Start by marking “Lantern (Lantern #1)” as Want to Read:
Lantern (Lantern #1)

Lantern

(Lantern #1)

Five days before Halloween, all sixteen-year-old Tori has on her mind is vacationing with her family and scoring lots of candy. Her grandmother’s estate, with its Gothic spires and trails that lead out to the woods, holds an unexpected secret: a lantern that lights up for Tori and nobody else. Certain that it’s a ghost or a prank, she investigates further and discovers a ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 118 pages
Published December 11th 2015 by Czidor Lore, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Lantern, please sign up.
Chess Desalls Sept. 30, 2017 Update: The paperback edition of Lantern has been retired. There's now a more widely distributed paperback of the entire Lantern…moreSept. 30, 2017 Update: The paperback edition of Lantern has been retired. There's now a more widely distributed paperback of the entire Lantern collection, which includes Lantern, Beacon, and Torch.

----

Hi Scott, and thank you Auntie J! The ebook is now available for Kindle.

Since the dimensions of the print edition aren't of a standard size, the paperback won't be sold on Amazon even though it published on Dec. 11. Print copies are exclusively available through Lulu.

Very best,

Chess (less)

Start your review of Lantern (Lantern #1)
Amy Leigh
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3 1/2
I found this short story to be a pleasant one but some things didn't match up for me. It seems that the writing style is a much better fit for middle grade and Tori was much more fitting to be in that age range as well.

The story itself was beautifully told with Tori and her family blooming to life. I do wish there was more detail about the house and the grounds of her grandmother's estate. It seemed like a very intriguing place.

Tori and her family are away visiting her grandmother for
Dianne
Sweet, refreshing and safe for even younger readers! Imagine the magic of Halloween, the special bond between a grandparent and a grandchild and an amazing tale of a special lantern and its tiny occupant. LANTERN by Chess Desalls is a short, yet beautifully simple tale of caring when Tori, a sixteen-year-old girl discovers a strange light flashing deep in the woods and lets her curiosity lead her on a mission to save the young man trapped within a magical lantern.

Jared isn’t sure how long he
Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger)
This is a very sweet story of fantasy and young love. I adore the grandmother and how she believes in and helps her granddaughter, Tori. I also like how much Tori enjoys being with her little brother, despite their 13-year age difference. And I just love the ending. : )
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy, YA and kidlit fans
A stunning cover and the promise of a heart-warming story - who wouldn't want to get their hands on this? That's precisely how I've felt ever since I saw this book on NetGalley back in autumn. Unfortunately for me, the book was already archived when I found it - which meant I couldn't request the ARC anymore. I was disappointed, but I hoped I'd be able to get it somewhere later.

Fast forward several months. Halloween already forgotten, it's the wintery goodness of the coming Christmas. And I find
Chess Desalls
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

5 Star review by Hilary Hawkes for Readers’ Favorite:

Lantern by Chess Desalls is a Young Adult novella that tells the story of what happens when teenager Tori discovers a strange lantern in the grounds of her grandmother’s property. It’s days away from Halloween and Tori, her three-year-old brother, and their parents are visiting and have plans for the approaching traditional spooky night. But Tori is shocked and mystified when she finds that the lantern contains a trapped person called Jared,
Siobhan
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel as though my rating for this story is much lower than what everyone else is rating it. I’d like to say that I can understand some of the higher ratings, yet for me I couldn’t really bring myself to go all out with my stars.

It was a nice little story, yet it wasn’t overly brilliant.

It was a short read, something you can complete in next to no time at all. The story itself is sweet, although it was far too predictable for my liking. I know that in stories of this length it can be quite
Kira Simion
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-for-free, 2018
3.5 stars rounded up because of that twist!

There's:
•Originality! Who's heard of a guy trapped in a lantern before?
•The writing has a good flow. Sometimes the action slows, but it's never for long.
•A nice little twist at the end. (May lead into book 2 perhaps).
•The fact that it didn't end on a cliffhanger. It's so short that I thought it would.
•Too short though! Hoping for a longer story with perhaps a more in-depth magic world!
Alina
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Also reviewed for Alina Melinda's Reads
This charming and romantic tale was a breath of fresh air. Sixteen-year-old Tori adores Halloween and she can hardly wait to get her costume ready for this year's trick-or-treat. But until the spooky night, there is time for a short vacation so Tory, her little brother and her parents are paying a visit to her grandmother. Grandma lives on a big spooky ranch close to the forest and this makes it even more enjoyable for our girl. One night she wanders around
Paula  Phillips
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lantern is firstly a quick read as it is a novella story rather than an actual book , it is set in contemporary times though it does have flashbacks to another time which I would have guessed as a centuries ago from the few details the reader is given throughout the pages. The book starts in a tiny village where a teen boy Jared is working for a Lantern maker - Jared also has a wooden leg. The story then jumps back to contemporary times where a teen girl Tori is staying at her grandmother's ...more
Dedra
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this short story! I definitely want a physical copy of this for my collection.
Jenny Houle
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for an unbiased opinion. (Actually, I received all three books in the trilogy.)

I know that this is a novella, and so the reading was short and easy. Some characters were well defined, yet others left me wanting more. Also, I know this is the first book in the trilogy, so I'm really hoping more things will be explained quickly in the next two books.
Lindberg
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun Story.

