Start by marking “Whispers Beyond the Veil (A Change of Fortune Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whispers Beyond the Veil (A Change of Fortune Mystery, #1)

Whispers Beyond the Veil

(A Change of Fortune Mystery #1)

First in a dazzling new historical mystery series featuring Ruby Proulx, a psychic with a questionable past who suddenly finds her future most uncertain...

Canada, 1898. The only life Ruby Proulx has ever known is that of a nomad, traveling across the country with her snake-oil salesman father. She dreams of taking root somewhere, someday, but, until she can, she makes her
Published September 6th 2016 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Whispers Beyond the Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers Beyond the Veil

Cindy Burnett
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
Whispers Beyond the Veil marks the beginning of a superb historical mystery series. Jessica Estevao manages to create an extremely likeable, flawed heroine, Ruby Proulx, and place her in an equally enjoyable setting, the charming seaside resort town of Old Orchard, Maine. As the book opens in 1898, Ruby is traveling in Canada with her father, a charlatan who enlists Ruby in his fraudulent schemes. After one of his supposed cures causes a death, Ruby escapes to Old Orchard, Maine to join her estr ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love historical fiction, I always have and when you combine that love of history with a bit of paranormal woo hoo you truly have one fun story that every bit as hard to put down as it was fascinating.

Told in an era of time where spiritualists were seriously becoming popular and just about anything seemed to go, this was a fun tale that not only brought a touch of history to it but was completely entertaining as well with a slight edge of romance and a mystery that will keep you guessing until
Veronica
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a debut book and it felt like it in many ways. The story follows 20 year old Ruby Proulx who was raised by her conman father. When his latest scheme goes horribly wrong, Ruby finds herself on the run and seeking shelter at the home of a maternal aunt in Maine, whom she's never met. This Aunt, Honoria, owns and runs a small seaside hotel that caters to those in the Spiritualist Movement that was popular at the cusp of the twentieth century, 1898 for our story. Upon arriving at this idyll ...more
Amanda NEVER MANDY
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2017
**I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.**

Two books ago I read a book that was just like this, a Victorian Era mystery centered around a woman who realizes that hell yes she can stand on her own two feet without a man guiding her. Even the covers mirrored each other; a woman in a fancy dress, umbrella over her right shoulder, gazing off into the distance.

If I hadn’t picked up two alike books, would my rating of whichever one I picked be different?

The answer to that questio
Okan Anuas
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful read!

Ruby and her father have conned people all their lives. When a new idea goes wrong, Ruby is forced to flee the life she's known and live with an aunt she's never met. She tries to cover up her past but a series of deaths threaten to destroy her aunt's livelihood and unravel the new life she's made for herself. Desperate to help her aunt (and herself), she decides to investigate a little on her own.

Jessica Estevao's debut is funny, cozy, and lovely to read. The characters are di
Scottsdale Public Library
Ruby escapes her ne-er do well father and heads to her dead mother's family, thinking she has killed a man. She hasn't but her father has and wants to pin the blame on her. She is lovingly received by her aunt and surprised to learn the truth about her mother's family: they all have psychic talents. She just thought she was going crazy. There are a few murders and mysteries as Ruby settles in to her new home, ever watchful about her past returning. This book is fun, not overly cozy or romantic, ...more
Mark Baker
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, mystery
Fleeing a tragic accident, Ruby Proulx crosses from Canada to Old Orchard, Maine. She’s run there to meet her mother’s side of the family for the first time. They are about to reopen the family home as a resort for spiritualists, and the summer of 1898 will be make or break for them. But when her past catches up to her and a murder threatens her new home, will Ruby be able to solve any problems?

While I am not a fan of paranormal cozies (because I don’t believe in the things they are based on), I
Kristie Dilcher
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love historical mysteries. I found this book to be very well written and enjoyable. I thought the characters were interesting and likable. The story line was easy to follow and left me guessing until the end of the book. I never really read anything about the occult world, but I learned many things and look forward to reading more from this author. I highly recommend this book as it is a great read!
Jaynie Flaherty
I enjoyed the book. It is a wonderful beach read. I live in Old Orchard Beach, Maine (book setting). The main character, Ruby is a woman ahead of her time. The story takes place in 1898, the year The Pier was built. Jessica develops the story and characters in a way that keeps the reader engaged. SO glad to know That this is the first book in a series.
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Synopsis:

Leslie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
An intriguing protagonist in a fascinating time and place, and a solid mystery. A very promising start to a new series!
Kristina
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Whispers Beyond the Veil by Jessica Estevao is the first book in A Change of Fortune Mystery series. It is 1898 (in Canada) and Ruby Proulx has not had an easy life growing up with her father. Her father hawks useless medicines and medical devices while Ruby earns a little extra money telling fortunes with her cards. They live in tents and are always on the go. They have never been able to save much money, because her father is always spending their money on new get rich quick schemes (that neve ...more
Nancy H
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am not normally into plots involving the paranormal, but I LOVED this book! I am so happy to see that it is the first in a series, because I can't wait to read the next one. The story line is that Ruby Proulx leaves her charlatan-medicine-man father, under very bad circumstances, and travels to the seashore of Maine to the house of her aunt. Her aunt has turned her hotel into a paranormal experience, in an effort to save the hotel from bankruptcy and herself from losing her home and livelihood ...more
Karen
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book cover is as visually stunning as the story and mystery in Whispers Beyond The Veil by Jessica Estevao. This story starts off in Canada which I found extraordinarily appealing, quickly following main character Ruby to Old Orchard, Maine. History lovers are going to truly enjoy this book. With the story roots in the "phonies and fraudsters" of the time a compelling mystery unfolds as Ruby learns to trust, survive and come into her own.
Regan
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read! Yes, there are paranormal elements--but not like you'd expect. Really well written, great characters. This is definitely a do not miss read.
Alison McMahan
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Energetic, lightly humorous, evocative of summertimes of long ago. Ending felt a bit rushed. A good start to a promising series. Looking forward to more.
Kristen
I loved everything about this book, and am hoping the author plans to continue with the series!

