Start by marking “Nameless Queen” as Want to Read:
Nameless Queen

Nameless Queen

One girl must make a name for herself--or die trying --in this royal fantasy where an unknown peasant becomes the ultimate ruler. But how long can she keep the crown if everyone wants her dead? Perfect for fans of Furyborn, Red Queen, and Everless.

Everyone expected the king's daughter would inherit the throne. No one expected me.

It shouldn't even be possible. I'm Nameless, a cl
Expected publication: January 7th 2020 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Nameless Queen, please sign up.
Rebecca McLaughlin Yes, this is a standalone book. Coin and her clever pals and fierce enemies are in town for one night only! There's always a chance for a sequel, but…moreYes, this is a standalone book. Coin and her clever pals and fierce enemies are in town for one night only! There's always a chance for a sequel, but we'll have to see how the book does before we know whether it's in the cards or not.(less)
Rebecca Great question! The release date has been moved out to 2019, but it is certainly still on its way! I'll see if I can finagle my way into modifying the…moreGreat question! The release date has been moved out to 2019, but it is certainly still on its way! I'll see if I can finagle my way into modifying the details here on GR so that it accurately reflects the publication schedule.(less)

Start your review of Nameless Queen
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review – thank you!

Sigh. You have no idea how disappointed I am to have to say this, but here it is: another much-anticipated YA fantasy of 2020 bites the dust.

The land of Seriden is divided into three categories of people: Royals, who are basically the nobility; Legals, who are middle-class workers; and the Nameless, homeless peasants. The next ruler of Seriden is chosen by the previous ruler, who says the name of their choice as they’re dying. A black crown ta
Laura Steven
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay real talk. I first read this manuscript back in 2015, when I mentored Rebecca during PitchWars. AND I STILL THINK ABOUT THIS WORLD ALL THE TIME. Seriously, building a class system around names -- and lack thereof -- is such a fresh and original twist that I genuinely am in awe of the author. She's worked so fucking hard over the past few years to really make this book shine, and I truly cannot wait for it to be out in the world at last.

Plus, the heroine. Coin. Oh, Coin, how I lo
Mic
Jul 02, 2016 marked it as to-read
I was lucky enough to read a draft of this as an intern. The characters and world-building are all incredible. Can't wait for the rest of the world to fall for Coin and her merry band of misfits.
anna (readingpeaches)
idk how u "unwittingly inherit a kingdom" but i'm into this concept
Emma Yoloswag
Feb 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-yet-released
Okay so I usually wait for more information before I add a book but... this sounds really cool
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
6/25/19
Well this went from 2018 to January 2020 release, but I guess at least now we a cover and release date.
---
It's 2018 and I need more details on this book! Like a cover and a release date, please and thank you.
Fanna
Mar 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
A thief on the throne!!!
Katelynd Gillins
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC for an honest review:

I loved this book. I seriously loved it. The world building was great and had such a fascinating, sassy heroine. One of my favorite things about it was that it managed to be an awesome story without adding an unnecessary romance. It focused on the mystery and all the craziness that went along with it. While it read pretty well as a stand-alone, some of the problems and unknowns that arose from the resolution will sure make for an exciting sequel.
Dee/ bookworm
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-2019
#NamelessQueen #NetGalley

Nameless, like Coin, give themselves a name. It is usually personal and sometimes painful thing and you should never ask how they got their name. When the king dies, Coin ends up with the magical tattoo naming her the next heir. Coin gets new abilities and quickly learns, and practices how to benefit from these abilities. Being on the street her whole life has given her a lot of skills to keep herself alive, and she has an amazing read on people, situations,
Olivia Wildenstein
Coin aka the NAMELESS QUEEN is a whipsmart heroine. She reminded me a lot of Daenerys in GOT, and her guard (who was hands down, my favorite character) reminded me of Ser Jorah.

I almost wished there’d been some romance (I’m a love story junkie), but the book managed to hold my interest even though there wasn’t, which is a feat!

