Start by marking “The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)

The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  11,985 Ratings  ·  2,195 Reviews
Lorelai Diederich, crown princess and fugitive at large, has one mission: kill the wicked queen who took both the Ravenspire throne and the life of her father. To do that, Lorelai needs to use the one weapon she and Queen Irina have in common—magic. She’ll have to be stronger, faster, and more powerful than Irina, the most dangerous sorceress Ravenspire has ever seen.

In th
Published March 3rd 2016 by Scholastic Press (first published February 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Queen, please sign up.
C.J. I'm not sure yet. I've sold the first two. We'll see what happens from there. :)

Sasha Alsberg
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book! Such a phenomenal retelling of Snow White!
Emily May
Aug 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a girl who should be queen, rounding up her band of outsiders to reclaim her stolen kingdom with some magical help. Oh wait a second, haven’t we heard this one before?

Oh yeah! Maybe I’m mistaken, but it sounds like the plot of about 80% of YA fantasy novels.

I read 5 chapters of The Shadow Queen before going to sleep the other night and I woke up the next day and couldn’t remember what book I was in. All the characters were mixed up in my head with those from every other YA
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Irina’s smile disappeared. “I don’t require all of the princess, huntsman.”

A chill raced over Kol’s skin. “I don’t understand. Our oath said—”

She leaned forward, her eyes pinning Kol where he stood. “You agreed to do whatever I asked of you. And I am asking you to bring me the princess’s heart.”

I feel like this book wants to be a mixture of Snow White and the Huntsman and the Grisha series and failed spectacularly at both, not least because it was so jaw-achingly dull. You've got your terrifyi
Lola
I guess I could finish reading this one, it's not like it would be a pain in the ass to do so, but I choose not to. I choose not to because I just know it's not going to deserve more than two stars in the end, and I don't have time to waste, sadly. I wish I did, but time is precious when you're in college. This story is not serious enough for me. There's an illusion of seriousness, but I saw right through it.

Also, what kind of person would name their pet bird SASHA?
Maria V. Snyder
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normally I avoid fairy tale re-tellings because I already know the story and how it ends. And I'm sure I'm missing lots of great stories due to this mistaken belief. I plan to change my attitude...er...now :) When my editor sent me The Shadow Queen and ask me to read it for a potential blurb - my first thought was cool cover! And it wasn't until I started reading the book that I realized it had a few things in common with the story of Snow White - those things are poisoned apples, an evil queen, ...more
Maggie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
❝A warrior doesn’t focus on the odds stacked against her. She focuses on her heart, on her will to face the evil in her world and defeat it, and then she finds a way to do it.❞

Buddy read with my favorite, sreeja. Thanks for dealing with my paragraphs and ranting and all caps messages where I was reacting to whatever was happening including shocks and cringes.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I've never really liked retellings. Going into this book, I knew I wouldn't be the biggest

The Shadow Queen is a YA retelling of Snow White. I always really love fairy tale retellings and the cover is beautiful, so color me intrigued.

The book begins with a “once upon a time” backstory that very quickly explains how the evil Queen Irina came to rule Ravenspire by killing the king and how Princess Lorelai became a fugitive at large. The story then picks up nine years later. Lorelai is determined to get her rightful throne back, but in the meantime she must get better at using
Pang
Thank Gosh I read this!!! I LOVE the characters so much!!! The Plot might get 4 stars, but the main couple and their relatioship definitely get 5 stars from me!!! So this book got my 4.5 adorable stars!!!! \(^^D)/

No review for awhile, guys. I want to read first! LOL! Whatever if you love fairy-tale retelling, just go and read it! Gosh I love Kol and Lorelai so much, Did I just say again that I love them?
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I can't decide whether I was impressed or disappointed by this book. I loved the concepts and the world, and it reminded me a lot of the show Once Upon a Time and Snow White and The Huntsman, but I felt really indifferent towards the main character, Lorelai.

