karen
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
this is a perfect book for young teenagers. if you were trying to devise a formula for writing a perfect book for this age group, you could not have done much better than this.

1) mysterious parentage. kids are totally self-absorbed. some never grow out of it, of course, but in younger people, it is more excusable - their internal life makes up the majority of their experience, they are used to being the center of attention and they spend a lot of time thinking about themselves and fantasizing. s
Emma
A list of reasons I love this book, brought to you by Nostalgia™:

- clickbait chapter titles
- middle grade book that doesn’t write down to its audience
- percy jackson was my first book boyfriend and remains the most iconic of my middle school crushes
- I kind of like him better than harry potter???
- he mails the severed head of a monster to the fucking gods bc they weren't being appreciative enough of him
- basically, the son of the sea god is literally and figuratively salty
- annabeth is only 12 y
Brigid ✩
Yet another review:

Well I feel like I've rewritten/updated my review of this like a billion times at this point, but I'm here to do it again. I re-read this over the span of the past two days when I had to take two super-long bus trips. This was the third time I've read the whole thing, I'm pretty sure (kind of the fourth time I guess, since I read a lot of it out loud to my younger siblings last year). There are few books that I loved when I was 12 that I still deeply love now, and this is one
maram ☂︎
The only word I can think of that’s relevant to how I felt about this book is Fun, Fun, Fun . Why in the world haven’t I picked this book up when I was in middle school, I’ll never know. Lbr, what’s in the past is in the past and I’ll just have to get over the fact that I might have crawled out of my shy shell sooner if these books were in my life earlier. On a positive note, I have the whole series on hand ready for me to binge as well as 2763274 other series to look forward to. that’s #sorta ...more
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mohammed by: Raoofa Ibrahim
One of the Greatest Urban Fantasy's Beginning I've ever read.

Now as I join Hogwarts every September to May, I'll spend my Summers in Half Blood Camps.
It's awfully late for me, I know. But I was stubborn enough to not listen to 2 of my best half blood friends here on Goodreads to visit the Olympians.
“Gods—the forces you call the Greek gods—are very much alive.”
I can't believe it's just Mr. Rick Riordan’s first novel.
And Believe me if you didn't read it..you missed a real great series..

Very well w
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Believe it or not, but this was actually my first Rick Riordan book!!!

AND

I really enjoyed it!!! *lol*

This was such an epic adventure and I loved the countless hints and references to Greek Mythology! XD Rick Riordan’s approach definitely was a more than just funny one and I couldn’t help but had to laugh out loud whenever Percy opened his mouth!
I swear that young boy is the embodiment of sass and the more I read about him, the more I got attached to this awesome boy! <3 I want to adopt Pers
Mark Lawrence
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read all (I think) of this series to my daughter, Celyn, but somehow this one escaped being reviewed until now.

I half-watched the film a year or two before we read this. Actually it was Rick reading (and being kind enough to review) my own trilogy that steered me toward picking up these books for Celyn (she's very disabled and can't read books for herself).

Anyway, it was a very good read. Celyn enjoyed the action and humour, and I enjoyed seeing the Greek legends I loved reading about as a
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
This was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it.

I can obviously see the similarities to Harry Potter that everyone talks about, but being that I only read the first book in the HP series in 2017...I didn't really care all that much, quite frankly.

I thought Percy's sarcastic wit made for a great narrator and, as always, I love it when mythology is tied into a story in a way I enjoy.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Finally I have done it! I’ve read a book by Rick Riordan.

I guess 2019 will be the year of reading books that have been on my bookshelf for thousands of years.

3.5/5 stars ✨
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE TIME HAS COME, GUYS. I mean, I bought a copy like months ago and never knowing when I would read it but HERE I AM READING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME. 😎😎

( but I have watched the movie ... and I wish I hadn't watched the movie before reading the book 😭😭but it happened before I became a reader. )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REVIEW TO COME TOMORROW

All I can say now is " FUCK I NEED THE SECOND BOOK "

THE REVIEW IS POSTED

to be honest, few months ago, I tried reading this book and then after I
may ❀

Who knew middle school books could make me gush and squeal like a 12-year old. I loves!!!

description

Can we just appreciate how much FAN ART there is in this fandom???!!!??? ٩(^ᴗ^)۶

“If you’re reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close this book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life.

This book is informative, interesting, funny, charming, it’s just all of the above and I’m already trash.

The Lightening Thief,
may ➹
I’m crying I love this book and series so much my parents taught me how to read just so I could read this book I can die happy now I have no other reason to exist than to read this book
☙ percy ❧
Dec 13, 2016 marked it as tbr-other
person: your name is percy?? like percy jackson??
me: (internally: who tf is that) yea i guess.
person: is it short for perseus????
me: ...............yes?
person: OMG!!!!! LITERALLY LIKE PERCY JACKSON!!!!!!! YOU'RE PERCY JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!
me: uhhhhh.... ok but my surname isn't jackso-
person: PERCY JACKSONNNNNNN!!!!!!!

after that above conversation occurring approximately 1000 times in the space of like a month with 1000 different people, i should probably read this book and find out what the big d
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

“It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.”

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
First of all: Now I see why so many people are angry at the movies. They’re so different.
I mean, they have some similarities, but in a big way they’re different.
And what can I say? Am I surprised that I liked the book more than the movie?
No, absolutely not.
I liked the movies, but after I saw what the real story should’ve been like, I think they could’ve made more of it.
Second:
Kimi
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Buddyread with the demigod squad мαү, Jenn and Chara

Illustrations by: KAIAYAME

“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.”

More like 3.5 stars to be honest.

I wish I had read this book when I was a kid. I feel like 12 year old Kimi would have absolutely adored it. That being said I still really enjoyed it as a 23 year old. It was a pretty awesome little adventure and I'm glad I read it.

➨Grover is definitely my favorite character of the series so far. He's basically
Natalie Monroe
How do I begin to explain the awesomeness that is this series...?

Percy Jackson is flawless.

It has two Celestial bronze daggers and a sliver chariot.

I hear its pages are insured for $10,000.

I hear it does Diet Coke commercials in Greece.

Its favorite movie is Disney's Hercules.

One time, it met JK Rowling on a plane and she told it it was the next Harry Potter.

One time, it punched me in the feels... It was awesome!

Why do people hate Percy Jackson? 648 2207 Apr 24, 2019 12:58PM
Last one to post is a winner! 21602 2545 Apr 22, 2019 07:15AM
(I only entered a book topic so It would allow me to post. this is a question) 1 2 Apr 21, 2019 07:38AM
PERCY JACKSON HATERS! 2 8 Apr 19, 2019 04:04PM
What are Percy Jackson Fans Called? 103 449 Apr 18, 2019 05:24AM
Who's more famous, Percy or Harry? 192 425 Apr 16, 2019 03:26PM
The Unpopular Opinions 33 185 Apr 07, 2019 12:30PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Speak
  • Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles, #3)
  • The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues, #3)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • The Seeing Stone
  • The Unusual Suspects
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1)
  • Rogue's Home (Knight and Rogue, #2)

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (5 books)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” 8258 likes
“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.” 5553 likes