Huge thank you to the author for the ARC.
C.
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
First a few tidbits of information about this story:

- In Seriden there are 3 classes: Royals (upper class), Legals (middle class) and Nameless (poor/homeless).
- Magic is controlled by the King or Queen who bears the crown tattoo. This crown is passed on the deathbed of the ruler by speaking the name of the individual the dying ruler deems fit.
- Coin is one of the many Nameless children on the streets who steal to get by and wakes up after the death of the King with the crown tattoo on her arm
♠️ TABI ♠️
Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
yikes this blurb screams James Patterson and if the concept of the story wasn't so darn intriguing (also hello cover) I'd avoid this
Rebecca McLaughlin
Aug 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hello! I'm the author of this book, and I wanted to take a minute to say THANKS and to share why I'm so excited to be able to share this book!

8/21/2019:

1 - Thanks
This is my debut novel, which means it's my first book that's getting published. We're in the early days still (it's being published in under 5 months, on January 07, 2020), so thank you thank you thank you for checking out this book, adding it to your tbr pile, and/or suggesting it to friends. YOU are why this book is ha/>1
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
Oct 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020
What could be more dehumanizing than having a whole class of people in your society be so below contempt that they do not even have names? Seeing these wretched circumstances allowed in any society makes me feel as though the entire caste system is set up as predator ans prey. The Nameless are subhumans that anyone "above" them are given license to treat as they please. As is the case in Nameless Queen where many nameless are disappearing and no on in power cares at all.

It seems absu
Kayla
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest, I am not really sure how I feel about this book. I did enjoy it, but it didn't really feel original to me. I suppose that is the way to describe it.

In Nameless Queen there is an entire class of people, the nameless, who do not have rights or privileges as citizens because they have no name. The law does not apply to them, nor does it help them, or protect them. As you can imagine from the title the new Queen is chosen from among this group. It takes until almost the end of the b
Jane
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The thing that I liked best about this book was that the main characters were mostly female and that they were strong characters. No love interest to swoop in and save the day. Interesting world building and you can substitute "homeless" for "nameless" and get a different perspective.
Elysian Fields
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was a really fun story about a strong willed, right minded and sassy girl who finds her life flipped upside down. Coin (as she is called because really she is nameless) lives on the streets and must resort to grifting to survive. One morning her life changes when she finds out that the King (how has recently died) has named HER as his successor. Needless to say no one is happy about this, not the upper class (there is a very distinctive cast system in place) or Coin herself.
I won’t give aw
Brittany
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a great read. It was fun, interesting, and had twists that I was pleasantly surprised by.

In the beginning I found Coin a little annoying because of her snarkiness but that made experiencing her growth even more rewarding for me. I liked seeing her evolve from a person who tried to be a lone wolf to one who understood what it meant to be someone’s friend and family.

I also loved following Coin as she navigated being queen of a society that has neglected and un
Becca Mee
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been dying to read this book since I saw it, and I was over the moon when I was approved for this title. If you like scrappy, feisty heroines, books about royalty, court intrigue, unique magic and strong female friendships, then this is a book you want to read.
Coin is a Nameless, a pickpocket on the streets of Seriden, a city with a rigidly enforced class system. There are the elite Royals, the legal, and the Nameless at the bottom. As a Nameless, Coin has absolutely no rights and is unrec
Andrea Clark
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-yet-released
Thank you NetGalley and the publishers of this book for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really wanted to like this book. It started off very intriguing and Coin was very clever and devious and I really enjoyed her character. The book seemed to be headed in the direction I expected. But then it took a turn and I'm not sure where exactly it started going wrong but the whole world created just didn't feel right.

A seemingly large group of people without names? Why couldn't the
Jackie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, arcs, 2019-reads
What a forgettable read.

“The Nameless Queen” begins with the death of the king and while the country awaits its new monarch a Nameless their named Coin sets off to work a con only to find her partner in crime arrested and a crown tattoo on her arm making her as the new Queen. With her loyalties to her people but her power to Congress she finds herself torn between two worlds and both wish to see her dead.

