Start by marking “Две години, осем месеца и двайсет и осем нощи” as Want to Read:
Две години, осем месеца и двайсет и осем нощи

Две години, осем месеца и двайсет и осем нощи

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  9,751 ratings  ·  1,598 reviews
Салман Рушди влиза в ролята на Шехерезада.

И за две години, осем месеца и двайсет и осем нощи настава епоха на чудатости.

Джиновете – загадъчни създания от бездимен огън, които понякога се прокрадват в човешкия свят – превземат Манхатън. Философи спорят от отвъдното. Обикновени земни хора блуждаят над земята, изгубили досег с нея. В присъствието на изоставено бебе подкупност
Published December 21st 2015 by Colibri (first published 2015)

David Rathod I'm on page 155. I've read every one of Rushdie's novels and can say he's lost the ability to tell a story. His wordplay is impressive, but the layer…moreI'm on page 155. I've read every one of Rushdie's novels and can say he's lost the ability to tell a story. His wordplay is impressive, but the layer below--depth, truth, narrative--it's gone, or dormant. I'll continue to read all his fiction, but can't recommend him. Sadly.(less)
Cassie Personally, I loved the whirling aspect of this book, and it added to the feeling of magical realism to have them switch off. (That's why it feels…morePersonally, I loved the whirling aspect of this book, and it added to the feeling of magical realism to have them switch off. (That's why it feels like it moves between fairy tale and realism - this genre purposely blends the two). (less)

·  9,751 ratings  ·  1,598 reviews

Emily May
This is my first Rushdie book and I do intend to check out his more famous and controversial works - The Satanic Verses and Midnight's Children - but I have a lot of mixed feelings about my first venture into his world.

As far as I know, Mr Rushdie writes in English, correct? But even though there are some instances of beautiful writing, much of this story feels like a clunky translation. The third person "history of the jinn" that we get is, for the most part, coldly distant and reads like a tex
Kevin Ansbro
I’d like to preface my review of this sprawling, multi-layered, fantastical novel by reiterating my deep admiration for Sir Salman Rushdie and his writing. The man is a literary deity and is touched by genius; he bites his thumb at social and religious taboos and laughs in the face of literary propriety.
Perhaps idealistically I approach each of his novels with the high expectation that he will one day recoup the enchantment of Midnight’s Children (his crowning glory). Sadly, this never happens.
T
Perry
May 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let Me Take Your Order, Jot It Down / You Ain't Ever Had a Friend Like Me.
Rushdie's OutRaged Roaring: All Religions are Mere Fairy Tales, Believed Only by Dupes

I looked so forward to enjoying a fantastic novel, with what I knew to be a premise full of promise. As it turned out though, this is Rushdie's attempt to aim his "brilliant" fire at all religions and their "wholly ignorant" followers. He misfired with what turns out, ironically, a preachy "fauxfun" in an allegorical tale a la Ali Baba. T
Annie
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

Everything is relative, one man’s absolute belief is another man’s fairy tale.

Our lives are stories encased in a giant Matryoshka doll. An endless saga of happenings that jumps narration from one brand of mystery to the next bland stamp in the potpourri of the decaying universe. Our timelines cross each other’s endlessly entwining with the myriad strangenesses that are our stories: our individual stories, the stories of the street we grew up on, our family stories, and so on. Human beings are

Elyse Walters
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Jinn's live in their own world. They are creatures of smokeless fire. They are separated from
our human world.

Jinnia, is a Princess that falls in love and marries a 'human'....
a philosopher named Ibn Rushd......They have many children with human power-
characteristics and Jinn powers, (fly, or slithering descendants - good- bad- and
uninterested in morality).
Jinnia, herself, has a special heart for humans, ...with a wise understanding between the differences that divide both worlds. She reaches
Hugh
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-lit, read-2016
This book is magical in more ways than one, at times reminiscent of Saramago's modern parables or Bulgakov's the Master and Margarita, and very different to any of Rushdie's earlier novels. Having read it in an intense two days, it is probably too soon for me to assess it objectively.

At face value it is not the kind of story I would normally read - an apocalyptic fantasy in which the human world becomes a battlefield for competing jinns. The main reason it works (or at least held my attention)
Darwin8u
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
"In the end, rage, no matter how profoundly justified, destroys the enraged. Just as we are created anew by what we love, so we are reduced and unmade by what we hate."
- Salman Rushdie, Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights.

description

"This is a story from our past, from a time so remote we argue, sometimes, about wither we should call it history or mythology. Some of us call it a fairy tale. But on this we agree: that to tell a story about the past is to tell a story about the present. To recount
Allison
It's really intimidating to put up the first review on a Rushdie novel....so I'm just going to sit on this for a week or two until I have properly put my words and thoughts together.

I think the main thing we can take away from this is that jinni love sex.
Ron Charles
According to Salman Rushdie’s new novel, most of what we know about genies is wrong, which makes me worry that I may have spent too much time watching Barbara Eden. The harem pants, the wish-granting, that eager “master” talk — turns out, it’s all pure fantasy. “It was extremely unwise to believe that such potent, slippery beings could have masters,” Rushdie writes. And we’re not even using the right term. “The name of the immense force that had entered the world was jinn.”

