Start by marking “Scout (Exodus Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Scout (Exodus Chronicles, #0.5)

Scout

(Exodus Chronicles 0.5)

In the not-too-distant future, humanity is conducting a frantic search for the next step in human evolution. Everlasting life is within their grasp, but one man needs it more than anyone else. It’s the key to ending his already immortal life.
Published December 8th 2015 by Walking Stick Books

To ask other readers questions about Scout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scout

Meenaz Lodhi
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even an evil human has a good side in him. That’s what differentiates human beings from other races in the universe. A thought provoking short story for a great series!
Topsues
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this novella packed full of thought provoking ideas. Ethics, Merit?, The obligation of loyalty or fidelity to The Master was questionable, especially when your existence is a bit like Groundhog Day, because until you succeed, you have to continue until you fulfill your promise, regardless of how many human lifetimes that may take. The twist was brilliant and not realised until the exact moment it happened. I had actually read Enslaved the first full novel in the series before I read this ...more
Lyle Blosser
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
The situation was unique, I will grant that, and did a good job of setting up the premise for what I expect to be the foundation for the Exodus Chronicles books, but the conversations seemed forced and the actions too much like magic given the mundane circumstances. The premise for the "why" of certain things happening seemed too pat, and rang a little false. Also, I didn't quite buy the fact that a large amount of time had already passed for the protagonist to complete the task set before him, ...more
PJ Lea
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read.

It might be a short story but it is jam packed with action. The prospect of living for millennia, but with the constant possibility of death, is intriguing. It also calls into question the future of mankind, a little bleak by all accounts.
Scout was a fascinating character and I really enjoyed his story, I would like to know more about him though as my curiosity has been piqued.
Susan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scout is a short story in the Exodus Chronicles series. This is the first book by the author that I have read so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I found was an interesting look at what makes us unique. While this is a short story, it is thought provoking. I look forward to reading more of this series. I received a copy of this book from the author and chose to leave a review for other readers.
Elizabeth
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting Story! A well written short story about an immortal Scout continually tasked with making worlds ready to be destroyed has been assigned to Earth for millennium. Has he succeeded? Or has humanity rubbed off on him? I received a free copy of this book for review and definitely recommend it.
Catherine Vickers
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Futuristic ideas. Main character has a dark suicidal side, living a monotonous repetitive life. Has a little twist to the plot which leads to an ending that might answer any questions you have raised whilst reading this unusual plot.

Pulled me in and I might just have to go and look up this series for future reading.
Jason Stakvel
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice prequel, but this is a very short story.
Joe McLean
Feb 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: don-t-bother
How annoying. Nothing more than a preview posing as a novel.
Veronica
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intriguing! Definitely best read after Enslaved. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Ann Thomas
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended
Trisha Perry
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a awesome short story by a wonderful author, however, this is not one of his middle grade stories. This one is for adults, it is fast paced with a complex story line, that will make you think but is very fun to follow. There is tons of action to keep your interest while the characters blossom into there full selves. This is really hard to talk about without giving the story away but the story was so fun it went by in the blink of a eye and I wished there was more, (and I think there is m ...more
Filip
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reas as part of my read of the short story collection "The Immortality Chronicles", Scout was certainly a thrill to read, and has easily whetted my appetite for more of D. Robert Pease's works!
William Shafer
May 14, 2018
Jake
Feb 12, 2018
Rick
Dec 23, 2015
Vicky Camp
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book to get you thinking.

I liked this short story.

As an intro into a future where humanity has been, unknowingly, pushed and pulled toward what is thought to be the ultimate annihilation, this is a great success.

Does the soul exist? Are humans the only ones who could possibly have one? Is an alien just someone from another place or could it be that a true alien is someone outside of an ideal? To a being set on only it's own advancement, at the cost of all life, the inability to conceive of go
Rose
Feb 24, 2018
Norma
Aug 01, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017, reviewed, s-f, short
"Something worth dying for."
Immortality seems so attractive - to those who do not have it. But what if you were condemned to be revived again, and again, and again, no matter how frequently you die?
This densely packed adventure story raises questions as well as being an exciting read. Well written, quick, easy, and more than just is on the page. Recommended intriguing science fiction.
Scott Robinson
Dec 26, 2015
D. Robert Pease has been interested in creating worlds since childhood. From building in the sandbox behind his house, to drawing fantastical worlds with paper and pencil, there has hardly been a time he hasn't been off on some adventure in his mind, to the dismay of parents and teachers alike. Also, since the moment he could read, books have consumed vast swaths of his life. From The Mouse and th ...more