Start by marking “Defying Doomsday” as Want to Read:
Defying Doomsday

Defying Doomsday

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Teens form an all-girl band in the face of an impending comet.

A woman faces giant spiders to collect silk and protect her family.

New friends take their radio show on the road in search of plague survivors.

A man seeks love in a fading world.

How would you survive the apocalypse?

Defying Doomsday is an anthology of apocalypse fiction featuring disabled and chronically ill prot
Published May 2016 by Twelfth Planet Press

To ask other readers questions about Defying Doomsday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defying Doomsday

Corinne
Apr 26, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm in this! My story is "And the Rest of Us Wait," which is described on the back copy as such: "Teens form an all-girl band in the face of an impending comet."

I mean, what else are you going to do?

It shares a setting with my novel On the Edge of Gone, and a secondary character crosses over. They can be read in either order--they're entirely independent of each other.

Hope you enjoy! As for me, I can't wait to dig in and read all these other stories.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
This anthology was funded by a pozible campaign that was launched Swancon Easter weekend 2015, and delivered a few weeks and a year later in May 2016.

"And the Rest of Us Wait" by Corinne Duyvis

This short story goes hand in hand with Corinne's latest book that came out in March, On the Edge of Gone. Iveta is famous for a talent show she once appeared on, however she's just like everyone else when a comet is set on destroying the earth, and Iveta and her family join countless others in a refugee c
Intisar Khanani
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book, folks. This book. Just the premise is fantastic: every story features a character with a disability / chronic illness facing the apocalypse. The execution, though? Almost flawless. There were maybe two stories I didn't really love, and that was probably a matter of taste. The issues, the characters, the details of the apocalypse--so varied, so well done, and so thought-provoking. There was diversity in ability, in race, gender, culture, and each story just sucks you in with all its in ...more
Lauredhel
I adored this book! People with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses are having their own stories and adventures after the apocalypse. In some, the disability is a drawback, realistically so and without any wallowing or maudlinness (is that a word? Maudlinity?); in some, a complicated thing that exists and is pretty orthogonal to the action; in some, it comes with some advantages - but without falling headlong into the tropes of Disability Superpower or Inspirational Cripple.

The apocalypses an
Lauren Mitchell
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: by-me
Aside from the part where yes, I am in this, and yes, I did spend a disproportionate amount of time being delighted over the author listing in the back including me and one of my especial favourite people (hint: her surname comes right before mine), I am giving this five stars because I genuinely, truly, think every story in this anthology is worth it.

These stories are just amazing pieces of various worlds after the end of the world, and how people with a whole range of disabilities adapt to the
Alexandra
I supported this book through its Kickstarter campaign and I am so excited that it is finally here.

"People with disability already live in a post-apocalyptic world," says Robert Hoge in his Introduction to this volume. The central character of every story in this anthology has some sort of disability or chronic illness - but the point of the story is not that. The point is people getting on with surviving the apocalypse. Some do it with more grace than others; some do it with a lot more swearin
Miriam Mulcahy
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm terrible at writing reviews, so here are my tweets from this evening as I read:

@StuffedO @DefyingDoomsday I’ve devoured the first four stories and OMG it’s completely fabulous so far! ❤ #needmoretea *keeps reading*

@StuffedO @DefyingDoomsday Something terrible has happened! I reached the end of the book & there wasn’t any more! Was so good, loved it all

Just finished reading @DefyingDoomsday, amazing collection of stories. Loved it all. Get yourself a copy.

@StuffedO @DefyingDoomsday You kn
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I often have trouble with short story collections. I'll read a story, then put the book down and wander off for a while. It takes me forever to get through an entire anthology, no matter how good the stories are.

I was surprised to find that wasn't the case with Defying Doomsday. Robert Hoge's introduction hooked me right from the start by providing an insightful context for the anthology and setting the tone. Corinne Duyvis then took over with an earth-shaking story that manages to be both angry
La La
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers interested in disabilities portrayed in Science Fiction stories.
This would be 3.5 stars on my blog. As with any multi-author collection there was a mixed bag of ratings. There were a few meh, a few good, and a couple of excellent stories. This anthology has a twist that all of the main characters are otherly-abled, and that was excellent in itself!

I participated in a read-a-long for this title and will be doing a wrap-up blog post about it. I will add the link here when it is posted.
ellenbutnotdegeneres
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been ready for this book since the Pozible campaign went live. I am always excited to see what is coming out from Twelfth Planet Press, so this book was immediately on my radar, especially given how great their Best of YA anthologies have been. It was amazing to read so many wonderfully crafted stories that center around individuals who are disabled and thus so often ignored or written off in apocalypse-centered fiction. As someone who has chronic illnesses and is disabled it was really, re ...more
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Biased, since I have a story in this.
Daniel
This review originally appeared on Skiffy & Fanty.com

“People with disability already live in a post-apocalyptic world.” – Robert Hoge

This crowd-funded anthology of post-apocalyptic fiction showcases the theme of disabled or chronically-ill protagonists. Edited by Tsana Dolichva and Holly Kench, the collection features many Aussie female writers (though not exclusively) and names likely both familiar and new to speculative fiction readers. With all of its diversity in characters, apocalyptic
Elinor Caiman Sands
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a story in this book so yes, I'm biased. Obviously I won't comment on my own contribution but I wanted to add how much I enjoyed everyone else's. I feel a little humbled really. All the stories are just so good and stand up equally well, those by relative newcomers as much as those by established writers.

