Start by marking “Of Sand and Malice Made (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Of Sand and Malice Made (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #0.5)

Of Sand and Malice Made

(The Song of the Shattered Sands 0.5)

Çeda, the heroine of the widely anticipated, just-released novel Twelve Kings in Sharakhai, is the youngest pit fighter in the history of the great desert city of Sharakhai. In this prequel, she has already made her name in the arena as the fearsome, undefeated White Wolf; none but her closest friends and allies know her true identity.

But this all changes when she crosses
Published September 6th 2016 by DAW Books

To ask other readers questions about Of Sand and Malice Made, please sign up.
Bradley Sorry for the late reply! Yes, Gollancz is publishing this in the UK as well. They just had a cover reveal, with a giveaway included (UK-only):

…more

Bradley
Oct 19, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Please like this review. I'll be using it to post updates to the book.

Jan 10th, 2017 - Of Sand and Malice Made is up for a Stabby Award in the Short Fiction category! If you enjoyed the book, I'd love your vote. Just open to the short fiction category in the /r/Fantasy post for the Stabby Awards and upvote it! Voting closes tomorrow, Jan 11th, 2017!

Dec 28th, 2016 - With Blood Upon the Sand has ARCs (Advanced Reader Copies). Find out more at my blog. If you're a reviewer and would like a review c
Connor
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Video Review:

Wow! I really love how well this prequel novels ties into the main books. I definitely recommend reading this before (With) Blood Upon the Sand or immediately following because events that happen in Of Sand and Malice Made affect what happens in the second main novel. Fast-paced and engaging.
Bob Milne
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-epic
Serving as a prequel to Twelve Kings in Sharakhai, the first book of The Song of Shattered Sands, Of Sand and Malice Made is a thoroughly entertaining story that adds another layer to the world that Bradley P. Beaulieu has created.

Consisting of three interlinked tales, this is a book that goes beyond mere setting and culture to put a true Arabian Nights spin on epic fantasy. That fact surprised me almost as much as it delighted me, for it seems rather fitting that Çeda's first chapter should hav
Lindsay
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read the novel that this is a prequel to, but I'm going to rectify that at some point soon.

This novella is made up of three interlinked stories with Çeda, a young pit fighter with a dark past, and her interactions with Rümayesh, an ehrekh, a demonic/djinn like creature.

By this point Çeda has already made a name for herself as the White Wolf, fighting in the pits, but she also works for her handler Osman doing various criminal work. Unfortunately her exploits of attracted the notice of
Samir
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're planning to start The Song of the Shattered Sands series, this serves as a great introduction to the magical world and the leading character. If you're already a fan, then you will certainly enjoy this one as well.
Lisa
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy, novella
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/0...

This novella could easily be used as an introduction to Çeda and the world Beaulieu has created in The Song of the Shattered Sands series. Çeda was one of my favorite parts of Twelve Kings of Sharakhai as I love her strength in spirit as well as her strength in the fighting pits. Of Sand and Malice Made is an interesting look into Çeda at an earlier time in her life.

Prequels are interesting beasts. I have read some where the s
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/10/02/...

In my review of Twelve Kings in Sharakhai by Bradley P. Beaulieu, I called the book’s main character one of the best female protagonists I have encountered in years. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I learned later that there was also a prequel novella in the works, and that Çeda will once again be the focus of this tale.

And so I read Of Sand and Malice Made, despite my usual disinclination to pick up novellas and sh
Kelly
This was fun- I think I liked it even better than Sharakhai. Review should go up on B&N this week, will post a link when it does.
Yoda
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dont really like reading short stories but this one. I wish I knew this prologue was that good. Cause now I really need to read the whole series. ...more
Karina Read
I really enjoyed this novella and Ceda’s adventure with an ehrekh. It explained a few more things about the world and I enjoyed Brama’s character. I’m so excited to start book two 😍😍
Paul
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid fantasy in the vein of Arabian Knights. It also contains one of my favourite fantasy tales in Irindai, which I first read in the fantasy anthology, Blackguards. If you're a fan of Middle Eastern mythology, this trio of connected stories should satisfy your urge for sand, scimitars, and sorcery.
Mili
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-the-book
A prequel novella with tales about Çeda. 3.5 🌟. I love fast reads inbetween! Of Sand and Malice Made gives a small glimpse into Çeda her adventures. This one focussing on an encounter with an ehrekh! Fabulous dark and magical creatures. Made by the gods and they love to toy with humans. I wasn't entirely blown away by the novella and I certainly think I enjoyed it more after reading Twelve Kings. Because some of the characters were already fleshed out a bit in Twelve Kings they had more meaning ...more
Che Adventure
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
My review Of Sand and Malice Made
Helen
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written as a prequel to the Twelve Kings series. I haven't read any of his other material so the characters were new to me and therefore, spoiler free.

Three interwoven tales tell us of Ceda, a pit-fighter who doubles as a runner for her dodgy boss. This reminded me a little of the Bel Dame trilogy particularly with a desert setting but the stories are dis-similar.

There is a djinn-like character who fixates on Ceda and the story quickly escalates.
Paul
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The depth of mythology the author is building around this series is amazing. Loved Twelve Kings and with such a kickass character as Ceda why not write more stories around here.
The novella is a prequel to Twelve Kings and shows a younger Ceda basically fighting for her existence.
Interesting premise again and an additional layer of depth to the series.
FanFiAddict
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: ★★★★☆

Synopsis

But this all changes when she crosses the path of Rümayesh, an ehrekh, a sadistic creature forged long ago by the god of chaos. The ehrekh are
Kaitlin
* I was sent this for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review *

I knew I would almost certainly enjoy this when I got it becuase I LOVED Twelve Kings by Bradley Beaulieu and within this we are following the same main character of Çeda. Çeda is a younger version in this book becuase this is a prequel to Twelve Kings, but already from her adventure we can start to see the young woman she becomes in the later book.