Those fiery, smokeless
Althea Ann
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dizzying, imaginative, philosophical mosaic of a novel. Of course, the title is a reference to "1,001 Nights" and, like that work, a major element featured here is stories - the stories that come down to us from history, and the stories that we tell ourselves.

Although the content is quite different, the 'feel' of this book reminded me quite a bit of Umberto Eco's 'Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana.'

Narrated from an opaque utopia, 1000 years in the future, we are told of the great war that change
Candace
Magical Realism? I would have guessed fantasy. This book really crosses the line from magical realism into fantasy. I love fantasy, but some people will care that this book is about imaginary creatures (jinnis) set in an imaginary world (a world with a veil between it and another world where magic and magical creatures can cross through from one to the other) which is the definition of fantasy fiction.

I have read books by Rushdie before and I was floored by the beauty of the language and his us
Snotchocheez
Gotta admit, Salman Rushdie's brand of self-indulgent fanciful fiction will probably never win 'Best of' awards from me (in fact, the only reason I bothered reading this was my recent obsession with his ex-wife, "Top Chef"'s host Padma Lakshmi, to try to {however vicariously} live through him). There was enough here to appreciate his Pynchon-esque intellect, but this modern day update of the timeless "1001 Arabian Nights" fell somewhat flat for me. The whole time I was reading this I was constan ...more
Nita Kohli
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I got an advance copy of this book from the publisher in return of an honest review

Finally done with this book!! I would have completed it way back had I not been super-busy and tired. So, it took me a lot more days than I usually require to finish a books of this size.

Coming back to the book, Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights is the latest book from the renowned author Salman Rushdie. His book Midnight's Children is the only book that has received more than one Booker Prize. This
Biron Paşa
İki Yıl Sekiz Ay Yirmi Sekiz Gece (yani 1001 gece) tuhaf bir roman. İbn Rüşd ve Gazzali'nin arka planını oluşturduğu cinlerle insanlar arasında geçen bir Dünyalar Savaşı'nı konu ediyor. Uçan insanlar, şimşekler, mezarından dirilenler, sürekli sevişen cinlerle dolu bir kitap bu ve düşünürsek, neredeyse imkânsıza yeltenen bir kitap bu; bu kadar konuyu yapaylaşmadan, böyle konuları çocuklaşmadan anlatmak çok zor. Bence teknik olarak altından kalkabilmiş Salman Rushdie.

Bu konuları 300 sayfada anlat
Gumble's Yard
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Deliberately fantastical novel, consciously based around the power of storytelling and the mixing of human and spirit worlds in “1001 and 1 Nights”.

The story is actually narrated 1000 years in the future focusing on a period of 1001 days (shortly after the present day) when the jinn world suddenly breaks through into the human world causing chaos.

The book also goes back to the 12th Century and a dispute between two real-life Islamic philosophers: the pious theologian Ghazali of Iran (Renewer of
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This is a hard one to write a review for. I think this is going to be yet another one where I sort out my thoughts as I'm writing.

At first, this was a four star book. The premise is interesting, the idea of using jinn is interesting since I've never read a book with them in it and know very little of the lore, the character Dunia is another interesting one. There were so many interesting tid-bits in the first story/chapter that I was really looking forward to reading this, even disappointed when
Allen Adams

It’s no secret that the line between genre fiction and literary fiction has become blurry in recent years. The tropes of fantasy and science fiction have been embraced by many writers operating outside the confines implied by genre, leading to a richer and more meaningful experience on both signs of that increasingly-hard-to-see line.

Salman Rushdie has never been afraid to incorporate genre conventions into his own work. The author’s latest is “Two Years E
jeremy
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
how were such things to be understood? it was easier to believe that Chance, always the hidden principle of the universe, was joining forces with allegory, symbolism, surrealism and chaos, and taking charge of human affairs, than it was to accept the truth, namely the growing interference of the jinn in the daily life of the world.
like an apologal avengers/peter pan mash-up with scheherazade as the origin story, salman rushdie's latest novel, two years eight months and twenty-eight nights is h
Ana
There is no other writer like Rushdie out there. He has a perfect combination between the understanding of Oriental and Western philosophy, myth and modern developments. This allows him to web together stories that include Facebook, but also jinni spirits from the olden days. You get the feeling that his worlds are, in fact, so fantastic, that they are too fantastic. But this is what I love about his writing, and I'm sure a lot of people do: he does not get stuck in one single register. He doesn ...more
Ravi Gangwani
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, children-books
When Micheal Jackson was dead on June 25, 2009. I closed my room, locked the internal sockets and wept because with for his death, a dream was closed. A dream to meet him, to tell him, to let him know that he was the first person who injected inside me the first germ of any form of art.