Personal favourites:

And the Rest of Us Wait by Corinne Duyvis - the opening story. A truly gripping piece. It had me gasping out loud at one point. This is the type of story you can't p
Jemimah Halbert
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Defying Doomsday is a riveting collection of short stories of individuals with disabilities or chronic illnesses surviving the apocalypse, the premise for the collection being that it’s not always the ‘fittest’ that survive – it’s about being determined, persistent and inventive.
The apocalypses vary, as do the abilities of the individuals: a fourteen year blind girl survives for months in a lab by the ocean after a plague wipes out everyone she knows; a Deaf boy and his deadly companion raid aba
Zivan
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a visually impaired person I've often thought of myself as one of the first to die in an apocalyptic setting. But when you stop to think about it, apocalypses can be as complicated and diverse as real life and there's a place in them for the skills and abilities of people with some impairment or other.

There is a real life story about a blind person that lead a group of people out of the world trade center with his guide dog through the dark stairway during 9/11.

I found the short story collect
Rachel
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel that this book is one of the most important short story collections out there today. While being a disabled person myself I can say that the representation of disabled people in literature and other forms of media is starting to slowly get better I still feel that it has a long way to go before the representation is fully noticed in society. Although this collection of short stories does allow me to feel some sort of connection to the main characters that I have not experienced with many ...more
Heather Iveson
Solid collection of stories featuring protagonists with disabilities and chronic illnesses, the stories by Seanan McGuire and Janet Edwards were my standouts, but the overall standard was really high. There were a couple that weren't my particular cup of tea, but I'm sure they have no shortage of fans.
Rachel Parrott
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Defying Doomsday" turns survival of the fittest on its head while questioning just what 'fitness' and 'worthy' can mean. Lovers of apocalypse fiction, short stories and those who want to see more diversity of protagonist should pick up a copy.
Carol Ryles
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Defying Doomsday is an important anthology. Its fifteen stories deliver diverse and realistic representations of mostly young people with disabilities. Although their afflictions are physical, these people are defined by their personalities, inner strengths, hopes, fears and talents.

My three favourite stories tick all the boxes for what makes fiction resonate for me, i.e., a strong narrative voice, rounded characters and well-painted settings that allow imagined worlds to seem believable, while
Merrie Destefano
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Took a well-needed break today and read two short stories from a wonderful anthology I stumbled upon: DEFYING DOOMSDAY. I can't even begin to describe how amazing and well-written each story has been so far, each touching on the unique combination of an apocalypse and people with disabilities. I never would have thought to combine these two elements, but the book hits you right at that cross-section of survival and humanity. Who deserves to live? How difficult is it to live when everyone faces d ...more
Michi
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Post-apocalyptic fiction and books with disabled protagonist are two things that are right up my alley so when I heard that this book existed, I had to get my hands on it. I wasn't disappointed. Every story in this is at least decent, many are absolutely excellent. I can't put my finger on it, but something also made many of these stories feel more real than most post-apocalyptic fiction I've come across. I finished them with my heart aching and a huge lump in my throat (which, given the subject ...more
Elanor Matton-Johnson
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
If Goodreads allowed half stars, this would be 4.5. Another excellent Anthology from Twelfth Planet Press - there is a reason I love backing their Pozible campaigns.

My favourite story was probably Seanan McGuire's "Something in the Rain". A terrifyingly possible apocalypse and a protagonist I connected to despite my experience being nothing like hers.

I also really liked Tansy Rayner Roberts' "Did We Break The End of The World?" (I'm a total sucker for her work) & was terrified out of my min
Sandi Parsons
Favourite Line “Georgie," she said, "why would God put flowers in our lungs, if it makes it so hard for us to breathe?”

Post-apocalyptic fiction depicts survival in a changed world full of challenges - where survival often depends on being the strongest. Defying Doomsday is a snapshot of what may happen if you were disabled or had chronic health problems before disaster struck and is a reminder that there are different types of strength.

You can read my full review here
Kerry
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 9, ebooks, anthology, sf
It was lovely to see people more like me in a book for a change - which was, of course, the point of the anthology.

This is a set of excellent stories by a wide range of authors, many new to me.

I highly recommend this anthology, whether you have or know someone with a disability or not. Just maybe, I won't be the first to die when the apocalypse comes as I had always assumed I would be.
Maree Kimberley
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, I'm a little bit biased because I have a story in this anthology. And I'm so proud to be included because this is a fantastic anthology. Such a great concept, so many wonderful stories, and beautiful cover art. You won't be disappointed!
Kate Gordon
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I feel like this is a very important book - but also completely entertaining! There is no dud story in this collection. Absolutely brilliant.
Elizabeth Lhuede
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection featuring many stories by Australian women, including the whimsical "Tea Party" by Lauren E Mitchell and a moving by Stephanie Gunn, "To Take into the Air My Quiet Breath".
Tsana Dolichva
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Obviously, I'm biased.
Nat
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, print
I loved almost every story in this anthology, which is a rare for me in a short story collection. I generally dislike apocalyptic stories where the survivors are all at each other's throats. I appreciated the fact that all of these stories looked at the genre from a slightly different angle, and often a more feminist angle. Good times.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Researcher by day, writer by night, Tsana is an astrophysicist specialising in the deaths of stars like our sun.
More about Tsana Dolichva

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)