Start by marking “Swimming in the Sink: An Episode of the Heart” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Swimming in the Sink: ...

Lynne Cox

Swimming in the Sink: An Episode of the Heart

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  198 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
From an inspired and inspiring open water swimmer, a supreme athlete who swims without a wetsuit, able to endure cold water temperatures that would kill others, author of "Swimming to Antarctica" ("Riveting"--"Sports Illustrated"), "Grayson" ("Moving, mystical" --"People)," and "Open Water Swimming Manual" ("Exceptional" --"The Independent")--a powerful book about super at ...more
Published September 6th 2016 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Swimming in the Sink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming in the Sink

Chris
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Lynne Cox the human and Lynne Cox the writer, and it's probably no surprise I love a book by a one-of-a-kind EVER swimmer, and wonderful, passionate writer. For one thing this is a memoir about what's possible...I mean, what's REALLY possible. Plus, if I were to recommend two books to any coach or athlete, they would be Swimming in the Sink, and The Boys in the Boat.
Rissie
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
A short memoir about facing the challenges of heart disease. It could be good, but the writing is painfully simplistic.
Tara
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Great comeback story, but the choppy writing bugged me.
Jessica
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on a whim at the library but didn't really expect to read it - know what I mean? Books are sort of experiments sometimes for me; I put them in various places and pick them up and put them down and read the inside flap and maybe breeze through the first pages, and then, after all that, I make my move and commit (or not). But this book surprised me. I picked it up to read a few pages and suddenly couldn't put it down. I had never heard of Lynne Cox before and although her ama ...more
Sue
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lynne Cox, the famous swimmer who crosses coldwater straits, swims in Antarctica, swims Lake Titicaca, etc. has suffered losses - her parents, and then their faithful dog. A friend takes her to Costa Rica for a rare vacation but she doesn't feel well. Eventually, after a month or more of feeling slow and depressed and having a rapid heart rate, friends drag her to a doctor. Her heart is failing, with tachycardia and arrhythmia and she's not getting enough O2 into her blood. They put her on lasix ...more
Margaret
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I suggest reading Ms. Cox's "Swimming to Antarctica" first - it's a terrific book - to sort of set the stage. "Swimming in the Sink" is something of a continuation of that memoir and is about the author's later struggle with heart disease. It's not as polished a book, but it's still lovely, as is the author, who I met at a book signing in my home town - what a wonderful woman! Ms. Cox is a long-distance swimmer - among other major swims, she has swum the English Channel (2x) and from Alaska to R ...more
Sharon Royle
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lynne is an elite athlete who can swim in cold ocean waters. She has set records for her long distance (miles) swims. However, she was a caregiver for her parents, who having years of poor health, passed away. Also losing her beloved dog, Lynne was in mourning so deeply that doctors thought she could have broken heart syndrome which was threatening her life.

This author is so good about describing all that she was going through. Along with learning so much about swimming long distances and the wo
Linda
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful memoir of an amazing person (if you haven't yet read Swimming to Antarctica, it's a MUST READ). She has a fascinating literary voice, and experienced so much. Besides helping to end the cold war (!), she is the only person I know who was medically diagnosed with a "broken heart" and nearly died. This is the story of her remarkable recovery, and the beginning of her next chapter in life. So inspiring - like everything she writes!
Kelly Kittel
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
As an avid open water swimmer, myself, I greatly admire Lynne Cox for her swimming accomplishments, none of which I will ever even come close to approximating. But this book was not her finest achievement. It lacked the depth of her previous books and might have made for a better sprint than an attempt at a distance swim. As it was, it seemed desperate to stretch out, find a pace, and reach the opposite shoreline.
Kari
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
Lynne Cox captivated me with her story Swimming to Antarctica, and a random discovery when I was browsing the shelves at my local library led to me this more personal story. I know, that's hard to say, since her other book was memoir too, but this one, about her heart. Wow. And its impact on her identity. Wow. Slowing down, finding yourself, finding love. I'll keep cheering for Lynne.
K
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was almost painful to read. I kept reading it because I wanted to like it. Lynne Cox seems like an extraordinary woman who has accomplished extraordinary feats. But the book read like it was written by a fourteen year old who was confiding in her journal.
Pam G
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A book that chronicles the fraility of life with hope at the end of the tunnel. A fast and powerful read.
Patricia Eichenlaub
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice book. But do read her swimming books first to get to know Lynne.
Jay Resnick
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read. I have been dealing with AFIB and this book helped me understand some of the issues. She tells a great story.
Julie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A fascinating story, simply told.
Jean
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me remember the peaceful and meditative act of swimming. I'm going to try swimming laps again! And swimming in the ocean! This book also explores having a broken heart.
Mary Lee
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, memoir, swimming
Lynne Cox is one of my swimming heroes. This book tells about how issues with her heart changed her relationship with swimming, and how she worked to heal herself and reenter life in a new and happier place.
Sherri
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short memoir that is also a medical story about heart disease, the ability to heal and how to live after tremendous change.