I simply did not particularly like or care for her. I actually found her to be super condescending and I don't even think she realized it. She was constantly saying, "Oh, I'm the queen of Ravenspire. I'm the most powerful mardushka in the lan
Maria
Review tk.

HarperCollins is trying to take over the world by publishing all the books with the title 'The (random word) Queen'
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

DNF at 15%.

After a prologue that with few exceptions felt like it could've been copied from the Snow and Regina plot thread from Once Upon A Time (the early version, before things got complicated with back stories), the first chapter began in what felt like the opening sequence of every bad horror movie ever.

Then came a series of stock characters, and, really . . . making a race of dragons flat is an accomplishment that no author should ever attempt to replicate.

Booooo
Cinda
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I thoroughly enjoyed this retelling of Snow White, enhanced with dragons (dragons are always an improvement.)
Alyssa

Book One of the Ravenspire series
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: February 16, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

sreeja

going into this book was kind of like going into battle mostly because the start was so boring(it did redeem itself in the end but still)

The Shadow Queen: 3 stars

buddy reading with my favourite: maggie believe me without you to rant to or laugh with, I would have left this book halfway

Sadly, this is one of those books where things only start to get more interesting in the last few
Andreea Pop
I remember loving Defiance by C.J. Redwine, even though to this day I still haven't picked up its sequels. And The Shadow Queen's awesome synopsis and its availability on Edelweiss instantly made me want to devour each and every word of it. So I did. Sadly, this resulted in my second ever 1-star rating.

This novel, this author, this story -- they all tried. And they failed miserably because they tried too much. Starting with the world, there are so many elements stuffed together in the hope of
C.J.
Apr 11, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I mean ... obviously I'm pretty biased here, but I love this story. :) It was so much fun to write!
Joel (Throne of books)
Get comfortable because this is going to be a long one.

Wow. Just, wow. I'm astonished at just how... Disappointed I am. The Shadow Queen tried my patience real thin. As far as retellings of Snow White go, this is by far my least favorite. Not only was the writing style bland, but get this, the world building, character development, AND the plot were 1) extremely under developed. And 2) Highly unoriginal.
Why the unoriginality? Let me tell you. Have you ever seen Snow White & The Huntsman?
Stacee
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved CJ's Defiance series,so I couldn't wait to get my hands on the book.

I adored Lorelai and Kol. They're awesome separate, but amazing together and their predicament makes things interesting. Never fear, there is still some delicious banter and sweet swoons. The cast of characters is relatively small and it was fantastic to have a fantasy story without eleventy billion names that all look the same. Each character is important and I can't even talk about the awesomeness that is Lorelai's bi
Lindsay Cummings
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A dark and twisted retelling of the classic Snow White. While there have been many retellings, I was super super pleased to see that CJ Redwine's rendition is probably the most unique I've ever read! I absolutely loved her idea of "The Huntsman", and the evil queen is truly twisted in this one. Fun, plot twists and turns, and unique voices for each POV make this one a pleasant fantasy read. Fans of her previous DEFIANCE series will love THE SHADOW QUEEN, especially with such a strong female lead ...more
Darth J
Aug 18, 2015 marked it as no-longer-interested  ·  review of another edition
Well, I originally really wanted to read this, but I've had to since cancel my preorder...
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I am a sucker for the cover of this book, that is what made me see what this book was all about. The inside cover of the book is awesome too, it has a beautiful picture of the kingdom, they have these pictures on Amazon.

In the beginning of the book it tells how the evil Queen Irina kills Princess Lorelai's father and she is forced out of her kingdom Ravenspire with her brother Leo and a guard named Gabril. For the next nine years they stay in hiding with Ga

“You need to trust that I know what I’m doing.” Her voice was firm. “If you can’t trust me in this, how can you trust me to face Irina or rule an entire kingdom?”

There wasn’t anything horribly wrong with this book, I just didn’t enjoy it.

