Start by marking “Release the Stars” as Want to Read:
Release the Stars

Release the Stars

Can love be measured in percentages?

After her girlfriend leaves her for a man, broken-hearted novelist Charlie Cross moves from New York to Los Angeles to work on a TV show based on her books. Charlie vows to never date any woman who isn’t a hundred percent certain of being a lesbian. But when she is seduced by gorgeous bisexual cooking show host Ava Castaneda, whom she’s
Published December 21st 2015 (first published December 16th 2015)

Start your review of Release the Stars
Kara
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie is over-the-top unlikeable. She makes bad decisions that hurt people she supposedly loves, and she focuses every conversation with her friends on herself. As much as I enjoy alcohol and being with people who enjoy alcohol, Charlie clearly has a drinking problem.

Other than being the main character in a book, it’s not clear why her former lover, her friends, and Ava all love her, want to spend time with her, and have such faith that she is a wonderful person. She consistently treats them
Les Rêveur
Release the Stars by Harper Bliss

I have just reread this book again for the fifth time if not more and just realised that i hadn't actually put into words how much i enjoyed it the first time i read it.

My Synopsis

Charlie is coming out of the worst break ups imaginable... Not only has her girlfriend left her but she's left her for a man... The ultimate betrayal in Charlie's eyes. Charlie is a writer and is given the opportunity to move from New York to Los Angeles to work on a TV series that i
Tara
This book pissed me off beyond measure for the first half or so. Charlie is obnoxious with her "must be 100% lesbian" rule and I wanted to give up. However, I always like Harper Bliss so I stuck it out and I'm glad I did. Everyone around Charlie knows her rule is stupid and it's great to see when she figures it out too.

My only other beef is that I want more of Ava and what she's thinking.

Full review here: http://www.thelesbianreview.com/relea...
CLo
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good read 3.5*

So overall I enjoyed the read but not with a ton of frustration toward Charlie and a bit of a loss of Jo's need to be her friend. I'm not gonna lie I did want to snack Charlie once or twice or ten times throughout the book. Thank goodness for characters like Liz and Ava or else I think I think I may have stopped reading it.
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I laughed, I cried (almost, I'm not really a crier per se), I got so freaking angry I wanted to reach into my Kindle and smack Charlie across the face. All in all an amazing first novel from an already favorite author.

I really enjoyed the premise of this story; girl gets left by girlfriend for a man. Now girl won't consider dating anyone else unless they are 100% lesbian so as not to get left for a man, again.

Harper's stories always come off very realistic to me. I could absolutely picture all
Book Worm
Ok, did any of you actually like Charlie? I didn't. She wallows in self-pity, is over the top jealous, insecure, self-centered and more times than one a real pain in the ass.
God, I wanted to slap some sense into her more than once. What does Eva see in her?

This is a sentiment that repeatedly crossed my mind while listening:
Dear Eva, obviously you're a much better person than I am and you have infinitesimal more patience and more forgiveness in your heart than I probably would have.

description

But hey I did
Jaylee
Ugh. Okay. As a story, I'd probably give it 3.5 or 4 stars. The writing is good, the characters are complicated and complex, and it tackles hard things and pushes the characters, emotionally. It's not really a great romance novel, though... it's instalove followed by lots of angst and drama, and Ava is too perfect and too accepting of Charlie's general horrible-ness. I had a hard time believing anyone would find Charlie worth dating, given the way she treats people. But most of the romantic rela ...more
Kexx
I don't know, I think I set too high a standard for Harper Bliss and she just doesn't hit it. Per se, nothing wrong, but I got bored and flicked though some bits that didn't really interest me. None of the characters grabbed me. Sorry.
Agirlcandream
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
How would you behave if the woman you have lived with for seven years dumps you for a man?
In Charlie's case, not so great. She's reeling from the betrayal. Good thing she has a couple of solid friends who refuse to let her wallow in her misery. Over (many) drinks she rationalizes her convictions that she will from now on only date gold star lesbians. She's learned her lesson.
When she is introduced to celebrity chef Ava at a party, a woman she has had a crush on for years, she is enchanted and c
Linda
This was an entertaining and infuriating read for me. The whole story/plot is entertaining and the infuriating part is just down to Charlie who was just so insecure that it’s bordering to the point of paranoia! Story was on Charlie’s POV - would have been great if there were more insights on Ava, other than she’s way to patient when it comes to Charlie and hot as hell. I liked the build-up between Ava and Charlie, their flirting and loved Ava’s for her patience with Charlie. I mean twice she was ...more
Det. Nidhi
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This would have been a 5 star read, but Charlie's character had me so confused. I don't know whether to like her or hate her. Irrespective of that, this book is great, I mean I love this author and I expect nothing less from her.
Alexis
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lesfic
Normally I thoroughly enjoy the books I read by Harper Bliss who has written one of my all time favorite series French Kissing Series Box Set: Seasons 1-3.

However I had a really hard time finishing this novel. Charlie in my opinion really is a horrendous human being and I really don't understand how Ava could forgive her so easily and take her back after the way Charlie treated her. It makes me wonder if Ava has some self-esteem issues.

Also speaking as a bisexual woman, the bi phobia in this boo
Margaret
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: l-words, arc
The wonderful part about picking up a Harper Bliss book is that you know you're in safe hands - a Bliss book is never going to be a one or two star read.

With that said, this is one of those books where I really struggled to know what score to give it - because I found the lead character and our main lens, teeth-gratingly annoying and this really impacted my enjoyment of the book at the whole...In any book with romance as one of its main storyline backbones, you have to want the romance to happen
Jane Shambler
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well!!!