This was a very enjoyable tale. I am 77 yrs old, but this book awoke the child of my inner self.
i heartily recommend this book to all who are young at heart. It also makes a great story to read to your Grandchildren.
A.L. Kaplan
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lantern, by Chess Desalls, is a charming little YA mystery. I thoroughly enjoyed Tori’s journey to discover the what made the lantern on her grandmother’s property suddenly begin to glow.
Ashlyn
I liked how it was short, sweet, and to the point. The characters were creative and I loved the relationships between them. It was unique and a fun mystery. A great read!
Sep
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonas Lee
A modern day fairy-tale set around Halloween. People will enjoy the simple background and the slight (if not quick) budding romance between the main characters. Good writing with some areas that leave
a couple of pondering questions.
Christina McMullen
This was a wonderful little tale. Perfect for Halloween or an evening in May if that's when you happen to pick it up. A tiny bit spooky & a whole lot of sweet, I even found myself tearing up a little. Loved it!
Samantha Day
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I absolutely loved this book. When she found the lantern glowing get on its own. And the grandmother how awesome was she, she helped her and didn't think she was crazy or anything. I just love, love, love this book. I highly recommend this book. You will not regret it.
Emily
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a bad read. Nice for something quick and mostly fluffy. It's cute and the cover is gorgeous. It has a bit of mystery to it too to draw you in. Perfect for the Halloween season. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Tayla Robichaud
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
This book was very childish and quick. I felt as though I was reading a children’s book. But not a good one lol. I rated this two stars because the plot was okay not horrible. I am confused on what the next two books will be about. Especially at the end with that kiss! Come on, one they are children and two they just met!!
Joey Woolfardis
Jan 13, 2020 marked it as never-read
(Read the first book in the The Call to Search Everywhen series. Did not enjoy, therefore will not be reading anything else by this author.)
Katherine Paschal
**3.5 Out of 5 Stars**
Shailendra
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all thanks to the writer Chess desalls for sending the novel.... It was an awesome tale of believe and love, so intense to put it down before finally finishing it ... A must read !!
Soobie's scared
What a nice, little story!

I entered the giveaway because of its wonderful cover but I didn't win. The synopsis, however, seemed interesting enough and I decided to buy the Kindle version.

Yeah, I also have to say that I've had some troubles concentrating on long books recently and short stories are perfect.

So... That's a Halloween story but giving the weather outside - so un-summery - it fits perfectly into the mood. I love how Tory spend her time creating the perfect outfit for her and her
AK Mama Reads
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
Mama says: if you haven’t picked up this short book I don’t know what you’re doing with your life. Just kidding. But seriously, it’s FREE and it’s a great (though very quick) read. Very gothic feel, with a ghost story flavor. I loved the first book of Desall’s Call to Search Everywhen series and still need to read the others, but this particular story is quite different. For one thing, there’s no time travel, but there are mysteries and spooks and a hard-not-to-love leading lady. Though safe for ...more
M.L.S. Weech
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a charming story that opened the door to an interesting world. Any teen story that has the usual themes but also allows for realistic reactions and consequences sets itself above the rest. Lantern does that for me. It's a nice quick read I think adventurous young teens would enjoy.

The full review can be found at:

Linda Stopani
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It is a YA fantasy book which is one of my favorite genres. This book would be great for reluctant readers. It isn't a long story, but has enough detail to keep your interest. I would like to read more from this author!
Kristen Kooistra
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

A quick, easy read about a teenager staying with her family at her grandmother's house over the Halloween holiday. The entire story takes place either in the house or on the grounds except for the prologue and epilogue.

Tori's Halloween gets a little more exciting, and maybe creepy at first, when she finds a lone lantern far out on her grandmother's land. Even stranger, the lantern is lit, but she can't see what's inside.

A mini-mystery unfolds and with the help of her grandmother, Tori doesn't
A. Powers
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A short, quick read. Seemed more appropriate for younger readers than anticipated.
Susan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, fiction
There’s something about the author’s writing that makes it stilted and plastic. The characters are likewise stilted and plastic, including their language: “. . . I’m [OK], nothing molested or broken . . . “. That word “molested” just doesn’t seem to fit in at all. This short story is not for me.

• Ghost Moon Rising (A Peter Brannigan Novella)
  • The Case Of The Puppy Academy: A Samantha Rain Mysteries Short Story
  • My Worst Day Ever! (Julia Jones' Diary #1)
  • Frenzy (Frenzy #1)
  • Taken (My Brother is an Outcast #1)
  • MEAN GIRLS - Part 1: Books 1,2 & 3: Books for Girls aged 9-12
  • Kellie's Diary #1
  • 4 Cool Books for Kids 9-12: Witch School, Body Swap, Where's Scotty, Diary of a 6th Grade Spy
  • Shattered Magic Beginnings: An Urban Fantasy First-in-Series Box Set
  • Infestation (A Small Town Nightmare, #1)
  • Spud
  • Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know
  • My Life Has Changed! (Diary of Mr TDH AKA Mr Tall Dark and Handsome)
  • The Novice Ghost Hunter
  • The New Kid: Surviving Middle School Is Tough!
  • Yo Momma Is So....Jokes! The Worlds Funniest Yo Mama Jokes!
  • World War 2: 133 Fascinating Facts For Kids
  • Playing with Danger! (Mind Freak #1)
Award-winning YA fiction

Sign up for newsletter updates to get giveaway and new release info.

Lantern (3 books)