I felt quite sorry for both Kol and Lorelai in this story, both were put in difficult positions, and both had to try and make
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. There were so many cool elements to this story, but I had a hard time getting into it as a whole.

Lorelei is the Snow White figure who can communicate with a bird. Prince Kol can turn into an actual dragon (which was by far the coolest part). Kol turns to the evil queen in Lorelai's kingdom for help and ends up becoming the huntsman. So he's sent off to hunt Lorelai...

I do love most YA fantasy books about a girl taking back her throne with a troop of outsiders, but this one didn't pa
Jodi Meadows
Official comments:

Magic, dragons, and royalty in hiding: THE SHADOW QUEEN hits all the right notes of an incredible epic fantasy. With charming characters, smart prose, and seamless worldbuilding, C.J. Redwine's fantastic retelling of Snow White is sure to cast a spell of wonder.

Unofficial comments:

The DEFIANCE Trilogy is one of my all time favorites, and THE SHADOW QUEEN is right up there with it. The story is beautiful. The characters are delightful (or scary, as the case may be). And the w
Sophie
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

When I first heard about this book, it was because of a lot of US reviewers who adored their copies, which came out last month. Once I found out Scholastic would be publishing The Shadow Queen over here, I immediately requested a copy, and was so grateful to be approved - thanks, Scholastic!

The Shadow Queen told the story of Lorelai, the crown princess to Ravenspire, who has been on the run from her evil ste
Katrin D
DNF at 50%

DISCLAIMER: I normally don't do disclaimers but this time, I'd really like to warn those who liked the book to just stop reading further. I'm currently super pissed off and I'm not going to be polite about this.

“Hair like sunshine, eyes like the midday sky, and pale skin that glowed against her delicate bones—it seemed impossible that someone so dainty and pretty could have used her magic to force an old woman to choke on apples all day long.

Because, as everyone knows, beautiful p
Macarena Yannelli
Wow este libro men. Tiene sus cositas raras, el principio cuesta un poco, pero luego los idas y vueltas del argumento me volaron la cabeza. Irina es una villana nivel Levana.
Si te gustan los retellings, no te lo podes perder.
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Dannii Elle
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 3.75/5 stars.

I really surprised myself by how much I found myself enjoying this story. The prologue held no appeal for me. It seemed a classic case of telling not showing and I worried for my enjoyment during the rest of the book if this unemotional start was anything to judge this by.

Thankfully this did pick up, although I was still not fully invested. I found the early dialogue very contrived and seemed to be largely created to fill the reader in on facts, rather than feel like a
Tabby
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favorites
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

This seemed like a book for me

What I thought

I enjoyed the author’s twist on the Snow White retelling. I also really liked the characters especially Kol I have a soft spot for dragon shape shifters. There's also not alot of characters so each one is important to the story. There's a bit of romance,plenty of action and some great banter. I loved the whole fairytale feel of this book with kings , queens, princesses, princes, dragons and Ogres etc. It made a great fantasy boo
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • Hunted
  • The Great Hunt (Eurona Duology, #1)
  • Sword and Verse (Sword and Verse, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Ivory and Bone (Ivory and Bone, #1)
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • Kingdom of Ashes (A Wicked Thing, #2)
  • Assassin's Heart (Assassin's Heart, #1)
  • Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
  • Vassa in the Night
  • Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
**Please read my FAQ before sending any requests: http://cjredwine.blogspot.com/p/faq.html **

C.J. Redwine loves fairy tales, Harry Potter, and going to the movies. If the novel writing gig ever falls through, she’ll join the Avengers and wear a cape to work every day. To learn more about C.J., visit her website at www.cjredwine.com
More about C.J. Redwine

Ravenspire (4 books)
  • The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)
  • The Traitor Prince (Ravenspire, #3)
  • The Blood Spell (Ravenspire, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“You don't go into battle because you're sure of victory. You go into battle because it's the right thing to do.” 59 likes
“I love you best, and I'll miss you forever.” 23 likes