Harper has done it again. Whenever I start reading one of her books I find work of all kind and communication with people further from my mind. Harper yet again grabbed me from the first to the last word. Unable to put it down. Loved it. It's an excellent story funny, interesting and a very enjoyable journey. Thanks Harper for yet another great read.
Dee

There’s no denying Harper has the gift of the gab when penning lesbian erotica. I have read and enjoyed many of her short stories. When seeking out well written lesbian erotica Harper is my go to author, and the scenes in this story did not disappoint! Early on I thought she was going to venture into something I’m not a fan of in ‘short’ FF stories. However, by the end of the story I was going – do it, do it, do it. And when they did, wow holy shit cakes. Thank goodness I have a kindle
Ameliah Faith
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lets Get Cooking
Ms. Bliss has challenged herself to writing a book a month for a year. This is an amazing goal to set but she is off to an excellent start with Release the Stars.

Charlie is a successful writer whose books are being made into a TV series. Feeling betrayed, Charlie is trying to get over her ex who left her for and married a man. She is obsessed with finding a girlfriend who is 100 % lesbian. One day her BFF Nick takes her to a dinner party hosted by Charlie's celebrity crush and a
Dee
Addictive!

That's the only word I can use to describe Harper's writing style. I thoroughly enjoyed the flow of Release the Stars, even if it was hard not to want to smack Charlie sometimes. Honestly, I loved this book because I fell in love with the character Ava Castaneda. Everything about this character was captivating. Her chairisma and outlook on life made me want to change my own perspective on love itself. Awesome read.
T.B. Markinson
I’ve lost count of how many stories I’ve read by Harper Bliss, but I do know that Release the Stars is one of my favorites. Charlie is the type of character you want to knock some sense into. And she’s in need of a reassuring hug. Ava is the type of woman many of us dream about. Watching them collide is a wonderful ride, with lots of ups and downs, and some blistering hot sex scenes. Well worth a read.
Ty
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve only started reading Harper Bliss’s books recently, and I’m really, really enjoying them. This is as well written as any of them, but I found Charlie a touch unlikeable (though also very realistic and believable, so that’s another testament to good writing).
Heidi
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this story. The main character Charlie is very flawed but her friends are a great support for her and she learns a lot about herself and her flaws. Even with her flaws Charlie is very likable.
Kent
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been a big fan of Harper's work for a while now and this is definitely my favorite story by Harper so far. I loved it!
Astrid
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Nice, easy read for the beach. Enjoyed it.
NMonroe
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Looooved. And those sex scenes were pretty 🥵 !
Atlanta Whitlock
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read this book, and I think that this is another superb book written by Harper. You actually get lost in with the characters so it's like you can feel what they're going through and all of their thoughts.

Charlie is now working in L.A after having finishing with her girlfriend as she left her for a man, all she wants to do is to get away from everything that reminds her of her Ex Jo. She currently is writing a script for a TV show which is based on her books, the one thing tha
Tracie Mills
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story so much that I kept gravitating back to it. Forget dishes, forget chores, I had to see what was happening with Charlie and Ava. I tried to stay away. I'm horrible at writing reviews, but I found this book sweet, sexy and a little angsty. It's everything I enjoy reading in a story and a lesbian story at that! I wish we had more lesbian movies like this.

I'm tired of lesbians being portrayed as artsy, edgy and extremely angsty. Believe it or not there are lesbians that are happy
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlie is flawed but likeable and I found myself really cheering for her and Ava. There’s some angst along the way as you would expect and with the love, support and honesty of her friends I hoped she would get where she wanted to go.

The premise was nice although at times I wished there was more depth to the characters and relationships, but this really was a book I enjoyed reading. Harper’s writing style is quite enjoyable and engaging so definitely have a read.
Kathryn
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes butch/fem fiction
Recommended to Kathryn by: Amazon - Kindle First
This book was just "ok". Nothing amazing. I found I really disliked the main character, "Charlie". I cared more for the poor women she came in contact with. Charlie is neurotic, self loathing and her own worst enemy. I should have known by the cover that this was butch/fem fiction.
Sahara Randall
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
By far this is the best one I've read yet! But I love to be proved wrong so keep'em coming!!!
Heinerway
A highly entertaining book!
Cindy Stein
Charlie (Charlotte), an author, moves to LA when her books are sold to a network for a TV series. She's escaping NYC and the recent breakup of a 7 year relationship with a woman who is now involved with a man. Convinced she should only date women who are "100% lesbian," she hesitates when she meets Ava, the star of a cooking show who is a longtime crush. Ava is bisexual and Charlie fears that Ava will leave her for a man.

When I got this book I looked forward to an exploration of a lesbian's jour
« previous 1 3 next »

• One Golden Summer
  • Unadulterated Something
  • Finding Jessica Lambert
  • The Adventurers
  • Irregular Heartbeat
  • The Woman in 3B
  • The Scent of Rome
  • A Taste Of Love (The Village Romance, #2)
  • Coming Home
  • Conflict of Interest (Portland Police Bureau, #1)
  • Ride the Wave
  • Always More (Sports, #1)
  • Dare to Love
  • Heart of Ice
  • Departure from the Script (The Hollywood Series, #1)
  • Paper Love
  • Damage Control (The Hollywood Series, #2)
  • The X Ingredient
Harper Bliss is a best-selling lesbian romance author. Among her most-loved books are the highly dramatic French Kissing and the often thought-provoking Pink Bean series. She is the co-founder of My LesFic, a weekly newsletter offering discount deals on lesbian fiction.

Harper lived in Hong Kong for 7 years, travelled the world for a bit, and has now settled in Brussels (Belgium) with her wife and

News & Interviews

“Charlie’s soul. It was odd to have this realization in front of a bunch of strangers, her softball team, and under a scorching hot spotlight, but for Ava, Charlie would try. She would” 0 likes