And now the second dream is lying ahead, shaping its face from hideouts into the locales of clouds - a dream to meet Sir Salman Rushdie and JM Coetzee.

If Sir Coetzee is my torchlight in finding the path to wisdom.
Arun Divakar
There was a literal flood of Russian publications in India during the 1980’s and 90’s. While this was a reflection of India’s leftist leanings, it later came to light that there was a ploy by Russian intelligence to sway young minds very early into the socialist/communist mind-set. Be that as it may, they were a big part of growing up in the 80’s and amidst the shining pages of a children’s book I had come across the picture of a matryoshka doll which still remains as a faded image within my min ...more
Nancy
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rich, thoughtful, fantastical, beautifully and masterfully written. A fable of a war between the earth and Fairyland, between humans and jinni, that is also a meditation on philosophy, religion, love, fear. Wonderful. Loved it.
Galadrielė
Nov 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
☆1.25/5☆

DNF @ pg 90

A Big DNF to this one. AGAIN. I've DNF'ed it twice, lol.

It took me a while to read those 90 pages. Regret it.
Lemar
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Salman Rushdie is hip. Somehow I always felt his books would be boring. Although I sympathized with the guy, and I admired his fighting spirit, I never read one of his books. He seemed sort of s Saint of literature. Well I was wrong again. This book is lively, often funny and beautifully written, its deep wisdom is woven into the story with expert grace.
Rushdie does not shy away from the fact that everyone knows his history and instead uses that to create another level on which this great novel
Stephen
this book is one of those where you either love it or hate it, as rushdie in his latest book has turned to a story about good and evil through magical and supernatural and also the book feels a different telling of the arabian nights and the eastern stories we learnt as children but more adult version.
Lauren Stoolfire
Jun 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
This is my first Salman Rushdie novel. I only listened to approximately 25% of the audiobook, before I realized I wasn't interested or invested in the characters or what was happening. It's quite dry and I was struggling to focus on it, which usually isn't a problem for me when it comes to audiobooks. Maybe someday I will try again in print.
Paul Gleason
Rushdie's novel is a headache-inducing regurgitation of his major themes, which were fresh in the late-1980s, but are now out of date. Metamorphoses abound, as does the blurring of fact and fiction. The worlds of fact and fiction blend, the wall that separates pop culture and high culture disintegrates. The dark world of faith-based fascistic religion battles the light of open-mindedness, art, storytelling.

Characters emerge with the frequency of a Dickens' novel, but they neither posses agency
Leah
Once upon a time, in our own time...

Back in the 12th century, disgraced philosopher Ibn Rushd has a love affair with Dunia, who he thinks is a young woman of Jewish descent, but is actually a princess of the jinn. In these far-off days there are slits between the world of the jinn and our own world, and the jinn sometimes interfere with humanity, often wickedly, but Dunia is unusual in that she falls in love with a human and has children with him – many children, sometimes twelve or more at a ti
Bruce
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a number of Salman Rushdie’s novels, enjoying some more than others. This is one that I particularly liked. Rushdie’s work is almost always unrestrained in terms of exuberance and imagination, expansive in terms of subject matter, and vast in terms of time and place. This novel is no exception. Tidy it is certainly not.

The plot involves humans and jinni and crosses between two worlds, the human and the semi-divine. The time span ranges from a millennium before the present to a millen
Bandit
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just revisited my review for my first Rushdie's read, Enchantress of Florence, and I can practically copy and paste it here, so much of it applies. Rushdie writes gorgeous fairy tales for adults. They are stunning enough to motivate the reader to overlook the page long sentences and tangential almost dialogue free exhaustively descriptive narrative. I liked this one more, though, mainly because it had to do with Jinni, one of my favorite mystical beings. In fact this book is an account of (as th ...more
  • Ève de ses décombres
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • Northwoods
  • Tasty: The Art and Science of What We Eat
  • Frozen Big Golden Book (Disney Frozen)
  • The Ecliptic
  • Not on Fire, but Burning
  • Secretariat Reborn
  • Elect H. Mouse State Judge
  • Have Wormhole, Will Travel
  • Smoke Eaters (Smoke Eaters, #1)
  • The Thing about Great White Sharks: And Other Stories
  • The Dreyfus Affair: The Scandal That Tore France in Two
Sir Ahmed Salman Rushdie is a novelist and essayist. Much of his early fiction is set at least partly on the Indian subcontinent. His style is often classified as magical realism, while a dominant theme of his work is the story of the many connections, disruptions and migrations between the Eastern and Western world.

His fourth novel, The Satanic Verses, led to protests from Muslims in several coun
“everything is relative, one man’s absolute belief is another man’s fairy tale;” 28 likes
“We were all trapped in stories, she said, just as he used to say, his wavy hair, his naughty smile, his beautiful mind, each of us the prisoner of our own solipsistic narrative, each family the captive of the family story, each community locked within its own tale of itself, each people the victims of their own versions of history, and there were parts of the world where the narratives collided and went to war, where there were two or more incompatible stories fighting for space on, to speak, the same page.” 18 likes