This has some beautiful illustrations at the start of each part (ther
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: .

This felt a lot shorter than it was, I flew through it.

Based on this I will definitely read on in the series and tackle those longer (dauntingly long) books.

It was a nice introduction to the world, and I loved how the world was described. I could feel the hot sun beating down, the cool splash of water, the squirm-inducing moths (ew).
Crini
I’ve been a huge fan of the first book in the series, Twelve Kings of Sharakhai, and I can’t wait to read more books set in this stunning world. I was all too happy to get to read a sequel about one of my favorite female protagonists.

I’m usually not a fan of additional short stories for series because they often feature content that has been hinted at in the full length books before, but wasn’t worth going into details. Of Sand and Malice made is not such a short story. Of Sand and Malice Made i
eyes.2c
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
Fascinating!

A story in three parts sprung from the desert sands. Beaulieu refers to this as the little book that could. The way the three parts blend from one to the next is curiously masterful.
Çeda, known in the pits of the desert city of Sharakhai as White Wolf, finds herself pitted against an ehrekh, a creature sprung from the whims of the God of chaos.
When Brama Junayd'ava steals Çeda's purse she rectifies the situation, yet Osman takes her to task for toying with Brama. He points out to her
David
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It wasn’t as good as the larger installments to the series, but there is no surprise there. I enjoyed it all the same.
Peter
This is a pretty cool little book! I won this as well as Twelve Kings in Sharakhai in a contest from the publisher without having read anything from this author. This little novella served as a nice introduction to the series and author, and I'm glad I started here.

It's a well-written story filled with mythology and magic. I'm story sucker for these types of settings, and I'm really easily sucked into the types of desert folklore that typically play into it. It seems like the author has a reall
Eduardo Mezzavilla
I was in doubt if i should read it before or after reading Twelve Kings in Sharakhai, but, i'm happy i did, the hype for the novel is really high now.
Çeda is a amazing character, the world is great, the mythology is very interessing and people use moth as drugs, is no way to not like it.
Stoffe
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Prequels are an interesting cultural affair. In movies the have been used to extend the life of a franchise, maybe the actors are too old or just not interested in continuing, maybe it is a promise once made to fans that the background story will one day be revealed, only to fall short i.e. Star Wars 1-3 or Prometheus. In literature it is something different; a device an author might use to further explore their created world, to tell those tales merely hinted at in a fleeting moment between two ...more
Sana
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting Çeda to be as young as 16 in this, but she's as amazing a main character as ever so no complaints. I really hope this isn't the last we see of the ehrekh(s), though.
Philippa Mary
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received a digital copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
3.5/4 I really enjoyed this addition to Ceda's story. I have to admit that I did initially struggle abit with book one of the series (Twelve Kings) as it is a very slow paced, character driven fantasy book. I did really enjoy it though, it just took me a while to get into it. I think I was engaged with this alot more, because I knew exactly what to expect to terms of the writing etc. I thought this was an intriguing + eng
Louie Reynolds
I was expecting book 2. It's a solid story however I've never been a huge novella fan, I like depth which generally needs length (ok that sounds awfully wrong) I wanted book 2, little early for a pre story. However this may be the perfect start for people before 12 kings, however if you are still unsure, get dug into 12 kings, my book of the year last year, it really is superb.
Jacqie
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a series of three interconnected short stories. I've never read anything in this series before, but since it's a prequel I don't think I missed anything.

The main character is Ceda, an orphaned girl who's sworn revenge on the Twelve Kings because of what they did to her family (I don't actually know what they did; that isn't discussed in this book). She's a pit fighter and can handle herself. In the first story
Stuart
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ryan Mueller
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a good short novel. It was an interesting look at an event from Ceda's past, and I enjoyed the quick pacing throughout. It didn't have the same epic feel as the other books in the series, but that's to be expected from a shorter book focused on a more personal story.

Rating: 8/10
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Trial of Intentions (The Vault of Heaven, #2)
  • Red Tide (The Chronicles of the Exile, #3)
  • The Penitent Damned (The Shadow Campaigns #0.5)
  • King Breaker (King Rolen's Kin #4)
  • Murder at the Kinnen Hotel (Powder Mage, #0.3)
  • Lightning in the Blood (Ree Varekai, #2)
  • The Gate To Futures Past (Reunification #2)
  • A Whisper of Southern Lights (Assassin, #3)
  • Halls of Law
  • The Ghoul King (Dreaming Cities, #2)
  • Spymaster (The Dragon Corsairs, #1)
  • Instruments of War (The Warlock Sagas #1)
  • Sunset Mantle
  • Empire Ascendant (Worldbreaker Saga, #2)
  • The Butcher of Khardov
  • The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • Recluce Tales: Stories from the World of Recluce
  • Redemption's Blade (After The War, #1)
Bradley P. Beaulieu began writing his first fantasy novel in college, but life eventually intervened. As time went on, though, Brad realized that his love of writing and telling tales wasn't going to just slink quietly into the night. The drive to write came back full force in the early 2000s, at which point Brad dedicated himself to the craft, writing and learning under the guidance of writers li ...more

The Song of the Shattered Sands (6 books)
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakhai (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #1)
  • With Blood Upon the Sand (The Song of the Shattered Sands #2)
  • A Veil of Spears (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #3)
  • Beneath the Twisted Trees (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #4)
  • When Jackals Storm the Walls (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #5)
  • A Desert Torn Asunder (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #6)