I 've not read Lynne Cox's other books and don't know how this fits in with or differs from them.

The first chapters are about stress tests, calculating how long Cox can endure freezing temperatures in a lab setting. Although she's acclimated herself to cold and discovers her body can even heat water she feels the numbing effects of the cold, seeing her hands turn white f
Madelyn Haussner
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the author's style of writing. Her descriptions of the sea, swimming in cold water, building endurance, mindset of an athlete combined to enlighten the reader. Her conversations with friends and family add to the book, and helps the reader better understand the author. Her ability to move forward in the face of adverse and uncertain health issues was inspiring. A quick read, highly recommended.
Susan Ludwig
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Poorly written repetitive, boring. I was disappointed
Sarah Myers
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book it an autobiography about a woman named Lynne Cox. She was an amazing swimmer and athlete. She had accomplished so much and she pushed herself to achieve the impossible. In the book it talks about how she swam in 32 degree water for 25 minutes without a wetsuit. She has multiple studies preformed on her involving cold water so the scientists can figure out human capabilities. She went through many vigorous tests to find new scientific results about the human body. Suddenly, Lynne gets ...more
Becky
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swimming in the Sink – An Episode of the Heart by Lynne Cox
A Review By Becky Holland
Publisher: Knopf
ISBN-10: 1101947624
ISBN-13: 978-1101947623

Rating: 4 Stars

Lynne Cox broke several records as a swimmer. At the age of 15, she swam the English Channel, was the first woman to swim 18 miles across Cook Strait and was the first to swim in 32 degree water for less than 30 minutes, but still, off the Antarctica.

In Swimming in the Sink, Cox weaves through the pages Illustrations of her life – detailing
Kristi
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I bought this book because I knew the author was a famous open water swimmer and assumed it would chronicle another swimming adventure. I should have done my homework better; my bad. Swimming in the Sink is about Lynne Cox's struggle with atrial fibrillation.

The book is 225 pages and smaller dimensions than most hardback books. It took me 3-4 hours to read. Ms. Cox's preferred sentence structure (short), vocabulary (basic), and use of literary devices (rudimentary) were simple but not sloppy. M
Ann Oconnell
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was beautifully written, a story of strength and perseverance. Highly recommended.
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This one is hard to rate because I loved the overall theme of the book and enjoyed reading her progression from elite athlete who assists research into the benefits of cold on the body to almost dying from a broken heart and slowly finding her way back again to find joy and balance.

The only reason I'm not giving it four of five stars is because the weaving of the story is a bit disjointed and jerky at times. There are nice stretches of rich details abruptly followed by simplistic, "He said, the
Maya
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would read Swimming in the Sink for story and not for language as Cox is a somewhat clunky writer. Her experiences were of particular interest to me as I started reading Swimming in the Sink before an aortic heart valve replacement and finished it after. I enjoyed reading someone else’s experience with the medical machine and seeing the similarities in our treatments as well as the differences.
Tara
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this memoir about Lynne Cox, famous for swimming long distances in cold water, but just couldn't get into the varied writing style. The story revolves around Cox's life story of a complicated heart condition and a broken heart with her parents deaths, but can't seem to decide if it wants to take a scientific or creative writing approach in regards to sentence structure and flow. As a reader, I'd be getting into a whole emotional storyline, but then it'd be chopped off wit ...more
Beth
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Author Lynne Cox bars her every sentence and thought as she changes her "modus operandi" from that of a swimming star who could force herself to swim hours in cold ocean water to forcing herself to take it slow, not get discouraged, and make this crisis of having a fibrillating heart learn to respond to medicine and slightly increasing physical activity until her heart was improved and she could swim again.
Short and showing that one of the best medicines in the world is friendship and love.
Karlan
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Everyone who enjoyed Swimming to Antarctica will want to read this short book about what happened when Lynne Cox developed a serious heart problem and had to quit training and swimming until she regained her health. Her many friends helped her regain her strength. Her snappy style appeals to me and left me wanting to know what happened next.
Mary
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anyone familiar w/ Lynne Cox and her epic swims might know that she has an uncommon metabolism. I have long admired her swimming and now her writing. The words she chooses to share her experiences are spot on. I hadn't heard much about her lately so now I know. An inspiration and testimonial to waking up smiling every day
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lynne Cox is an American long-distance open-water swimmer and writer.
More about Lynne Cox