Start by marking “Stories of India” as Want to Read:
Stories of India

Stories of India

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  936 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In these stories, Kipling sets the stage for encounters between the East and the West. Kipling takes on the thorny issues of empire, race, race, miscegenation and the practice of going native, and uses them as literary tropes to examine human culture, religion and society.
Paperback
Published September 1st 2003 by Penguin Books India (first published 1885)

To ask other readers questions about Stories of India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories of India

Colleen Houck
I was presented with the 1937 edition of Tales of India as a gift when I visited Sterling Publishing in October of 2010. I'm excited to finally get started reading it. The pages are old and crack easily so I'll have to be careful.

It took me forever to get through this book partly because I was being extra careful with the pages but mostly because it took me a long time to figure out the dialogue with the accents written in. Not exactly what I expected. I thought that it would be more about India
Hitessh Panchal
Too Much ! Kipling is a renowned name in stories, but this one put me off somehow. Regret reading it. Could've Spent time reading something Else.

On the Second thought , it was an encouraging book for me to Finish " Zen And the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" :D
Grant
Dec 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Hardly intriguing. I felt like pulling my hair out at stages. I'll give Kipling one more chance, else this is the end of the road with my journey with him.
James
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book obtaining a two ok star rating is 'generous' to say the least. You had the occasional good or passable book to save the least. The overwhelming vast majority of this book was pretty terrible. The stories Kipling was so fond to revisit of Mulvaney, Ortheris and Learoyd, where overall quite shockingly terrible. I could not believe an author like Kipling could create such works.
Reema D'Souza
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each story is different in its own accord. And Rudyard Kipling's writing makes you feel like you are a character in the story. A wonderful read!
Shantanu
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rereadable
Too bad that Kipling had to be a racist. May be that came with the times that he lived in. But all said and done, one can't argue about his calibre as a writer. He's simply in a class of his own. One almost feels that the author personally lived through every incident he wrote about. There is a first person narrative feel to his stories that almost reads like a journalist's eye-witness account. And that is amazing, for as a journalist he probably would have been an absolute gem. I feel nowhere c ...more
Neha
The stories, characters, situations, portrayals, dialogues are fresh, rich and funny, even though they were written almost a 100 years ago. The language was very Victorian so I had a tough time occasionally when my understanding and interest hit roadblocks of heavy and cursive words of Victorian times. But the stories probably would not have been so funny if not in such a honorary language justifying the colonial times the stories are based on. The most light and funny situations are explained i ...more
Radhika
Tales from India presents the very best of Kipling's short stories. His vignettes of life in British India give vivid insights into Anglo-India at work and play, and into the character of the Indians themselves. Witty, wry, sometimes cynical, these tales with their brevity and concentration of effect are landmarks in the history of the short story as an art-form. Politics, the Raj, and the life of the common soldier are some of the familiar themes associated with Kipling, but these stories also ...more
Gabriela
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts
I love British movies, especially BBC TV series. Those 90 minutes episodes seem to me funny, demure and the accent is more than sexy. Each of Kipling's Indian Tales looks like an episod of a BBC TV series.
Of course, the stories are easy to read but they stick to you and the next one always seems to be more interesting than the previous. Probably it's because of Kipling's subtle and funny style or maybe the exotic indian setting is to blame.
Anyway, Kipling doesn't seem to try hard. He does not w
Raúl
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Segunda recopilación de los cuentos de las colinas, el primer libro de Kipling, uno de los libros favoritos de Borges...
Cuentos de apenas 6 páginas, con un dibujo certero de personajes, tramas en las que está excluido lo "plano", una mirada abierta al mundo mestizo de la India, donde el inglés se convierte en seres anodinos, que intentan mantener trazas de su cultura sin un contexto claro o que se vuelven más indios que los propios indios, donde el indio siempre es más sabio que el civilizado oc
Glen
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a proud time of occupation and maltreatment of an empirical abuse of a race of people ... but stories do arise of and with mutual respect of those on the ground and in the midsts of those days and activities in history. The language is rough and rude, but reflects the world that it was.
Stories told by the indigenous as well as the tourists/invaders. The tales of the occupied, likewise of those soldiers imprisoned by the charge of those acts of occupation and the comeraderie and loyalty of t
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
I've given up! After repeatedly returning to this short story collection for over a month, I just don't want to try any more. I know that Indian Tales is probably very much 'of its time' but the attitudes then are so different to today and I don't even think that the writing is up to Kipling's standard elsewhere. Too much gung ho militarism, racism and male chauvinism, and very little actually about India which was what I wanted to read in the first place.
Sonia
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, india, 2014
I actually found a hard copy of this book at the library (first checked out in 1940!). The cover fell off in my hands.

Enjoyed most of the stories (especially the creepy, scary ones) but I must admit that I skimmed over a few that were mostly just soldiers telling yarns in camp.

I'd like to see some of these made into movies.
Alethea Hammer
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thick accents rendered phonetically are a little difficult to follow and that slowed me down and made me not enjoy some of his army stories as much as if they were easier to follow. On the upside, this collection contains 'The Phantom Rickshaw' which is one of my all time favorite Kipling short stories.
Bogdan
Mar 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-flavor
When I was a little child I enjoyed "The Jungle Book", now I a appreciate Kipling for a lot more than that. And I just started to discover the universe created by Kipling, other books are on my future reading list.
The "Indian Tales" is a collection of short novels centered on british life in colonies. As all books on this topic I enjoyed it.
My copy of this book is in romanian.
Ashwini
Some stories were great. Some I could not understand because they were written in the same manner in which the characters spoke. A typical British ascent which was hard to comprehend. A good read if you want to understand the India under the British rule through a Englishman's perspective.
Campbell
Abandoning this one as I'm not finding it sufficiently engaging. From what I've read others say about it, it's not the best introduction to Kipling's work so maybe I'll try something else of his at a later date.
Sudha Kuruganti
Too much casual racism and too many stereotypes for my taste. I got through this book with extreme difficulty, and the only story I liked was the very first one, 'The Finest Story in the World'.
James Eckman
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I've read all of these before and I read the better ones this time.
Arq Carlos
Feb 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
No lo recomiendo... seguro que hace un siglo esta literatura resultaba entretenida, ya no... waste of time!!
Deepak
Apr 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
bored to death reading old British English and Raj stories
Gayathri Thangamani
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
This one is surely old wives tale from India.. I enjoyed some of the tales... But surely not the best of rudyard kipling
Priya
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best fantasy writer ever. He makes me laugh and cry.
Tara Renaud
Read a good bit of this on my phone(ebook), but had to set it aside to make room for another ebook on my phone. Will come back to it though, as it was getting interesting.
Clivemichael
Interesting, dated, obvious why this is not better known
Steve
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Vividly detailed short stories from the days of the Raj.
BLACK PEARL ;)
  • The Book of Dreams and Ghosts
  • Greek and Roman Ghost Stories
  • Hitler's Pre-Emptive War: The Battle for Norway, 1940
  • The Princess Priscilla's Fortnight
  • Nile Style: Egyptian Cuisine and Culture: Ancient Festivals, Significant Ceremonies, and Modern Celebrations
  • The Book of Nature Myths
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • Intentions
  • Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories
  • Myths and Legends of China
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling...
“There are few things sweeter in this world than the guileless, hotheaded,
intemperate, open admiration of a junior. Even a woman in
her blindest devotion does not fall into the gait of the man she
adores, tilt her bonnet to the angle at which he wears his hat, or
interlard her speech with his pet oaths.”
15 likes
“When little boys have learned a new bad word they are never happy till they have chalked it up on a door. And this also is Literature.” 2 likes