This book has an interesting idea but it never lets itself really go there in terms of the
Aly
3.75/4 rounding up

This book turned out to be better than I expected it to be, so I'm pretty happy about that! It was a quick read due to the story being easy to swallow. The pacing was a bit everywhere though: the beginning was incredibly fast, about 5 chapters in it becomes a good pace, sloooowwws down a ton once we reach the middle, and gradually build back up to a quick pace the closer we get to the end. I had major issues in the beginning and middle, as the pacing was just off to
Meghan
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Random House Children's - Crown Books for Young Readers in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book was so entertaining that it reminded me of House of Night and Divergent at the same time which meant that I could not stop reading. The concept of the Nameless reminded me a lot of Red Queen as well and with so much war and triumph embarking the kingdom and Nameless is set to be q
Dayanara Ryelle
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy shit. I'm still working my way through this (just got it this morning from NetGalley), but if wanting to reach into a book and strangle a character for a nasty surprise they pulled on the protag is your idea of a good story, then you'll love Nameless Queen.

(Done. Said character got way worse!)

Sometimes I think of writing a review and I'm daunted by the idea of putting my delight and joy into words.

And then I realize that I don't have to be any more specific than that. As a fell
Jenny
Oct 27, 2019 added it
I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked the premise of someone from a lower caste becoming queen but it just wasn't executed well for me. I didn't really feel like the universe was developed well enough and it just came up a bit empty. So many questions were left unanswered and I felt like there were just so many things that were impossible. None of it really came together for me.

Looking back at the book, I felt like nothing really happened at all. There wasn't any a
roxi Net
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: roxiown
I enjoyed reading the Nameless Queen -- it was a quick and fun read, yet slightly confusing at times. Coin, a Nameless in a society where Nameless literally have no names (aside from the names they chose themselves ---and those names are chosen out of personal and traumatic events) and no rights, she is magically chosen to become queen. The small country, already uneasy with whisperings of rebellion is ready to erupt as Coin learns how to be queen in circumstances beyond her control. This book i ...more
Nicole
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019, ya-lit, fantasy
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was an interesting read. Coin is a Nameless, the lowest sect of whatever Fantasyland this book takes place in. She ends up, through the means of magic, becoming the next Queen of Fantasyland. Will she survive to claim the throne?

There isn't anything too special with this one, to be honest. It's immensely readable, but there's not anything that sticks out as a "wow" factor (notice that I can't even remember the name of t
Latricia
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
McLaughlin created an interesting world. Power and duty are as often as curse as a blessing and this is especially true in McLaughlin's novel of a street rat who suddenly has a chance to be Queen. On the surface it sounds like it should be a dream, but when looked at in the light of day the reality is not so bright.
She explores issues of economic class and social justice in an accessible way. Her 'villains' are not the evil plotters seeking chaos or complete destruction as in most fantasy
Kat
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Edelweiss, NetGalley, and Crown Books for the opportunity to read and review an E-arc copy of Nameless Queen.
I found Nameless Queen to be a cheek bitter. It has a little something for all fantasy fans. A group of people that are treated less than others. A wayward or reluctant heroine, great characters, and a fast-paced story line with magic and war. The novel will appeal to so many different readers of fantasy and young adult because it has something for everyone. I will be r
S.G. Tillery
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nameless Queen is a fantastic Young Adult debut. I enjoyed the unique concept and the world building was very well done. The action was paced perfectly. One thing that makes this book unique is the lack of romance that you typically see in this genre. Surprisingly, though, I didn’t realize it until the book was over, and I didn’t feel like anything was missing. It was perfectly enjoyable, and very refreshing, to read a YA fantasy without romance at the center. I hope to read more by Rebecca McLa ...more

• Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • The Tenth Girl
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Grace Year
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Memory Thief
  • The Whisper Man
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
Rebecca McLaughlin is the debut author of the upcoming YA Fantasy, NAMELESS QUEEN, which is set for publication in Spring 2020.