Ruby is a wonderful, complex fun character, and the challenges she faces as she attempts to go straight from the life of a con artist as part of her crooked father's schemes makes for a very enjoyable story.

I loved the setting of turn of the century Maine as the charming seaside town of Old Orchard with its tourists and its hotels and its spiritualist focus. The cast of characters were diverse, creativ
Patti
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inhaled this, and it was just what I needed. Very enjoyable!
Deana
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good story. You know how sometimes it's just good to get lost in a good story? This is it. It was a nice relaxing simple read.
Arlene
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I love historical fiction but this really is not my cup of tea. I don't just abandon a book when I can't relate to it, I read it through the end.
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Berkley Publishing for a free ARC of this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an open and honest review.

What a great supernatural mystery! Set in the last years of the 19th century in North America (Canada at first and then Maine in the United States). I totally loved this story idea… We are in the height of the mysticism, mediums and other seekers of the supernatural of that era and I can totally believe there were such hotels for those seeking answers beyond the grave ex
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Whispers Beyond the Veil fell way outside of the box of what I normally read. I did find the book engaging and entertaining. The author’s note at the end where Estevao explained what all was historically accurate was fascinating.
Following her father from town to town with a traveling medicine show is not the ideal life for a young woman. Sadly it is the only life Ruby has ever known, the only life her father has ever offered her. Most of the time she goes along with whatever scheme her father h
Kate Baxter
Prepare to be swept away to the seaside of 1898 Old Orchard Beach, Maine - a time when women carried reticules and could rent a bathing costume at the beach. But there's development on the horizon and a few properties in the way. Meanwhile, a previously unknown relation seeking refuge and anonymity, descends upon her aunt's hotel which caters to those seeking spiritualists and clairvoyants. All is well and fine until one guest is found murdered on the beach.

This is a delightful story based on s
Laurie
I think this book chose me. The cover intrigued me. I love the beach, old resorts and "spirited" stories.This was a good mysterious story.Part family story too,all centered around a beach resort in 1898 along the Maine coast.My Grandmother was an "intuitive" and spent many summers working at lake resorts in our area "back in the day". So this had remnants that resembled her era. Murder,theft,pickpockets,deception and family secrets and all at a beach resort.I actually guessed the murderer and I ...more
Sarah Duggan
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the Author in exchange for a review. I love historical mysteries, and this one being set in Maine, and dealing with Spiritualism, I was very excited to read it. I felt like it didn't pick up steam until after the first murder in Old Orchard. This was 168 pages in. I didn't find myself thinking about the characters and wanting to get back to them and the story. But after page 168, it moved right along. I will probably read the next book in the series when it comes out.
Suzanne M
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such an enjoyable read! Historical fiction with a little magic sprinkled in! I was completely transported back in time to where the story was set and the plot was original and engrossing. Each character is described in such a way that you can actually envision them in your mind. I am happy to know that this is going to be a series!
Gypsie Holley
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
A mix of mystery and occult that leads you on a quirky paranormal investigation from seaside Maine of 1898. A light easy read.
Larisa
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Best debut of the year! Highly recommend for fans of the Anatomist's Wife series!
The Lit Bitch
Jun 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This was definitely my year of DNF books. I did not start out this year thinking I would have so many, but when I put down The Gunslinger earlier this year, something happened to me.

I suddenly felt like it was ok to put books down that I wasn’t enjoying rather than suffer through something I was not interested in.

So here we are with year another book that I DNF this year and I was shocked when this one went back to the library earlier than expected.

This should have been a book that I had great t
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Death Among Rubies (Lady Frances Ffolkes #2)
  • The Conjurer: A Martha Beale Mystery
  • A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1)
  • A Proposal to Die For (Lady Alkmene #1)
  • A Useful Woman (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries #1)
  • The Essence of Malice (Amory Ames #4)
  • What the Dead Leave Behind (A Gilded Age Mystery #1)
  • A Gilded Grave (Newport Gilded Age, #1)
  • Santa Fe Mourning (Santa Fe Revival Mystery, #1)
  • Enter Second Murderer (Inspector Faro, #1)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • Death in the Dark Walk (John Rawlings, #1)
  • The Secret Life of Anna Blanc (Anna Blanc Mysteries #1)
  • A Marked Man (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #2)
  • The Thorne Maze (Elizabeth I, #5)
  • Death Comes to the School (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #5)
  • The Sting of Justice (Burren Mysteries, #3)
  • Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman (Lady Montfort Mystery, #1)

A Change of Fortune Mystery (2 books)
  • Whispers of Warning (A Change of Fortune Mystery, #2)